• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
What do you not understand?

Jenova can control via her cells.

Sephiroth was infused with Jenova cells.

Sephiroth uses Jenova's own mind manipulation against herself to control her.

Sephiroth as a villain is fairly week anyways and honestly the less we see of him the better, but we won't. Shinra were far better villains than Sephiroth. The most iconic section of the game is the Midgar section and you don't even see Sephiroth in it (there's glimpses, like him killing the President, but that's it).
Yes the most iconic section of the original game is the opening 8-10 hours in Midgar.

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
I'm just hoping the game doesn't play it's cards too early. I really liked the way Sephiroph was dropped in at the end of the Midgar section. Real gravity of entrance.

Right?

What made the prison part of the Shinra HQ break in impactful was it came out of nowhere. You're in prison and suddenly there's a massive blood spill on the ground. It was horrifying and batshit insane. What made it great was it came out of nowhere. Then you go up to the top floor and President Shinra is dead. Holy fuck what a mind fuck.

Knowing them they'll insert Sephiroth asap ruining the shock and build up. They love sucking Sephiroth off.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I highly doubt this game's combat will be as versatile and varied as FFXV's.

To me, this seems like an upgraded version of Crisis Core's combat.

Lmao what? Looks nothing like Crisis corr. It looks more like a grounded KH and it will be more varied than FFXV. That stale ass and stilted combat system with no hitstuns.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
My jeesus I hope this game gets me to understand Sepiroth as a villain because this aspect never sat well with me
What's there to be confused about?

Sephiroth died 5 years ago and his body fell into the Lifestream where it eventually became crystalized in the Northern Crater. Sephiroth's will was too strong to be assimilated into the Lifestream and he took control of Jenova's body in Shinra HQ to search for the black materia. Jenova is a shapeshifter, so Sephiroth made her assume his form.

Which is why Sephiroth really shouldn't show up until Shinra HQ.

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019

Sephiroth died 5 years ago and his body fell into the Lifestream where it eventually became crystalized in the Northern Crater. Sephiroth's will was too strong to be assimilated into the Lifestream and he took control of Jenova's body in Shinra HQ to search for the black materia. Jenova is a shapeshifter, so Sephiroth made her assume his form.

To be fair to them, this is what happens when you translate key words like puppet into clone and don't bother to re-translate it after 20 years. It takes multiple playthroughs to understand what's going on in VII partly due to the translation itself.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
The Heidegger and Shinra footage is cool because it's like the first footage of characters outside the bombing mission crew / Aeris. Also makes me feel like they've got more done than I thought.

Anyway yes this part will absolutely just be Midgar. Theres an entire game in that and there will be plenty of new material.

- Opening bombing mission.
- 7th heaven expanded (more downtime before next mission I think)
- 2nd bombing mission
- Church / Aeris house
- Wall market
- Don Corneo / Sewers
- Train Graveyard / Fall of the plate (probably expanded)
- Journey to Shinra (i expect this to be more fleshed out. Perhaps including a new above plate sector. The original game makes getting from the slums to the Shinra HQ not that big a deal)
- Shrina Tower
- The Escape.

In either the tower or escape they will absolutely add a fight with Sephiroth / Jenova. Probably during the escape to replace that tank boss.

I'm thinking about 10 hrs for ep 1.
People are just being realistic and setting their expectations accordingly. A complete ass game would be lovely, but it's not happening.

They already said the games were more full game sequels and less "episodic" and would be FFXIII game length

May 26, 2018

Too late, baby! Sephiroth is gonna be there at Seventh Heaven!

"I haven't seen your woman in quite some time... CLOUD..."

"Sephiroooooth!"

zeitheist

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is a trailer with quick cuts between scenes where people are shown being surprised or distress or grunting while doing physically laborous things & such. Do you not play video games because this is pretty standard stuff from Uncharted to Mario.

The voice acting isn't that bad. It's not Naughty Dog levels of quality but it's perfectly serviceable. This falls somewhere between FFXII (the high point of voice acting in FF games) and FFX (not the low point of FF VAs but it's noticeable it's the first voiced FF).

The original FFVII had so much charm.The music, the environment, the characters,... And THIS is the cut they chose for a trailer? A collection of grunts, bad voice acting and button smashing action sequences? Holy fuck.. Has the target market now shifted from original hardcore fans to pre-teens?

The voice acting sounds like from a B-movie IMO. Maybe I'm spoiled by games like Kojima's productions.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Yeah. Your antagonist is Shinra for all intents and purposes. The pacing and reveals were what made FFVII so special. Incredible house of cards that is carefully built to then be knocked down. You can dump turn based ATB for all I care, that is not the spirit of FFVII.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Different people make different arguments. Some think action rpgs are inferior and lack depth. I'm not one of these people. However, S-E has yet to show they're capable of making an action rpg with the fun and depth of an Ys or Souls game.
KHII Final Mix exists. KHIII is also pretty strong though could do with a little more balancing. TWEWY was also a pretty fun action RPG and there's also stuff like Dissidia that decent, unique action-y gameplay. Maybe they aren't quite top-notch, but they aren't totally worthless when it comes to action-y gameplay.

1. The original used ATB.
2. They don't have the best track record with ARPG systems.

I personally felt any FFVII remake should take the core of the original and just make it better. No random encounters, make them visible, FFX-2 style ATB with interrupts and stuff to make it flashy while still a command based rpg. Give it more depth and stuff like that like they did with FFIV's DS remake. Basically, I agree the original FFVII is too easy and my hope for a remake was taking that core fundamentals and just making it less braindead without losing the core of FFVII. Instead, they've decided to include strafing guns, combos, and all that other pizazz. I know preferences are preferences but I just don't want to do that in a Final Fantasy, especially in a remake to my first RPG.

I just wanted them to keep it grounded in what made FFVII work but make it better, but like with REmake. I just don't want action rpg combat and it's a total turn off. Keep your experimental stuff to new FF's. Remaking the most popular FF with an arpg system without providing vets that waited years an alternative just makes no sense to me.

Most game remakes work to improve the original, they don't try to be entirely different games. It's like Blizzard remaking Diablo 1, making it turn-based like it was originally planned to be, and the fans of the original are told "there's always the original stop complaining" when it's perfectly reasonable to expect the original Diablo combat but better.
To be fair there really haven't been all that many video game remakes of this scale. We mostly have remasters that tidy up the resolution/textures/framerate of the original and graphical remakes that overhaul the graphics but keep everything else the same.Those are fine, I loved SOTC PS4 and the Crash & Spyro trilogies, but that's simply not what these creative people behind this remake wanted to do. There's just no set definition of what a remake should be and as such it's a bit silly to so strongly attack SQEX when people who were involved with the original aren't interested in the kind of remake you'd have wanted this to be. You want very strict loyalty to the original, but if we look at movies, remakes jump genres all the time. Like, an intimate horror movie IP can turn into a more family-friendly, comedic action adventure movie and then into more serious large scale disaster movie as years go by and it gets remade.

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
To be fair there really haven't been all that many video game remakes of this scale.

Why does a game remake need to be of this scale to begin with? The fixation that company has with FFVII is almost at Lucas level. I guarantee if they just went the REmake route they wouldn't had taken literally 5 years to release one section of the game.

May 26, 2018
Yeah. Your antagonist is Shinra for all intents and purposes. The pacing and reveals were what made FFVII so special. Incredible house of cards that is carefully built to then be knocked down. You can dump turn based ATB for all I care, that is not the spirit of FFVII.

It's really a cool way to open up the world. You think you're about to have the Ultimate Battle of Ultimate Destiny with Shinra or Rufus or whatever.

And then Sephiroth nonchalantly lays waste to everyone's plans. That sword in Shinra's back is a direct challenge. Like, "You know not how small you are. Join me in the world beyond and see."

Last edited:

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
The original FFVII had so much charm.The music, the environment, the characters,... And THIS is the cut they chose for a trailer? A collection of grunts, bad voice acting and button smashing action sequences? Holy fuck.. Has the target market now shifted from original hardcore fans to pre-teens?

The voice acting sounds like from a B-movie IMO. Maybe I'm spoiled by games like Kojima's productions.
Now you're just getting silly. Yeah, how dare they show an action packed trailer about terrorist bombings from an action packed start of a game with terrorist bombings! The nerve!

Like, are you for real?

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Sephiroth was a dumb motherfucker who thought he and Jenova were Cetra. Guy probably needed more time in the basement researching.

Cloud is just as weird for thinking he's Zack or whatever. That part of the story isn't sitting to well for me in my head either. I just remember when I first played it being like "what? Ok" to some of this stuff lol

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
Too late, baby! Sephiroth is gonna be there at Seventh Heaven!

"I haven't seen your woman in quite some time... CLOUD..."

"Sephiroooooth!"

The remake's main innovation will be the Sephiroth Everywhere system.

T81nDT.gif

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
After catching up on this thread, I now really hope those ghosts are indeed the Remnants from Advent Children. The salt from people will give me life. :D

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Sephiroth was a dumb motherfucker who thought he and Jenova were Cetra. Guy probably needed more time in the basement researching.
Sephiroth knows what Jenova is by the present. He basically took a bath in the collective knowledge of the planet. He wants to complete what Jenova started as his birthright.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Why does a game remake need to be of this scale to begin with? The fixation that company has with FFVII is almost at Lucas level. I guarantee if they just went the REmake route they wouldn't had taken literally 5 years to release one section of the game.
Because the creative people behind this remake weren't interested in such a simple, straightforward remake. Like, they've straight out said they didn't find that kind of remake worth doing. Who are you to demand otherwise?

And we don't yet know anything about how big each part will be so whining about them taking 5 years with this "one section" (what section is that, exactly?) is pointless. They needed to figure out some stuff about the whole remake and make a strong base for it that they can build subsequent parts on efficiently. It's pretty understandable that the first part would take longer as it's setting up the stage for everything that comes after in every way possible (development logistics, gameplay design, story structure, development pipeline etc.) and it's not impossible that they could deliver the subsequent parts in a far more timely manner after they finish this first part. Doubt it's gonna be a yearly thing but they've been doing massive expansions for FFXIV in two years so I imagine 1,5-2 years between releases is fairly realistic, considering they don't have the upkeep & monthly updates of an MMO to worry about.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because the creative people behind this remake weren't interested in such a simple, straightforward remake. Like, they've straight out said they didn't find that kind of remake worth doing. Who are you to demand otherwise?

And we don't yet know anything about how big each part will be so whining about them taking 5 years with this "one section" (what section is that, exactly?) is pointless. They needed to figure out some stuff about the whole remake and make a strong base for it that they can build subsequent parts on efficiently. It's pretty understandable that the first part would take longer as it's setting up the stage for everything that comes after in every way possible (development logistics, gameplay design, story structure, development pipeline etc.) and it's not impossible that they could deliver the subsequent parts in a far more timely manner after they finish this first part. Doubt it's gonna be a yearly thing but they've been doing massive expansions for FFXIV in two years so I imagine 1,5-2 years between releases is fairly realistic, considering they don't have the upkeep & monthly updates of an MMO to worry about.
Except we do know that each game will be a full sized game in the vein of FFXIII. So 5 years for a AAA game is totally normal.

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019

Simple? Straightforward? REmake perfected survival horror. The game is balls hard, introduced crimson heads, rearranged the entire story, change entire puzzles, added new areas, storylines and quests. Simple and straight forward?

The creative people behind the remake have too big expectations and too big wants. Given the entire Compilation of FFVII disaster why should we care much less trust what these "creative" people want to do? Creative? They ruined the original ending of FFVII which was left open ended to make a mindless sequel and a bad third person shooter (Dirge of Cerberus).

Who am I to demand otherwise? As an FFVII fan that does not trust their vision after these same "creative" people have spent 15 years dismantling the original games legacy.

Oct 26, 2017
Good:
Graphics and that they are expanding the story. I dont mind them enhancing the experience.
New battle system.

Bad:
Not recreating everything from the original game in a free to roam open world like in the latest FF:noctis game. Big mistake.
They have to cut shit out.

Hype is low now, but I'm hoping I'm wrong and this turns out to be what FF7 deserves. Fully fleshed out "open world" game that has everything. Chocobo riding across the FF7 world map in a ff:noctis type open world.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting to get a wild appearance of ole Gya haa haa, so early. Can't wait to see what some of the rest of the side characters look like.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
They should call this "reimagining" instead of "remake". This is no remake. It fails to capture the soul, essence, feel, or whimsical magic of the original. This is a completely different original game vaguely based on the happenings of the first. What's with all the character pain barks? This is stupidly nuts.
I hate this.

Last time I checked, video game remakes are reimagining. Remasters are video game remakes.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
Holy shit that voice acting is budget anime levels of bad. Here's hoping I get to play it with the Japanese dub.

Is it still split into parts?

Yep.

Final Fantasy VII Remake, reborn on the PlayStation 4, is us conducting a full remake as we review many of its content, and we are progressing on its production as partitioned titles.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Man I'm gonna use up my yearly holiday by april with this and Cyberpunk coming our so close to each other. Holy shit. I swear, if Elden Ring comes out during this timeframe as well...

Oct 27, 2017
This teaser seems to have majorly back fired, a blimp in the marketing road.This should have remained exclusive to the orchestra (or whatever that event ended up being) and the public should have only seen it again in their own show where they could show a fuller length trailer. I am taking very little from this teaser apart from that the fact I'm a little surprised they announced an actual date and not a window. Plus, I'm not that concerned about the specters appearing, it could be any of things.
Edit: Although looking outside of largely tbe enthusiast sites it seems to have gone over pretty well generally with the public, and it does raise curiosity at what they'll show later I guess.

Last edited:

Miang

Oct 28, 2017
Ooh now this is interesting, regarding the wraiths or whatever - they sound similar to a concept dropped from the original game:

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
every FFVII:R trailer they've shown that's been super action-y and fast paced has been kinda bleh. the teaser from a month or so ago was much better

looking forward to seeing more, either way