Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
I had a lot of fun with the demo. I was musing whilst playing it that FFVIIR's Jessie feels more like OG English Aeris than the actual Aerith I've seen in the remake thus far. Well, maybe Jessie's got 40% more snark than on even Aeris back in the day. Erica Lindbeck does a fantastic job with her, and I'm actually baffled she's not voicing Aerith in the first place since she's a very experienced VA, and a fantastic actress besides.

FFVIIR has done a great job at making Jessie, Biggs, and Wedge really likeable, and I loved the banter between Jessie and Biggs in the demo re: Cloud. I was never particularly emotionally invested in their characters in the original game... so not only to we get to look forward to the heartbreak of losing Aerith, but now the horror of losing the original Avalanche trio, too. Ouch, Square. Ouch.

Love it.

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe they actually did it and it plays so well and looks so incredible.

Fucking perpetual Kudos to the team that labored on this.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Apparently Red 13 has many lines in the remake:

Coming up next are new comments regarding the Japanese cast. Nomura explained how Red XIII had very few lines in Advent Children, so he was voiced by Masachika Ichimura making a special appearance. Ichimura is more of an actor than a seiyuu, and the only major character he voices is Pokemon's Mewtwo. Since Red XIII has many lines in the Remake, the development team decided to recast the role. Red XIII is now voiced by Kappei Yamaguchi, a veteran seiyuu known for many anime and game roles including Ranma.

Nomura likes Barret's character a lot:

Tetsuya Nomura: "Barret is someone so badass he decided to replace his lost arm with a weapon. The extreme way of voicing him that Masahiro Kobayashi did fits perfectly. He really got into the character, without the need for directions, and most of the lines were one takes. Barret is really charismatic and interesting in the Remake. I tend to like old guys characters like him, and he's my favorite".

Nomura says that Cloud in Remake is Weird, wants to be cool but sometimes end up being comical or lame.

Tetsuya Nomura: "Cloud in Final Fantasy VII Remake is weird. There are many times when he tries to act cool but fails or acts awkwardly. He gets nervous where most people wouldn't. This might surprise you, as the Cloud in Advent Children was cool. But that's because it was post-FFVII Cloud, plus we were limited, so we focused on emphasizing his cool side. However, in the original game, Cloud had many comical or lame moments, and this is what we went for with the Remake. I asked Takahiro Sakurai, who voices Cloud, to reflect that in his acting. I hope you'll enjoy it."

The battle system took a long time to figure out (and it paid off i think!)
Tetsuya Nomura: "I already mentioned this in the past, but since development began, we redid the battle system many times. Real-time and ATB are inherently opposed, so fusing both necessitated a lot of trial and error. I can't thank enough the staff who persevered and shaped the battle system into what it is now, overcoming this challenge and managing to find the right balance."

Nomura also mentioned how they included many different battle situations and enemy patterns, including flying enemies and a 3D element. This way, controlling Cloud at all times isn't the most efficient way do handle things, and it'll make players experiment with the other characters. He also mentioned the Remake has a lot of mini-bosses to let us fully enjoy the battle system. He also spoke about how the battles are incredibly vivid, be it the various effects when using magic or all the battle dialogue:

Most grueling project he's ever worked on, most voiced lines in any game he's made

Tetsuya Nomura: "We heavily focused on the game's atmosphere and immersion during battles. Maybe we overdid it when it comes to dialogue during battles (laughs). Recording everything was pretty difficult. At peak period we had up to 9 recording sessions a week, dividing them between two or three different studios. It might be the game with the most voiced lines I've worked on. Overall, in over 20 years of game development, Final Fantasy VII Remake was probably the most grueling project I worked on (laughs)"

Having the characters speak so much during battles was an idea from Motomu Toriyama, the co-director of Final Fantasy VII Remake.

The overall reception at events and from the debug team was very positive, and Nomura is confident in the game. He pointed out how the Remake's objective is to both satisfy the old fans and make players who never experience the original get why it's so great.

A very dense game, side-content has a focus on quality:
Tetsuya Nomura: "I know many are worried since the Remake project is in multiple games, and the first game only depicts Midgar. Don't worry. It's a highly dense game, and it doesn't end after a few hours like the Midgar part in the original. There are many new events in the main story. Like a scene where you end up visiting Jessie's parents, eating dinner. Each member of Avalanche is much more detailed compared to the original game, with new events to boot. By the time players leave Midgar, I'm sure they'll be satisfied."

Tetsuya Nomura: "We made the sidequest content to be as big as the main story. At the beginning, the development team readied even more content, but we wouldn't have been able to do everything without cutting corners, so we prioritized quality. We wouldn't have been able to finish the game otherwise. Despite that, the game is quite big, there are many places you can visit, and you can even move around using vehicles at some points."

www.dualshockers.com

Tetsuya Nomura Reveals New Details on Final Fantasy VII Remake

Tetsuya Nomura revealed new details on Final Fantasy VII Remake including its story changes, theme song, character designs, and battle system.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think it was relatively pitch perfect.

My one 'complaint' is that it kind of feels like a (gorgeous) PSP/Vita game. It feels very narrow and streamlined with relatively small areas that are essentially nicely decorated hallways. This was a bit exacerbated by the very video-gamey addition of the breakable Shin-Ra boxes that drop glowy orbs. Those are fine by themselves, but they are currently implemented as if they are the one breakable that drops items.

I am hoping that Midgar opens up a little bit.

I'd like to have an option to change to the classic soundtrack.

Matt Jones from Breaking Bad was really recognizable! Well-cast.

msia2k75

Nov 1, 2017
"Having the characters speak so much during battles was an idea from Motomu Toriyama, the co-director of Final Fantasy VII Remake. "

Calling it right now... the world map in FFVIIR-2 will a series of Gran Pulse alike between each major location.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
I've just saw the video from Maximilian that was talking about the preview build he just played....

He mention 2 times into the video how challenging the game feel on normal.... i'm starting to really feel exited about that game !

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Listened to about 10-15 minutes of Max's preview impressions before bailing to avoid spoiling too much. What I caught in that time was really encouraging though, specifically the way they're expanding on the bombing mission.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
I've just saw the video from Maximilian that was talking about the preview build he just played....

He mention 2 times into the video how challenging the game feel on normal.... i'm starting to really feel exited about that game !
My only minor gripe about the game is that they haven't said a word about a hard mode, especially one being available off the bat. This combat system is soo good, I just once them to force me to push it to its absolute limit!

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017

Nomura says that Cloud in Remake is Weird, wants to be cool but sometimes end up being comical or lame.

Most grueling project he's ever worked on, most voiced lines in any game he's made

www.dualshockers.com

Tetsuya Nomura revealed new details on Final Fantasy VII Remake including its story changes, theme song, character designs, and battle system.

his sidequest comments are the best news out of this.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

www.dualshockers.com

That last qoute makes me giggity.

"Having the characters speak so much during battles was an idea from Motomu Toriyama, the co-director of Final Fantasy VII Remake. "

Calling it right now... the world map in FFVIIR-2 will a series of Gran Pulse alike between each major location.

Would be amazing tbh.

Hard mode apparently is in after you beat the game. So prepare for a second playthrough :D

I.Hate.This.

Give me the Hard mode right of the bat. I will never play a game twice just get a harder version of it. I want that the first playthrough.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
also want to point out that this qoute from Nomura

Tetsuya Nomura: "We heavily focused on the game's atmosphere and immersion during battles. Maybe we overdid it when it comes to dialogue during battles (laughs). Recording everything was pretty difficult. At peak period we had up to 9 recording sessions a week, dividing them between two or three different studios. It might be the game with the most voiced lines I've worked on. Overall, in over 20 years of game development, Final Fantasy VII Remake was probably the most grueling project I worked on (laughs)"

Having the characters speak so much during battles was an idea from Motomu Toriyama, the co-director of Final Fantasy VII Remake.

The overall reception at events and from the debug team was very positive, and Nomura is confident in the game. He pointed out how the Remake's objective is to both satisfy the old fans and make players who never experience the original get why it's so great.

just underlines how massive of a project this single part might be and not just a money milking short experience like some people alway shout out

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
Give me the Hard mode right of the bat. I will never play a game twice just get a harder version of it. I want that the first playthrough.

To be fair, you can skip cutscenes. I was thinking about letting the wife play on my account for her first playthrough and when she's done, boom. I got hard mode.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
To be fair, you can skip cutscenes. I was thinking about letting the wife play on my account for her first playthrough and when she's done, boom. I got hard mode.

I will not skip through it to get something arbitary hidden behind a playthrough so you stretch how long people play your game. I dont replay games so this is just always a trash decision for me personally.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
I understand having to beat the game to unlock hard mode is shitty but let's be honest, people were having trouble with the demo boss on normal.

I'm sure it'll be challenging enough and if anything I'll run through it again on the ps5.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
If Hard mode is only available after beating it then I hope Normal is pretty challenging and Hard is downright brutal.

also want to point out that this qoute from Nomura

just underlines how massive of a project this single part might be and not just a money milking short experience like some people alway shout out
Anybody still saying this is a lazy money-grab is in denial or just hasn't been paying attention.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Hard mode is only available after beating it then I hope Normal is pretty challenging and Hard is downright brutal.

Anybody still saying this is a lazy money-grab is in denial or just hasn't been paying attention.

I mean two blu-rays of content and the cutscenes are not recorded. This game will have tons of stuff to do.

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Max said they turned to his reaction videos when the team's morale was low, so here is definitely extreme pressure to get it right.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I mean two blu-rays of content and the cutscenes are not recorded. This game will have tons of stuff to do.
I imagine the narrative is gonna stick until the game is released. Until proven otherwise, the idea that they're "only giving ten percent of a game" is gonna be tough for some people to get past.

(Honestly, I expect it's something we'll be hearing a lot about no matter how much content they end up putting into it.)

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine the narrative is gonna stick until the game is released. Until proven otherwise, the idea that they're "only giving ten percent of a game" is gonna be tough for some people to get past.

(Honestly, I expect it's something we'll be hearing a lot about no matter how much content they end up putting into it.)

Yeah, the fact alone that this is the Nomura's game with the biggest number of voice lines is already a sign of hope.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Just the opening and the ending. Some key scenes will be CG thanks to the required action but not enough to make the game come in 2 discs

Just the opening and ending of the first chapter. If there are many chapters throughout the game and that ratio persists, it could be a fair amount.

We also have to consider that RDR2 and TLOU2 are also two disc games, and they (definitely RDR2 and probably TLOU2 if U4 is any indication) don't have CGI cutscenes at all.

FFVIIR may well be insanely huge. But it could also just be a normal-length RPG with a lot of unique assets and dialogue and not much compression. A large data size doesn't necessarily translate to length.

Last edited:

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
The Compilation of Final Fantasy VII seems to be canon to the remake. They also mention that Avalanche tried to murder President Shinra in the past, and that's a plot line from Before Crisis.

It is not canon. It just has some parts of it in the remake. The remake it is in it's own universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.