• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
It's not impossible. If Nintendo can see the demand for something like the original Shadow Dragon NES release fully localized, Mother 3 isn't that far a stretch. I mean, fuck, we got Mother 1 as EarthBound Beginnings, even if that was an already localized but never officially released game.

Mother 3 is a different beast, the Magypsies would never fly these days. Nintendo would take a serious hit to their reputation for releasing a game with a humorous depiction of child molestation by a trans character, especially after what happened with Swapnote.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Funny that the first part of the trailer shines the spotlight more on Roy than Marth, considering he also has an unlocalized game. At least Shadow Dragon got that DS remake. Poor guy.

Also yeah the vault stuff is so gross and I guess it's officially becoming a trend.

Frost1800

Dec 3, 2019
Not interested considering that Shadow Dragon was released in the west, I would rather have them release something that truly was never released in the west, like Genealogy of the Holy War.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to know the time frame of this limited time tactic. At least Disney has their vault open for a couple years, not a couple of months.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty neat, I definitely had my "who tf is THIS?" moment when I played Melee as a kid lol.

Another limited release sucks...but at least it's the 1/10th of the price for a full game.

Not sure why this would allude to a Mother 3 localization.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
LOL apparently it's anti-consumer not selling a product indefinitely.

Half-empty glass people everywhere.

For us half-full glass people, the good news is that more retro games are coming.
It is anti-consumer. We could understand the physical edition being time limited, but not the digital version. There is no excuse for Nintendo.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Guess they need to update the melee Marth trophy to "EU: limited release only"
BAM, I landed a critical, clearly

I mean, I can't talk too much being a filthy 3D All Stars owner and all, but y'know at least that was MARIO, is anyone out there actually gonna be that baited into this limited release for an NES game? are Nintendo's expectations here actually low enough that they're using this to try and bait any collectors into a trick purchase of sorts?

Is this how every anniversary is gonna be approached because reasons? find out next year when Zelda finally gets its 3DS and WiiU HD titles ported to Switch for three days before the moon crashes into Nintendo's online servers and wipes them out.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
oh god i've been waiting for this.

also, it's $6 lets complain over a $6 localization. they could've priced this for $10 or maybe even $15 and it would've sold

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Mother 3 is a different beast, the Magypsies would never fly these days. Nintendo would take a serious hit to their reputation for releasing a game with a humorous depiction of child molestation by a trans character, especially after what happened with Swapnote.
I'm saying that it's very likely that would change.

I understand exactly what that scene and the magypsies are. Despite my fervent desire for Mother 3, if they were to release that unchanged, I would probably be leading the brigade against its official release.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
WOW I NEED THIS!!!!

Looks like a full port rather than emulation? I wonder if it will be possible to extract the rom and play in a flash cart on original hardware?

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
You want to buy it later?
Why should I have to choose to buy something within a six-nine month window or not at all because Nintendo decided to arbitrarily stop selling a digital file download? This shit is gross, completely unnecessary and incredibly transparent. I'm not here for it and frankly, I'm not sure why anyone in their right mind would be.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Funny that the first part of the trailer shines the spotlight more on Roy than Marth, considering he also has an unlocalized game. At least Shadow Dragon got that DS remake. Poor guy.

Also yeah the vault stuff is so gross and I guess it's officially becoming a trend.
It was always a "trend" with Zelda and Kirby and is obviously done with the anniversary happnening

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I'm saying that it's very likely that would change.

I understand exactly what that scene and the magypsies are. Despite my fervent desire for Mother 3, if they were to release that unchanged, I would probably be leading the brigade against its official release.

I don't think Itoi would accept them altering the game that heavily or even be comfortable acknowledging that it needs to be altered in that way. More likely it just stays in the vault.

Tab

Nov 23, 2017
A pleasant surprise, though I would have preferred one of the games that doesn't have a remake. Though it being the first game makes sense for the anniversary.

Goldstick

Jun 6, 2019
Porto, Portugal
Never played Fire Emblem (although I own Three Houses) and I'm not really into jRPGs (I can't seem to understand them really well), but I am really tempted to buy this, specially seeing that awesome collector's edition!

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I swear to god I feel as if I willed it into existence. Just playing the imports of FE1/3 on NSO right now and then they announce a translated version. Gonna grab the CE the moment it's live somewhere

jesterkap2

Oct 28, 2017
Dammit, Lucas was in Smash too! This is cool and I'll buy it and never play it in the hopes that Nintendo will finally just give me official Mother 3.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I don't think Itoi would accept them altering the game that heavily or even be comfortable acknowledging that it needs to be altered in that way. More likely it just stays in the vault.
What makes you say that? He was okay with the alterations made to both Beginnings and the original EarthBound, which range from removing cigarettes from smoking crows to clothing the main protagonist being naked with his pajamas.

I don't see why he wouldn't accept those changes at all.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Sep 29, 2019
From what I've understood, only the special edition with the whole box thing will be limited, right? I think the game will still be available after that. I don't think I see a problem with the boxed version being limited, to be honest. It's like a limited run thing

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
oh god i've been waiting for this.

also, it's $6 lets complain over a $6 localization. they could've priced this for $10 or maybe even $15 and it would've sold
No one is complaining about the price of the game.

they are complaing about the lack of value in NSO that this could have added to. It is, in fact, an NSO game in Japan.

They are pointing out that this limited release indicates a trend that will apply to future special releases - like the Zelda 35th next year - some of which will be $60, no doubt, like All-Stars. That forces people to re-examine their purchasing priorities.

Also, people who get a Switch after the game is no longer available are out of luck.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
To be honest, I'd be more excited about this if an officially localized remake already didn't exist. But a pretty neat announcement regardless.

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I think it's great that this is finally getting localized. I never thought it would actually happen, and I'm glad I can have the game without it being attached to NSO when that service inevitably closes. Otherwise, the game would just be completely lost without emulation on another device. It's also not much more expensive, if at all, from an NES Virtual Console game.

Is the vault trend everyone's been talking about really any different than the Kirby and Mario collections that came out for a limited time on Wii? Hell, the Mario collection ended up getting re-printed with Nintendo Selects too. We can argue that was shitty too, but outsidd of these games being availabke digitally, Nintendo has been doing this with anniversary collections specifically for years.

I get that the practice sucks, but the fact that this exists at all is pretty crazy to me, and it's unfortunate that pretty much all of the discourse is now gonna be centered on it being a limited-time release instead of an example of a company actually caring enough to get older games in people's hands.