• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you plan to leave Twitter after the Elon Musk takeover?

• Yes, I'm gone

Votes: 497 15.8%
  • No, I'll stay

Votes: 1,114 35.4%
  • Can't leave because I'm already not there

Votes: 888 28.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 645 20.5%

• Total voters

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I don't even have an account - I only use it when it's required to get updates from sites that only use social media for updates (though they usually use facebook) or when it's embedded in this forum.

I imagine that use will continue to some degree though with as much of the twitter domain blacklisted in uBlock as I can.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Undecided but leaning towards leaving. I'll give it some consideration.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's likely that there will be a "Twitter alternative" or that people would flock to another Twitter, but I think it's more likely that the reason you might use twitter becomes less important as your focus shifts elsewhere, and then you just have less of an interest in it. I can't think of a clone/off shoot of a popular service that actually stayed successful or became more successful, without some hook/features of the new one (Reddit is probably the only one, but even then I think Reddit became way bigger than Digg because of unique features to Reddit).

I quit Facebook back in ~2015 or so, I had quit earlier, came back, used it for a while, but then finally quit for good. And it's not because I found a Facebook alternative, but because Facebook stopped offering value to me, I thought it had a negative influence in my day to day life, and decided I didn't need to be on it and I'd be happier without it. So far that's been 100% true.

The only social media service that I really *enjoy* using is pretty much TikTok, like I actually enjoy using TikTok... I get really funny videos, interesting videos, and the stuff I don't like I can pretty quickly skip. But even just 2 or 3 years ago the thought of me using a Vine-like service would have seemed really unlikely to me... "why would I want to watch teen dance videos or people singing, I hate that shit?" Little did I know that TikTok is full of videos of weird dumb life hacks, animals doing dumb shit, basketball videos, dumb videogame clips, cooking guides, etc, and that I just love vegging out to that content.

There was a time that I used to similarly really enjoy using Twittter, probably like 10 years ago, "watching something with the world" around sports or TV, I really loved that, and it felt really new... "Live Tweeting" something was just such a cool thing and it sounds so dumb to say that now but it was for me, but as twitter juiced the feed to be more algorithmic, less timely, even though I use the reverse chronological setting, that community around shared watch-alongs is mostly gone. I think also I watch/interact with less live content too as streaming has become my de facto way to watch video.

Last edited:

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
can't really decide. deep down i want to but it's how my husband got his name out there for his art and vtuber commissions and i'm not gonna decide whether we let that go. have a mastodon count just in case though. if trump is unbanned i'm out tho

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
I'd love nothing more than to see people leave, but it most likely isn't going to happen. There is no good alternative. Its like whenever Facebook did something shitty and everybody said "That's it, I'm going to Google+!". They made accounts and went right back to FB. Zuckerberg is as evil (if not even more) than Musk and people still use FB in droves.

Mastodon is confusing for non tech related people. Which instance do I join? What's a fediverse? I already see people saying "Don't come to [instance name] if you're new we don't need more people here" which is why that platform will never take off.

Twitter will thrive with or without Musk sadly. People might leave, but they're going to realize that there's no real good alternative and come right back. I hope I'm wrong but that's what history has proven to me.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Most people i follow are most certainly left leaning and if they leave I'll have to reason to keep my account.

machine

Oct 25, 2017
The only time I post on Twitter is when I enter a contest and posting on Twitter gives me extra entries. I could give two fucks about it otherwise.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think it's likely that there will be a "Twitter alternative" or that people would flock to another Twitter, but I think it's more likely that the reason you might use twitter becomes less important as your focus shifts elsewhere, and then you just have less of an interest in it. I can't think of a clone/off shoot of a popular service that actually stayed successful or became more successful, without some hook/features of the new one (Reddit is probably the only one, but even then I think Reddit became way bigger than Digg because of unique features to Reddit).

I quit Facebook back in ~2015 or so, I had quit earlier, came back, used it for a while, but then finally quit for good. And it's not because I found a Facebook alternative, but because Facebook stopped offering value to me, I thought it had a negative influence in my day to day life, and decided I didn't need to be on it and I'd be happier without it. So far that's been 100% true.

The only social media service that I really *enjoy* using is pretty much TikTok, like I actually enjoy using TikTok... I get really funny videos, interesting videos, and the stuff I don't like I can pretty quickly skip. But even just 2 or 3 years ago the thought of me using a Vine-like service would have seemed really unlikely to me... "why would I want to watch teen dance videos or people singing, I hate that shit?" Little did I know that TikTok is full of videos of weird dumb life hacks, animals doing dumb shit, basketball videos, dumb videogame clips, cooking guides, etc, and that I just love vegging out to that content.

There was a time that I used to similarly really enjoy using Twittter, probably like 10 years ago, "watching something with the world" around sports or TV, I really loved that, and it felt really new... "Live Tweeting" something was just such a cool thing and it sounds so dumb to say that now but it was for me, but as twitter juiced the feed to be more algorithmic, less timely, even though I use the reverse chronological setting, that community around shared watch-alongs is mostly gone. I think also I watch/interact with less live content too as streaming has become my de facto way to watch video.
This is probably a fair assessment of where I'm at as well, though I haven't left Facebook.

These products started locking things down because advertisers were unhappy and to mitigate potential legal exposure. Nothing changes on that front in the near term, other than I think Musk may unban some folks and find out the trouble that it causes the business.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Unfortunately it's a fairly necessary aspect for me to connect with people in my field. Unless there's some widespread industry exodus, i don't see it happening.

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
Already did, but I don't think I'd ever even made a single post anyway.

Actually, I think I posted something about Laura Kuenssberg being a horrible piece of shit once, but that's about it.

No loss at all for me.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really use Twitter as social media... it's more of a newsfeed for me, so I doubt that it will affect me that much.

Canyon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Yep, once it's official I'll be deleting my account. It is really just the right time, so I'm not sweating it.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I literally hadn't posted on Twitter for years, but I went ahead and deleted all of my tweets this morning (this tells you how much I actually used the platform to post that I could delete every tweet I ever made one-by-one). However, I may leave my account active just so that the username, which is more tied to real-life, can't be taken by anyone else and used for stuff.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
unknown.png

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
Initially I thought I'd stay, but thinking on this.....nah, I'll leave.

I adore twitter for following artists and creators I admire, and for screaming into the void now and then about FFVII or genshin impact, but I can live without that. My favorite mutual already left so without them, the value it has for me has already taken a nosedive.

And if Trump is reinstated........god help us all.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Wether I like it or not, it's still the best place to get variety of perspectives from sources. In particular what is going on with Ukraine.

So im staying.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I am staying

I don't see any reason for me to leave

I don't look at political stuff or anything like that.

I just follow news about movies, anime and games , same thing I do here and I don't see my experience changing that much if any.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Not the first, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, or even seventh time that a "home" I had on the internet had to be abandoned for new digs. We're all just kinda hermit crabs on here.

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
Hardly use it anyway, but I'll probably stick around to signal boost tweets I like.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
I have an account but I think I've tweeted like 3 times total? None of it worth reading.

So for me there's not really anything to "leave." I only go there when somebody links a tweet.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Undecided but if he runs it like people are fearing he will I'll leave. Twitter is good for finding art and extremely niche communities I like, but moving is nothing new.

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
This is like people saying they were moving to Canada if trump won the election.

It's laughable at this point. Nobody knows how twitter will change yet.

SodaGrump

Aug 2, 2020
Undecided for now. I'm leaning towards leaving, but its going to be tough. Its my primary place for a lot of discourse on my hobbies. If Trump is allowed back on the platform, I'm done.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I'd probably just do what other people I follow/respect do since I'm not really sure (Musk sucks, but so do most of the giant tech corporations, though Musk is kinda unique). I'd like to go to Mastodon if others do.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
Why would I? Unless it becomes so unbelievably toxic that 90% of the people I follow leave, it's still just going to be Twitter.

However, I never actually Tweet, I just have a curated feed of art, funny comments, and a little news.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to depend on if the whole "free speech" thing actually happens. IE, they just stop moderating and let the inevitable wave of neo-nazis and other human waste drive people out.

The4thJeazy

May 14, 2020
I've blocked most of the stuff and people I don't want to see so I hope to stay, but if it becomes a white supremacist haven I'll peace out

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
It is truly wild to see the richest man in the world also be terminally online.

Like fuck me, imagine being worth hundreds of billions and using zero dollars of it to actually help people.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Gonna post my discord account, lock my account, then delete my account by the end of Friday.

Hopefully more people follow so that the chuds can eat themselves dry.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
no lol

i'm not american and i don't let american topics involve me, i don't care, that's literally about it - same way americans don't know or care about anything here

i use twitter as a news feed of various things, i barely interact, so i don't care about whatever meta of twitter is or whatever arguments happen on twitter

twitter already marks far-right twitter accounts and the like with a flag when you browse twitter from germany, france, etc, because they have to. usually they are blocked though, or at least tweets with such content are. so literally nothing changes from my user experience unless they pulls out of many european countries

musk buying twitter has no effect on me whether its him or any other billionaire or investor group

the reality is twitter will still have to abide by eu rules or leave the market. same way musk can't pull his shit at tesla in germany because of german labour protection, etc.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
I just repost my content there through an IFTTT clone. Signed on recently to see how terrible the site has become when not viewed through mastodon UI. also lmao at the spam DM requests piling up.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
It does feel like Twitter has reached a point where it's too big to fail.

But then I remember, in my Auntie Millennial age, that we've seen this before.

I remember when MySpace felt like it would always be around.

I remember when Facebook felt like it would always be socially relevant (now it's just my family address book. Literally the ONLY reason I'm still on it).

I remember when everyone thought Snapchat would be the next titan, and almost was.

Hell, the only reason I'm even on Twitter is it's where my artist friends went after we all left Tumblr.

As embedded as a social platform feels, all it takes is a combination of a few factors. Dissatisfaction, a slate of bazaar and highly publicized decisions, and a waiting alternative.

Other words, yeah, I'm out.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
This is like people saying they were moving to Canada if trump won the election.

It's laughable at this point. Nobody knows how twitter will change yet.
Except deleting an account for an Internet platform doesn't require obtaining citizenship in another country, getting jobs for yourself and potentially your partner, finding a place to live, moving every single belonging you have, and starting a new life in a place you're unfamiliar with.

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
It's necessary for my job and I curate my feed to stuff I like. I'll be bummed if Twitter changes substantially in the near future.

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
I've had my account since 2007 but it would not be hard to delete. I don't necessarily love Twitter, I love the people I follow. Great masses have migrated before….