• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
While you can see definitely find flights to Europe in the $300 dollar range, LA is regularly $200 out of NY airports. That sub $300 range is possible, but tough to Europ imo. But it can happen! I striked immediately last time I saw those.

LA to NY is one thing, any non-hub destination gets more expensive real quick.

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
I do, haven't had a chance to use it, but will sooner rather then later. Also nice since it is real ID compliant so I won't need a federal ID to fly domestically.

OP
OP
Taki

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I am more likely to drive to California from PA in the next 10 years than fly to Europe simply because of cost and there is a lot to see between here and Cali.

One of my big goals is to do a complete driving circuit of the US and visit every major National Park, Monument, and Historic Site.
Gasoline costs money too. So does the hidden cost of car maintenance.

I recently saw a $70 USD roundtrip ticket from USA-Iceland on Google Flights...

bwahhhhh

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
lower income persons in the US are also more likely to have jobs that give like a week or two of vacation a year, so between having not much money and a tiny amount of vacation time (plus having children for which they may need to save that vacation time if the kids are sick to take care of them), they're less likely to want to spend a lot of money on a plane ticket and use all their vacation on one trip, too.

it's not just a lack of desire, (though there's that too) they're basically trapped into not travelling abroad.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I do. I went to Iceland in September, and I'm hoping to plan another trip later this year.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Yes? Of course?

It seems incredible to me that any US adult would not have a Passport, unless they've had previous legal problems.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
The blue outline is the area of Texas laid over part of Western Europe:

E81PsUg.png

I grant you that Texas is a big chunk of Europe size-wise. However, look at this another way: For the same time it takes to drive the longest length of Texas, in Europe you could drive through like six different countries, six different languages, six different cultures. (If you overlay that Texas shape over Southeastern Europe in the Balkans).

Europe's kind of unique in how compact yet diverse it is. Within a 1-4 hour plane flight on that continent, you have the choice of more than a dozen countries. They're lucky.
People in TX still make it out to other States. Time and distance aren't major prohibiting factors. Many of the people are close to international travel hubs too. 25% of the State lives in Houston, DFW, San Antonio and Austin, and probably a big % more within a few hours of those cities.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I feel like I am more likely to drive to California from PA in the next 10 years than fly to Europe simply because of cost and there is a lot to see between here and Cali.

One of my big goals is to do a complete driving circuit of the US and visit every major National Park, Monument, and Historic Site.
So you'd rather see the 2,000th best historic site in the US than see anything outside of the US. That's the kind of thing I was talking about earlier, about people in the US not wanting to experience other places.

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yep I spent a month traveling across Europe. Planning to go to japan sometimes in the future.

OP
OP
Taki

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People in TX still make it out to other States. Time and distance aren't major prohibiting factors. Many of the people are close to international travel hubs too. 25% of the State lives in Houston, DFW, San Antonio and Austin, and probably a big % more within a few hours of those cities.
What I'm trying to say is that going to a different state in the USA is not comparable to going from one European country to another European country, when it comes to cultural differences.

The USA is still more similar to each other across its states than countries are to each other in Europe.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you'd rather see the 2,000th best historic site in the US than see anything outside of the US. That's the kind of thing I was talking about earlier, about people in the US not wanting to experience other places.
There is a reason why I qualified it with "next 10 years". Its what I'd rather do first. Traveling abroad comes later.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
What I'm trying to say is that going to a different state in the USA is not comparable to going from one European country to another European country, when it comes to cultural differences.

The USA is still more similar to each other across its states than countries are to each other in Europe.
I think we're in agreement? It's like some of us said, a lot of people just don't want to leave the US, even if they have the time and the money.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have one. Used it in 2010 to travel to New York. But I havent used it in 9 years so I have to renew it next year. I have been traveling in Europe a lot and I don't need one for that, it's great ;)

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I do, haven't had a chance to use it, but will sooner rather then later. Also nice since it is real ID compliant so I won't need a federal ID to fly domestically.

It's been a long time since I even flew domestically. You need federal ID to get on a plane? The fuck?

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
On top of this there is a weird hesitation/fear with older Americans about leaving the country. My grandmother would have anxiety attacks about me going to Europe or Asia whenever I went. No matter what I said or explained she wouldn't come around about other places being safe. It's strange.
I've seen that too. I'm more worried about being gunned down in a random shooting in the US than traveling in Europe.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As I understand it, beginning oct 2020 you will need either a federal ID or passport to even fly domestically, think this was a bush era policy.
Federally qualified state id.

Basically NYS, because it is fucking stupid, does not have a driver's license design that meets DHS requirements.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
Yes? Of course?

It seems incredible to me that any US adult would not have a Passport, unless they've had previous legal problems.

...or if they know they're not going to get an opportunity to go overseas anytime soon. As other people have mentioned ITT the combo of low income + a low amount of vacation days can easily kill any dreams of international travel. For people like that there's no point in spending $150 on a passport that they don't think they're going to use.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just reading through this and I see many of you are surprised or even baffled that one wouldn't have a passport?

Understand that to someone like me who was poor as shit as a child and isn't a whole lot better off now, travel is a luxury. It's something I sure would like to do if I magically had who knows how much money to blow, but I don't. I have to focus more on necessities instead, which doesn't include travel to distant lands.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I'm just reading through this and I see many of you are surprised or even baffled that one wouldn't have a passport?

Understand that to someone like me who was poor as shit as a child and isn't a whole lot better off now, travel is a luxury. It's something I sure would like to do if I magically had who knows how much money to blow, but I don't. I have to focus more on necessities instead, which doesn't include travel to distant lands.
There are poor people everywhere though. Unless the US has a higher % of poor people compared to the UK, Europe, Australia, etc.?

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are poor people everywhere though. Unless the US has a higher % of poor people compared to the UK, Europe, Australia, etc.?
Sorry I don't really get what you're saying. I'm saying that as a nearly poor person, I can't afford to travel. I imagine this is the same for a majority of poor people regardless of country. I was just irritated at some of the "surprise" and "bafflement" expressed in some of the prior posts that one wouldn't have a passport.

To me it's akin to being surprised that someone doesn't have a country club membership or a vacation home.

Last edited:

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Getting mine this year.
I don't mean to spam my own thread, but I encourage everyone to go onto Google Flights website, and do an open search for the cheapest tickets out of your closest international airport. Click the button labeled "Explore". Don't pick a specific destination in the destination box, just let the website tell you where the cheapest destinations currently are from your airport of origin.

If you have some degree in flexibility of travel dates, you can find some weirdly low international ticket prices. You might be surprised by what you see.

Thanks for the tip! Paris is almost $500 where I am located. Do you have a particular site for finding lodging?

BeforeU

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
lol hollyshit. not in a million years I would have guessed that less than 50% of American have passport. this is shocking. I thought passport was like essential piece of identification that everyone has it. And being a first world country this is even more shocking. How do you people have no desire to travel? Go, see the world. You are living in a bubble.