Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
I'm listening to Max's spoiler video about Chapter 2 and boy are some people going to FREAK THE FUCK OUT at some of the story changes.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
i forgot that crisis core ended with a new rendition of the final fantasy vii into. i wish people would include it in their comparison videos, it's a cool middle step between the original and the remake's versions of the intro

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She arguably has the most depressing thing to say about Aerith if you talk to her in an optional dialog...

She's the only one who realizes that Aerith probably didn't know she was going to die that day, and had every intention of coming back to the group.
Isn't this incorrect though? As per the Compilation.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
I'm listening to Max's spoiler video about Chapter 2 and boy are some people going to FREAK THE FUCK OUT at some of the story changes.

I like remixes of this kind of shit.

Take something sacred and fuck with it, Evangelion style.

The best part is how much people hate it.

On topic: Demo was alright. I liked the stagger mechanic way more than I thought I would. Switching characters feels fucking meaty and satisfying.

But! I hate how flashy the basic attacks are for Cloud...feels like it diminishes the value of the special attacks. And Cloud's superhuman jumping and hovering abilities (both in and out of cutscene).

The demo was like 80% good and 20% bullshit.

On a scale from better to completely similar how does the combat compare to FFXV?

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
On a scale from better to completely similar how does the combat compare to FFXV?

FFXV's combat was pretty undercooked at best and bad at it's worst.

Attacks were done by holding the button and a lot of it lacked any feeling of impact. Magic was folded into a crafting system that involved absorbing elements from various spots on the open-world so you didn't always have it at your disposal. On the flipside magic could completely trivialize every fight in the game.

Enemies also lacked basic tells so it was hard to understand when to block or dodge a lot of the time. The biggest form of defensive play was holding block when the big "Block" QTE appeared which is a lot less satisfying than VII Remake's guard/counter in Punisher Mode.

I would put the combat in VIIR miles above XV in basically every way. It feels well thought out and I'm really excited to see how deep it goes once we have access to materia and different weapons.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Just played the demo the second time, and the combat really does start clicking the second time. I've also watched Max's video about Chapter 2 and beyond stuff and I'm super stoked to play the full game. Some of the stuff it seems they are expanding on sounds really cool. I'm also excited that they are allowing you to upgrade and customize weapons a bit. This is a potentially great change, imo.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017

You are right, i'll avoid all the negativity around that.

You know what i'm totally fine with any story change, want something refreshing, not just a retold of something I've play 4-5 times. And seriously what he said sound way cooler then the orignal game.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
You are right, i'll avoid all the negativity around that.

You know what i'm totally fine with any story change, want something refreshing, not just a retold of something I've play 4-5 times. And seriously what he said sound way cooler then the orignal game.
Agreed. I can already imagine the negative threads and posts based on how this stuff goes with Final Fantasy, so I'm probably going to ignore a lot of that stuff. I liked what I heard.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
FFXV's combat was pretty undercooked at best and bad at it's worst.

Attacks were done by holding the button and a lot of it lacked any feeling of impact. Magic was folded into a crafting system that involved absorbing elements from various spots on the open-world so you didn't always have it at your disposal. On the flipside magic could completely trivialize every fight in the game.

Enemies also lacked basic tells so it was hard to understand when to block or dodge a lot of the time. The biggest form of defensive play was holding block when the big "Block" QTE appeared which is a lot less satisfying than VII Remake's guard/counter in Punisher Mode.

Biggest problem with FFXV is how everything wasn't balance at all. item usage is broken, magic is broken, weapon type is broken, stat make no sense, caracther skill are unbalance, the game is a joke in difficulty. You gave me a skill to "revive" ally when i can just use a potion that make the same thing, faster and easier... and you can stock 99 of them, just limit them to 10 would have greatly help the game. In the end all the ennemies one shot you, you just need 99 of each item to pass them. FFXV was just a rush untest gameplay loop all around, no care was put into balancing the game, the end result suffer a LOT.

Noctis0Stella

Mar 17, 2019
Biggest problem with FFXV is how everything wasn't balance at all. item usage is broken, magic is broken, weapon type is broken, stat make no sense, caracther skill are unbalance, the game is a joke in difficulty. You gave me a skill to "revive" ally when i can just use a potion that make the same thing, faster and easier... and you can stock 99 of them, just limit them to 10 would have greatly help the game. In the end all the ennemies one shot you, you just need 99 of each item to pass them. FFXV was just a rush untest gameplay loop all around, no care was put into balancing the game, the end result suffer a LOT.
My thoughts exactly.
FF VII Remake is already making it much better in terms of the magic system, item usage and also the diffculty.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Do they sound like good changes? At least intriguing ones?

As long as it isn't Third Birthday levels of "ah ha, we got you" then sure. But I'll keep fearing for that.

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I can't stop playing this damn demo. Pretty much the first thing I do when I start up my PS4.
Must've played it over 15 times now haha.

Oct 30, 2017

As long as it isn't Third Birthday levels of "ah ha, we got you" then sure. But I'll keep fearing for that.

They don't bother me, it's more that they're jamming in stuff from later on the game into Midgar, plus expanding on areas. It's more intriguing than anything. Ppl who played the original should enjoy the additions, while everyone else will have no clue what is new.

If you're a purist, then your going to be bothered by stuff.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

its not really changing anything story wise, just
bringing up stuff on what happened in Nibelheim a bit earlier without the detailed context from Cloud's retelling in Kalm. Mainly Sephiroth is haunting and tormenting Cloud over the entire chapter as he has breakdowns over the destruction

Well i guess there is a change involving meeting Aerith but you seen the spooks already from the trailers and them bugging her.

Deleted member 49482

Banned
Nov 8, 2018

Balfour goes over exactly what it is in the spoiler tag in his post above. I personally think talking about these specific changes in general terms isn't much of a spoiler, but I can definitely understand why people wouldn't want to be spoiled by the details.

Without getting into spoilers, I'll just put it this way:

You know that feeling we all had toward Sephiroth in FF7? That feeling that stemmed from the first moment you see the trails of blood through Shinra HQ, to seeing his sword in President Shinra's office, to the first flashback sequence in Kalm, and through to the Midgar Zolom being found on a pike?

Well, 23 years later, Sephiroth and who he is and what he is capable of just aren't surprises to us. But these changes...it sounds like they are going to be very effective in making us feel those exact same feelings from 23 years ago toward Sephiroth throughout the course of this game. I have the impression that at least these specific changes are going to be done VERY WELL.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The demo was fun, but painfully cheesy. I also cannot stand the constant over emphasized grunt noises in anime. I had no idea going up stairs required so much grunting.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

iverron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watching someone play it after mostly not following its development and man this rendition of Those Who Fight Further is not very good.

Voxy

Dec 3, 2019
Yesterday I started replaying the original game and with only 5:30 hours of gameplay I finished the Midgar chapter. I'm really curious how they gonna extend Midgar into a full game.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Adding in Sephiroth moments that were never part of the OG during Midgar isn't what I would call a retcon.
Sephiroth couldn't appear like that because he doesn't gain a physical body to control until he takes over Jenova at Shinra HQ. I'd say these early appearances could be chalked up to hallucinations and are fine, but Maximillion says he physically pushes Aerith... though it sounds like Aerith can't see him so who knows.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
Watching someone play it after mostly not following its development and man this rendition of Those Who Fight Further is not very good.

The version of Those Who Fight Further that plays during the scorpion boss fight is actually a 4 phase arrangement of that and Bombing Mission, so I wouldn't really call it a rendition.

The more orchestrated version we heard during a recent trailer is also not the only version.

The b-roll footage that was released alongside previews on Monday does have a more classic version of Those Who Fight Further filled with guitars and everything, as can be heard at around 2 minutes in this video (spoilers I guess?).

Oct 30, 2017
Yesterday I started replaying the original game and with only 5:30 hours of gameplay I finished the Midgar chapter. I'm really curious how they gonna extend Midgar into a full game.

The coverage for the game has given quite a bit of impressions on how they will do this. You can infer that it will be quite full of things to do and characters to interact with. However, you also have sections that have more content added to it which will also extend the time it takes to go through those areas.

If I had to guess, things will take two to three time more time then they did in the original, and then all the extra stuff they added to the game.

Oct 30, 2017
I like remixes of this kind of shit.

Take something sacred and fuck with it, Evangelion style.

The best part is how much people hate it.

On topic: Demo was alright. I liked the stagger mechanic way more than I thought I would. Switching characters feels fucking meaty and satisfying.

But! I hate how flashy the basic attacks are for Cloud...feels like it diminishes the value of the special attacks. And Cloud's superhuman jumping and hovering abilities (both in and out of cutscene).

The demo was like 80% good and 20% bullshit.

Better in some aspects, worse in others. It's missing the versatility and options of the XV combat, but it's a lot simpler.

I don't think it's worse in anyway, and find it far more competent. I also don't find it simpler than XV, but maybe you can give more details of what you mean.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's worse in anyway, and find it far more competent. I also don't find it simpler than XV, but maybe you can give more details of what you mean.

Well, for starters Magic is a lot more boring, going back to being simply a damage dealer instead of interacting with the environment. I'm going to miss freezing bodies of water to trap the enemies and making them slower, or using the rain to spread my Lightning attacks, or vegetation to spread the Fire damage and draining their stamina, Also, missing the aerial combat, the ability to target flying enemies and engaging them in the air for as long as possible using Aerial Dance, the on-the-fly weapon switching on the main character to match the enemies' weakness, the enemy flanking, the blindsiding, the AWESOME Link Strikes, and of course, the magnificent warping.

On the other hand, I'm super glad that VII Remake prevents item abuse by locking them to the ATB Bar.

But that's just me. I really like options and versatility.

Deleted member 49482

Banned
Nov 8, 2018
On the other hand, I'm super glad that VII Remake prevents item abuse by locking them to the ATB Bar.

I haven't played many modern RPGs, and I'm specifically ignorant on FFXV's combat system, so my perspective is going to be colored by that, but I think it makes a lot of sense to look at FF7R's battle system as turn-based combat with some pretty wrapping to make it more engaging on a second-to-second basis.

Mashing the square button for attacks to fill up your ATB gauge, along with switching characters, seems like they're there to give you something to do and keep you engaged between "turns." Then like the original FF7, once your gauge is full, you're choosing from the typical options (attack, magic, items, limit break, etc.). However, this time your special attacks are basically equivalent to your normal attacks in the original FF7.

I say this all in a good way as I like the combat system, but in my somewhat uneducated eyes when it comes to modern RPGs, it's seems really, really far from being anything close to an action game combat system.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
Balfour goes over exactly what it is in the spoiler tag in his post above. I personally think talking about these specific changes in general terms isn't much of a spoiler, but I can definitely understand why people wouldn't want to be spoiled by the details.

Without getting into spoilers, I'll just put it this way:

You know that feeling we all had toward Sephiroth in FF7? That feeling that stemmed from the first moment you see the trails of blood through Shinra HQ, to seeing his sword in President Shinra's office, to the first flashback sequence in Kalm, and through to the Midgar Zolom being found on a pike?

Well, 23 years later, Sephiroth and who he is and what he is capable of just aren't surprises to us. But these changes...it sounds like they are going to be very effective in making us feel those exact same feelings from 23 years ago toward Sephiroth throughout the course of this game. I have the impression that at least these specific changes are going to be done VERY WELL.

WTF are you serious? Can April 10th be here already cause goddamn that's hype.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I haven't played many modern RPGs, and I'm specifically ignorant on FFXV's combat system, so my perspective is going to be colored by that, but I think it makes a lot of sense to look at FF7R's battle system as turn-based combat with some pretty wrapping to make it more engaging on a second-to-second basis.

Mashing the square button for attacks to fill up your ATB gauge, along with switching characters, seems like they're there to give you something to do and keep you engaged between "turns." Then like the original FF7, once your gauge is full, you're choosing from the typical options (attack, magic, items, limit break, etc.). However, this time your special attacks are basically equivalent to your normal attacks in the original FF7.

I say this all in a good way as I like the combat system, but in my somewhat uneducated eyes when it comes to modern RPGs, it's seems really, really far from being anything close to an action game combat system.
This is exactly how I see it too and why I don't think things like dodge cancelling are needed here.

Even between ATB charges it's like you're making decisions. I wonder if all boss encounters will have a similar 'pace' to them when it comes to outgoing attacks. Seems like you really only have time for one and a bit sword combos against Scorpion (but I haven't tested this)

Oct 25, 2017

Oh believe me, I'm LOVING the VII Remake combat system. It's simple, down-to-the-point, super responsive, flashy, polished and entertaining. I honestly cannot wait to face more bosses. I just hope they don't make them damage sponges like the Guardian Scorpion, but I'm sure that was due to it being a demo. The final game should be a lot more balanced.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
The b-roll footage that was released alongside previews on Monday does have a more classic version of Those Who Fight Further filled with guitars and everything, as can be heard at around 2 minutes in this video (spoilers I guess?).

I absolutely cannot get over how fucking cool Tifa's attack animations are. Everyone knows she had the best fight scene in Advent Children and she will probably be the most fun to watch during combat in the Remake, too.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Well, for starters Magic is a lot more boring, going back to being simply a damage dealer instead of interacting with the environment. I'm going to miss freezing bodies of water to trap the enemies and making them slower, or using the rain to spread my Lightning attacks, or vegetation to spread the Fire damage and draining their stamina, Also, missing the aerial combat, the ability to target flying enemies and engaging them in the air for as long as possible using Aerial Dance, the on-the-fly weapon switching on the main character to match the enemies' weakness, the enemy flanking, the blindsiding, the AWESOME Link Strikes, and of course, the magnificent warping.

That's fair, I don't see FF7R doing environments. It definitely has a unique style. I like the warping and weapon switching too, but I still didn't find it engaging. However, I never played updated XV so maybe I'm missing perspective.

Even based on a simplified demo stripped of mechanics, I'm liking the implementation with old and new. The combat feels nice, then quickly using abilities or slowing it down to access abilities while switching to the next character all feels pretty good, but it took a bit to get use to. What will be interesting is to see how much materia you can have and how it will all come together, we will see.

just hope they don't make them damage sponges like the Guardian Scorpion, but I'm sure that was due to it being a demo.

I think depending on how you play it's not like that. My second play through I burnt through the scorpian really fast. It's also been discussed in impressions about enemies feeling spongy until you learn the combat a bit more and how to approach them.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017

I think because you can keybind almost everything so you don't have to use the menus. So the turn-based system can all be completely done in real time.

It's a pretty ingenious solution, and I really believe them when they said in interviews it must have been hard to get right.

Oct 25, 2017
I think depending on how you play it's not like that. My second play through I burnt through the scorpian really fast. It's also been discussed in impressions about enemies feeling spongy until you learn the combat a bit more and how to approach them.

Interesting. I've only played the demo once (Because I don't want to get burned out when the game releases). Perhaps I will try a different strategy!

Deleted member 49482

Banned
Nov 8, 2018
I absolutely cannot get over how fucking cool Tifa's attack animations are. Everyone knows she had the best fight scene in Advent Children and she will probably be the most fun to watch during combat in the Remake, too.
In the original FF7, Tifa was never a must-have party member in combat for me. She just never really resonated with me compared to some of the other characters. But god damn, after watching footage of her combat in the Remake, she's not only immediately going into my preferred party line-up, but I may also have to set her as the party leader so I can immediately default to using her in combat every time.

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
Interesting. I've only played the demo once (Because I don't want to get burned out when the game releases). Perhaps I will try a different strategy!
You should look up some people doing the fight on youtube, think people are getting the fight down to about 2 and a half minutes now.
In the original FF7, Tifa was never a must-have party member in combat for me. She just never really resonated with me compared to some of the other characters. But god damn, after watching footage of her combat in the Remake, she's not only immediately going into my preferred party line-up, but I may also have to set her as the party leader so I can immediately default to using her in combat every time.
As someone who ALWAYS had her in the party (powersoul too stronk), I could not be happier

msia2k75

Nov 1, 2017
The demo was fun, but painfully cheesy. I also cannot stand the constant over emphasized grunt noises in anime. I had no idea going up stairs required so much grunting.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

Actually the japanese version has a lot less grunt compared to the english version (in fact the french version has that too). No idea why it's like that...

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I have zero problems with it.

The most exciting part of this whole concept to me is seeing all the new stuff they've added or adding new takes on old story beats. Hope we even get new party members at some point.

I wanted just a straight up remake with classic ATB when it first announced but fuck it, lets go.

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Demo is starting to grow on me a bit. I started to compare it with the original and you actually do need to use every ability now where you didn't really need to in the original game.

Steelskin is pretty damn useful against the Sentinel for example. And Thunder is mandatory this time. I guess we're getting extra ATB bars, faster charge with the right materia or gear combinations (or Haste materia). All materia to stagger groups with magic. So we can probably go to town with the right builds. This is very akin to FFXIII, which battle system I liked. The difference here is that your movement and attacks are real time and you can control everybody. You need to constantly take note of the stagger bar, your party ATB bars, health and MP. And manage your helper abilities too.

Still not a fan of the FOV and the short tells, though I just end up using Barret against the boss from range and select the occasional Braver for Cloud.

Last edited:

ShiftyHermit

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed the demo. The combat system felt pretty good, though I think I will like it much more than I did with practice or playing more consistently. Switching between characters and doing separate acting should feel more fluid with more practice.

The graphics looked amazing. I'm really looking forward to this, Ghost of Tsushima, and TLoU2.

Status
Not open for further replies.