• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Final predictions for DOOM Eternal?

• 95-99

Votes: 118 6.3%
  • 90-94

Votes: 950 50.9%
  • 85-89

Votes: 697 37.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 83 4.4%
  • 75-79

Votes: 10 0.5%
  • <75

Votes: 10 0.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.mondoxbox.com

Recensione - DOOM Eternal

Dopo il sorprendente reboot del 2016, il leggendario padre del genere FPS ritorna in DOOM Eternal, un seguito che promette di far compiere diversi passi avanti alla sua divertentissima formula ma prendendo anche ispirazione dagli episodi degli anni '90. L'attesa è finita: DOOM Eternal è qui, e...

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Press Start Australia gave it a 10.

Doom Eternal is a bigger and better sequel in practically every way. It has fast and frenetic combat, an unrelenting horde of enemies and some truly epic moments throughout its well-paced campaign. It's everything a sequel should be and easily one of the best shooters I've ever played. Make no mistakes, Doom Eternal is Doom at it's best.

Well Played gave it a 9

If 2016's DOOM was a celebration of primal violence, DOOM Eternal is a day-long parade in its honour. It's faster, more sinister and just meaner than the original in every way, building upon an extremely strong foundation with meaningful gameplay additions that manage to add depth without getting in the way of the core action. It raises the bar in terms of visual fidelity and technical performance and even manages to flesh out some fairly decent lore when it could probably have just rested on its strengths as a DIY demon surgeon simulator. It may have some stiff competition this year, but it's certainly got a fighting chance for 2020's GOTY.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
March is absolutely killing it for reviews.

Four 90+ metacritic games with one of them being a huge 96.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can finally talk about the game, hehe. I loved just about everything, personally. The campaign is longer, more varied, more exciting. The battle formula is vastly improved, and smart additions like the fast travel and the cheat codes make replaying levels and exploration much more fun. The hub is full of excellent callbacks to not just Doom but other id games as well. Why "only" a 9.0 then? Because the game feels somewhat safe in its execution. It teases you with giant mechs, enormous demons, massive lore elements that throw the classics into the mix... but it's all played fairly safely, never moving away from the Doom 2016 formula, it's basically the same game but more varied and polished. And that is fine. But in order to deliver all this, they also lost an Arcade mode, the underappreciated multiplayer and SnapMap, so it's not a 100% full plate. But I'd lie if this wasn't one of the best FPS campaigns I've ever played that simply makes Doom 2016 feel outdated.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Despite sympathizing with the feeling that current Doom can be a bit too self-aware for its own good at times, I feel like the Eurogamer review is a little too overburdened by the sensation of what Doom should be rather than what it's currently embraced itself to be for the better while. It's been clear since 2016 that we're never getting a return to "Doom 1" style Doom, and while that may be worse in its own share of ways, it's also proven to be better in a lot of others.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Our review over at USgamer is unscored, because multiplayer servers went live, but I vastly enjoyed it.

www.usgamer.net

Doom Eternal review - cathartic combat, passable platforming, and stupid swimming

News, reviews and opinions on the biggest video games.

Platforming and a greater story focus messes up the pacing a bit, but it's still great.

With all the weapons and tools at your disposal, and knowledge of your foes' weakness, Doom Eternal can approach that wonderful feeling of flow in combat. I hit certain moments where everything just fell away, and I was just trying to survive a few more seconds. I'd be white-knuckling my mouse, hoping that I could strafe dash away from an Archvile and chainsaw a zombie for some ammo, only to see an Arachnotron spawn in and have to switch to the shotgun. The Doom dance remains. There are not many shooters these days as absolutely frantic as Doom Eternal, and I'm glad id Software didn't ruin it.
HTfqrPZ.png

So how long is the games average lenght?

13 missions, I beat it in 18 hours. You could probably do 12-15.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
"... a campaign that, for all its breaking of Carmack's ancient maxim, has a shot at being one of the best you'll play this year."
While not recommending it and claiming that it's biggest problem is that it's more of the same. More of what lots of people called one of the best FPS campaigns of this gen.

Find the problem.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
While not recommending it and claiming that it's biggest problem is that it's more of the same. More of what lots of people called one of the best FPS campaigns of this gen.

Find the problem.

While also saying it could turn out to be one of the year's best campaigns. Like, I'm sorry you don't agree with this person who has played through it. His opinion is his opinion, he still clearly liked it.

Oct 28, 2017
Any word on replayability? I found it really disappointing in the first game that there was no New Game+ option to play through it all again (on a harder difficulty) with everything I had unlocked. Arcade Mode came later but also wasn't really what I was looking for. I ended up just playing through again on Nightmare, but wanna start on Nightmare this time and have some reason to keep playing even after finishing the campaign. Not sure the multiplayer is what I'm after, either.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
While also saying it could turn out to be one of the year's best campaigns. Like, I'm sorry you don't agree with this person who has played through it. His opinion is his opinion, he still clearly liked it.
It's utterly contradicting to not recommend a game you very clearly enjoyed, but what do I know.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
It's disappointing to see so many reviewers play the PS4 version, as that'll offer a much inferior experience. Bethesda fucked up there.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I can finally talk about the game, hehe. I loved just about everything, personally. The campaign is longer, more varied, more exciting. The battle formula is vastly improved, and smart additions like the fast travel and the cheat codes make replaying levels and exploration much more fun. The hub is full of excellent callbacks to not just Doom but other id games as well. Why "only" a 9.0 then? Because the game feels somewhat safe in its execution. It teases you with giant mechs, enormous demons, massive lore elements that throw the classics into the mix... but it's all played fairly safely, never moving away from the Doom 2016 formula, it's basically the same game but more varied and polished. And that is fine. But in order to deliver all this, they also lost an Arcade mode, the underappreciated multiplayer and SnapMap, so it's not a 100% full plate. But I'd lie if this wasn't one of the best FPS campaigns I've ever played that simply makes Doom 2016 feel outdated.
As someone who never touched the multiplayer or snapmaps this sounds really exciting to me. Do the new mobility options add a lot?

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
It's utterly contradicting to not recommend a game you very clearly enjoyed, but what do I know.

You're right man, even though "Recommended" is an actual rating that Eurogamer employs in place of a score. Maybe they should have only let people who thought Doom 2016 was one of the greatest games of the generation review Eternal, that seems fair.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I've been playing this for 10 hours and I'm probably not even halfway. I'm fully completing every level with all secrets and that takes a while. I do so because the level design is fantastic and finding those secrets is super fun, even if you can find some easier with the map. Fun addition is that you can fast travel in each stage once you're near the end.

Btw I don't think people are ready for how much of a
first person platformer
this is. That took me by surprise, but it's a lot of fun because of the mobility.

Most important: rock solid 60fps at 1080p on highest settings. Playing on a Ryzen5 with a 2070 super. Hasn't dropped below 60 once.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
You're right man, even though "Recommended" is an actual rating that Eurogamer employs in place of a score. Maybe they should have only let people who thought Doom 2016 was one of the greatest games of the generation review Eternal, that seems fair.
That's not what I said, but it still seems pretty weird.