• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Someone tried arguing that the difficulty of reading through anne frank is comparable to the tedium of having to play death stranding but at the end of the day both can prove valuable.

Its literally might be the most embarrassing post made on this forum.

10/10 post imo

this thread wasnt moving until all of us had to do a double take on that post lol

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
God that poster who made the Anne Frank comment, don't know how they'll ever be comfortable showing their face here again. It's the new "We forgive you, King", only a lot more distasteful.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Did you not have to read The Diary of Anne Frank in school? Not exactly an enjoyable book but it is worth reading. So it is possible for someone to want to consume content that is not enjoyable to widen their world view. I'm not saying that this is worth it because I haven't played it but it's within the realm of possibility for video games to get there.
Oh no.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Oh man that Beastcast is brutal. Vinny couldn't even say that he didn't regret spending his time on it.

I bet there are some heated discussions at Sony HQ right about why that MC score isn't a few points higher. MC scores are meaningless and 84 isn't a bad one, but publishers see them as very important from a business perspective, and I bet Sony's expectations were a tad higher.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's a reference to someone saying how DS and the diary of Anne Frank might both be un-enjoyable but still valuable. Hilariously bad post.
Btw that was probably the only one comparison I didn't expect to read when the thread got created.
I can't tell anymore if this is the best or absolute worst thread in ERA's history. It's just insane and weird.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
T20LdUuX93qqKbH9aiNLFUA0ZYKnJW45DA6im8P4VAc.png

Gone Home was a landmark title in gaming.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I knew this was going to be a controversial game. I feel honestly if Kojima has even more time, with a bigger team he might of had even more things in the world for you to do.
oh jeez. so even when his games have issues it's not kojima's fault and it's just the small team and short dev time? this is clearly what he wanted to make, good and bad.

SaitoH

Oct 27, 2017
Personally, I'm pretty happy with this reaction.

I would of loved if it was the best game ever, but it was clear from initial impressions that want going to be . If everyone though it was just average, that would be the worst case scenario.

I may end up hating it , but I'm definitely looking forward to trying it.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
Did you not have to read The Diary of Anne Frank in school? Not exactly an enjoyable book but it is worth reading. So it is possible for someone to want to consume content that is not enjoyable to widen their world view. I'm not saying that this is worth it because I haven't played it but it's within the realm of possibility for video games to get there.
Wow.
My comment on this is that books and video games are completely different medias and this example makes no sense.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The hype was unprecedented, people had already decided that it was their GOTY and it's for the biggest platform (for now). Gears 5's 84 got people discussing like crazy as well and the hype wasn't even close there. If anything I'm surprised that we haven't seen a flood of band, people are quite calm imo. If anything I'm surprised that some scores are so high considering how Giantbomb and IGN talks about it. It's really divisive.
I guess it does make sense that everyones upset, but still the review threads been out for like, less than a day.

It does seem pretty divisive though, yeah. I hope I get into it, but im not missing out on such a unique experience regardless.

Nezacant

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Wtf happened in this thread from the time it took me to run out on my lunch break and grab a sandwich? We got people here going ape shit on each other and Anne Frank memes now. This thread is going to need it's own wiki at this point.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
I see this as a Elite Dangerous on foot. Spent hundreds of hours delivering stuff to buy a bigger ship to deliver more stuff.... And sometimes I destroyed some other ships. So I guess I'll be fine.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Everything tnat was shown from Death Stranding looking boring and uninteresting.

It has a distinctly sterile feel to it.

Thats not because it choose to be different but because I feel it is different not done right.

I dunno why you are responding to me with this. My post isn't even making any qualitative statements about Death Stranding. I haven't played it. I was specifically criticizing the tendency of Kojima fans to create a false dichtonomy, where it's either Death Stranding for intellectuals, or COD for rest of you dummies and there's absolutely nothing in between. Despite the fact that there's nearly endless spectrum of games in between from action games to sims, to visual novels, to games like animal crossing, to heavily story driven rpgs and point and click adventures.

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Wtf happened in this thread from the time it took me to run out on my lunch break and grab a sandwich? We got people here going ape shit on each other and Anne Frank memes now. This thread is going to need it's own wiki at this point.
It has been peak entertainment.

GMT Master

Oct 3, 2019
Even the more favorable reviews read like 8s

This is the worst part of this whole thing.

I don't care if the game is amazing or terrible. Whatever.

The issue is that these high score reviews do not read like high score reviews at all. It honestly just looks like they were scared or hesitant to call out a Kojima game or didn't want to bash game "art" or some other nonsense.

I don't think any of the reviews above 9 or close to 10 read like reviews about a 9 or 10 game. Not even close.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Bingo.

Also,

Going through the impressions from some of the larger VG personalities that aren't reviewing it, the impressions are very different than some sites that have smaller followings.

Not sure if I've seen that before.

Its very interesting to see. Almost all the "big name" reviewers are down on the game in some way.

I saw Kojima at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn't want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, "Oh, like you're doing now?"
I was taken aback, and all I could say was "Huh?" but he kept cutting me off and going "huh? huh? huh?" and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like "Sir, you need to pay for those first." At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually "to prevent any electrical interference," and then turned around and winked at me. I don't even think that's a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
This got me. Sounds like Peak Kojima lol

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Is there something like a Hall of Fame/ Shame for Threads?
If not this might be the right time to create one.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
At this rate this thread is creating a singularity that will condense into a game of its own.

The Diary of Anne Frank, QWOP edition.