• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
I agree with him but he's still going to get shit on by armchair directors.

Good night sweet Freddie Prince.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
And she is no more powerful than Luke was with only like 2 hours of training. You are missing the point entirely. Watch Freddie.

You don't get more powerful in the force from training. Period. Straight from Lucas. The force isn't a video game, you don't level up like an RPG. You are capable of whatever you BELIEVE you are capable of.

There is no such thing as training to be more powerful in the force. Yoda made that clear in ESB with the X-Wing. Luke was capable of doing anything as long as he believed he could do it.

Anyone who thinks you can get more powerful in the force through practice doesn't have a fucking clue how the Force works and plays too many video games as Freddie aptly put. The KOTOR games ain't how the Force works.

There are no such thing as power levels in Star Wars.

But there are. You think anyone can reach Anakin Skywalker's level?

George Lucas:Anakin, as Skywalker, as a human being, was going to be extremely powerful, but he ended up losing his arms and a leg and became partly a robot. So a lot of his ability to use the Force, a lot of his powers, are curbed at this point, because, as a living form, there's not that much of him left. So his ability to be twice as good as the Emperor disappeared, and now he's maybe 20 percent less than the Emperor. So that isn't what the Emperor had in mind. He wanted this really super guy, but that got derailed by Obi-Wan. So he finds that, with Luke, he can get a more primo version if he can turn Luke to the dark side."

Midichlorians are still canon and they're basically a confirmation of power levels.

Anyways, Luke's been training for years between ANH and ESB. Rey didn't haven't that. The ST takes place over a few weeks.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
But there are. You think anyone can reach Anakin Skywalker's level?

Midichlorians are still canon and they're basically a confirmation of power levels.

Anyways, Luke's been training for years between ANH and ESB. Rey didn't haven't that. The ST takes place over a few weeks.

You just took a quote from Lucas that states pretty clearly that Anakin as Vader can not grow his power... then turn around and say that Luke's been training for years between ANH and ESB to... justify his power level?

MikeyLikesIt

Banned
Sep 24, 2019
A few things in reply to Prinze's rant:

1. Has he not heard about the death of the author?

2. People are fans of Darth Maul because he looks sick AND BECAUSE LUCAS HIMSELF BROUGHT HIM BACK in The Clone Wars. It has nothing to do with video games, he's only in what, Battlefront and Battlefront II multiplayer? If Prinze wants to dismiss die hard Maul fans (who are fans because of The Clone Wars, an animated series) then he's also saying that we should dismiss everything Rebels.

3. "There's no such thing as a grey Jedi." Well, in the recent Empire article the following is stated: "Ren's temptation by the light, like Rey's temptation by the dark, forms the spine of a moral ambiguity that Johnson build on in VIII and very much carries over to IX, bringing with is a sense that George Lucas' more clearly defined duality might be a relic of a simpler time. Neither light nor dark, The Rise of Skywalker and its characters exist more within what could be considered the grey side of the Force – something underscored by the tantalising footage of 'Darth Rey' (complete with cowl, hangover pallor and double-bladed red lightsaber) that closed Abrams' D23 Expo footage presentation in Anaheim in August.

Oops.

4. The Force willing everything is as bad as midi-chlorians. Not only is learning the Jedi ways dependent on one's midi-chlorian count, now nobody has any real agency because things happen as the Force wills it. It was great when the Force was a power that anyone could harness through training and adopting a certain mindset.

Last edited:

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Anyone who pushes Rey is too powerful is a sexist. We don't need to tip toe around it. Because the people who whine about this never lifted a finger to complain about it with Luke.

Luke is the standard. He set it. He's also the son of Force Jesus.

Rey's just powerful because she's the main character and also the movies aren't interested in training her.

All Luke did was tell Rey what the Force is. That is the extent of her training.

You're not a sexist if you think the movies do an inadequate job of explaining why Rey is so skilled.

"Midichlorians"

Anyone who is offended by Rey being super strong in the force, is arguing over something that's already been ruined and buried. No reason to assume that any random person can't be obscenely strong in the force at this point.

(That being said, TLJ is trash)

I mean even Anakin had to train to use his shit. There's a difference between having a high potential and knowing how to use it all.

Using the Force is basically like bending the rules of the Matrix in Matrix. You don't need to train, you just have to believe

Then why aren't Jedi children the best at using the Force?

Luke was not a fighter, he was a farmer. He had experience in Piloting so that's what he excelled at. Rey was a survivor for nearly her whole life. She was a fighter and had developed a strong will in order to survive.

Debating "feats" is always a mess, so I try not to get into that. My point in this post is that they both excelled in the areas they had experience in as detailed in their respective stories.

Clearly, living as a scavenger makes her as good a fighter as a Jed who has been training for years at it.
You just took a quote from Lucas that states pretty clearly that Anakin as Vader can not grow his power... then turn around and say that Luke's been training for years between ANH and ESB to... justify his power level?

Lucas is talking about Anakin's potential which can be set by biological factors. That's why Palpatine wants to ditch Luke for Darth Vader. Vader can't get any stronger. It's baked into the story.

Luke's not that strong in ESB but his potential is as high as Anakin's. It's all about training to achieve that potential.

It even takes him time to do a Force Pull for his lightsaber at the beginning of ESB.

Rey did that shot pretty fast in comparison.

ISWThunder

Oct 30, 2017
I mean even Anakin had to train to use his shit. There's a difference between having a high potential and knowing how to use it all.

While Jedi do have to train to hone their techniques and prevent themselves from slipping to the dark side, it is very clear that Anakin is using the force before he knows that the force exists of that he is force sensitive. That's the only way he is able to, as a human child, pod race.

There's nothing in Star Wars canon that prevents a highly force sensitive person from being able to connect with aspects of their power without proper training.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I'm jealous I have never been a fan of Star Wars, and sometimes I'm happy that I'm not into it (when bad things happen around it, bad games, apparently unsatisfactory movies, D&D going to Star Wars after GOT). I need to finish The Last Jedi some day, I keep running it in the background hoping to catch story enough to complete it but I eventually need to use the screen or close it for some important reason.

Good to see FPJ laying out law (haven't watched video but read the summary).

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
He got one speech during a single exercise and didn't reach a moment of clarity or understanding with it at all. Rey getting the JMT used directly on her is far more experience in a technique than what Luke got on the Millennium Falcon.
wat

under what jedi did he learn to move things with hims mind?
So you guys don't think Obi trained him in others things while hitching that ride? Lol ok

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
ResetEra's a pretty progressive forum so it just rankles discussion when people start implying or being obvious that people who don't accept the progression of Rey's powers is a sexist.

It's not arguing in good faith.

It's just self-righteous stereotyping of their opponents so they can feel good about themselves.

OP obviously wants to squash discussion but all they're doing by bringing this topic back up is causing another shitstorm again.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
His rant doesn't suddenly make any of the characters interesting or the movies anything more than nostalgia cash grabs.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Luke is the standard. He set it. He's also the son of Force Jesus.

Rey's just powerful because she's the main character and also the movies aren't interested in training her.

All Luke did was tell Rey what the Force is. That is the extent of her training.

You're not a sexist if you think the movies do an inadequate job of explaining why Rey is so skilled.

Then why aren't Jedi children the best at using the Force?

Clearly, living as a scavenger makes her as good a fighter as a Jed who has been training for years at it.

Lucas is talking about Anakin's potential which can be set by biological factors. That's why Palpatine wants to ditch Luke for Darth Vader. Vader can't get any stronger. It's baked into the story.

Luke's not that strong in ESB but his potential is as high as Anakin's. It's all about training to achieve that potential.

It even takes him time to do a Force Pull for his lightsaber at the beginning of ESB.

Why are you so obsessed with where Rey got her skills?

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
While Jedi do have to train to hone their techniques and prevent themselves from slipping to the dark side, it is very clear that Anakin is using the force before he knows that the force exists of that he is force sensitive. That's the only way he is able to, as a human child, pod race.

There's nothing in Star Wars canon that prevents a highly force sensitive person from being able to connect with aspects of their power without proper training.

I'm not saying that's impossible either but Rey goes through all of Luke's greatest hits by the end of her first movie. I'm already finding that a stretch.

But I mean Luke and Anakin are powerful for very specific reasons.

Rey is just this good because she's the MC.

And if the movie was telling me she's almost as good as Luke then that'd be easier to take but it's telling that she's better than Luke and Anakin which I find harder to take

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Lol! That was great, and spot on. I've actually stopped going into Star Wars threads and talking about it, because a very vocal group of fans have managed to suck the fun right out of discussion of the series and characters. Arguing the same points over and over again is exhausting to me, not enjoyable.

I absolutely love Star Wars, and have since I first saw the trilogy in the mid 80's as a kid, but I just can't discuss it online anymore. The sequel trilogy has been pretty great so far, and I'm excited as fuck for The Rise of Skywalker, but I'm not sure I'll be joining in on forum discussions much. The discourse around TFA and TLJ has been a huge turnoff for me.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Lucas' sequel trilogy was going to be about how the Whills actually control all life forms from the microscopic world

Avengers Endgame is about time travelling through the microscopic world. Execution is key.

And guess what? The execution of the latest movies isn't so hot with audiences despite playing super safe

Jest

Oct 28, 2017

She lived on her own on a hostile planet both in atmosphere and inhabitants. For her to survive would necessitate learning how to fight. Lightsaber training does not make an elite fighter. It's about learning how to use such a dangerous weapon, when to use it, and how utilizing the Force can supplement and amplify one's performance.

She's also not shown to be better at fighting than Kylo. She's shown to defeat him when he's seriously wounded and emotionally compromised (which negatively effects his ability to wield The Force).

He's not talking about potential. He's talking about raw power that Anakin possessed before being mamed vs losing access to a significant portion after being mamed. He doesn't need to reach a potential max, he is AT his max until he loses his limbs. This is why The Jedi Council is wary of him the entire time. Because he's essentially a walking nuclear bomb. The purpose of the training, for both Jedi and Sith is about molding the mind. Thought processes. World view. Not about developing potential power.

Luke's strength is always greater than Vader's. What allows Vader to beat him in ESB is that Luke's emotions are clouded and his mind is not clear. What allows him to overpower Vader in RotJ is his channeling the rage but what makes him win is mental clarity at the last moment (a realization that causes a mental breakthrough) and THAT gives him the ability to bring Vader back to the Light Side. None of that is from training techniques. At most, meditation could play a role but mental clarity and breakthroughs aren't reached through training the same way that physique or physical skill is. It's not a bit by bit over time thing. It's moments of sudden realization. And different people have those moments at different times throughout different experiences.

So you guys don't think Obi trained him in others things while hitching that ride? Lol ok

Obi really doesn't train Luke physically at all. That happens with Yoda and even then is limited to physical conditioning. The lessons the Jedi impart upon Padawans are largely philosophical ones as well as the rules of the Order itself. They're Monks not MMA fighters. That's why there are no duel training scenes in the OT. Even the exercise of blocking the little lasers from the ball isn't about training use with the lightsaber. It's about feeling and trusting The Force. It's about reaching the right mind state to utilize what they already have correctly and without falling to the Dark Side.

Oct 26, 2017
I went in really expecting to love what he was about to say, but lord....that was an obnoxious ass rant.

Also, I disagree about the "leveling up." I get what he is going for, but there is obviously training that goes into helping one connect more with the force. I've no issue with Rey or Luke's skills whatsoever though...just saying that I think there are improvements to be made via training and "leveling up."

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
You forgot when Anakin gloated to the Count that his powers "doubled" since they last met 😆

I didn't forget it, it doesn't matter what he says because Anakin never understands the way of the Jedi or the Force. That's why he falls to the Dark Side. He literally talks about that throughout Attack and Revenge. He doesn't understand the Council. He doesn't get their reasoning. His logic is one that falls on the side of The Greater Power should Rule. So he doesn't understand that he's always been this powerful. He's measuring his strength the wrong way because his mental state is in the wrong place and that disconnect is what makes him vulnerable to Palpatine and causes his downfall.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Wow not even half a page before everyone who doesn't like the movie is a raging misogynist or an angry white man. Very cool, very progressive, very good praxis

It's the pits. If you don't like the movie you're automatically assumed to be an angry white man upset because of the minorities or something.
It is why I have largely stopped discussing star wars

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't forget it, it doesn't matter what he says because Anakin never understands the way of the Jedi or the Force. That's why he falls to the Dark Side. He literally talks about that throughout Attack and Revenge. He doesn't understand the Council. He doesn't get their reasoning. His logic is one that falls on the side of The Greater Power should Rule. So he doesn't understand that he's always been this powerful. He's measuring his strength the wrong way because his mental state is in the wrong place and that disconnect is what makes him vulnerable to Palpatine and causes his downfall.
I was making a cheeky comment about how dumb that dialog was

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Obi really doesn't train Luke physically at all. That happens with Yoda and even then is limited to physical conditioning. The lessons the Jedi impart upon Padawans are largely philosophical ones as well as the rules of the Order itself. They're Monks not MMA fighters.

Is this why there are Jedi holocrons from Anakin Skywalker explaining the proper form to fight and how to adapt to certain opponents? Or why Mace Windu was hailed as the greatest duelist in the Jedi Order? Or why there are actual scenes of dozens of padawans being taught by a Jedi Master how to wield a lightsaber?

You can't just ignore the parts you don't like, y'know.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
I was making a cheeky comment about how dumb that dialog was

Fair enough. It's never easy to tell in these types of threads when someone is joking or when they believe in what they're saying because a lot of the finer points get missed in how murky the movies have been in explaining things.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm not? You are the one who has an issue with her and her arc.

Of all the crazy/out there shit that happens in Star Wars, some people suddenly are concerned with where female characters get their powers/skills.

They were rhetorical questions.

First off, you're not arguing in good faith. You don't even know me and you're already trying to paint me as a misogynist because I don't think a fictional female character's feats are portrayed well.

Second, what makes you think I'm not concerned about all the other crazy shit? That isn't the topic here. I'm not going to go off in a tangent complaining about Force Ghostsz

Third, it devalues the stories of Anakin and Luke. If nobodies can be as powerful as Anakin then the integrity of the PT and OT along with TCW is smeared a bit. But the ST does that worse as a whole anyway.

Fourth, it's not compelling to watch. My opinion though.

Fifth, there's not really a good reason that she's as powerful as she is besides being the MC. Luke and Anakin had reasons.

Sixth, the ST tries to frame Rey as a nobody but then makes as special as Luke and Anakin. I find the whole thing disingenuous.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You forgot when Anakin gloated to the Count that his powers "doubled" since they last met 😆

You might think it was a stupid comment but, if you read Dark Disciple, you'd know the last time Anakin and Dooku fought was when Dooku was forced to run away because Anakin was winning. So Anakin saying that is really his way of saying Dooku doesn't stand a chance, rather than some arbitrary power level thing.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
"you're just pissed off Han Solo gave the Millennium Falcon to a girl"

Yawn. Stopped watching.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I'm still amazed that this rant came from the actor who portraed a primary example of "Jedi training that develops a character growing more powerful in a way that feels earned"

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
It's not the writer's fault, it's the force's fault!

In that case I hope the force wills us a better trilogy in the future. And I say that as someone who found TLJ at least moderately enjoyable.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Is this why there are Jedi holocrons from Anakin Skywalker explaining the proper form to fight and how to adapt to certain opponents? Or why Mace Windu was hailed as the greatest duelist in the Jedi Order? Or why there are actual scenes of dozens of padawans being taught by a Jedi Master how to wield a lightsaber?

You can't just ignore the parts you don't like, y'know.

You mean the stuff that Lucas and Filoni added years and years after the fact to fill out the universe and have actual things happening? I didn't say that training in the use of lightsaber forms, fighting, and techniques didn't exist. I said that Power and the ability to use those things didn't come from that training.

Mace's skill with a lightsaber came from his ability to use Vaapad.. which he was only able to do because of his mental focus and mind state. Almost all other users of Vaapad either fell to the Dark Side because of it or were already Dark Side Force Users.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm still amazed that this rant came from the actor who portraed a primary example of "Jedi training that develops a character growing more powerful in a way that feels earned"

huh?

Kanan training of ezra was more about feeling the force, believing in him and stuff like this.

it wasnt like "do 3 thousand pushups to unlock force choke"

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Star Wars is universal in that it has wide-reaching themes that can touch across every age and generation. But there is a layer of simplicity within that that really speaks to children (for example, Luke loses his hand but he immediately gets a new one and all is well, and they don't really explore the ramifications of some terrible acts) and I think that what he is saying is true. They are for everyone but they are made with children in mind. George Lucas himself has said that he made these movies for kids - even as recently as two years ago. I see far more people my age that grew up with the Prequel movies that love them than not. I'm sure we'll see the same thing with the Sequel movies once they've had time to simmer. The amount of little girls, for example, that I've seen wear Rey merchandise or even dress up as her for Halloween is staggering.

There is some kind of stigma in saying that "these are for kids" as if that means it is only for that age group but that isn't true at all. To me, The Mandalorian looks like the first Star Wars project (outside of books and comics) that is being specifically made to appeal to an older demographic imho.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
She lived on her own on a hostile planet both in atmosphere and inhabitants. For her to survive would necessitate learning how to fight. Lightsaber training does not make an elite fighter. It's about learning how to use such a dangerous weapon, when to use it, and how utilizing the Force can supplement and amplify one's performance.

She's also not shown to be better at fighting than Kylo. She's shown to defeat him when he's seriously wounded and emotionally compromised (which negatively effects his ability to wield The Force).

He's not talking about potential. He's talking about raw power that Anakin possessed before being mamed vs losing access to a significant portion after being mamed. He doesn't need to reach a potential max, he is AT his max until he loses his limbs. This is why The Jedi Council is wary of him the entire time. Because he's essentially a walking nuclear bomb. The purpose of the training, for both Jedi and Sith is about molding the mind. Thought processes. World view. Not about developing potential power.

Luke's strength is always greater than Vader's. What allows Vader to beat him in ESB is that Luke's emotions are clouded and his mind is not clear. What allows him to overpower Vader in RotJ is his channeling the rage but what makes him win is mental clarity at the last moment (a realization that causes a mental breakthrough) and THAT gives him the ability to bring Vader back to the Light Side. None of that is from training techniques. At most, meditation could play a role but mental clarity and breakthroughs aren't reached through training the same way that physique or physical skill is. It's not a bit by bit over time thing. It's moments of sudden realization. And different people have those moments at different times throughout different experiences.

Obi really doesn't train Luke physically at all. That happens with Yoda and even then is limited to physical conditioning. The lessons the Jedi impart upon Padawans are largely philosophical ones as well as the rules of the Order itself. They're Monks not MMA fighters. That's why there are no duel training scenes in the OT. Even the exercise of blocking the little lasers from the ball isn't about training use with the lightsaber. It's about feeling and trusting The Force. It's about reaching the right mind state to utilize what they already have correctly and without falling to the Dark Side.

Yes, I know. I need more than "she grew up on the streets and became a good fighter because of it"

He's talking about potential because Anakin wasn't twice as strong as Palpatine, he inly had the potential to be.

That's why Palpatine shouts out "Darth Vader will grow more powerful than either of us". Anakin's not there yet

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
huh?

Kanan training of ezra was more about feeling the force, believing in him and stuff like this.

it wasnt like "do 3 thousand pushups to unlock force choke"

Kanaans training was about all that AND combat skill, form, even how to adjust the settings of your freaking lightsaber.

It wasn't just "believe in yourself to become a god"

But hey whatever lets you sleep at night

That scene alone is more training and effort than Rey's in 2 movies. That's disgraceful

Edit: So much for "Just believe in yourself"

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kanaans training was about all that AND combat skill, form, even how to adjust the settings of your freaking lightsaber.

It wasn't just "believe in yourself to become a god"

But hey whatever lets you sleep at night

why would a fucking kid film series keep me from sleeping at night?

LOL

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Lol! That was great, and spot on. I've actually stopped going into Star Wars threads and talking about it, because a very vocal group of fans have managed to suck the fun right out of discussion of the series and characters. Arguing the same points over and over again is exhausting to me, not enjoyable.

I absolutely love Star Wars, and have since I first saw the trilogy in the mid 80's as a kid, but I just can't discuss it online anymore. The sequel trilogy has been pretty great so far, and I'm excited as fuck for The Rise of Skywalker, but I'm not sure I'll be joining in on forum discussions much. The discourse around TFA and TLJ has been a huge turnoff for me.
Yup.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
This rant was great. Freddie Prince Jr has been one of the most steadfast defenders of the current era of Star Wars on social media and he in this short video pretty much systematically tears to pieces the argument from those who complain that Rey is "too powerful" and doesn't have enough training. He is dead on correct that the Force is not something that you level up in through practice like a video game. The will of the force dictates all.

And he has a good reminder, Star Wars isn't for aging adult males anymore so stop expecting it to be aimed at you and grow up and get over it not matching your head canon.

"FUCK YOU GUYS"

Thank you Freddie, thank you.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
why would a fucking kid film series keep me from sleeping at night?

LOL

Considering how you rush to every single post criticizing the newest kid films in the series....

Again, Freddy himself portrayed exactly what everyone has asked and it certainly wasn't the "level up" dismissive BS.

So his argument is hilarious

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The force did it. Everything good and everything bad is because of the force. Kids died and became slaves because of the force. Yay.

the force is centrist.