• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The worst thing about Arya killing the Night King isn't necessarily that she does it, but that it's done in this fashion at all.

The last time the Night King and the WW invaded Westeros it took the entirety of Westeros banding together and a couple of legendary, magically enhanced heroes to be able to defeat him only temporarily. Now he comes back with an even bigger army than before to an even more fractured Westeros than before and... he and all his forces are permanently killed when he falls for an obvious trap and some human with half a year training to become a ninja super assassin kills him with a single stab to the stomach.

Man, if only those First Men and Children of the Forest had a ninja super assassin, they wouldn't have needed all those armies and those legendary heroes.

There are so many things wrong with this statement.

First of all it was not "half a year" lol

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Ending should have been a fight scene like this (silent hill revelation movie ending spoilers)

Fucking YIKES

he worst thing about Arya killing the Night King isn't necessarily that she does it, but that it's done in this fashion at all.

The last time the Night King and the WW invaded Westeros it took the entirety of Westeros banding together and a couple of legendary, magically enhanced heroes to be able to defeat him, but only temporarily.
Note this is the stuff of hearsay and legend. We don't know the full story.

There are so many things wrong with this statement.

First of all it was not "half a year" lol
Character shown training since episode 1, has several scenes throughout the series where she's learning how to fight and kill effectively, even stopping by the best assassin guild in the world for at least a year.

"It's only been half a year."

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Feeling bummed out about NK's death, instead of being a powerful or intriguing moment like Hodor's death, it was just 'WTF where did Ayra come from' I really hope the last 3 episodes end the series on a high note.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, the motives for Dany at this point to still want the Iron Throne if she's badly outnumbered is kinda stupid anyway.

You just saved humanity, that was your purpose, it's far greater than sitting on some dumb throne.

It's like curing cancer but being down on yourself because you don't achieve your initial goal of being a stage actor or something, lol.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol everyone complains about Arya being too anime but neglect to mention the straight out of Dragonball Z scene of the white walker being unphased by dragon fire

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest twist from last night: None of the dead characters had to be killed again by their friends and loved ones.

Oct 27, 2017
Going to be rewatching this episode a few times before episode 4.

Fantastic television deserves to be appreciated.

Still confused how people had trouble properly calibrating and adjusting their televisions. Episode was shot perfectly and the lighting (or lack there-of) was perfect for the setting and the battle.

I really didn't think it was possible to pull off such a long battle scene without it becoming monotonous or dragging on but the writers and Miguel really outdid themselves pacing it perfectly. The ebbs and flows just worked, the character moments worked and the sense of dread was always palpable. I wish other shows could pull off a fraction of the atmosphere Game of Thrones produces.

Now show me that Ghost survived his excursion with the Dothraki. He better not be dead. As an aside, I half expected Nymeria and her pack to show up during that battle to help out.

Plum

May 31, 2018
TV manufacturers should just use this episode in their calibration wizards from now on.

Clearly it is the final boss of TV calibration.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would say every major battle episode in the show was better from a storytelling perspective despite the fact that this episode destroyed them all in scale.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
This promo photo from the ep just breaks my heart, they've been through so much.

Daenerys-Dany-Targaryen-Jorah-Mormont-Season-8-803-The-Long-Night-Header-Zoomed-In.jpg
Yeah. I'm sure they've gotten close too in real life, so I'm sure that helped her acting.

Not besties, but friends. I know I cried when one of my coworkers quit, after working relatively close with him for another 10 years. Not a daily thing, but a few times a week.

Rigbones

Oct 25, 2017
I don't expect the thread itself to refrain from spoilers, but dang having a thread title wandering the general subforum of Etcetera less than 24 hours after the episode airs that clearly spoils the Night King's loss is pretty brutal, no?

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil

Amazing gifs.

About the cavalry charge, although I have major reservations towards the battle plans as a whole, it's worth pointing out that films as a whole are a terrible rerence to how cavalry charges work. Cavalry would often engage in combat and then fall back behind the infantry to reform. The idea here could be of a first skirmish and then a retreat. The problem is that they thought they were charging against a wall of infantry, not a wave of death.

Oct 29, 2017
What this feels like is when the DM builds an entire personal plotline for your one of your pals, but then you (who are better at combat) steal the boss kill in the end.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
My only beef with the visuals of the episode is what it did to the unsullied. They didn't really look like an army, more a collection of scarecrows with shields that were being knocked over.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I'd have even preferred something like Theon pulling an arrow out his ass and stabbing NK with it after getting stabbed by him, than Arya teleporting into the scene, then running and screaming straight for NK. They could've made it work and showed Arya actually using her abilities to somehow get through the horde and then just had the death play out the same, but they didn't, there was nothing stealthy about how Arya killed him, really don't get why people are saying she trained to be a master assassin.

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018
There is no way that Cersei could lose militarily from now on :

Cersei has :
- the Golden company (20 000 elite troops)
- Lannister troops
- Euron's fleet
- anti-dragon ballistas
- she is defending which is easier

Jon Snow and Daenerys have :
- 2 dragons (and I don't think Rhaegar is in a good shape)
- remnants of their army = almost nothing (and they lost their entire cavalery)
Seem like your positioning yourself for disappointment. The ballista was largely useless. Euron is fickle as fuck and ready to betray st a moments notice and the golden company is on foreign soil. Enron's fleet will be nuked to high hell and the top 5 nights in Westeros plus history's greatest assassin are all on danys side.

I'm looking forward to you crying bullshit when they win tho

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
I would say every major battle episode in the show was better from a storytelling perspective despite the fact that this episode destroyed them all in scale.

do we consider the wight hunt a major battle

because this episode was about 100x better than that piece of crap. this episode was stupid at times but nowhere near as stupid as that episode

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine explaining to the last few Dothraki of the entire bloodline why you sent their entire race into pitch black against that.

I was wondering a few weeks ago what Dany would do with the Dothraki if she took the throne. Would they get lands, or titles, or castles (or just lands if they dont want castles) I mean if they aren't slaves and she isn't paying them, then they have to get something right?

But now that they're dead then we don't have to worry about that anymore. Very convenient.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
except posters on Era, whom thought it was painfully obvious Arya was going to do it, and that she trained for like a few days to be an assassin and now she is.

Seriously, people assumed she would kill the Night King when she got the dagger last year. After the first episode this season, people pointed out how her stealthily sneaking up on Jon could be how she defeats the White Walkers. I just wish we could have seen how she did it. It looked like the lieutenants formed a formidable ring around the Night King. Suspense is one thing but the story still has to make some sense. That's why there's a teleporting Arya meme.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
i guess some have seen the last two episodes...i loved this episode, thought it was perfect, i am glad that the night king ended now and quickly.

the end of hardhome, jon being at the nights watch, jon being resurrected, the red witch's interest in him, that had nothing to do with the night king? it was just about the iron throne?

come on dude

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Enjoyed it. I saw it coming but still thought she may have not managed. The hopelessness was something else, great stuff. Sure you can knock it for how long some characters were going in certain circumstances but other than that thought it was great.

Now to read thread and find the opposite :p

Oct 27, 2017
I actually thought Drogon had decapitated Viserion though in the sky before seeing him later on trying to get Jon in the courtyard. I was a bit confused at first thinking one of the other dragons were turned.

Wasn't it Rhaegal that had Viserion in his jaws? Or did Drogon as well after he and Dany saved Rhaegal from getting speared to death by the Night King?

I thought the undead dragon was Rhaegal for a second too because he kind of just disappeared after that battle. We only see him again in the preview for the next episode with his wings full of holes.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Another issue with the battle if we're being honest is that all the hero moments come from named characters.

If there were moments where the army were slaughtering the dead for a bit, you'd get some hopes up. They went too hard for a massacre without massacring the important people.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone calling the Night King and White Walkers useless must have blinked and missed all the people they had killed over the last seven and a half seasons swarming over Winterfell.

A centuries-old threat, which prompted the construction of a 700-foot high, magically reinforced, continent-spanning wall, required to be manned by thousands of people sworn to defend it for life, has broken through said wall and is now, supposedly, a threat to all life on the continent, if not the planet. There are prophecies about the coming conflict, and religions based on it. It's such a tremendous threat that everyone who faces it assumes they will die. It's even called "death" several times.

A week later: never mind, we took care of it in an hour. Let's all bicker about who's the king. You know, the very thing that supposedly was going to make us so divided that we'd never be able to deal with this planetary-scale threat.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
do we consider the wight hunt a major battle

because this episode was about 100x better than that piece of crap. this episode was stupid at times but nowhere near as stupid as that episode

Yeah you're right that episode made absolutely no sense. I was only thing of the loot train battle from last season.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
the end of hardhome, jon being at the nights watch, jon being resurrected, the red witch's interest in him, that had nothing to do with the night king? it was just about the iron throne?
Every second he spent distracting the Night King and uniting the people who mattered to face this threat mattered. Now he has no plot armor technically.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I was wondering a few weeks ago what Dany would do with the Dothraki if she took the throne. Would they get lands, or titles, or castles (or just lands if they dont want castles) I mean if they aren't slaves and she isn't paying them, then they have to get something right?

But now that they're dead then we don't have to worry about that anymore. Very convenient.

At least they actually killed them instead of just killing their named representative and that being enough to end their House.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
All that trouble bringing those Dothraki over just to have them all die in a pointless charge that every single military tactician in the world would've advised against.

At least it created some nice imagery.

It terms of battle strategy, the writing is completely lazy. No subtleties, no surprises, no cleverness.
The episode was a bit disappointing because of that.

I also expected Arya to take Bran's face at the end and kill the NK in a surprise move.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
imagine arya not killing cersei lol

Jaime and Cersei came into the world together, and they'll leave it together.

They didn't know she was gonna kill him until 3 years ago

and building up Jon and Dany meant shit lol

From day -1, the heroes of ASoIaF/GoT have been Jon, Arya, Bran, Dany, and Tyrion. Only two of those characters have any combat ability to speak of.

Even if D&D weren't decided between Jon and Arya for the task in S1-5, they had to make sure both were plausible. With the story beats of the episode and the status of the series, Arya was the better choice to end the NK in the end.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.