• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Solarc

Sep 24, 2018
Dominican Republic
No minimap mod:

www.nexusmods.com

No Minimap

Mod that removes the minimap permanently.

It seems the author made it for FF1 specifically, but a couple people have mentioned it seems to also work for 2 and 3 (use at your own risk ofc).

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Ran through the first game again just to see how different 2x Fighter, White Mage, Black Mage would be compared to my previous party, and it seemed quite a bit stronger overall. I rarely used black magic most of the game if that tier also had a healing spell on my Red Mage anyway. Two Fighters seemed to make up for the lack of a third decent physical attacker too because so many enemies I would have to use my Thief + Red Mage on to kill, where a Fighter can kill the same enemy in a single turn.

Chaos was relatively cake this time around, and he even cast Haste (but didn't heal). I did end up losing one Fighter once due to my own hubris at not prioritizing keeping them above 350 health at all times, and one of them ate a Flare for 330 while at 302 health, but otherwise it was easy. Finished the game previously at level 55, but this time at level 45 and in five less hours.

Solarc

Sep 24, 2018
Dominican Republic
Finally got my class changes today and although I've gotten used to the weird proportions I don't like some of the colors... Why did they change the Warrior's, Knight's, and White Mage's hair color from red to brown but left the White Wizard's as is? Also, why did their eye color go from blue to black? The Ninja's used to be brown and now their black as well...

I'm crying. Warmech spawned after 10 minutes and he wiped me with Nuke.
Damn, sorry to hear that, I really hope this doesn't happen to me...

Vade

Oct 26, 2017
You have to defeat it. I'm level 48ish with a war, war, war, rdm set up. I've lost 4 times now lol. I'm doing a better job of quick saving so i keep my EXP every once in a while.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Was level 62 by the time I found Warmech. It took about 40 minutes to find. It just Nuked two times and nearly wiped me out completely (RIP black mage). Not sure what was harder: the sliding puzzle, or Warmech.

So now that should be 100% on Final Fantasy 1. Now to move on to the second game.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
So one big thing with FF1 is since everyone is in the party since the start, so after each battle every one is the same level & exp amount.
Which is something I've never experienced in a JRPG.

I was playing for about 40 minutes did a bunch of things, leveled up. Then my Monk died just before the the end of the battle to some river enemies.
No biggie, I used Life after and got back into it. Of course next battle his EXP is now off by a bit, no big deal...
Each time I saw that exp gain at the end of battle and his being off...
giphy.gif

Had to go back to an older auto save, ha, just couldn't do it.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So one big thing with FF1 is since everyone is in the party since the start, so after each battle every one is the same level & exp amount.

I was playing for about 40 minutes did a bunch of things, leveled up and my Monk died to some river enemies who seemed to love targeting him.
No biggie, will use Life and get back into it. Of course next battle his EXP is now off by a bit, no big deal...
giphy.gif

yep. I have reloaded my game many times because of this lol. FF3 is the same. Though at some point late in my ff3 playthrough, I had to let go lol.

Solarc

Sep 24, 2018
Dominican Republic

I was playing for about 40 minutes did a bunch of things, leveled up. Then my Monk died just before the the end of the battle to some river enemies.
No biggie, I used Life after and got back into it. Of course next battle his EXP is now off by a bit, no big deal...
giphy.gif

This is me in every JRPG lol

Oct 25, 2017
I used to do the keep all at the same exp level but I'm not for these playthroughs, gave it up early-its a relief.

But am I the only weirdo that handles ff1 in this order:
Canoe-
Castle Ordeals
Ice Cave
Class Change
Sea Shrine
Volcano
Flying Tower

Volcano was just so tedious in the initial version for me (combined with having to use the nes advantage turbo controller to buy potions) that I haven't played this game in the "proper" order since 1991 (ouch, 30 years ago)

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Running away from Warmech won't count towards the bestiary (I tried this when I was down to 1 character alive).

It does count if Warmech itself runs away though.
Ahhh good to know. Thanks!

Right, finished FINAL FANTASY III. Unbelievable game, 9/10 and easily up there with IV and V in terms of quality for me. Was really not expecting to love it so much going in, given the DS version was one of my least liked games.

Loved the class-based gameplay where you have to work out which classes you should be using, a nice unique spin on it.

Loved the story. Especially the background plot of the Ancients, Desch and The Wrath of Light. I love that it was mostly told through NPCs and environmental stuff, whilst the main plot was running in the foreground.

A real step up from FF1&2s barebones story, which is surprising given you have a nameless faceless main character. But the Onion Knight has a surprising amount of dialogue and personality.

Soundtrack was fun and melodic, and the ending theme was particularly amazing.

Roll on FF4!

Last edited:

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Thank god for the battle speed mod making FF2 tolerable. These dungeons are starting to really suck. Doing the Cave of Mysidia right now and I hate it.

Thankfully, the game is super easy.

I really hope to god I don't miss anything for the achievement. Following the guide, but still really nervous about it.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019

giphy.gif

It's a personal battle with every JRPG I play where your party is constant to try to keep their XP the same for as long as possible.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
My god FF2 is starting to become intolerable. Does every single enemy need to inflict a status effect?

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I used to be the same but I just gave up and now my life is so much better.
Yeah, this bothered me at first but I just learned to roll with it. Eventually it staggered out too where my Warrior leveled up first, then Ninja, then White Wizard, then Black Wizard, which was the order I had them in on the field anyway, so it still satisfied some kind of "well this looks neat and tidy" itch I had while playing.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I was around level 60 when I fought Warmech. I had the default party and it barely scratched me. I was actually kind of disappointed because I was hoping for a challenging fight, but it went down in like 3 or 4 rounds. Chaos was tougher.

Anyways, I think I'm still pretty early in FFII. The dreadnought just bombed Altair and few other villages. I'm enjoying the game so far, but it freakin reminds me of FFXIV with how often I have to go talk to someone, return to the hideout, then go talk to someone else, return to the hideout, etc. lol

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
My god FF2 is starting to become intolerable. Does every single enemy need to inflict a status effect?

Yes!

I found the best way to mitigate was just to have very high evasion from shields and/or blink, and then just pray you burn the enemy down faster. Encounter rate/exp modifiers I think would benefit this game the most of the three.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Warmech just refuses to spawn for me. I'm about two hours into grinding for this thing.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the status ailments in FFII.

Like, there's a green poison that goes away after battle, but there's a purple one that doesn't? lol

I don't really mind the status effects, though, it keeps battles interesting.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Anyways, I think I'm still pretty early in FFII. The dreadnought just bombed Altair and few other villages. I'm enjoying the game so far, but it freakin reminds me of FFXIV with how often I have to go talk to someone, return to the hideout, then go talk to someone else, return to the hideout, etc. lol
It was really surprising going back to FF2, it's very different to how I remember. It's got like a mission-based structure. You go back to the Rebel Hideout, and then they send you after X, then you come back, then next mission you're sent after Y and then you come back, and it carries on like that. I think it kind of works but it's certainly strange for an FF game.

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the status ailments in FFII.

Like, there's a green poison that goes away after battle, but there's a purple one that doesn't? lol

I don't really mind the status effects, though, it keeps battles interesting.
It's really the only thing that can threaten your characters in the game. Everything else is so easy, especially in this version. The only time I've been even close to a game over is when the enemy ambushes me and instakills the team members one by one.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I think I'm hooked on FFII now. I only intended to play for a little bit, but I ended up getting the bell from the snow dungeon and then went to the Keep and got the Sunfire. RIP Josef, sorry you had to fall to the ol' Indiana Jones boulder trap.

AHHHH! So that's why "Wild Rose" seemed so vaguely familiar to me... That's a cool reference that totally went over my head before lol.

It was really surprising going back to FF2, it's very different to how I remember. It's got like a mission-based structure. You go back to the Rebel Hideout, and then they send you after X, then you come back, then next mission you're sent after Y and then you come back, and it carries on like that. I think it kind of works but it's certainly strange for an FF game.
Right?! All it's missing is the big "Mission Complete" text and rewards screen after you talk to Hilda each time lol

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
It's really the only thing that can threaten your characters in the game. Everything else is so easy, especially in this version. The only time I've been even close to a game over is when the enemy ambushes me and instakills the team members one by one.
Yeah, it's been insanely easy so far. I've only wiped twice. First time I strayed too far on the world map and ran into some OP monsters. And the other time was when I tried to take on the imperial soldiers in Fynn at the beginning of the game 😅

Mobs drop so much gear and healing items that I don't really need to buy much. And my healer has so much MP I rarely need to stay at an inn. FFI was a lot tougher (until late game when I had so much gil that I could buy 99 of every healing item lol)

Solarc

Sep 24, 2018
Dominican Republic
Found Warmech under 13 minutes, how lucky! Motherfucker ambushed us and opened up with Nuke, but we was ready, dude actually got my Knight in the red, I swear it must have some kinda damage-reduction ability cuz it started taking way less damage from my physical attacks at one point...

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I still can't believe the credits scenes are like 15 minutes long and they still couldn't manage to make a game without stutter.

Anyways, Master of I and Master of II complete. Onto III.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017

giphy.gif

XD this legit happened to me too. I was much earlier though and much less of a roll back but my white mage died and was just bit behind everyone and I was all "nope" and just reloaded my last autosave.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I still can't believe the credits scenes are like 15 minutes long and they still couldn't manage to make a game without stutter.

Anyways, Master of I and Master of II complete. Onto III.
I unlocked every achievement (iOS version) and the Master of I achievement didn't come up :( Square-Enix just made the enemy list.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
The long national nightmare is over. Warmech has been found and beaten.

Now it's time. We're here to kill chaos.

GenericJoe

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully someone will make a mod that fixes the 100% status effect chance on physical hits in FFII. Apparently Magic Defense gave you a chance to avoid them in the older versions but it doesn't work in this one. It's pretty clear that it's a bug and not an intentional rebalancing but the chances Square Enix fixes it themselves is probably pretty slim.

I want to play the games in release order, but I don't want to play FFII PR unless there's a fix for this. If it's not fixed by the time FFVI comes out I'll probably just play the PSP version of FFII instead.

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully someone will make a mod that fixes the 100% status effect chance on physical hits in FFII. Apparently Magic Defense gave you a chance to avoid them in the older versions but it doesn't work in this one. It's pretty clear that it's a bug and not an intentional rebalancing but the chances Square Enix fixes it themselves is probably pretty slim.

I want to play the games in release order, but I don't want to play FFII PR unless there's a fix for this. If it's not fixed by the time FFVI comes out I'll probably just play the PSP version of FFII instead.

The bug adds like 10 minutes to a playthrough. Much better than adding, like 10 hours by playing on PSP. It isn't intentional, but most of the travesty of game mechanics that have filled previous versions of FF2 aren't particularly intentional, either.

The row change made the fucking atrocity of evasion's skill-up algorithm matter a ton, so there's multiple points of failure, but those points of failure are small compared to the iceberg that are the original mechanics.

GenericJoe

Oct 27, 2017
The bug adds like 10 minutes to a playthrough. Much better than adding, like 10 hours by playing on PSP. It isn't intentional, but most of the travesty of game mechanics that have filled previous versions of FF2 aren't particularly intentional, either.

The row change made the fucking atrocity of evasion's skill-up algorithm matter a ton, so there's multiple points of failure, but those points of failure are small compared to the iceberg that are the original mechanics.

Getting unavoidable game overs due to a bug is a level of frustration that would make me drop a game and never look back. Even if there are quick/auto saves as a safety net.

So while the mechanics of FFII are busted no matter what version you play, I'd still rather play the PSP version as things are now. Having status effects working as intended and having the original front/back row mechanics would be worth the slower gameplay to me.

Of course, the best case scenario is that this version gets mods to tweak these things. I'll just wait for now.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Started playing through FF9 while waiting for 4 to come out.

We need a 9 pixel remaster. This game is slow as fuck.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
Got the Warmech at like level 58. Managed to knock out my thief because I was autobattling too hard, and had started it before I actually saw it was the Warmech. lol.

Now I just need to figure out how to get into the sliding puzzle.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Part of the reason I liked FFXIV 2.0 so much is that I was a big fan of FF2 back when it was released for the GBA and got nostalgia from how it obviously took a bunch of pointers from FF2.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
Wait you can make Warmech flee?!

Anyway just picked up the whole collection and playing FF1 again. This is such a fun game to play.
Warmech can flee on the first round I believe. The concept is hilarious to me that this big badass superboss can show up and just flees immediately.