• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Melody Shreds

Oct 25, 2017
Terminal Dogma
Max said they turned to his reaction videos when the team's morale was low, so here is definitely extreme pressure to get it right.
When SE staff told him that he actually broke down into tears.
I can't imagine how it must feel for some of the people who made your favorite game of all time to turn to your content for morale while remake said favorite game of all time.
There's some feels there.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
"Having the characters speak so much during battles was an idea from Motomu Toriyama, the co-director of Final Fantasy VII Remake. "

Calling it right now... the world map in FFVIIR-2 will a series of Gran Pulse alike between each major location.

That would be zones like DQXI but larger and not a full world map, which I don't mind.

I won't be surprised if the sectors in this are made like bigger, Lightning Returns like, zones. With similar side quests. I really don't mind.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It is not canon. It just has some parts of it in the remake. The remake it is in it's own universe.

Yoshinori Kitase: I can't give you full details exactly how many times, where they're referenced, or anything like that, but what I want to let you know is that all of the lore from the works created after the original game, the Compilation of Final Fantasy 7, that's all very much in the base of the canon for the remake, and going forward it will be too.

www.vg247.com

Final Fantasy 7 Remake interview: "This had to be a complete standalone game, a real satisfying gaming experience"

Final Fantasy 7 Remake is a unique beast, a video game that requires considerations not common in other titles under de…

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Yoshinori Kitase: I can't give you full details exactly how many times, where they're referenced, or anything like that, but what I want to let you know is that all of the lore from the works created after the original game, the Compilation of Final Fantasy 7, that's all very much in the base of the canon for the remake, and going forward it will be too.

www.vg247.com

Final Fantasy 7 Remake interview: "This had to be a complete standalone game, a real satisfying gaming experience"

Final Fantasy 7 Remake is a unique beast, a video game that requires considerations not common in other titles under de…

Does it mean it is canon? Like direct canon? You probably think Genesis will be in this multi-part Saga epic.

Oct 25, 2017

www.vg247.com

Well there it is. The Compilation is canon to the Remake.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I think one of the episodes needs to be called "Reunion" but that's probably gonna be part 3. I honestly don't think this is going to be a trilogy. I considered it but just the stretch of land from leaving Kalm to departing Junon is about the length of going through all of Midgar. So I'm gonna say part 3 starts at Costa Del Sol to the end of what happens in the Forgotten City. And part 4 is from that point on to the end of the game.

If was to plan the game, I think each episode stopping point make sense at each Jenova boss fight but that isn't the case here.

I mean if we were to break down the length it takes to go through all of Midgar in the Remake in terms of the original release in 4 to 5 hours. I guess another 4 to 5 hours to the end of Junon and the fight with Jenova Birth.

Chapter 3 taking us all the way to the end with Forgotten City with Jenova Life, and 4th and final would be the entire Reunion portion with Jenova Death and the end game at the Northern Crater.

Lets see how this actually pans out.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I think one of the episodes needs to be called "Reunion" but that's probably gonna be part 3. I honestly don't think this is going to be a trilogy. I considered it but just the stretch of land from leaving Kalm to departing Junon is about the length of going through all of Midgar. So I'm gonna say part 3 starts at Costa Del Sol to the end of what happens in the Forgotten City. And part 4 is from that point on to the end of the game.

If was to plan the game, I think each episode stopping point make sense at each Jenova boss fight but that isn't the case here.

I mean if we were to break down the length it takes to go through all of Midgar in the Remake in terms of the original release in 4 to 5 hours. I guess another 4 to 5 hours to the end of Junon and the fight with Jenova Birth.

Chapter 3 taking us all the way to the end with Forgotten City with Jenova Life, and 4th and final would be the entire Reunion portion with Jenova Death and the end game at the Northern Crater.

Lets see how this actually pans out.
If this game uses "re" name scheme, I guess "Rebirth" and "Reunion" are good candidates.
But this is Square Enix and Nomura... so I can't possibly imagine what sort of name scheme they will come up with the future games.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Wasn't there someone that complained that the Loveless thing was tacked on into the Remake? I distinctly recall this was also in the 1997 original game. When the intro with Aerith and you see people walking through the streets there is a theater with large loveless banners as you zoom out to see the entirety of Midgar.

EDIT: I knew I remembered correctly.
117642-1997-article_m-1.jpg

In fact when you meet Cid in the 1997 original he goes on a rant about the Loveless play at one point.

I never played Crisis Core and its not available digitally because I would have no problem playing it it on my Vita if the option was available to me.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well there it is. The Compilation is canon to the Remake.
I read the whole explanation as

"the ideas and lore are canon, but may not be 1:1 as they were in the compilation."

Like lets say they take Crisis Core. There's high chance they rewrite some of those things to the remake's stuff. Like lets say Genesis exists, but what he did in it may not be fully the same. We already know they are taking ideas from Before Crisis, but they may not use everything. Like I don't expect us to see a WEAPON flying around the planet hunting the exiled Turks that killed that ultimate summon a sect of Avalanche summoned

I think thats why they said the compilation is its own thing, but its ideas will still be a part of remake

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

www.vg247.com

Excellent.

Oct 25, 2017

www.vg247.com

MAn that blows, the only reason I thought people liked the compilation is because people were getting another game that was set in FF7 world and the thought of a Remake at the time was impossible. But now they are remaking the game, so they'll have the need to all that Deepground crap, awful Crisis Core melodramatic ending and other fanfic tier stuff that Nomura and Kitase vomited out during the 2000's.

EDIT: Then again I shouldn't be surprised with that Watchers of Fate shit being added on and attacking Aerith when you first meet her.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I understand having to beat the game to unlock hard mode is shitty but let's be honest, people were having trouble with the demo boss on normal.

I'm sure it'll be challenging enough and if anything I'll run through it again on the ps5.

I mean I sure hope so, but I dont see how it being challenging on Normal should lock us out on a Hardmode right of the bat.

Chaserjoey

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017

Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
In Remake, Shinra's headquarters is relatively untouched. At least on the outside. "We didn't want to mess with the outer form of the building, because it could really affect people's memories of what Midgar should look like. The inside though, like the floor structure, has seen major rearranging." Hamaguchi remains tight-lipped on specifics though. "It's something we want players to discover when they're inside."

I like this. Wonder if the puzzle map will be more intricate.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I was hoping that article would have detail about the playable area of Midgar.

I feel much more positive on the remake after playing the demo, even if for me personally the combat system was never in doubt. I am still hoping for maybe one or two largish hub areas with shops and NPCs and not for it to be totally like Crisis Core which is the vibe I get off the demo. Maybe like a way larger scale Persona game, something like that would be nice (in terms of explorable zones/downtime not social links)

Oct 30, 2017
I was hoping that article would have detail about the playable area of Midgar.

I feel much more positive on the remake after playing the demo, even if for me personally the combat system was never in doubt. I am still hoping for maybe one or two largish hub areas with shops and NPCs and not for it to be totally like Crisis Core which is the vibe I get off the demo. Maybe like a way larger scale Persona game, something like that would be nice (in terms of explorable zones/downtime not social links)

It was mentioned in an interview that you will explore Midgar and some areas are reachable by vehicle. So sounds like there will be hubs. Plus there's wall market.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well there's already a difference from compilation that's the Buster sword thats the og design, there's also differences in the og story that we can see in the demo, or trailers, so i think kitase means is that they Will use compilation stuff (the same can be Said of the og game) and adapt as they wish, and not that every thing is canon to the remake.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
It is not canon. It just has some parts of it in the remake. The remake it is in it's own universe.

Ah I see. Is there any statement by Square-Enix on the subject?

At the preview event Kitase explained to me that the remake is in a different universe, but "all of the lore from the works created after the original game, the Compilation of Final Fantasy 7, that's all very much in the base of the canon for the remake, and going forward it will be too."

So basically, if they want to contradict/change stuff from the compilation they will, but the compilation is the basis. You can already see this in swathes of the Before Crisis lore/expansion of AVALANCHE being visible in the game, for instance, and Crisis Core is sure to be almost entirely drafted in as the story unfolds over future games. That new SOLDIER character uses the same 'standard issue' SOLDIER sword introduced in Crisis Core, too, the one Zack uses before he gets the Buster Sword. There's Advent Children music in the game, btw - a new arrangement of an Advent Children track is really prominent in Chapter 2, which hasn't been released to the public in a video form yet, but I played.

Chaserjoey

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
Square Enix blog goes into spoiler territory (Chapter 2) with FFVIIR

square-enix-games.com

How FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE expands and adds to the story | Square Enix Blog

How does FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE expand the story of the original game? We explain the team's approach and provide a few examples of what's new.

reminder that they wrote this last year

square-enix-games.com

When is it okay to reveal videogame spoilers? | Square Enix Blog

Is it ever okay to spoil a big moment from a game? How many years should you wait until plot points can be discussed freely? We discuss FINAL FANTASY spoilers and more...

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also somewhat related: Can anyone point me to some great remixes/covers of FFVII songs? Preferably on Spotify.

I already know about the Materia fan album (it's great).

Alecs27

Banned
Dec 23, 2017
MAn that blows, the only reason I thought people liked the compilation is because people were getting another game that was set in FF7 world and the thought of a Remake at the time was impossible. But now they are remaking the game, so they'll have the need to all that Deepground crap, awful Crisis Core melodramatic ending and other fanfic tier stuff that Nomura and Kitase vomited out during the 2000's.

EDIT: Then again I shouldn't be surprised with that Watchers of Fate shit being added on and attacking Aerith when you first meet her.
IMHO Crisis Core should be canon to the Remake, just leave out Genesis from Nibelheim scene (only thing that really irks me) and we're good. Zack story is really well told, I like his banter with Cloud, felt authentic and true, I just want the Remake to address that same story. The post credit scene of Crisis Core leads perfectly with Remake.
The only thing that irks me is the fact that Buster Sword design is different (I like og more), but maybe Cloud himself changed it to his own taste, I dunno lol.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
At the preview event Kitase explained to me that the remake is in a different universe, but "all of the lore from the works created after the original game, the Compilation of Final Fantasy 7, that's all very much in the base of the canon for the remake, and going forward it will be too."

So basically, if they want to contradict/change stuff from the compilation they will, but the compilation is the basis. You can already see this in swathes of the Before Crisis lore/expansion of AVALANCHE being visible in the game, for instance, and Crisis Core is sure to be almost entirely drafted in as the story unfolds over future games. That new SOLDIER character uses the same 'standard issue' SOLDIER sword introduced in Crisis Core, too, the one Zack uses before he gets the Buster Sword. There's Advent Children music in the game, btw - a new arrangement of an Advent Children track is really prominent in Chapter 2, which hasn't been released to the public in a video form yet, but I played.
What do you think the chances are of letting Aeris live? I really don't want that. They might be that's the only way to surprise people like when they killed her off in the first place, but I thought her death is really important with the world building of the Cetra and I love how she saves everyone with her Cetra powers at the end. I really want to see that again in the modern presentation.

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
What do you think the chances are of letting Aeris live? I really don't want that. They might be that's the only way to surprise people like when they killed her off in the first place, but I thought her death is really important with the world building of the Cetra and I love how she saves everyone with her Cetra powers at the end. I really want to see that again in the modern presentation.
0%

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I'm open to most changes here, but Aerith living would be 100 percent a no-go for me. I'd leak salt for days.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Of every game I ever played. Final Fantasy VII was the only time which soundtrack enthralled me so much to buy it. Back then I purchased the soundtrack from www.gamemusic.com but the website no longer exists.

OST cost me $50 which also the price of the game itself. Well back then when games MSRP was $49.99 during the PSX and PS2 days.

The website no longer exists unfortunately and only remnants can be found via the internet archive around 2009 or so. Haven't found an equivalent one stop shop for all Game OST purchases since then.

I wonder if the FF7 OST was revisited in a higher quality blu-ray audio release. I mean I like my CDs, but I wouldn't mind a higher quality version.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Anyone who at the menu in the demo: can you bleep the swears on the voice track? Bit of a shame that I cannot play this with my FF loving little lad.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Anyone who at the menu in the demo: can you bleep the swears on the voice track? Bit of a shame that I cannot play this with my FF loving little lad.
How old's the kid? It's only a few s-bombs, I believe, if that makes a differences.

And Jessie likening the reactor explosion to an orgasm, but that'll probably fly over kids' heads, lol

Oct 27, 2017
The compilation shit being part of the Remakes lore kind of has me excited. It wasn't ALL bad and I'm sure they could improve on those things without taking away anything from the original. As long as they don't like completely rewrite the 2nd and 3rd part of the game to incorporate that stuff. Hell FF8 style Crisis Core flashback sections taking place randomly throughout part 2 and 3 would be sick.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
The compilation shit being part of the Remakes lore kind of has me excited. It wasn't ALL bad and I'm sure they could improve on those things without taking away anything from the original. As long as they don't like completely rewrite the 2nd and 3rd part of the game to incorporate that stuff. Hell FF8 style Crisis Core flashback sections taking place randomly throughout part 2 and 3 would be sick.
A lot of the compilation wasn't terrible in concept, but rather had rough execution.

Besides, my guess is they'll lean on Zack's story the most, if anything. And that was the best part of the compilation, Gackt silliness aside.

I think a Zack Story DLC would be a cool extra for whatever part his story gets revealed in.

Wireframe

Oct 28, 2017
UK
While not being able to revive her, I can 100 % see her having more of a presence for Cloud as some kind of force ghost like in Advent Children.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
While not being able to revive her, I can 100 % see her having more of a presence for Cloud as some kind of force ghost like in Advent Children.
I could deal with a little bit of it, though I would hope its limited.

I'm not terribly purist about this remake, but part of the reason her death was so impactful was because of just how starkly gone she was, you know?

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Briana White, Aerith's voice actress, pretty heavily implies in this article that they're seeing her story through.
"Aerith has a pretty big moment in gaming history," said White. "It's iconic enough that everyone knows exactly what they were doing. Everyone remembers, 'it made me cry' or 'I was sitting next to my cousin' or 'I had the guide open, thinking this can't be right.' They know exactly where they were when that moment happened. And so from the very get-go, beginning my research for this project, that's the first thing I saw. Knowing that she has that place in people's hearts was a lot of pressure from the very beginning. To actually take on that challenge of giving this character life, it's been one of the most challenging and rewarding experiences of my entire life."

I wonder if they've started recording anything for the second game yet. Good article too. I hope people end up liking the performances despite the mixed first impressions, because everyone seems really passionate about it.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
SE will burn to the ground if they change her death haha so I don't see that changing.

Status
Not open for further replies.