• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
This reminds me of some of the quests in Outer Worlds when I have to walk back and forth across the map on the road just to talk to a few NPCs that keep sending me back and forth. Thank god I can fast travel so I can stare at loading screens for a good chunk of the time I play it.
At least for the thread delivering the parcel you can make your displeasure known. Or just kill everyone.

Oct 28, 2017
Geez, 120+ pages and this thread was made only yesterday. Is this a product of the hype for this game combined with the actual reviews?

LocoRoco

Banned
Feb 22, 2019

200.gif

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I think Kojima messed up by having the first 10 hours be the games worst. That's poor form. Ideally you want to hook people as early as possible, hence certain games start with a bang, whether in terms of gameplay or narrative poignancy. Else people get bored before the game has even hit its stride, case in point two of the GB staff who never even got to hour 10.

The weird thing is Kojima even stated the game starts slow, meaning he was aware of it. He really ought to have improved or changed that.

Becuase he is giving you his vision, he doesn't care if you don't like to start slow or aren't patient. This is a game made exclusively as his author wanted.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
I would want to know the honest opinion of the reviewer on the work, and if that opinion is that it's so bad as to not be able to stand to finish it, especially from a reviewer who undoubtedly covers mediocre works regularly, then it is definitely a review worthy of my attention to see what could cause that reaction.

Also, as to your argument that time is irrelevant, I couldn't disagree more. Time is the most valuable thing in our awareness, and any work wasting it is a testament against it. Games can be way too long for their concept. Same with movies, books, etc. but too a smaller extent. The vast difference in time between what constitutes a long game and a long movie/book/album definitely gives game reviewers much more leeway to not finish them before reviewing. Still, I wouldn't fault a music reviewer for not finishing an album that was causing them mental anguish or a movie that had been boring them to tears in the first hour. I don't want to waste my precious time on this Earth with trash, and that's what I want a review to tell me : would this work wasting my time, did it waste yours?
You're making valid points. I guess the argument is a semantic one, because I'm not against any of these types of expression about a piece of art. I just have a weird hangup about calling that a review, because I would really prefer the opinion on the complete experience, not a part of it when they declare it as a definitive stance. I guess it comes down to transparency, as long as it is clearly expressed how thoroughly the critic has examined what it is they write about it really doesn't matter what you call it.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
That's not a bad question. But it's just as easily flipped around. Why not? If the artistic intent is there and clearly works for some people who either don't view it as that tedious or say they're finding themselves reflecting on it, then who are those who don't respond to it to say it shouldn't be?
Well if you dont view it as tedious then there is no tedium, case closed. But In this thread, "tedium" has been used as if it was a strength, while still maintaining that it is in fact tedious.

I mean, every game can be defended using this type of absolute subjectivity, its the most low hanging fruit out there. We could substitute tedious for bad, and someone could come in and make the same argument, like "Who are you, telling other people what they should want to play? Maybe they like bad games!" Its just stretching the language in a strange way.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
If nothing else, this thread proves that people can form toxic ingroup/outgroup cultures over anything, even a video game they haven't played yet

Oct 25, 2017
I think Kojima messed up by having the first 10 hours be the games worst. That's poor form. Ideally you want to hook people as early as possible, hence certain games start with a bang, whether in terms of gameplay or narrative poignancy. Else people get bored before the game has even hit its stride, case in point two of the GB staff who never even got to hour 10.

The weird thing is Kojima even stated the game starts slow, meaning he was aware of it. He really ought to have improved or changed that.

No, the gb staff who completed DS also had major issues. They really disliked the ending.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Cant believe tedium is now a strength. Do we really need a game for that?
From what I gathered in my research, the traversal is the puzzle/game. As you're moving through the environment it isn't a brain off "auto walk would be nice here" situation.

Recently I started the Supernova difficulty of The Outer Worlds, this mode has some questionable restrictions, but besides that you can't fast travel to anything but your ship, and you can't save outside of the ship. It made me pay so much attention to things I didn't before, and it gave me more respect for the surroundings. I'm always on high alert, and I even get startled a lot by random sounds haha. The simple act of going from point A to B doesn't feel safe, and watching my thirst, hunger, and weapon wear has an effect on my journey.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Becuase he is giving you his vision, he doesn't care if you don't like to start slow or aren't patient. This is a game made exclusively as his author wanted.
I saw Kojima at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn't want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, "Oh, like you're doing now?"
I was taken aback, and all I could say was "Huh?" but he kept cutting me off and going "huh? huh? huh?" and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like "Sir, you need to pay for those first." At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually "to prevent any electrical interference," and then turned around and winked at me. I don't even think that's a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I'm worried what the average gamer will feel about this game.
Next couple weeks going to be real interesting.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Am I the only one who saw the reveal trailer and new it was going to be a divisive mess of a game?

I love that games like it are able to be made.

Cant wait to try it myself. I that Friday and the following Monday and Tuesday off.
Between this game, my birthday, and Disney Plus, it's going to be fun.

As the Human Torch once said "flame on!"