• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
It depends what the expectations are.

From just the people locked into 3 year deals plus the Verizon customers, they have a sizable audience that won't quit month to month. They'll no doubt lose subscribers after the free trial but unless the expectations are like sky high because of the initial announcement, they have a year to fix the various problems with the service and get their lineup in order.

The promotion was a good play by Disney and I assume that people who are willing to stick it out and wait for some original scripted programming will be more than happy to bide their time sifting through the vault, especially if they're subscribed to other services and can whet their appetite for other content through them.

I am interested to see how many people opt out of their 3 year deal if it's true they're able to cancel that though. I assumed it was locked in.

Yep exactly. I think this is the reason Netflix will always remain essential. They simply are tapping into genres Disney will never touch.

It's why I see D+ as more of a companion service than a direct competitor to Netflix, Prime et al. It's great to have but if you have it as your only service, the lack of variety would become quite a drawback.

Last edited:

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
I wish they had done an entire episode just on EPCOT. But I don't think modern Disney would really want to delve too deeply into Walt's grand plans that were gutted to build another theme park instead.
I would love if the show is successful enough for them to consider doing deeper dives on some of this stuff. The show is fascinating but this last episode did feel super rushed. Looks like next week is all on Animal Kingdom, which is maybe the least interesting in terms of imagineering

Oct 27, 2017
That's likely why they did the big deals to lock people in. And Disney's still a juggernaut. The other streamers don't have that sort of content either.

It's just really hard to do a direct comparison to something like Netflix because while they're similar in some ways they're also very different in offerings.

And as I've said I probably would have pushed for maybe another live action Star Wars / MCU piece of content in a few months to kind of bridge the gap until things really start hitting, but they're really not in a bad situation without it.

D+ is in its own niche compared to the other streaming services because they don't/won't offer original programming, both scripted and unscripted, that cover the vast array of genres services like Netflix, Prime and soon to be HBO Max and others cover.

In terms of content, the MCU and Star Wars original series coming are great but they still are targeted to a narrow demographic and D+ will have to rely on originals outside of those properties to entice and retain subscribers.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would love if the show is successful enough for them to consider doing deeper dives on some of this stuff. The show is fascinating but this last episode did feel super rushed. Looks like next week is all on Animal Kingdom, which is maybe the least interesting in terms of imagineering
Depends on if they touch on Beastly Kingdom and the unrealized expansion plans.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Watching the third episode of The World According to Jeff Goldblum and it's making me extremely anxious. As someone with a tattoo, the thought of someone who isn't a professional taking the wheel in tatting me is absolutely terrifying. Complete insanity

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Sound of Music episode on encore was good. Probably because they had good singers. I think I prefer episode one

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
Watching the third episode of The World According to Jeff Goldblum and it's making me extremely anxious. As someone with a tattoo, the thought of someone who isn't a professional taking the wheel in tatting me is absolutely terrifying. Complete insanity
You can never do too much research when looking for an artists. I will never understand the mindset of people who walk into a random tattoo shop they've never been too before and walking out with a new tat.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
How is the Imagineering Story presenting the less than savory parts of Disney? Is it a completely positive portrayal of the history of the parks?
Because while I am interested in that stuff, I'm less interested if all of Disney Plus unscripted content is just an advertisement for Disney things.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
How is the Imagineering Story presenting the less than savory parts of Disney? Is it a completely positive portrayal of the history of the parks?
Because while I am interested in that stuff, I'm less interested if all of Disney Plus unscripted content is just an advertisement for Disney things.
Based on the first two episodes it is generally a Disney hagiography and really glosses over much of anything to the contrary. But I still think it's really interesting and worth watching if nothing else for all the really incredible footage they've compiled here.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

I mean, the service itself is a Disney-thing, and ABC has never been shy of tying in their popular sitcoms with trips to Disneyland/World. They integrate their advertising into everything.

As far as history of the park, I highly doubt they will talk about the theme park deaths of employees/guests :p

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I mean, the service itself is a Disney-thing, and ABC has never been shy of tying in their popular sitcoms with trips to Disneyland/World. They integrate their advertising into everything.

As far as history of the park, I highly doubt they will talk about the theme park deaths of employees/guests :p
The sitcom stuff I understand. It just rubs me the wrong way with how positive all of their historical lookbacks are.
There's a way to do it in a way thats not totally sacharine sweet is all I'm saying.

I'll watch it for the footage though

Dec 25, 2018
Anyone have a problem when the video freezes, turns into the small black.box? This keeps happening to ms. It's annoying. Have to go in and out of almost every film I watch.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

If your looking for a deeper look into everything surrounding Disney, including the warts, you won't be getting that.

The rest of the unscripted stuff is not really pushing Disney things

魑魅魍魎

Oct 25, 2017
my friend is letting me borrow his disney plus account which is fair since he uses my netflix...anyways the service is good. I watched "the black hole" a movie i havent seen that movie in a long time.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Everything coming to Disney+ for the rest of November and December:

Also a question: anyone fixed the "error code 83" problem on iOS if they're getting it? Every other device and any browser on my computers work fine, only my iPad is getting this issue, on multiple wifi networks or LTE / cellular. I tried all of the obvious troubleshooting.

I sat waiting for live chat from support for about an hour, left the PC briefly, came back two minutes later to discover they'd disconnected the session because I didn't answer the agent within 1 minute (literally, they waited a minute and asked "Are you still there" while immediately closing the session after typing that question. Even if I was present I wouldn't have had the time to type out a reply).

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017

Just watched episode 3 which is focused on the early Eisner years and it really glosses over anything negative. It barely mentions the faliures of Euro Disneyland. It's interesting and worth a watch if you're interested in the park history but it is made by Disney and made to make the Disney parks look good.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
my friend is letting me borrow his disney plus account which is fair since he uses my netflix...anyways the service is good. I watched "the black hole" a movie i havent seen that movie in a long time.

I watched it too! I had these vague spooky memories of it from my childhood. It's really not too bad, the premise is a good one.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Just watched episode 3 which is focused on the early Eisner years and it really glosses over anything negative. It barely mentions the faliures of Euro Disneyland. It's interesting and worth a watch if you're interested in the park history but it is made by Disney and made to make the Disney parks look good.
Yeah, if you wanna see the negative shit, Defunctland does the job.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Well, that's... dissapointing. Why does it feel like Disney is the only company to pull this BS?

I'll give it a watch though still, thanks for the recommendation.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
Both Goof Troop and Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers are in 16:9 and appear to be remastered. Why bother remastering something if you're gonna crop?

On the plus side, the remaster is quite nice.

Disney: 4:3, please.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disney goes above and beyond, it's blatant. Of course I know that any historical lookbacks is going to leave the real shit out, I'm not stupid. But zero negativity is an ad and it's just difficult for me to stomach at a certain point, I'm sorry.
I see why you would say that, but even if they omit some of the darker moments, I think it's still valuable beyond some advertisement purely to make people feel good about the company. There's a lot of great high quality footage and interviews in this documentary series that people have never seen before. The history behind the parks in general, Walt's vision, and the subsequent changes in management and their vision are all absolutely worth documenting and learning about.

And even though they aren't going to (of course) be super negative about anything in the past, they still, I think, gave a good look at how Card Walker was just completely out of his depth and didn't particularly care about anything except finishing EPCOT and then quickly retiring. I haven't seen episode 3 yet but I wouldn't be surprised if they talk about Eisner's failings as well. Of course they are going to be much more completely positive about the current leadership (Iger) once we get there, but to an extent that phase of the history isn't settled yet since we're still living in it, so it's a bit more alright if they sugar-coat it a bit.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm watching the new Marvel project and am I the only one who thinks the mom is kind of a dick?

"In this family you have to win"
"We didn't want to take any pictures of Adonis because he was blind and we were waiting for him to be cured and look normal"
She at least changed and felt regret about not supporting him early in his life.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
I need to stop using the search feature.

"Oh the Lone Ranger, that's one I've always wanted to watch!"

April 30 2021

Thank you Disney.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Everything coming to Disney+ for the rest of November and December:

Also a question: anyone fixed the "error code 83" problem on iOS if they're getting it? Every other device and any browser on my computers work fine, only my iPad is getting this issue, on multiple wifi networks or LTE / cellular. I tried all of the obvious troubleshooting.

I sat waiting for live chat from support for about an hour, left the PC briefly, came back two minutes later to discover they'd disconnected the session because I didn't answer the agent within 1 minute (literally, they waited a minute and asked "Are you still there" while immediately closing the session after typing that question. Even if I was present I wouldn't have had the time to type out a reply).
That's not everything, that's everything with a placeholder, we know Star vs is coming, so there's probably even more backlog stuff we don't know about

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Whoops missed it, still doubt it's complete though, there's a lot in the backlog they fully own that's not on there yet
Sure but I'm surprised people expect their entire library already to be there. Between licensing, content needing to be set up for streaming and simply just spreading released out so that people don't complain nothing has been added since they started their membership, it seems obvious that they are going to roll out content over time and their vast library will allow them to do so.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Sure but I'm surprised people expect their entire library already to be there. Between licensing, content needing to be set up for streaming and simply just spreading released out so that people don't complain nothing has been added since they started their membership, it seems obvious that they are going to roll out content over time and their vast library will allow them to do so.
Exactly. This is Nintendo drip feeding us games on the Virtual Console on the Wii but not as slow. lol

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
if it wasn't because they are not dropping all episodes at once for the series I would have cancelled, for now they have me by the balls cause of that sweet, sweet Mandalorian show, but there's not much else that interests me or have not seen.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Yeah but some of the stuff I'm waiting for doesn't have those issues like pair of kings which was developed by one of their studios (don't know about motor city though)

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but some of the stuff I'm waiting for doesn't have those issues like pair of kings which was developed by one of their studios (don't know about motor city though)
But that could fall under the third point which is to spread the content out so they can appear to continue to roll out content constantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.