• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
This is absurd. That's not what blackface is.
You sure about that?
latest

Ashler

Oct 27, 2017
So.. er... is there a way to download the OST from the Deluxe edition to my PC? Or do I have to download/listen to it on my PS5 only?

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Been watching on twitch, visuals are absolutely insane. Mad jealous of everyone that gets to play this soon, enjoy ya'll. Getting major fomo over here :P

Just imagining visuals like this in more open environments :chefskiss

carl_sandland

May 31, 2019
Yes it looks incredible, and is smooth as butter... BUT... man I forgot how much fun it was to play! such a great game and it's been long enough that I've forgotten enough to enjoy it all anew. I'm very interested if anyone has any info about cinematic versus performance mode details. It was kind of hard to put down. You can pretty much stop in a random spot and slow walk the camera and be amazed, it's just beautiful. Where are the reviews ??? ooh i just found the DF hour long article.... Chose royalty and am spamming my wand around it's awesome.

Day One patch was 10Gig here.

Player population (number of messages and ghosts) seems quite high :)

Last edited:

LorentzFactor

Oct 25, 2017
Watching the Giant Bomb crew play and I was really impressed by how it sounds to just obliterate an enemy with soul ray. Makes me want to do a magic build to see how that pillar of hellfire spell is

MeepMerp

Alt Account
May 2, 2020
Why did they absolutely ruin the monster designs? They look straight out of Diablo and it's really jarring.

12eece

Mar 26, 2018
Playing as Royal class and it feels like I'm slightly cheesing it with range magic destroying most things one hit. Picked up a bow and there is use of adaptive triggers which is nice. Loving it so far, looks and sounds so so good.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else hate the new Soul absorption sound? It's so weak.

On board with most everything else!

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here are some pictures of what Maiden in Black looks like btw. I think it's fine.

EmkxgxFW8AA194t

EmkpLs3W4AgxuLR

This looks like someone in real life cosplayed the Maiden in Black.

That means, as happens with other characters, that is a more realistic take against the more stylized look of From games. It happnes with Patches too. And is kind of the same thing that happened with Wanda's face and people complained ad infinitium.

It looks good, is a great model, but it will be forever look off to me, same with Patches and any other NPC rendition.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
is magic still going to be OP with this new version or did Bluepoint make some changes to the classes as far as difficulty?

moonbeam

Nov 11, 2017
For those of you that played the original, does the game explain why the Maiden in Black's eyes are covered in wax?

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
So, as of now, i have Demons Souls PS5 at home. Yet the PS5 is only coming next week. Good job Sony, good job. I do love having games at home where i don't even have the opportunity to play it.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
The way skin, muscle, and fat looks and animates in this is truly above and beyond. Hands down the clearest example of a next gen showcase I've seen so far.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
So, as of now, i have Demons Souls PS5 at home. Yet the PS5 is only coming next week. Good job Sony, good job. I do love having games at home where i don't even have the opportunity to play it.
It's so strange that they decided to release all games/accessories on Nov 12 but the console a week later (in Europe I mean). It would be nice if they allow vendors to start sending the systems earlier next week, but I don't think it will happen.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
every review I've read calls this a PS5 showcase title but can that really be the case if it's not using the full power of the PS5 (meaning ray tracing)?

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Maiden in Black looks fine, I think the only obvious difference I can see is her cape covers more of her chest area in the original compared to the remake version. But maybe it's for easier rigging.

Drigon87

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
For those of you that played the original, does the game explain why the Maiden in Black's eyes are covered in wax?
I don't think it's ever outright stated, but I can surmise that
it was done by the monumentals to keep her in check, since she's supposed to be the strongest demon. Maybe seeing certain things can make her go wild, and that would tie in with all the people in Bloodborne who wear blindfolds, since that game was originally conceived as a sequel to this. All the level up women in Miyazaki's games are deprived of some important part of themselves.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
every review I've read calls this a PS5 showcase title but can that really be the case if it's not using the full power of the PS5 (meaning ray tracing)?
Why does that matter? Except for some tickboxing exercise.
Do you think the average person is going to to say: "This looks next-gen but where's the ray tracing?"

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
First time player here: what a fucking bold move having new players be at half health for a solid 1-2 hours of pretty unforgiving gameplay, not allowing you to retain full health or even level up until you beat the first boss haha.

If I hadn't played essentially every FromSoftware game since I'd have been mighty pissed.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Why does that matter? Except for some tickboxing exercise.
Do you think the average person is going to to say: "This looks next-gen but where's the ray tracing?"

a showcase title implies it's using all the new features of the new hardware...DS sounds amazing but it shouldn't be called a PS5 showcase title

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
a showcase title implies it's using all the new features of the new hardware...DS sounds amazing but it shouldn't be called a PS5 showcase title

Does it? By what definition?

Would you go to an arts showcase and and say "why didn't you use all the colours in your painting?

It makes no sense why the word 'showcase' needs gatekeeping.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The game lighting is all real time meanwhile a lot of other game titles is pre-calculated and considering it's setting, is not like there's a lot of reflective surfaces unlike something like Spiderman, which it would be barely benefit from RT reflections.

The amount of geometric detail with intense use of tesselation, real-time ligthting, particles, shadow casting, etc... makes for a more visually stunning piece of tech to me.

polyrizumu

May 15, 2018
Beat Phalanx, Armour Spider and Tower Knight before packing it in for the night. Having a blast so far, this game is a treat for the eyes

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

Listen if this is what makes or breaks it for you, by all means think that way. I just don't see why you can't understand not everyone feels that way.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
My copy is about to arrive, but my PS5 "pre-order" won't be available until the new year.

Well that sucks too. Did you preorder right after that pricing event back then, or in one of the later waves?

It's so strange that they decided to release all games/accessories on Nov 12 but the console a week later (in Europe I mean). It would be nice if they allow vendors to start sending the systems earlier next week, but I don't think it will happen.

I think they initially planned to launch this week in Europe too. Dunno what made them move it though, if it's launch stock, i don't see that a delay by a week would fix this, and launch stock seems very limited no matter what...

Plax

Nov 23, 2019

Hmm. Not sure about this. I see where you're coming from, but showcase to me just means visually stunning and ahead of the pack. It's definitely that game at the moment.

It will be interesting to see how Ray tracing is implemented as the generation progresses. I'm not sure the best 'looking' games are going to implement it to great effect. But I don't know enough about the tech and cost of using it.

moonbeam

Nov 11, 2017
Been a while so I am not sure but I believe it does.

I don't think it's ever outright stated, but I can surmise that
it was done by the monumentals to keep her in check, since she's supposed to be the strongest demon. Maybe seeing certain things can make her go wild, and that would tie in with all the people in Bloodborne who wear blindfolds, since that game was originally conceived as a sequel to this. All the level up women in Miyazaki's games are deprived of some important part of themselves.

Thanks. Regarding the spoiler, I never really understood that about the other game mentioned either...

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Hmm. Not sure about this. I see where you're coming from, but showcase to me just means visually stunning and ahead of the pack. It's definitely that game at the moment.

It will be interesting to see how Ray tracing is implemented as the generation progresses. I'm not sure the best 'looking' games are going to implement it to great effect. But I don't know enough about the tech and cost of using it.

rumors are that ray tracing might be added later to Demon's Souls...

Raven Prime

Oct 31, 2017
You sure about that?
latest

With that ruff, it does evoke Black Pete imagery. Which is a notorious blackface character. So yeah I can imagine why they chose to alter it, even though I think the original enemy looks way better than what they made of the PS5 version.

I do want to add, that I think the chance is pretty big, this wasn't a consideration at all.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
The game lighting is all real time meanwhile a lot of other game titles is pre-calculated and considering it's setting, is not like there's a lot of reflective surfaces unlike something like Spiderman, which it would be barely benefit from RT reflections.

The amount of geometric detail with intense use of tesselation, real-time ligthting, particles, shadow casting, etc... makes for a more visually stunning piece of tech to me.

In the DF video they mentioned real time global illumination by one of the devs.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
Besides getting 4K resolution, is there any point in playing cinematic mode? Performance mode is identical in visuals just with dynamic 4K, but 60fps.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
This thread exemplifies the drawbacks of being a part of enthusiast culture.

This same dynamic exists in the world of music, and I assume movies, visual art and anything else.