• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
Ferdinand was about middle of the pack for my BE crew in terms of his raw stats, but he gets Seal Speed and Shatterslash, on top of a crest that sometimes just doesn't allow counter-attacks, so I would have been using him for the whole game no matter what

Bernie's great; just about the only problem with her was that she was directly competing with Shamir, and I don't know if I just got real lucky with Shamir but she was, like, a Seth-level good-ass prepromote

I kept using Bernie regardless but, mm, I could have been using Shamir and not feeling the absence too much except for the missing +20 to Hit

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
Caspar is built to be a brawler. His personal effectively gives him +10% accuracy to the enemy he targets (and it stacks with the accuracy ring).

Making him work pretty much comes down to picking up Death Blow from Brigand and sticking to a punch class and just beating things to death. People who have trouble with him probably made him an axe user (suboptimal) or split their focus.
Yeah i definitely focused more on axes and didn't bother to get class mastery on my first playthrough which is shame because advanced and intermediate classes have some amazing skills.

Oct 25, 2017
Such a great gambit honestly i'm surprised it's on an E rank battalion i feel wrong every time i use it on the early chapters.

Stride is one of the reasons why I'm not super optimistic for Lunatic/whatever. The other is Professor Rank.

We know what to expect out of Fire Emblem difficulty levels, but some of the new aspects (Gifting, Professor Rank, Battallions) require more fixes than simple value adjustments.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
My Ferdinand had crappy growths. He had the lowest strength of all my physical attackers (like 26) and couldn't take a hit.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Ferdinand was about middle of the pack for my BE crew in terms of his raw stats, but he gets Seal Speed and Shatterslash, on top of a crest that sometimes just doesn't allow counter-attacks, so I would have been using him for the whole game no matter what

Bernie's great; just about the only problem with her was that she was directly competing with Shamir, and I don't know if I just got real lucky with Shamir but she was, like, a Seth-level good-ass prepromote
I love Bernie a lot so I'm really reluctant to use Shamir too much but she does give off some Pent vibes, doesn't she?

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I am at the point in my GD playthrough that the missions are starting to intersect with my previous BE missions and it is really cool to see another side of things. I stopped for a turn to pay my respects on the spot Caspar fell in battle while Leonie was chasing after a fleeing NPC.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brave Bow guaranteeing Bernie doubles or quadruples *is* how I compensate for her Strength deficiencies lol - she's already getting the stat boosters, but you only get so many.

Brave Bow is pretty lategame so you gotta plan early on. Plus, it's more effective the higher Bernie's Strength stat is hence why I fed her all of my energy drops. She's pretty much a super mobile delete button by the endgame.

I hadn't considered the Brigand thing. Might be worth taking him back to that and grinding it up. Compared to the other top tier frontliners I still say he takes too much XP and effort, though.

Nobody in this game has EXP issues, especially with Byleth's God tier personal.

Ferdy being second on everything is sort of his whole issue, IMO. Maybe relative to the rest of the series he's great, but relative to the rest of the Eagles and the other great units I'm poaching, I'm comfortable putting him down a tier.

It's not really a matter of being 2nd best at anything. I don't think anybody on the team is gunning for his particular niche. He starts at D lance and D riding (the latter of which is really good due to the strength of mounted units) and has the 2nd most consistent growths on the team (even Byleth is flipping coins on all of her major stats, lol).

Going brigand and picking up Death Blow (it's that good lmao) and having him delete stuff with a Brave Lance is the way to go for him, imo.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Can attest, Death Blow Caspar is a god. First playthrough I made him a Wyvern Lord, second playthrough I made him a dedicated puncher.

But really, you can make anyone ridiculous in 3H. If they're physical, get them Death Blow ASAP. If they're magical, get them Fiendish Blow. If they're wanting to use bows long range, get them +20 Hit too.

Getting the right class masteries is paramount, and you shouldn't be afraid to lag behind tiers to do so if necessary. Way more beneficial than the few levels of slight growth alterations you'll see by promoting immediately along class lines.

Certifications boosting characters' stats to class bases allows you to effectively prevent total RNG screwage. All they require is a little forethought via skill management. Battalions' stat boosts are icing on the cake. Authority is a critical stat that people sorely overlook. Higher grade battalions give bonkers stats.

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
Stride is one of the reasons why I'm not super optimistic for Lunatic/whatever. The other is Professor Rank.

We know what to expect out of Fire Emblem difficulty levels, but some of the new aspects (Gifting, Professor Rank, Battallions) require more fixes than simple value adjustments.
Stride is definitely broken i think they could improve a lot by giving the enemies better battalions and better AI to use them effectively but i don't know if that's what they'll do, the rest of the stuff at least can be ignored you can just rest every weekend and not start with a NG+ and that should already ramp up the challenge significantly.

Not to mention there are actually some interesting maps in the game although most of them were the paralgues imo, but some story maps could be imporved by making turn deadlines much tighter and make some of the side stuff like rescuing villagers or defeating the death knight or protecting the crest stones etc... actual objectives.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
I'm curious what path did you take your Caspar on, mine was a War master and while he had really good strength his speed was kind of mediocre and he couldn't be left alone more than 2 battles without healing because he would die, maybe mine just got unlucky with levelups but i felt like he was definitely the weaker link on my team and the one i fed the most easy kills.

I took one look at Caspar and his axe-focused path and decided to make him a Wyvern Lord. He absolutely destroys maps when paired with Petra as a Falcon Knight. They are so good together that I can have them clear 1/3rd of the map as a pair while I work up the other side with the rest of the party.

He's so good in fact that he tends to be the highest level on my team by 1-2 levels.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Certifications boosting characters' stats to class bases allows you to effectively prevent total RNG screwage. All they require is a little forethought via skill management.

Indeed.

In fact the game should advertise this feature since it's without a doubt one of the best "innovations" on the class change concept.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I'm curious what path did you take your Caspar on, mine was a War master and while he had really good strength his speed was kind of mediocre and he couldn't be left alone more than 2 battles without healing because he would die, maybe mine just got unlucky with levelups but i felt like he was definitely the weaker link on my team and the one i fed the most easy kills.

My Caspar had healing focus so as long as he wasn't killed during the enemy phase due to a crit he could always heal off his damage.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't speak for Blue Lions or Golden Deer but it doesn't look like either of those houses have "bad" characters either

They finally made a fire emblem game where everyone in your starting roster is more or less viable, what the fuck

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
My Caspar had healing focus so as long as he wasn't killed during the enemy phase due to a crit he could always heal off his damage.
Yeah mine had it too, but the path i took had lots of mages who almost killed him instantly and lots of assasins, swordmasters and heroes who could double him and he couldn't hit them at all, he did alright against generals and knights tho.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
Just glancing at her growth and proficiencies, Leonie looks to be about on level with Petra? Which makes her a screaming death god. Definitely gonna be using her...

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Brave Bow is pretty lategame so you gotta plan early on. Plus, it's more effective the higher Bernie's Strength stat is hence why I fed her all of my energy drops. She's pretty much a super mobile delete button by the endgame.

Nobody in this game has EXP issues, especially with Byleth's God tier personal.

It's not really a matter of being 2nd best at anything. I don't think anybody on the team is gunning for his particular niche. He starts at D lance and D riding (the latter of which is really good due to the strength of mounted units) and has the 2nd most consistent growths on the team (even Byleth is flipping coins on all of her major stats, lol).

Going brigand and picking up Death Blow (it's that good lmao) and having him delete stuff with a Brave Lance is the way to go for him, imo.
Y'know what, I'd forgotten that the Brave Bow is supposed to be late game - I got one off an exchange student pretty early.
I suppose you're right about Caspar, but again - you can make him great, but other units in BE already are, and then he's got to compete against recruited units from other houses... Ferdinand has a similar issue, frankly.
Stride is definitely broken i think they could improve a lot by giving the enemies better battalions and better AI to use them effectively but i don't know if that's what they'll do, the rest of the stuff at least can be ignored you can just rest every weekend and not start with a NG+ and that should already ramp up the challenge significantly.

Not to mention there are actually some interesting maps in the game although most of them were the paralgues imo, but some story maps could be imporved by making turn deadlines much tighter and make some of the side stuff like rescuing villagers or defeating the death knight or protecting the crest stones etc... actual objectives.
I've noticed that a lot of enemies don't actually have ranks in Authority, which is why their Battalions suck so hard. Fixing enemy skills would go a ways, as would giving more units equipment. Stuff like Stride is probably too advanced for the AI to use effectively, but if they could figure out even a few cases, it'd be incredible.

Agreed on the objectives thing. I'd love to see them make a serious effort at branching out on that front. Rescuing villagers is... probably not how I'd go, those fuckers are stupid as hell. But adding Defense, Escape, and Seize missions in would be a good start, and then they can really start shaking things up. How about an Assassinate objective, where you have to kill the enemy commander and then need to escape their enraged army, or some combination of Seize where you need to clear out the area and then defend it for x turns? Oh, or Escapex2, where you need to get to and from a point on the map while the rest of the team holds the way.
I can't speak for Blue Lions or Golden Deer but it doesn't look like either of those houses have "bad" characters either

They finally made a fire emblem game where everyone in your starting roster is more or less viable, what the fuck
They had to - what happens if you end up with just them? Everybody else is totally missable!

Besides, the instruction and class mechanics in this one give you soooo much leeway in building people up. I really hadn't considered all the options yet, but really, it's pretty nuts.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Honestly defending villagers wouldn't be so annoying if rescue was a mechanic everyone had access to like in older games.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
I love Bernie a lot so I'm really reluctant to use Shamir too much but she does give off some Pent vibes, doesn't she?
She does! She's a monster! Her growths are good and her base stats are sky high. She can just show up and instantly slot into your team as one of the real ones like it ain't even a thing. She'll end up slower than Bernie, but... man. She's all right.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Am I missing something or is Great Knight just a downgrade from Paladin
Great knight is meant to be for fortress knights. A fair number of advanced classes don't have a master upgrade. I would honestly keep your paladin as a paladin, though holy knight is a decent master class for it thanks to the extra healing.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

Blue Lions are just as insane. Dedue is a monster tank with his personal; anything physical does 0 damage for most of the game -- and that's in a non-armor class, mind. Throw gauntlets on him and he'll one-round anything, too. Dimitri is a more min/max'd Edelgard, albeit without her Galeforce relic art (although his is basically a guaranteed "one-shot anything"). Ingrid's built to be an ideal Pegasus and/or Paladin. Sylvain's a solid all-rounder, like Ferdinand.

Mercedes gets hilarious MAG and RES, with a great healer personal. Annette is a great mage with lightweight wind magic, but high enough MAG to make its lower MT make no matter. Ashe is perhaps the weakest link, but a fine archer nonetheless. Axe strength allows him to easily dip into Death Blow and even become a bow Wyvern if he wants, which incidentally makes his personal decent QoL.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Just glancing at her growth and proficiencies, Leonie looks to be about on level with Petra? Which makes her a screaming death god. Definitely gonna be using her...
Leonie is easily one of the best units in the game IMO. She has excelled at every class I have promoted her throughout both my playthroughs.

I feel like I'm going to get outed as Leonie's #1 fan at this point but yeah, Leonie is a beast. Archer > Sniper > Bow Knight. In my last playthrough I gave her a crit ring and in most fights she had at least a 35% chance to crit.

TurokTTZ

Oct 25, 2017
just finished edelgard's route. having a lot of emotions.

how do y'all feel about edelgard? for me...

She is scum and beyond redemption. I am so happy i didnt choose her route first. Rhea is a nut but ultimately in the grand scheme of things, Rhea is salvageable unlike Edelgard. Lysithea is a miracle of the fodlan universe and she went through hell too. except Lysithea isnt a pos. whats edelgard's excuse?

shes nothing more than a pitiful puppet who believes in her script set by the very people responsible for her misery. she is a pathetic existence. Machiavelli can eat shit. she is wrong. I will never choose to protect her ever again. there is always a better way always. and her way totally aint it. Also, shes racist against manaketes. ****. that. noise.

for context. i have already played church and golden deer route. personally love the church route. because the final battle legit threw me off. as well as the music that is funeral of flowers. for me either church or golden deer is the canon route. El can eat dirt for all i care.

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
Agreed on the objectives thing. I'd love to see them make a serious effort at branching out on that front. Rescuing villagers is... probably not how I'd go, those fuckers are stupid as hell. But adding Defense, Escape, and Seize missions in would be a good start, and then they can really start shaking things up. How about an Assassinate objective, where you have to kill the enemy commander and then need to escape their enraged army, or some combination of Seize where you need to clear out the area and then defend it for x turns? Oh, or Escapex2, where you need to get to and from a point on the map while the rest of the team holds the way.
Totally, the thing is that the paralogues already do a bunch of cool objectives like this, or just different scenarios like in Ingrid's you have to make hear reach a certain point of the map, Petra has a similar one where you can have her reach an area but when you get close it actually turns out into avoid certain enemy commanders into reaching that area that spawn from 3 different points of the map, and more good shake ups like that in other paralogues.

Obviously i don't expect them to change the story maps that much when Lunatic comes around (although if it happens it woud be a nice surprise) but for the next game which hopefully builds on the bases of Three Houses more variety like that in the stroy maps seems possible.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y'know what, I'd forgotten that the Brave Bow is supposed to be late game - I got one off an exchange student pretty early.
I suppose you're right about Caspar, but again - you can make him great, but other units in BE already are, and then he's got to compete against recruited units from other houses... Ferdinand has a similar issue, frankly.

I disagree here too.

With the exception of Edelgard, all of your students start out roughly around the same level as each other. They're decent, but they're not mowing down enemies. They grow into themselves as they pick up more mastery skills, combat arts, stats, etc. Caspar isn't notably farther behind from the others; even in the earlygame, gauntlets are effectively bootleg Brave Weapons so he can definitely contribute. Brigand being a level 10 class makes it possible for Caspar (and the rest of the Brigand units) to snowball hard since earlygame Death Blow is so ridiculously good. I feel like it took Petra, Lindhart, Dorothea and even Hubert to grow into being killers slower than Caspar, imo.

It's not really a contest when you compare him to units outside of his class. Caspar's signature ability makes him the best brawler in the game, period. -10 evasion on all targets is just extremely good. Nobody else compares. Raphael? Strictly worse.

As for Ferdinand, he classes into Cavalry quicker than anyone else so he's not really worried about pulling his weight (though I recommend against going into Cavalry so quickly due to its -10% Speed growth penalty).

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blue Lions are just as insane. Dedue is a monster tank with his personal; anything physical does 0 damage for most of the game -- and that's in a non-armor class, mind. Throw gauntlets on him and he'll one-round anything, too. Dimitri is a more min/max'd Edelgard, albeit without her Galeforce relic art (although his is basically a guaranteed "one-shot anything"). Ingrid's built to be an ideal Pegasus and/or Paladin. Sylvain's a solid all-rounder, like Ferdinand.

Mercedes gets hilarious MAG and RES, with a great healer personal. Annette is a great mage with lightweight wind magic, but high enough MAG to make its lower MT make no matter. Ashe is perhaps the weakest link, but a fine archer nonetheless. Axe strength allows him to easily dip into Death Blow and even become a bow Wyvern if he wants, which incidentally makes his personal decent QoL.

I can't wait to optimize and break the game with these kids.

God, 3H is so fun when it comes to character building.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
I think the thing I'm most looking forward to in NG+ is being able to just, like... get class masteries for the Beginner or Intermediate classes at reasonable rates.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Lysithea/Felix supports are hilarious and amazing. Really recommend getting them in the same House together.

Felix really doesn't care for sweets.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I can attest to all the Golden Deer units being good, although I did stray off with Ignatz and made him a mage even though he's built to be an archer with his +20 hit skill.

Leonie might be my weakest actually, but in the sense that she hits the weakest lol.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently Ignatz can become a decent Assassin... my experience is that he is completely useless and does so little damage that it might actually heal the person he's hitting. He took a seat from very early on and remained there.
Ignatz is a baby faced killer on my squad. He's one of the best units on the team as a sniper

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

She is scum and beyond redemption. I am so happy i didnt choose her route first. Rhea is a nut but ultimately in the grand scheme of things, Rhea is salvageable unlike Edelgard. Lysithea is a miracle of the fodlan universe and she went through hell too. except Lysithea isnt a pos. whats edelgard's excuse?

shes nothing more than a pitiful puppet who believes in her script set by the very people responsible for her misery. she is a pathetic existence. Machiavelli can eat shit. she is wrong. I will never choose to protect her ever again. there is always a better way always. and her way totally aint it. Also, shes racist against manaketes. ****. that. noise.

for context. i have already played church and golden deer route. personally love the church route. because the final battle legit threw me off. as well as the music that is funeral of flowers. for me either church or golden deer is the canon route. El can eat dirt for all i care.
I've made no secret of it: I think she's brilliant, and basically correct about everything. I don't think that Fodlan ever improves without major conflict (you've gotta remember, peaceful political change is a really recent phenomenon), and I think that in her route, at least, she successfully makes it happen with as little collateral damage as possible. Obviously that's very different in the other routes, but given how much she's right about, and how much of what she's wrong about that she couldn't possibly know, it's hard for me to hold much against her. Rhea is slowly going mad, and did end up creating a rigid genetic hierarchy that destroyed countless lives over a thousand years. And that's before you dig into the doctrine of the church, which is super fucked up. Edelgard does some awful things, but her heart's in the right place.

She's also fantastically written. We so rarely get proactive female protagonists. Edelgard uses the opportunity created by Those who Slither's manipulations to accomplish 100% of her goals and then disposes of them, that's badass as hell. That she has to get her hands dirty doesn't diminish it for me at all.

I just wish we'd have been able to play through her crushing Those who Slither because I imagine it'd be extremely cathartic.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao I'm so mad. I'm on BE Chapter 10 and just spam gifted Rhea a whole bunch of flowers, unlocked B route and got the "you've missed the opportunity to deepen this bond" message. Luckily I just saved. I'll give those to someone else. How early do you have to unlock her supports?

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017

Having played BL, BE-E and just timeskipped BE-C, my thoughts:

I mostly agree with you. Not quite as strongly, but I have definite side-eye for everyone in this thread who's insisting Edelgard Was Right.

You want to destroy the system of nobility? Great idea. You're the Emperor: do it. You want to go to war with everyone else to destroy their social orders as well? Uh... how about no?

She says Rhea controls the world, but... she seems to be doing a pretty good job of it. Why the need to destroy the church? Rhea occasionally gets up to some sketchy stuff, but Edie's BFF Hubert is worse, not to mention her "totally temporary I swear we'll kill them later" allies that were behind all the villainy in the first half of the game. You want to talk about someone secretly controlling the world, those jokers are the real problem.

But no, first we've gotta team up with them to kill Rhea, because... she's not human. Seriously, every time in BE-E someone dismissed Rhea et al as "beasts" I was like... y'all need to play Path of Radiance.

I'll admit, at the very end of BE-E when Rhea sets fire to the capital I was like, "...maybe Edie had a point." But I could barely stand playing the game on an anti-Seiros crusade without anyone telling me why we're all convinced she's a baddie.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I like her character and her route quite a bit.

I agree the system, crests, and rule and false history of the church had to go. And Rhea needed to go (not so much die, but not in power). Not so much the methods. But the ideas and principles behind it

Its a great route because it offers a different side and story that so many other FE do not have

in short she is my favorite character. Felix and Hubert next because their supports with others crack me up

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

That is why I love this class system. You can properly build your characters around their strengths and weakness
Now while they solved the problem of making your starting roster be viable, I wish they tried better with armor classes. I feel the only good armor classes are the Edelgard ones and even then i prefer her as wyvern rider.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
FINALLY. Ferdinand recruited. Hilda also randomly asked to join my class, though I don't think I have any use for her.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Lowkey I'm in Chapter 10 and I already feel bored on exploration days. Now that you have like 7 exploration points I just feel there isn't that much to do...

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Three Houses really does capture the college experience. You attend school in a far off place. Maybe you come with some of your hometown friends. You befriend people from areas you've never been before. You're kids having a great time Years after graduation and now adults, you only really hang out with your hometown buddies. You are also now mortal enemies with your former college friends because they chose the wrong path and beliefs.

Status
Not open for further replies.