• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This "social experiment" was a terrible idea, just proves the trolls right and adds to the toxic environment. I dont know what the endgame was here

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
So basically a player gets called out for being sexist and apologises. A day later a high rank female OW player appears and ends up joining the sexist players team.

Except the account's fake, and was created just to make them look non-sexist by having a woman on their team? I can't wait to see what Blizzard does.

Basically the captain of Second Wind that said that a female player should not be in his 4500+, day later ellie appears online as a rank 4 dps player and few days later joins Second Wind.

6p5p.gif

That was not a good idea. At all.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
What!?!??! Oh my goodness what a freaking mess.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
There is no way Second Wind isn't in on it because there is no way an org can pick up a player with little to no info on their gameplay who didn't even scrim with the team.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
An absolutely bizarre situation, which again furthers the need for people to stop instantly playing the blame game the second news like this breaks, and to wait for clarification first.
So at best it's incompetence, and at worst it's basically a set up to cover themselves.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
This just made being a female OW pro player more difficult than before. Congratulation on the "social experiment".

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope places like Kotaku print a major retraction about all this. This shit is going to cause so much damage this Punisher guy needs the book thrown at him imo. And Second Wind too if they were involved.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
When people appear out of nowhere on the highest ranks of the ladder like that, something is usually up. I'm reminded of a similar situation in StarCraft 2 where the YouTuber AtheneWins hit rank 1 with like 50 games played and an undefeated record, turns out it was the best Protoss player in North America at the time playing on the account.

Oct 26, 2017
LOL, man that would certainly explain why SW didn't try to protect "ellie" from harrassment. They were in on it the whole time.

I'm glad people got to the bottom of this shit, a shame that harrassment came along with the investigation.

Riley

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Anyone with a brain knows girls/women get shit for playing, so why even play at this social experiment bullshit. The conclusion is always the same.

It's either a dumbass prank or PR stunt.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
Nice. Now toxic cunts are going to use this as an example when other women want to become OW pros.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
What were they hoping to achieve? It couldn't have been with good intent going by those quotes from the captain.

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
There is no way Second Wind isn't in on it because there is no way an org can pick up a player with little to no info on their gameplay who didn't even scrim with the team.

Management could be clear if the case was Haku recommended them to the org.

This is what the owner said on reddit when ellie was originally announced.
She can actually flex to quite a few heros. Due to us having to release Coluge recently, we needed someone to fill the hole of having a very flexible hero pool for our sub slot. We checked out ladder, and she fit the bill being rank 4 on ladder, not on a team, flexible, and had played with some players on our team prior giving us some innate synergy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Competitiveoverwatch/comments/a8gk5x/second_wind_announces_ellie/ecbq4r3/

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Worse of all, is that any women that wants to join a team in the future will be hyper-scrutinized.... thanks to the social experiment of some male players. Great fucking job.

rulerk1

Nov 14, 2017
When people appear out of nowhere on the highest ranks of the ladder like that, something is usually up. I'm reminded of a similar situation in StarCraft 2 where the YouTuber AtheneWins hit rank 1 with like 50 games played and an undefeated record, turns out it was the best Protoss player in North America at the time playing on the account.

yeah i definitely thought something was up after the Twitch stream thing but was always reminded of this and the Heartstone thing

shame about this whole thing tho

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
they are gonna get fined or maybe Dqd which would be tragic because SW is on fire this season. they might win it all.

actually I dont think they can even afford any major fine, non academy teams have no money.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
It's always annoying to see cases like this where someone people do something that can affect others.

But any lame that tries to use this incident as a reason for why gaming shouldnt be diverse was already a shitbag from birth

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone with a brain knows girls/women get shit for playing, so why even play at this social experiment bullshit. The conclusion is always the same.

It's either a dumbass prank or PR stunt.
Not only this but it also adds fuel to the fire in a community already stained to the bone by sexism.

Nobody wins anything, it just does further damage to women. I hope there will be repercussions for this.

Suzushiiro

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Did the fuckers who were in on this not realize that there's a very real possibility that Blizzard will permanantly ban them from competitive play in any Blizzard esport (hell, probably casually too) for this?

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
What were they hoping to achieve? It couldn't have been with good intent going by those quotes from the captain.

I am amazed any of them thought it would work, or would accomplish anything. A pro player with questionable provenance is going to be scrutinized.

Way to make the road even harder for others. I hope some solid punishment is handed out for this.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
This just seems like a gigantic fucking mess and literally no good can come from this.

I don't see how Second Wind survives this. What the fuck were they thinking?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Well, this became insane.

Though it obviously doesn't change a large amount of the initial reaction, which was in fact sexist. There were many trolls on Twitter and Reddit claiming the player was fake simply based on the fact that the player claimed to be a woman. And as it looks to have been a terrible reaction to a sexist on Second Wind, the whole thing is just a mess.

People obviously need to be punished for this.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
What an absolute shit show. Way to make it harder (If that is even possible) for a woman to make it as an OW pro. Fuck sake.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
One aspect of esports that is growing is the turning of esports players into something akin to celebrities. This also applies to streamers. And a lot of what celebrities is the prying and harassing eye of the public. Sorta feel like that aspect is starting to appear in esports and so these situations are gonna occur more and more simply out of curiosity.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This "social experiment" just doomed all women in esports. Good going guys. The sexists and misogynists will now feel legitimized and use this moment forever to question if a woman is actually skilled enough to play with men.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Maybe I'm making stuff up, but didn't something similar happen like a decade ago with a CS:S team creating a fake CAL-I team where they all pretended to be inner-city African Americans or something?

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
Next we're going to find out none of the Second Wind players are real they're just bots set on hard difficulty

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
There was a lot of nasty shit said and done, but you can't attribute that to everyone who was suspicious about this. It was obvious something was fishy from the very start, top players don't appear out of thin air

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
This "social experiment" just sounds like they decided to pick up a box of misogynists and shake it as hard as they could.

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This "social experiment" just doomed all women in esports. Good going guys. The sexists and misogynists will now feel legitimized and use this moment forever to question if a woman is actually skilled enough to play with men.
He never wanted to have women play "his game" anyways, so he just got what he wanted.
I hope Blizzard band his ass for eternity

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018

I don't think so tbh. For one, Ellie appeared out of nowhere, and people couldn't conclusively connect her real identity to her gameplay record (i.e no lan gameplay, no videos, etc)

If Ellie was well known, a active streamer, yes there who be harassment but not like this situation where basically unknown shows up to join a top tier T2 team.
In Siege no one aside from trolls questions how the sole woman pro player performs cause, one we have trusted verifications from her teammates, and two we have online and lan footage of her performing.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
This is just the worst. Instead of being the usual horrible toxicity against women in gaming, it's that and the assholes now feel justified in what they did. This team needs to be punished for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.