• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
My base PS4 was already struggling by the time the pro hit, the upgrades have felt pretty slick as well and i prefer the design of the box itself so no regrets at all.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
I deeply regret getting a PS4 Pro - that was just a boneheaded move on my part, as I have a PC, so its not as if I'd use it for too many games other than exclusives.

I ended up giving in because my OG PS4's disc drive kept spitting out discs every so often, so I figured if I was gonna replace it anyway, might as well spring for the nicer unit. In hindsight, I shouldve just bought the sweet looking blue PS4 that they did for the PS anniversary, could've saved money and had a nicer looking unit in the AV center.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
So glad I got a pro. Last generation felt excruciatingly long and made the consoles seem worse and worse. Having a pro and a 4k tv gave this gen technical legs all the way to the end — for me at least. Especially since I was able to sell my PS4 for a good price and the upgrade wasn't that expensive.

But I also understand why someone wouldn't feel the need to upgrade. The difference wasn't so dramatic that you couldn't feel fine about sticking with base PS4 on a 1080p tv.

Omniblack

Jul 10, 2020
Nope had an OG xb1 and when my desk set up changed and I got what was practically a free 4K tv the xb1x made perfect sense.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
PS4 was an OK upgrade I suppose. Honestly, I just bought it more for the awesome God of War LE paint job and DS4. I think I'm lucky because my PS4 Pro is pretty freakin' quiet. I don't think I've ever heard it in the 2-300 hours I've used it for. Maybe a handful of times, but I beat TLOU2 and don't remember hearing anything.

Xbox One X, however, was a definite upgrade and offered a few more benefits that appealed to me, specifically the BC X1X enhancements. The killing off of the Kinect port and the fact that the official adapters are super expensive now definitely sucks though. It's pretty quiet, smaller and sleeker and a worthy upgrade over the base Xbox One.

However, since gaming is my #1 hobby and I don't mind pouring money into it, I don't really regret either purchase. If I was just your average Joe? Eh.... yeah I think I would regret it.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I got a PS4 slim very late (bundled with god of war). The only reason i got the normal was because there wasn't any pro in the shop i went to.
Didn't care much.
After the facts and reading about the noise, i am happy i have a PS4 slim.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I regret getting a Pro and not a Slim, that thing is the most annoying piece of hardware I ever had. A console I don't want to play on because of how loud and insufferable it becomes when booted. God of War in that thing is just a bad joke.

I have a Mitsubishi air conditioning system that makes less noise than it even at full speed.

Last edited:

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I was fine with the OG PS4 and the Xbox One S. I play on a 1080p TV so no need for 4K stuff.

Supoman

Oct 28, 2017
I regretted upgrading to PS4 Pro especially because of the god awful fan noise. Never regretted upgrading to Xbox One X though, best console I have ever owned working like a dream and best specs of the bunch.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Nah i got my base ps4 cheap and it works great. I happen to think the graphics are still very good. I would be interezted in a pro to improve vr games, tho.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Pro has been really nice along with a 4K TV. It's great having a performance mode option in games like Borderlands 3 and FFXIV.

Kotze282

Oct 27, 2017
I upgraded to a PS4 Pro mainly because it was the only way to play 64 player matches in BF1 at an acceptable framerate. The added resolution was a very nice improvement as well, and I never regretted my purchase because a lot of games just looked so much better even on my 1080p TV. Only exception being RDR2, which looked significantly worse with super sampling enabled, wonder if they ever fixed that shit.

RickPresk

May 15, 2018
I upgraded to both but did it by trading in, my Pro cost me £50 to upgrade and my 1X was around £30, on the Pro Game had a crazy trade in deal and for the X I had to trade my switch in due to rsi issues when playing it and I had a load of games to trade.

Aug 27, 2018
I still have a base PS4 that I bought close to launch, still works fine for me. I get pretty real "FOMO" from games and stuff but I've never felt that about console upgrades.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Got the Pro when RDR2 came out and it blew me away. Really glad I got it. I sold my base ps4 for decent money and I'm not upgrading until probably when horizon comes out, as cyberpunk will keep me busy and I've got a bit of a backlog. I'd be more tempted to upgrade immediately if I had base console

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I upgraded from OG Xone to S to X and regretted it hard. The S was the best model imo. Consistently silent, super good looking console.

I took the plunge on the Pro when GameStop had a trade in deal so I traded in my Slim and also regret it to this day.

I value smaller, quieter consoles more than bigger ones with better specs.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, was pissed about them releasing the pro not long after I bought the OG PS4, but in the long run and now in the end, I'm glad I stuck with the ps4 base because it ran the games I wanted to play just fine with less resolution.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
I paid all this money for a 4K tv, so no I don't regret investing in the hardware that took advantage of my display wayyyy better than the bottom line. Plus I got to okay Witcher 3 in 60fps, and enjoyed it a hell of soot more that way especially the combat.

Lion

Banned
Jul 7, 2020
I got a pro before red dead 2.i think my thinking was that I was really looking forward to that game, and didn't want any compromises.

Here's the thing though, I don't have a 4k TV so I am really not sure what benefits that I got from the pro. This is apply to all games I play on it.

It only cost about £100 after selling my PS4, as the Pro was second hand, so in that sense I have never felt it wasn't worth it.

I think at the time I bought it I was expecting to get a 4k TV before the ps5 so I get to make better use of the pro. I am now expecting to get a ps5 before our at the same time as a new TV, so this will never happen.

Definitely expecting a ps5 pro at some point, and I will buy that.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Don't regret not upgrading to Pro, at the end of the day I played the exact same games and missed out on no content.

noctix

Oct 27, 2017
I regret getting xbox one x. Its a good console but i was expecting it to last longer then just 3 years. I am now cautious with jumping into next gen. Gonna wait for ps5pro and see how things go

Spamlynguist

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, PS4 Slim was enough for me. DIdn't have a proper 4K television anyway so I saw no point to get that over the Slim.

Knugen

Avenger
Nov 30, 2017
Sweden
I traded my OG Xbox One for the One X and I couldn't have been happier, hopping that I can do the same thing for the Series X in the future.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
My base PS4 never really felt outdated, so no regrets about ignoring the mid gen money grab. Going into next gen also feels a bigger leap that it would probably felt if i owned a mid gen console.

I hate these 3 year hardware upgrades shit. That only gives devs more work and make it harder to optimize the games for the initial hardware. I never bought Control because how poorly optimized it was for the base PS4. Thats a lost sale thanks to mid gen hardware.

Dec 16, 2017
I thought the OG Xbox One was awful and quickly sold it. The XBox One X was an awesome piece of hardware that made games like Control play well on a console and gave a sneak peak of next generation with games like Red Dead in 4K. I wish I could have played the Sony Exclusives on that hardware which makes me even more excited for PS5.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
Upgraded to an Xbox One X at launch. No regrets whatsoever. Even though I have a 1080p TV, it is the best console I have ever owned. The graphics of my favourite game are like night and day. To this day, it's still whisper-quiet. I didn't get a Pro because I don't play on my base PS4 enough to justify the upgrade. At some point, I'll get a PS5 (maybe a Pro, if there is one) for those juicy exclusives.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I got a PS4 1 year after launch as the library of games was non existent for first year. Got pro on release.

Got an xbox s free in 2017.bought an x last summer a few hundred.

Glad I got both, esp the X - games look so good on it

I have had a 4k TV for years

greenbird

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda glad I didn't upgrade, and just stuck with the original PS4 from the start of the generation. After how great TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima turned out on that machine this late in the cycle, it makes me feel more confident in that choice.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
I upgraded to a Pro for better PSVR experiences, no regrets there.
What I do regret is jumping on PSVR day one, I'm now stuck juggling cables every time I want to use it due to Sony releasing a v2 version which supports 4K/HDR and offering no easy or cheap upgrade apart from "buy it again at full price sucker". Really narked off with that approach and leaves me feeling that they really don't give a stuff about consumer's of their products.

Oct 26, 2017
I've been just fine with my base PS4 throughout the generation, I mostly just use it for PS exclusives and those tend to be fairly well optimized anyway.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bought a One X in March or April this year, don't regret it one bit.

It'll fetch me a better return than the base One when I sell it as well.

Nero3000

May 12, 2020
No once i traded in the OG ps4 and selling the pack in games. It was a modest cost for the upgrade (especially to a 1TB drive).

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
Upgraded to Pro immediately and was very happy. The primary bottleneck for me this gen was framerate and the Pro improved pretty much every game across the board in that regard. The crisper image and better graphics was just another upside. Also have a 2tb version so space was rarely an annoyance.

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019
Sometimes I think if the change for the Pro was worth it. I payed about 150€ for a slight improvement in the games (1080 TV) and a lot of fan noise... The extra storage has been nice though.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I regret upgrading to a PS4 Pro. I did a decent trade in deal, but it was ultimately a waste of money. Not much performance gained for the money, and I barely played it.

Ramsiege

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Only thing I regret is how loud the pro gets. I thought my original PS4 was loud but holy shit! My pro is on a whole nother level.

Zuko

Aug 11, 2020
I'm glad I was able to stick out this gen with my OG Xbox VCR. I feel like upgrading to next gen will be such a big increase and I'll be extraordinarily surprised and happy with how much of a leap it is in terms of load times, connectivity, and so on.

PadPoet

Lead Community Manager at Socialpoint
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Barcelona
Bought a base PS4 at launch but had already used one many months before it launched because back then I was working at PlayStation so I knew what I would be getting. Upgraded to the PS4 Pro and I believe it was worth it, even for users with a 1080p (like me) screen TV/monitor they use for gaming.

Got into the MS ecosystem for this generation straight with an Xbox One X and glad I skipped the vanilla Xbox One. It was really underpowered. The Xbox One to One X upgrade path is more worth it value-wise than the PS4 to PS4 Pro IMO.

Nesther

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
Have you ever tried playing PSVR on a base PS4? The upgrade was totally worth it, even for regular games, due to resolution/fps bumps and HDR.