• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully an alternative comes along. Need the thought leaders to jump ship and the alternative to ban ppl for being bigots.

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm going to go ahead and delete my account and the app. I never used it and have only tweeted like 5 times in the last decade.

Ultryx

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'll never buy a Tesla, will continue to avoid Twitter, and will not use any product from here on out that is attached to him in any way. Also get ready for an aggressive and wild 2024.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
The only good thing about reality is that Trump will die within 20 years. I can't wait for him to stop being around and a threat to the country. Unfortunately though chaos will happen in the meantime. Twitter got huge and now that it's privately owned, right wing has its way to "fight back".

Notice these fucks have so many failed attempts at making their own social media platforms? It's cause no one likes them or their BS. They rather own what's the best to shit on everyone and have "their voice heard". Honestly there should be some ethics committee overseeing right wing lunatics from buying massively used social platforms.

I mean can you believe a world where Hitler was alive and purchased twiiter to push his facisct agenda? Who the fuck would put up with that? Oh I know, 2022 assholes who are into petty red vs blue spit fights.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
The only good thing about reality is that Trump will die within 20 years. I can't wait for him to stop being around and a threat to the country. Unfortunately though chaos will happen in the meantime. Twitter got huge and now that it's privately owned, right wing has its way to "fight back".

If we're lucky. Henry Kissinger is 98.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017

Notice these fucks have so many failed attempts at making their own social media platforms? It's cause no one likes them or their BS. They rather own what's the best to shit on everyone and have "their voice heard". Honestly there should be some ethics committee overseeing right wing lunatics from buying massively used social platforms.

I mean can you believe a world where Hitler was alive and purchased twiiter to push his facisct agenda? Who the fuck would put up with that? Oh I know, 2022 assholes who are into petty red vs blue spit fights.
When Trump dies someone just as bad or even worse will take his place.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017

And people can easily fight back by abandoning the platform. Unless you're tied to it for work, must average users can just delete their account and call it a day. The funny thing is that even if it's tied to your work, if regular users abandon it in the hundreds of millions, you probably wouldn't need to use it for work because you no longer have an audience.

Oct 28, 2017
Musk confirms he's okay with people actively staging a coup on democracy. Which isn't even a surprise. Good work Musk.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017

He hasn't thought about this at all.

Of course, I'm sure he'll be the final arbiter of "bad" and "wrong".

I don't think Musk actually wanted to buy Twitter in the first place. He was probably trying to do a "pump and dump" with his stock price offer but the Twitter board called his bluff. Now he's stuck with it and is just making shit up, trying to act like he has a plan.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
And people can easily fight back by abandoning the platform. Unless you're tied to it for work, must average users can just delete their account and call it a day. The funny thing is that even if it's tied to your work, if regular users abandon it in the hundreds of millions, you probably wouldn't need to use it for work because you no longer have an audience.
I honestly think something like Twitter is so integrated with everything now. I mean everyone uses it even companies or government officials.

I think it would take a tremendous effort for companies to abandon it or anyone really to stop using it. Sure people on the fence can do it but I don't think it will be easy. Many people just don't care. If someone or group can make it happen, more power to them and I hope they can bring it down. Make them lose billions. Still there would need to be a shit ton of effort on that to sway millions to do this.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Twitter is too big and too ubiquitous for people to just abandon it en masse. It's not like Tumblr at all.

A viable alternative does not currently exist. And I find it hard to believe that one will pop up, given that Twitter has already shown itself to be a failed business model.

Oct 25, 2017
No shit. It's obvious he is buying Twitter in order to push republican propaganda. It's why he plans on getting rid of it after the next presidential election.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Ofc he would lol

Anyone peddling hate speech as free speech would reverse the ban on Trump in a heartbeat. Just another reason why Musk is scum.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Twitter is too big and too ubiquitous for people to just abandon it en masse. It's not like Tumblr at all.

A viable alternative does not currently exist. And I find it hard to believe that one will pop up, given that Twitter has already shown itself to be a failed business model.

Imagine this. Cheerios attempts to pump money into Twitter for a marketing campaign, they send a tweet out and the only responses are:

"N****! F*****! N*****!"

When companies back out of Twitter due to no regulation, an alternative will be found. It might take a year or so, but it'll happen. Twitter didn't just start banning people because "LIBZ", it did so because companies pumped money into Twitter to connect with customers. Turning Twitter into 4Chan with a monthly subscription is going to tank that shit.

Oct 25, 2017
I fucking loathe musk. He's such a piece of human garbage. And all the people who suck him off ass tech-Jesus enable his megalomania.

It's zero surprise his ignorant spiteful childish ass would pull this.

Last edited:

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think Musk actually wanted to buy Twitter in the first place. He was probably trying to do a "pump and dump" with his stock price offer but the Twitter board called his bluff. Now he's stuck with it and is just making shit up, trying to act like he has a plan.

I wouldn't be surprised if Trump put him up to it. Probably had a private discussion in discord or something and did a deal where if Elon buys Twitter and gets Trump re-elected then he'll give him lots of private contracts and government money and no regulations. It sounds ridiculous but I believe it.

And I just love it when rich billion are allowed to make arbitrary decisions that favour themselves.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
Is there an actual alternative to Twitter currently? I've heard of mastodon but it seems pretty small right now and I haven't really looked into it.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if Trump put him up to it. Probably had a private discussion in discord or something and did a deal where if Elon buys Twitter and gets Trump re-elected then he'll give him lots of private contracts and government money and no regulations. It sounds ridiculous but I believe it.

And I just love it when rich billion are allowed to make arbitrary decisions that favour themselves.
I think a lot of times these kind of deals don't actually happen. It's only by happenstance because all of these people are nothing but opportunistic. I still believe that Trump didn't want the presidency until he won it and then he just pivoted and took advantage of manipulated everything he could out of it. Same with musk I don't think musk wanted Twitter I think he was using it as a stock dump and a backfired on him because the board took the money.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
A non-sub article:

www.cnbc.com

Elon Musk says he would lift Twitter ban on Donald Trump after deal closes

Trump has said he wouldn't return to the platform if invited back.

So permanent bans should only be for bots and spam accounts.

Racism? Transphobia? Inciting a white supremacist attack?

That's fine.
This is gonna make twitter implode. How do you handle a social media with pretty much no moderation? I dont believe this has any chance of being successful in the long run.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine this. Cheerios attempts to pump money into Twitter for a marketing campaign, they send a tweet out and the only responses are:

"N****! F*****! N*****!"

When companies back out of Twitter due to no regulation, an alternative will be found. It might take a year or so, but it'll happen. Twitter didn't just start banning people because "LIBZ", it did so because companies pumped money into Twitter to connect with customers. Turning Twitter into 4Chan with a monthly subscription is going to tank that shit.
What I'm trying to say is that even if Twitter goes to shit, I don't think many people or companies out there are eager to jump at the opportunity to create a Twitter clone and replicate Twitter's failed business model.

Twitter is essentially a competitor to Facebook, and was created in a different era when social media was the cool and exciting new thing that investors were willing to pour millions of dollars into. The new hotness as far as social media is concerned are photo and video sharing apps in the vein of Instagram, Snapchat, and TikTok.

The only interesting things left to explore in that space of traditional social media from a business perspective are things that fill a particular niche, like LinkedIn (for business/work-place stuff), and Truth Social or Gab (for conservative outrage).

So the way I see it, there are three posible outcomes for what might come along to replace Twitter: a general-audience, poorly-made clone that the vast majority of people will be loathe to migrate to (Mastodon); a leftist analog to Truth Social with a much smaller user-base; or something that's completely different from what people are used to and like about Twitter, but still adopts all of the worst tendencies of Facebook, Instagram and TikTok in terms of optimizing for engagement at any social cost because they would like to actually be profitable.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017

It's really not. When Facebook went down for a day half the world stopped, when Twitter went down everyone shrugged. It's just a social media platform and it's not the only game in town. It's not big or wide reaching enough for it to really matter if it died. It's just Tumblr with more legitimacy.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Can't help but feel we are in this mess because of rich assholes and corporations support the right wing. It's crazy how right wing politics have so much power and traction. The minority is definitely running the world.

Remember when people actually the thought the Republican Party was dead.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Saying the Jack agrees makes me think something is up, if thats the case why is Trump banned

j_rocca42

Oct 25, 2017
PNW
I don't know why anyone here is surprised at all. Didn't trump say he wouldn't come back anyway if he was unbanned?