• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I helped a ronin fend off a Bloody Finger and checked out the nearby cave...

Haw! Good to see you old buddy.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I just beat Godrick and holy fuck I have missed the feeling you get when you beat a tough boss in a Souls game. I have beat plenty of tough bosses in games in the five years since DS3 and none of them gave me this level of satisfaction I'm feeling right now. Not even Sekiro. It really makes me appreciate how special these games are.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
So how do i go down to find the big elevator at the rampart tower in stormveil castle?

I explored the full thing, found almost everything i think, but i can't figure out how to go this low in this castle... The other place where it goes this low i already went, and you go back up with a tall ass ladder, and no elevator in sign

Oct 29, 2017
I gotta find some new weapons. The lordsworn great sword is too slow.

Haven't came across any chest armor either.

Also not feeling horse combat at all. I'm just swinging my sword around like a idiot.
I have been for the last 7~ hours, it's a decent starter weapon, I'm building towards the tree sentinel halberd now

Horse combat is pretty strong, you usually have to antecipate your swing since it has a delay. It's good to stop and cash in some swing too since it stuns enemies.

THE FUUUUUUCK

transporter trap and I'm in............idek. looks like a final game area. not underground
Is it with the red sky?

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
I just beat Godrick and holy fuck I have missed the feeling you get when you beat a tough boss in a Souls game. I have beat plenty of tough bosses in games in the five years since DS3 and none of them gave me this level of satisfaction I'm feeling right now. Not even Sekiro. It really makes me appreciate how special these games are.

My issue with DS3 was that the bosses didn't get really special until like after the halfway point in the game. Elden Ring has amazing bosses fresh from the start. So I can kinda relate to this.

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
General tip for any beginner would be to level vigor/endurance to about 20. It'll help you survive and those stats help any build.

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
i finished stormveil and dind't notice that... can you tell me what did i miss?

The gatekeeper who warns you about the main gate might not be as trustworthy as you first think.

The gatekeeper who warns you about the main gate takes a cut of your runes when you die. You can kill him to recover everything he's stolen. He will also lock you into rooms and other various things I probably haven't noticed.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
My friend only has a base PS4 and I was checking out how it runs on that after playing all day on PC.

Legitimately very impressed, it's an absolutely fine experience. It almost feels like the game was MADE for regular PS4 and then updated (not that well haha) for other platforms. Nice to know that old console owners aren't left in the cold.

Nimbat1003

Nov 14, 2021
Yeah I really didnt have much trouble with Margit though my weapon was +3 I just used jellyfish because she would last the longest and sometime the poison would proc.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
The gatekeeper who warns you about the main gate might not be as trustworthy as you first think.

The gatekeeper who warns you about the main gate takes a cut of your runes when you die. You can kill him to recover everything he's stolen. He will also lock you into rooms and other various things I probably haven't noticed.

holy shit is this true?

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
This Crucible Knight and Misbegotten boss combo was kicking my ass so I left to do a few side quests and now they're gone? Blaidd and the pot dude are just chilling here.

Last edited:

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
My issue with DS3 was that the bosses didn't get really special until like after the halfway point in the game. Elden Ring has amazing bosses fresh from the start. So I can kinda relate to this.
For me it's the opposite, DSIII grabbed me from the start, here besides Margit I think the optional bosses are serviceable at best.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
to be fair most of the souls I lost in Stormveil was because I couldnt get back to them lol >_<

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
I can't play for another week and I've been on media blackout since reveal. How is it compared to initial hopes and dreams?

I'm just in the first area but it's kind of like RPG heaven so far. The kind of game you could just get lost in.

Technically, it's a little bit janky in places though.

For me it has a very differently feeling to traditional Souls games and I dig it.

SanderJK

Oct 31, 2017
I've been killing these Goldrick Knights forever just to get a decent starting armor set. My Wretch only has a pair of gloves.

I've have amassed nearly 18,000 Runes and I'm still on level 1. I refuse to spend my Souls until I have a straight sword to build my Paladin Sword and Board with Heals class, but I need a fricken Sword and Shield to actually start. I'm getting sick of this Wooden Club.
I think you can buy a straight sword of the vendor on the western beach, under the ruin.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
These birds at the castle are my new hated enemies

i-know-the-feel-bro-i-feel-bro.gif

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil

So that's why I'm missing souls when I die? How am I supposed to discover that that NPC is stealing my souls? I mean, he doesn't strike me as trustworthy but between having no idea that could happen and the technical state of the game, I wouldn't have guessed that's why my souls were missing. So if I kill him I can get them all back?

SpoonyGundam

Nov 18, 2018
I'm really happy I just looked up where to find a Zweihander. The Great Axe I was using up to that point was just an absolute piece of shit with no range and no hyper armor and a roll attack too slow to actually punish things safely.
Where can I easily find some more smithing shards? I spent some on early weapons like an idiot and now I'm not sure where to find more :((
I already did that mine with the troll that had a bunch
There's another mine on the southern peninsula, in a valley as you head to the west side of it. The whole area is optional and generally less difficult than Stormveil Castle.
But the optionals and secrets are terribly irregular and drag several problems. I think having to "manufacture" them in bulk to populate the map has resulted in them being quite generic aesthetically (many are enemies you find in the world but somewhat larger or with slight aesthetic changes), infinitely simpler mechanically than the main ones (and most of the secret bosses of DS3 or Bloodborne) and also surprisingly repetitive. I won't go into too much detail but of those 22 optional bosses I've finished with, three have been the same type of animal with different skin and slightly different patterns, two have been the same boss with and without complementary enemies in the combat arena and two others have been the same single and paired boss. And, although this seems less objectionable to me, about three or four could pass for the classic NPC invader and do not seem to me to have the entity of final boss.

It doesn't help that, as a general rule, the arenas, the music or the surrounding lore (or not, some don't even have any related text on weapons or items) are of infinitely worse quality than the main bosses.
I 100% agree with all this. Most of the side dungeons have felt at or below Chalice Dungeon level to me. I've always kind of hated open world games because the content that gets used to fill in their enormous maps is necessarily really weak and repetitive just so it can be reasonably mass-produced, and it was maybe naive of me to hope that From's attempt at an open world game would feel any different. It will probably be much better in future playthroughs at least, where you know where everything is and can just ignore the massive amount of uninteresting content that isn't relevant to your planned build.

Naed1993

Dec 25, 2017
Im playing on a base ps4, I know its outdated hardware but, I swear these load times shouldn't be as long as they are especially when the checkpoints are a few feet away for boss arenas. Combined with how long it takes for the death sequence to finally complete just makes getting back into the game even longer.

I played through Nioh 2 before I jumped to this and it seriously spoiled me on how fast that game get back into the world after you die.

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
So that's why I'm missing souls when I die? How am I supposed to discover that that NPC is stealing my souls? I mean, he doesn't strike me as trustworthy but between having no idea that could happen and the technical state of the game, I wouldn't have guessed that's why my souls were missing. So if I kill him I can get them all back?

I didn't do the math but when I killed him I got about 8000 runes and that seemed to line up with what I lost.

ajido

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 7, 2018
Should I use the remembrance of the grafted after I get it?

Also, where can I get better int gear. Just beat stormveil castle and still in my starting ast set.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Instead of going to that cliffside castle the game wants you to see, I decided to go south. I found that some of the lost graces started pointing me to the south instead of north. They pointed me all the way down to Castle Morne. I just killed the boss at the end and finished the king's questline.

..but the nearby lost graces are still pointing at Castle Mourne. Shouldn't they stop guiding me to an area that I already completed? Did I miss something?

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Jesus...

Siofra River is gorgeous. It's up there with Irithyll of the Boreal Valley in terms of how beautiful it is.

AND HOLY SHIT THERE IS AN ENTIRE OTHER WORLD UNDERGROUND!!! This is why I'm glad I went on media blackout. The reveal as I was heading down on the elevator was incredible.
This is my highlight so far, mired only by the big arrow guys. Loved the boss of this area.

JooJ

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised people are having so much trouble with the first boss. I beat it fairly easily after a few tries with the two dudes summon. I've been playing these games since DS in 2009 but I'm only average and remember the first boss in bloodborne being way harder.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Should I use the remembrance of the grafted after I get it?
If you take it to the Roundtable Hold, there should be an NPC in a room with Two Fingers. You can give it to her to get your pick of two special weapons, but if you explore the world, there's a way to duplicate remembrance so you can get both rewards. Really not worth consuming it imo.

Janus

Oct 18, 2020
Instead of going to that cliffside castle the game wants you to see, I decided to go south. I found that some of the lost graces started pointing me to the south instead of north. They pointed me all the way down to Castle Morne. I just killed the boss at the end and finished the king's questline.

..but the nearby lost graces are still pointing at Castle Mourne. Shouldn't they stop guiding me to an area that I already completed? Did I miss something?

The Lost Graces do seem to continue to point to the same locations, even after clearing the content it was pointing towards. I'd guess that's normal. They are just pointing toward big areas of interest close by.

Urðr

Aug 13, 2020
I've beaten Margit and Godrick on the first try. I'm kinda thinking of limiting myself with summons or something, because otherwise I'm not gonna have my masochist fill. Exploration is amazing, but you end up being way too overpowered.

Status
Not open for further replies.