• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
It doesn't even say that "if your dad introduced you to these songs, you grew up with a cool dad"

Yes, I know all of these songs. My dad sure as hell doesn't. Me knowing these songs and my dad's coolness (or rather, lack thereof) are completely unrelated

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know what all these songs are and I'm 31. I guess I did not have a Cool Dad.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My 55+ year old pops still listens to Evanescence while chopping vegetables for dinner.

Hell yeah I have a cool dad.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Wait, how young is her dad? He can't be older than 36 right?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I'm 30 and listened to all of these bands in high (though personally none of it is stuff I would expose my kid too). I'm guessing her dad was a little older than the target demographic at the time.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
My dad introduced me to Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Stevie Wonder, Earth, Wind, & Fire, Funkadelic, Herbie Hancock, Black Sabbath, etc etc. but none of that compares to Trapt.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
It doesn't even say that "if your dad introduced you to these songs, you grew up with a cool dad"

Yes, I know all of these songs. My dad sure as hell doesn't. Me knowing these songs and my dad's coolness (or rather, lack thereof) are completely unrelated

That's it for me too. Also, I only know half these songs.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
My dad listened to Sabbath and Johnny Cash; he wouldn't know what the fuck any of these songs are.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Uuuh, I was in high school when these songs came out, so that has nothing to do with my dad.

That said, my dad is super cool. He's the one that got me to fall in love with comic books. For Christmas one year, I got him a classic issue of Silver Age World's Finest, and he was like "this is the best present I've ever gotten."

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
He cheated on my mother and abused me before mortgaging the house and gambling that away before basically disappearing.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
She doesn't even look that young. nobody's dad was listening to this shit in their youth unless you're like 3 years old the fuck. This is all middle school stuff for me.

maybe her dad was just listening to these hot topic jams at an advanced age or something

sven

Oct 31, 2017
No. My dad thinks that twangy old timey country music is the pinnacle of music.

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
My dad's internet sign-in was midnightoker63 when I was a teenager, so you tell me.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I listened to that era of music but I would never share that with my kid, i sure as hell dont listen to it these days

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Big oof.
Classic 90s punk like this is his jam:

Is that cool? I let you be the judge, Era.

Last edited:

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
My dad was and remains a huge Rolling Stones fan, and Classic Rock's generally been my genre of choice though I've slowly acquired a taste for other things.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I introduced my kid to Biggie, Wu Tang, Tribe Called Quest, etc. I'm a 41 year old white guy with a kid in college.

I definitely remember these songs being Radio Rock in the early 2000s when I was in college but I wouldn't claim it as an influence in my life enough to "introduce" it to my kids.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
That TikTok would probably be more accurate and make me feel less old if it just said "If you know these songs, you grew up with a cool older brother".

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
Her dad has horrendous taste in music. It's like if I raised my child listening to cringey Bright Eyes and Dashboard Confessional music I liked in high school.

My parents are huge Moody Blues, Beatles, and John Denver fans. The most important thing is that they never shit on the music my sisters and I liked. My mom was supportive and bought me Tupac cds even though she thought it was abhorrent.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
My parents rarely listen to anything newer than the 60s.

Although, I occasionally find my dad listening to modern rap, which he plays off as scanning through the channels, but I suspect he really enjoys it. He's a 70 year old white rural Southern guy (although my family is staunchly democrat in a heavily republican county) so it's honestly pretty hilarious.