• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Enc none is a Diablos ability, but I remember I got it fairly late. It was a god send though, especially once you opt to go back to the Ragnarok and want to loot those special islands.

I used to draw a lot in FFVIII, but thats because I didn't bother with Refine much. You can stock up at the beach right at the start of the game and be rather powerful already. Thats the thing with this game, you can make it as easy or hard as you want. It doesn't really gate its abilities and stats. Birth By Sleep works the same way if you spend time with Meld. Magazines? They aren't needed. I never bothered finding all those as well yet I had all weapons.

The Audio bug is also in FFIX for PS4, which is why I didn't buy it. I think its still not fixed there?

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hope they do a Switch version too.
It's listed for all 3 console platforms:https://www.base.com/fsearch.htm?search=final+fantasy+viii
The recent Famitsu article said Digital Only so it's probably a mistake. :(

I really want a physical version so i'm hoping that is assumed by famitsu and we get a surprise physical version.
Famitsu are only talking about Japan. There can be a release in EU but not in Japan or NA it depends on the respective regions SE.
GAME are also selling the pre-order in store.

Last edited:

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
What kind of remaster is this? Did they did something to the other PS1 games, widescreen?

so far, we know the graphics are a bit better (new models for characters, maybe enemies?), and given how they treated IX, there'll probably be a few balance tweaks, other graphical changes, and some boosters/cheats. IX is the closest comparison we have right now given that it's also PS1, so take a look:

Oct 25, 2017
Ideally you would be refining your magic from items/cards not hanging around in battles drawing. Prioritize those GF refine skills. Also, play the card game/turn enemies into cards.

The weapon crafting is like any other game really. Find the books with the new recipes and then the monsters that drop the items you need.
I'm a little busy at work but I'm sure others will go over the game in more detail.

- weapons don't require magazines. The magazines just show you the materials needed and make the weapon name pop up on the shop list.

- The only time you should be using the Draw mechanic is for GF and draw points which are those pink flows

- levelling makes the enemies scale to your level. If you want an easier playthrough avoid levelling since bosses don't give exp. Decide how you want to play with that.

- Refining is the core feature in VIII. You can create powerful spells and plenty of them. Junction stats will be higher depending on the magic equipped. Cure/Cura/Curaga is best on HP for example

I can go into more later!

Thanks!

But one question, you said only draw for gf and the pink points.

But that IS magic. Magic is a consumable is it not? So if I'm only drawing at certain points, then I can barely using any magic in the game? Like if I draw 7 fire, then I can only use fire 7 times until I find more at certain points? That feels like it would kinda blow?

Unless I'm wrong. Its been a very long time.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
so far, we know the graphics are a bit better (new models for characters, maybe enemies?), and given how they treated IX, there'll probably be a few balance tweaks, other graphical changes, and some boosters/cheats. IX is the closest comparison we have right now given that it's also PS1, so take a look:
Thanks it seems the changes are higher than they appear at first.shame about no widescreen option but i guess they would have to redo the rendered backdrops

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks it seems the changes are higher than they appear at first.shame about no widescreen option but i guess they would have to redo the rendered backdrops

Yeah, I think that was the issue with the backdrops in IX; I read that they didn't have all the art assets, only some of them, which were released online later. I doubt they'll do it, but AI upscaling would be awesome.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia

More on the remaster from Famitsu with more information.

I'm worried about the wording saying "some models" when I was hoping all were getting updated.

Man, those new main character models getting around interacting with the old low poly PS1 ones is going to look fucking terrible lmao. Talk about jarring inconsistency

Guess I can stick with the original game after all

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Man, those new main character models getting around interacting with the old low poly PS1 ones is going to look fucking terrible lmao. Talk about jarring inconsistency

Even without that, I hope there's an option to use the old models. In addition to the whole nostalgia element...am I the only one who feels Squall's more detailed model resembles KH's take of him a little much, clashing a bit with the original's artwork and FMVs? Like, the original game went for more realistic proportions, more photorealism, something stylized and warm but more on the "gritty" side of things, and their way of making Squall's model more detailed seems to have included making it more overtly cartoony.

It's one of those things where, yeah, I'm looking forward to Squall's hotness requiring less imagination, but...leaving some things to our imagination also worked out really, really well?

Whatever. I probably just need to give myself more than 5 minutes to get used to the new models. :P

Rask

Oct 25, 2017
So you're not using it as actual magic abilities in battle? Is that how it was meant to be?
You can use magic in battle, they're saying it's a smarter move to stack it up and use it to boost your stats instead. And if you do it that way you needn't worry about running out. Which is a valid point.

That said, I always used magic here and there when I played and never really worried about running out. Just always made sure to have a nice stack of cures around just in case, or potions otherwise. The first few bosses have cure spells you can draw (iirc) as you learn how things work and get your feet wet.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Not yet. I think they'll be spreading out information over the next couple months until the release date drops. My guess would be September for NA anniversary which was 9/9/1999.

It was announced that there would be an Eden raid in XIV and the preview imaged was reminiscent of VIII. This happened months ago so we have been waiting for more confirmation that it's the same Eden from Final Fantasy VIII. In the recent trailer they showed that image which is from Eden summon.

The hype for VIII content continues!

What did the bug do to deserve a Galaxy dropping on him :( (with the longest ass GF summon in FF8)

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Even without that, I hope there's an option to use the old models. In addition to the whole nostalgia element...am I the only one who feels Squall's more detailed model resembles KH's take of him a little much, clashing a bit with the original's artwork and FMVs? Like, the original game went for more realistic proportions, more photorealism, something stylized and warm but more on the "gritty" side of things, and their way of making Squall's model more detailed seems to have included making it more overtly cartoony.

It's one of those things where, yeah, I'm looking forward to Squall's hotness requiring less imagination, but...leaving some things to our imagination also worked out really, really well?

Whatever. I probably just need to give myself more than 5 minutes to get used to the new models. :P
I'm not a fan of the direction with his newer model but I can't see how you could think the original model looks more accurate. His face is completely busted in the original model and was by far the one character model that suffered the most especially with his lips and hair.

The newer models are definitely more vibrant and cartoonish which is a little jarring compared to the CG models but not the end of the world. I'm happy they will be updated and the CG designs are still present.
So you're not using it as actual magic abilities in battle? Is that how it was meant to be?
I wasn't able to check your previous response but I'll quickly address this.

It's up to you if you want to use magic but majority of the time it's better to avoid it. You have access to items for healing and magic will rarely do the same kind of damage your characters can dish out with physical attacks and limit breaks. The magic most commonly used are spells like Meteor, Meltdown, Full-Life and Cure/Cura/Curaga.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They already remastered IX!
tumblr_inline_nsu5erMH7V1tu4jxa_500.gif

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017

We need to wait for more information but I think the most likely situation is all the main cast and story characters will have new models.

Very Likely:
Ellone
Raine
Julia
Cid
Galbadian Soldiers
Esthar Soldiers
Dr. Odine
Raijin & Fujin

Likely:
Zone
Watts
Nida
Xu
General Caraway

Maybe:
White SeeD
Martin
Pete
Queen of Cards

The rest, which is mostly NPC's, are probably going to be PC version of the models. I'm mostly fine if they are doing all of the characters I listed.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Some of the NPCS, like the ones in Deling City, are actually crudely part of the background instead of actual models.

29-FFVIII_10273.jpg

That will definitely look weird regardless of what they do lol.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
They didn't change the npcs to fit the player characters? lmao
We don't know yet. The Famitsu article worded it like only some models are getting replaced. What we assume is all of the story NPC's will be updated but the background ones won't.

We need more information to see what they mean.

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
We don't know yet. The Famitsu article worded it like only some models are getting replaced. What we assume is all of the story NPC's will be updated but the background ones won't.

We need more information to see what they mean.

It'll be weird as hell standing next to Martine challenging him to cards if his model isn't updated.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I will point out that the npcs look just fine in 9 next to the main cast...

Obviously not sure how they'll handle the 2d "npcs" but for 3d ones I wouldn't worry too much about the clash as long as they fix flicker and touch up the obviously terrible ones.

ss_0614754b89743c2810b1cb25e00afd7d8.jpg

ss_0237ddb39c6dd3c22d80da16989f79cd2.jpg

These look good upscaled. Now the main characters upscaled...

Like seriously compare these models to THAT

a30d7ed98daf76b0d02ab9b0c44583e3.png

Do you understand the problem with the main characters now ?

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
I will point out that the npcs look just fine in 9 next to the main cast...

Obviously not sure how they'll handle the 2d "npcs" but for 3d ones I wouldn't worry too much about the clash as long as they fix flicker and touch up the obviously terrible ones.

ss_0614754b89743c2810b1cb25e00afd7d8.jpg

ss_0237ddb39c6dd3c22d80da16989f79cd2.jpg

These look good upscaled. Now the main characters upscaled...

Like seriously compare these models to THAT

a30d7ed98daf76b0d02ab9b0c44583e3.png

Do you understand the problem with the main characters now ?

FFIX's npcs also almost universally happen to be animals like hippos and rats. So...

That GF with the pubic patch always weirded me out lol

I've always loved it. #TeamPatch

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I never got the complaints about graphics. Game looked fucking insane at launch. It felt like a world of properly proportioned humans in a way that hadn't really been done before. Combine that with great art direction. No shit games age.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
FFIX's npcs also almost universally happen to be animals like hippos and rats. So...

This is flat out incorrect and I played the game recently (modded the backgrounds and all) and it looked fantastic, humans and anthropomorphic animals alike.

Because in IX they updated the main cast (that looked hideous originally) and fixed the universal issue of flickering models.

What do i call flickering models ?

Look at that FF8 NPC

da742e49ac1fda0b034c213c91970c20.png

Do you see how she is missing half her face ?

8fd4b5a0b07f971588ca3deede7cfa4f.png

And here she has it ?

That's the flicker. If she always looked like this, new Squall interacting with her would not be jarring (especially if you look at new Squall's anatomy which is very similar to this girl, unlike old Squall that has multiple blocks).

So IF
1) they fix the flicker
2) they touch up the few npcs that have close ups in cutscenes (like Cid and stuff)
3) manage to improve the 2D npcs from backgrounds

It will be just fine without them having to redo all the models in the game.

I never got the complaints about graphics. Game looked fucking insane at launch. It felt like a world of properly proportioned humans in a way that hadn't really been done before. Combine that with great art direction. No shit games age.

The game on CRT is a masterpiece.

The game on Hd screen is currently hideous but we're gonna fix it on PC with this remaster :) we'll make it top tier.

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019

I'm not saying it's ugly. The game has my favorite art direction and setting in the series. But it'll be odd if the main cast get model upgrades and everyone else is on the ps1 is all.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Oh VIII by far was one of the most gorgeous games on PS1 but it's undeniable that some models didn't come out great. Squall definitely had a lot of issues while everyone else more just had some jaggyness.

Zell, Selphie, Edea, Seifer and Fujin had amazing ps1 models even to this day. Actually so did Laguna, Kiros and Ward.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, most of the characters and npcs look fine for the most part when they're upscaled.

eeutKDc.png

No mods here. Just higher resolution.

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
Kiros and Laguna's Ps1 models are nothing short of incredible for the time.

I loved FFVII.

But FFVIII? Is there a word stronger than love?

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, most of the characters and npcs look fine for the most part when they're upscaled.

eeutKDc.png

No mods here. Just higher resolution.

The main characters are absolutely not fine and the main cast suffers from the flicker more than any other model in the game and they look awful.

That one screenshot here that you posted, yes it looks nice. That's not at all how it looks 99% of the game.

itTv2em.jpg

And again most npcs in this pic look fine but Squall is the worst.

Now don't get me wrong, the faces close up of NPCs are never gonna look good in the remaster, but luckily there are not toooo many non important NPCs that have close ups so...

If anything just add a light CRT filter on PC and it will be just fine. This game is never gonna be perfect for HD screens. Mod backgrounds, add light CRT filter (so that you don't lose the benefit of HD but it still blends stuff), use HDR filter from reshade, and the game will look good, I guarantee you.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
On the subject of the remastered version of IX, did that version fix the Excalibur II problem for PAL, or are Europeans still SOL trying to get that thing?

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully we get a cheat to select the card rules in Triple Triad.

Feck the random rule.

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
I want to play all of the FFs that have a trophy list, haven't played basically any of them. I pltinumed VII a couple weeks ago, and I waited for IX but got so hyped up by this announcement that I bought IX and Im beginning my playthrough of it tonight.

Stoked for VIII, which I honestly tried like 10 years ago and absolutely hated it based on the beginning lol. I believe my views on it have changed since