• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Fathom events must be sweating, if Disney gets into the event busines....whoa

olubode

Oct 28, 2017
Let's effing go! I wish Book of Mormon did this, but I think it's too late nowadays. Still, day 0 for me and my daughter!!!

Nov 14, 2017
Broadway shows are always of a time, even more so than movies, books, and television. Part of that is because of the live performances which limit who sees it at all. It creates a culture surrounding it. Well, it feels a little different now that Hamilton the person has gone under a microscope. And it's changed when people reuse the message or misunderstand the play.

It had it's time and it frankly feels pretty old now. But that just my humble opinion which I'll keep to my little old self.
Not all musicals are 'of a time'. I think Hamilton is going to run as long as Cats or Les Mis.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
I'm kind of surprised they are releasing it this soon. The Broadway shows are still booking like crazy on tour especially in the medium-sized markets that haven't been saturated.

Oct 25, 2017
There are plenty of performances from the likes of the Met Opera(https://www.metopera.org/season/in-cinemas/) or UK's National Theatre (http://ntlive.nationaltheatre.org.uk) that does 'live' performances streamed to cinemas, to give more people access to those productions. There really isn't any reason Broadway and West End shows can't do that apart from commercial reasons. I'd wager that a show like Hamilton would still sell out on tour even if it's live in cinemas too.

It's a little complicated, but the gearing up for this type of setup really only makes sense for a place like the Met that does multiple productions of their own in a year. In a Broadway show the production company is separate from the theater that's just renting them the space, which will (if popular enough to warrant a live showing) will be the one production showing at that theater for a year or more. You can rent everything but that is also a big cost for a one off thing.

Oct 25, 2017
Why is it going to take nearly two years?

To protect the hundreds of millions of dollars the various stage versions are making between now and then.

People underestimate the huge amounts of money mega hit musicals make, and why it takes so long to release a video version. Hamilton is going to earn over 3-4 billion dollars in its lifetime. This is actually incredibly early for such a production.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Fuck yes! Just the other day I was trying to find a way I could watch this. I thought they released it years ago and I've been dying to see it. I'll be there day 1.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bloody hell. I know Miranda's been sitting on this for a bit, but I assumed this would be locked away for years.

This is going to do gangbusters.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am so excited.

Selfishly - I'd much rather see a gigantic Busby Berkeley expansion (as they're doing with In the Heights) and sea battles and revolutionary war and cannons and whatnot.

I'm excited that more people will get to see the original musical of course - but the medium of film is better suited to immersive spectacle. I've seen Hamilton twice now at the theater and it's literally a work of genius, the best musical ever made IMO, but if anything the theater setting makes it feel contained and swollen - like it's on the precipice of exploding into real worlds and special effects and so on.

It's amazing to be in that theater, but being there is 80% of the feeling. It won't work as film as well.

Also, they filmed and captured the audio for this years ago and I'm not sure why what's effectively an editing job is going to take two years to make.

edit. Here's me at the Broadway show, with tickets picked up as last minute cancelations which is (usually but not guaranteed and you NEED a printer - digital tix don't work but kinkos or a hotel will hook you up) very easy to do. And look at these seats!!!!!

69Tfuuw.jpg

I imagine the timing has to do with existing Broadway obligations rather than editing requirements.
Agreed regarding the effect of seeing the show live, though. A live action movie could be amazing, maybe it will get both treatments!

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
I'm pretty excited for this. I saw the Chicago production and adored it but seeing the original cast will be a big deal.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Man, when they finally do a big budget film adaptation - it's going to be fantastic. Imagine Yorktown (The World Turned Upside Down) with the actual battles?

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Saw it when it came to DC (and refused to listen to the soundtrack prior), and was absolutely blown away. Can't wait to see it with the original cast.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Very much looking forward to this. Hoping to see it again on stage this year to tide me over. I hope there's a physical release soon after and not just on Disney+.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Never got to see it live, even though it was constantly shown across the street from me these past few years.

Looking forward to experiencing the orginal cast in 4K HDR on an OLED TV with the lights turned off... + Lossless Sound.

It will seem like I was there!.....right? RIGHT?

UnknownSpirit

Oct 25, 2017
I spent 200 bucks a ticket to sit in the last row to see the tour production last august and it was incredible.
I am excited I get to see the original cast do the show on broadway.

Honestly, I am kinda shocked that Disney bid for it. (Honestly thought WB was going to get it with them doing In the Heights) With the multiple F-bombs and a lot of the sexual innuendo in the second act.
But, Disney likes money, and they know they are going to make it all back and then some from this release.

This year is West Side Story, Next year is Hamilton and Avatar.

Disney will be just fine with Star Wars taking a break.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing will beat the live theatre experience but it's awesome to get the full cast together and, if anything, have a recorded piece of history of what will probably go down as the greatest musical of all time.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Figured this would happen sooner rather than later. The fact that the show was such a phenomenon certainly helped.

I'm a little surprised Lin-Manuel didn't go for the full film treatment with more elaborate sets like In The Heights is getting, but he may feel it doesn't work for this kind of show and he's kind of right. The more sparse set design and the spinning disc...thing doesn't really confide itself to a film well.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Man, when they finally do a big budget film adaptation - it's going to be fantastic. Imagine Yorktown (The World Turned Upside Down) with the actual battles?

Again, I'm not sure they ever will. Part of the appeal of the show is the sparse set design. Having people dance around while they're stabbing and shooting British soldiers would just look goofy.

Oct 27, 2017
Out of interest why does it take 18 months to release this? It's already filmed, I presume there aren't going to be special effects etc.

TheMink

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Connecticut
Saw on Saturday as a surprise for my now fiancée for our engagement it's her favorite show. Can't recommend it enough unbelievably fantastic, so this very exciting.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Saw it live on Broadway (albeit after the OG cast had gone). Not a particularly prolific theatergoer (I've seen I think two shows in the past decade?) but it was really great, definitely lived up to the hype. Those tickets cost me almost $2000 though lol and I have no desire to spend any more money on another stage production, so I'll def catch this.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Considering im not fast enough or have enough money to probably ever see the original cast live, I'll take it! I've listened to this music every week since it first came out lol

I just need to stay alive so I can wait for it come out. I thought I'd never be satisfied till I see it in the room where it happened but maybe this would be enough.

... and peggy!

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
Out of interest why does it take 18 months to release this? It's already filmed, I presume there aren't going to be special effects etc.
They're (very smartly) milking this.
The show just ended it's Chicago residency and is touring the country

by next October that tour will probably be played out.

Look for Disney to announce a full theatrical adaptation after the recording finishes theaters

UnknownSpirit

Oct 25, 2017
Disney is going to start teasing this went West Side comes out in december.

I am curious on if Disney gets first adaption rights for a movie "remake" when they show closes eventually.

JSevere

Oct 25, 2017
saw this when it came to my city last Feb and would gladly see it again on the big screen. hope preserving performances and making them accessible to wide audiences like this becomes the norm

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Broadway shows are always of a time, even more so than movies, books, and television. Part of that is because of the live performances which limit who sees it at all. It creates a culture surrounding it. Well, it feels a little different now that Hamilton the person has gone under a microscope. And it's changed when people reuse the message or misunderstand the play.

It had it's time and it frankly feels pretty old now. But that just my humble opinion which I'll keep to my little old self.

You obviously don't know what the term "jump the shark" means.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
This is really cool I wish more musicals had versions like this, since going to the actual shows is not very accessible for most people myself included.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised it's coming so 'soon', and also that they announced it some 20 months early.

I paid a ton to see the traveling show when it first came to LA. I look forward to seeing the original cast rendition on screen.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Really far away for what is essentially an official Broadway bootleg, but Hamilton is one of the GOAT musicals and even 3 years after its "fad", it is still magnificent.