• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you invert the Y axis?

• YES - UP IS DOWN AND DOWN IS UP

Votes: 803 48.0%
  • NO, UP IS UP AND DOWN IS DOWN

Votes: 855 51.1%
  • I'm a coward and refuse to answer

Votes: 15 0.9%

• Total voters

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Always inverted. ACNH did mess with me for a while, not having the option (which is inexcusable).

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
No.

With the exception of flying games anyway as I'm used to inverted there from Star Fox being the first I played.

lightchris

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
They normally have them as "normal" and "inverted" or invert is an option that is set to no by default

Most modern games have up being up as the default

Ok, so I just started up Rocket League and noticed that I have set it to inverted (up is down). In Tomb Raider however it's set to normal (up is up).

So I guess I'm a bit indifferent to it. Possibly in the "yes for flight control, no for others" camp. I don't think it would be hard for me to switch either way (and it wouldn't surprise me if other folk could do the same given half an hour or a few hours at max. to get accustomed to it).

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Up is not down and down is not up as an inverted Y player.

I am pulling the head/camera/flying vehicle back to look up, and pushing it forward to look down.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Flight controls yes, others no. As god intended.

It breaks my brain just thinking about it like this.
Edit: I see several folks posting that they invert for flying controls but not for anything else. How does that even work? Don't you get confused switching from flying games to other games...?

BTW I'm nearly 40 and inverted forever. I literally cannot play the other way.

42 and I'm the same.

I saw Kill It With Fire appear on Game Pass last year and it sounded funny, so I downloaded it and gave it a shot...until I saw that you couldn't invert the Y axis. Struggled for 30 seconds and then uninstalled it. It is impossible for me to play.

What is the default option in most games?
I ask because I literally can't tell what I'm using without starting up a game. What I know is that I almost never change the default settings.

Xbox 360 did this best.
You could go to the system options and set whether you wanted inverted controls or not.
Then, games would see your preference in the system settings and respect it. You'd never need to bother.
I wish they'd continued doing this on modern Xbox.

Do inverters also invert on mouse + keyboard?

I absolutely do. What's the difference?

I almost don't believe these poll results. This is hilariously close.

I don't really see what's funny or unbelievable about it. Once you get used to something as fundamental as this, it's really hard to play any other way, and we all started under different circumstances and with different games.

Last edited:

elPolloDiablo

Apr 9, 2021
the Netherlands
Ever since I played Tie FIghter I play inverted, the other way just feels weird.
I wanted to try the Anthem beta, never saw an option to invert and promptly uninstalled it

Magnet

Oct 29, 2017
I was once trading off controllers with a friend playing a game. I needed inverted controls and he used normal controls. It was annoying to keep toggling it in the options. So after that, I decided (mostly for fun and as an experiment) to retrain my brain by playing through a game (Dying Light) with normal controls instead. I've never looked back.

I'd also encountered games in the past where there was no option to invert, and they were essentially unplayable for me. So I assume I won't run into that issue anymore now that I've unlearned my inverted ways.

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
To be fair, inverting both x and y makes more sense to me than just y. If you do it that way it's like you've got a thing on the back of the character's head that you move left to make them look right, or up to make them look down. Or just don't invert anything like a normal person ;)

Yeah I'm mostly kidding, my brain can't play cope with normal for both, I need normal X and inverted Y

The real true answer is all games should offer both options

Not offering the player a choice now is unforgivable. It's not even something that requires a lot of dev work to implement

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Z2loQHC.png

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Put in "confused" because are we talking about flight controls?

Also, here's an odd one up until I was in my mid 20's I inverted (due to growing up with flight controls as my first analog input method), changed to non-inverted in my later years.

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Not in a million years. Flight controls are a whole different thing, as the thumbstick is the flight stick in that case.

Games should always have the option though for those people.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Only got flight games with rolling on the x axis. The forward backwards thing doesn't make sense for camera controls where you aren't also inverting the axis.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
yes for TP no for FP and games that don't distinguish this hurt me in many ways

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck at the amount of people choosing inverted!! Am I taking crazy pills??

Up is up is up and down is down is down. Unless you are flying a vehicle.

(these discussions are always hilarious)

valis

Oct 27, 2017
Ventura
I can't play without inverting the Y axis. I'm 43 and grew up gaming with flight sticks on PC and it's forever burned in my muscle memory.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I'm using a joystick, yes, otherwise no. I used to be an inverter in flying games with a controller but at some point my brain switched and I just use up as up. Still have to invert when using a proper stick though.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Inverted for flight/space stuff, otherwise non-inverted.

Shockingly huge numbers for team inverted, I assumed it was more in the range of 10-30%. Maybe people are self-selecting because it's a controversial topic but it's still way more than I expected.

Also I know people are mostly just kidding around, but I always laugh when folks try to "objectively" argue for something that's clearly just personal preference/intuition. Do you also berate people who are left handed or have a goofy stance for skateboarding?

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I would like to send out a heartfelt curse to the developers who still release games without an option to invert. It's stupid and you should feel bad, and you will have to go back and fix it anyway, so just get it right! It's an accessibility issue at this point.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
It breaks my brain just thinking about it like this.
Edit: I see several folks posting that they invert for flying controls but not for anything else. How does that even work? Don't you get confused switching from flying games to other games...?
Flying games are super rare so it's not like it's a frequent change. That's how you control a plane, so it makes sense to use it for that. In any other scenario it is nonsensical though.