• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
The X is a massive upgrade, for sure. There are enough exclusives and especially 3rd party games that are much better there. Pro was a bit less essential imo, but I'm still glad I did it. The difference between PS4 and Pro is usually 1080p to some sort of fake 4K, which is less of a gain imo. But I paid money for an LG C9 tv, so I might as well get the best image quality I can out of it.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Upgrading to Xbox One X caused me to play my Xbox games a LOT more, and it even pulled me back over to consoles from PC. I don't regret purchasing Xbox One or Xbox One S beforehand, as I still really enjoyed the games I played on those, but there came a point when the compromises made to the base Xbox One versions of games were too much compared to what I'd experience on PC. Not that Xbox One X is necessarily better than what I could get on PC in all cases, but I wanted to play on my TV with fewer compromises without dealing with the quirks of connecting a Windows PC to a TV. Xbox One X allowed me to do that very easily.

Shadowrun

Oct 26, 2017
No regrets. But the One X lived up to the hype and mid-gen upgrade promise; the Pro, not so much.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
The pro for me was worth it, since I got to play exclusive games at their best possible graphics. I started out with a 1080p TV, but then upgraded to a 4K HDR tv, and the difference there was even bigger.

Oct 28, 2017
One X sneaked to being one of my favorite consoles ever. It's so sleek and the upgrades to 360 games are huge.

My PS4 Pro? Eh. Made PSVR better but it wasn't worth it.

Romir

Oct 28, 2017
I regret buying the base Ps4 day one because Bloodborne was the only game I finished before the Pro came out and I switched to it.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I have both the Pro and the X and I don't regret either. The amount of time and money spent on games the console hardware itself is kind of a drop in the bucket.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
For whatever reason I just assumed the Pro played UHD (with all the 4k PR talk) so that was the reason I bought it with my new OLED..... If i had known it didn't have a UHD player not sure if I would have. Good ol' salesman didn't even make sure I knew.

Jay1V

Oct 28, 2017
Naw, traded in my X1 for 200 to get the one x, which I'll be selling for 200 to get the series x.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
I wouldn't say I regret upgrading to One X, but if I step back, spending $400 to get 60 FPS in a few games wasn't really "objectively" worth it. But i really do notice framerate and it makes the games that have it so much more enjoyable to me.

Visual quality is definitely better as well but even less of a factor than the framerate I think. Though of course I haven't done side by side testing or anything, I just replaced my S.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Weirdly, the X got me interested in PC gaming when I realized what a superior experience it is.

The Pro was kind of a half step.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I took advantage of the $100 EB Games upgrade promotion so I don't regret it one bit. I would have probably regretted it had I paid a lot more than that.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't upgrade. I have a PC that is better than the refreshes. I only got the PS4 for a few exclusives and a XB1 S because 99.9% of my friends play there.

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
I only regret not upgrading in the sense that my launch PS4 is on its last legs. I have a OLED TV and can't play TLOU2 on it without it dying about 15 minutes in.

Apr 30, 2019
Nope. 1X is my favorite console ever. Makes Xbox One games like Halo 5 look incredible, and I've spent a ton of time playing enhanced 360 and OG Xbox games.

Rabbit Clock

Oct 25, 2017
I have a good PC so no I don't regret never picking one up. The only reasons I ever considered getting an X was because the Cyberpunk console was pretty... also Skate 3.

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Not regretting getting a Pro and a X. I like to have steady framerate in games, even 30 if its steady is nice, so Im glad.

Blue Mage

Oct 29, 2017
Portland, OR
I don't regret passing on a Pro, though I was sorely tempted here and there. I assumed that the PS5 would augment back-compat games and have held off playing some of the most demanding or problematic big games as a result. My backlog is so eternal that there's always smaller-scale stuff I can enjoy while waiting for the best possible experience with heavyweights like GoW, Control, Witcher 3, etc.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
No I did not regret upgrading. I got PS4 Pro at launch and Xbox One X at launch (Project Scorpio Edition)

While I had the OG PS4 since its launch, I never bought an Xbox One until 2017.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Pro was worth it.

I like the boosts in performance/resolution especially to VR games

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I don't even have 4k and I have no regrets getting a 1x. I knew what I was getting into. Things are essentially shaping up how I had planned. It should easily last me another year and a half and I won't fret over buying games for an outdated console like last generation.

Bigjig

Jun 4, 2018
Don't regret not upgrading. Looking forward to seeing the bump in performance from the base PS4 to PS5.

Phantom_Snake

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
Montana
No regrets, but my PS4 would go into rest mode randomly while playing. Ended up selling it to a friend for $100, I gave him full disclosure.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
No, I upgraded and I enjoyed it. However, I traded in my PS4 OG during a good trade in deal, so ended up paying less than half of the price. I mostly bought it for the PSVR upgrades though.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I love having the extra USB port, not to mention the significant improvement to PSVR games. I gave my launch PS4 to my sister.

The visual enhancements, faux 4K, and other performance perks were great piece-of-mind benefits. Having that for 4 years was nice, and I knew the sooner I adopted the more bang for my buck I'd get.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Mixed feelings. My PS4 Pro is fine--thankfully I got one of the ones that's not loud, and before you ask, no, I have no idea how that worked or if I won some kind of manufacturing lottery. The 4K and HDR stuff is cool, but honestly I'm not sure if I'd really notice if I was playing in 1080p instead sometimes. This is probably because at least some of the games I play don't have significant Pro upgrades, and it's not like I like those games less somehow. On the flipside, it was nice not having to worry about performance at all, at least for first-party games. And third-party games, I could just decide to play on PC instead if it was a problem (hello Prey) and I didn't run into any issues there. So, glad to have it, not totally sure I got my money's worth though.

The Xbox One X was probably a bad idea. I don't think I've played a single game on it since I got it, and my 4K UHD collection is three movies, none of which I've played on it either. At this rate, the next time I DO play a game on it, it'll either be because of Game Pass or backwards compatibility. And while it's nice to have a console for the times a game isn't on Game Pass PC or for when there are One X improvements for a BC game, I definitely don't think I needed to spend the extra money to get all that. On the other hand, I'm not planning to buy an XSX anytime soon, and knowing that the XSS will not get One X enhancements for BC games means this is still a machine worth hanging onto.

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
Both are essential if you have a 4K tv so no regrets obviously.

I would regret it if I didn't upgrade lol

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
I probably would have been fine with a vanilla PS4 this gen if it wasn't for the fact that I own a UHD TV and love the PSVR, which the Pro enhanced.

So, no regrets here.

I love having the extra USB port, not to mention the significant improvement to PSVR games. I gave my launch PS4 to my sister.

The visual enhancements, faux 4K, and other performance perks were great piece-of-mind benefits.

This is very familiar, lol. Only, I traded in the OG and bought my sister a slim a year later (and a PSVR too).

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Bought a base PS4 close to launch. It worked perfectly fine, and still does. Still don't see any feasible reason to warrant upgrading to a Pro (ignoring the PS5 comparison)

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I love my Pro and no regrets there, I did get an X1X as well and while I don't regret it, I don't really use it much outside of the UHD player so it probably wasn't really worth it in the end.

philz

Oct 27, 2017
No regrets really. X1X was definitely a better designed console (with a worse UI) than the PS4P but I probably played games on the PS4P more. Thinking about selling both heading into the next gen and, as of a week ago, ebay prices for both weren't terrible.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I don't really like my PS4 Pro because of how damn loud it is honestly, but at the same time I never had a base PS4.

I bought a One X when I got a 4k TV but it never replaced my launch Xbox One, I still have it hooked up to my old TV. Great system though and I love how well it plays all my games

ViperViking

Jan 15, 2019
Yeah, I regret upgrading to the ps4 pro. Wasted money in the long run. I didn't even really appreciate current-gen 4k that much. I feel like the resolution bump didn't really make games look much better, I was really hoping for more games with the option to run at higher framerates. Like some games had the option for a "performance" vs "resolution" mode or something at first, but I would've loved to see that on LOU2. I would easily sacrifice resolution to play at 60fps, and it honestly felt like a step back going from LOU Remastered at 60 to LOU2 at 30. Can we please get an option for 1440p60, rather than 4k30? Just my 2 cents.

Looks like PS5 is gonna be a lot better on those types of options, so that's positive. But yeah, totally regret PS4 Pro buy.

EDIT: Also, this.

Big regret based on how the Pro sounds.