• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Najaf

Oct 26, 2017
Houston, TX
So my wife is now "at your court in Skane". My wife's mother is the ruler of Skane. I was not notified she left. I can't figure out how to call her back to my capital. She is not a prisoner. Anyone run into this?

edit: I'm the King of Ireland and wife is the heir to Skane, a county in Denmakr. Not sure what triggered her to go home.

johnsmith

Oct 26, 2017
Is it also a good idea to have very few direct vassals? I don't know if indirect vassals can still join factions.

Indirect Vassals is the next thing I'm going to try to learn, don't have much experience with it yet. But pretty sure making the vassals line up with who holds the dejure higher title when possible does help things. I've seen negative modifiers driving the reaction down when someone wants to control a territory.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
If you click on the vassals tab under your character it'll automatically put your powerful vassals at top. You can also do a search and sort by military strength. That's what I use to see who I need to pay attention to.
I don't think there is one. I usually sort by military strength to find the most powerful ones.

Okay, thanks. Right now my realm is small, but it won't be long until I have an empire, hopefully, and it was an invaluable tool to see who i needed to suck up to.

johnsmith

Oct 26, 2017
So my wife is now "at your court in Skane". My wife's mother is the ruler of Skane. I was not notified she left. I can't figure out how to call her back to my capital. She is not a prisoner. Anyone run into this?

edit: I'm the King of Ireland and wife is the heir to Skane, a county in Denmakr. Not sure what triggered her to go home.

Are you sure your mother in law didn't die and make your wife the ruler? Having your wife be a ruler in another realm makes her leave, but she can be a ruler within your own realm and she sticks around.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
That's intended sadly. You can try and get or push a claim, yours or someone else's, for the entire duchy, but without it you have to take it county by county. It's one of the few things I liked better about EUIV.

I think there's a high level civ tech that lets you push for multiple claims in a single war

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Also does anyone get sad when their lifelong wife dies? Not just because "oh no she had good stats" but sad because they've been with me through all the murders, battles, personal insanity. Maybe it's cause I'm new to the game. I'm sure I'll get over it after the dozens of Queen deaths.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Also does anyone get sad when their lifelong wife dies? Not just because "oh no she had good stats" but sad because they've been with me through all the murders, battles, personal insanity. Maybe it's cause I'm new to the game. I'm sure I'll get over it after the dozens of Queen deaths.

At least until the random event procs that accuses them of adultery

even now I'm not sure my heir is my heir, but he's gonna get all of Ireland AND Scotland, so I'm prepared to overlook it. My wife is busy in her own court anyway. Thankfully me going to war to help her out, even when she lost, boosted her opinion of me to 100 from, like, 4 lmao.

still can't seduce her tho

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a CK noob, continuing on from the tutorial with the Irish Petty King of Munster

Any advice on what I should do next? Unsure on how I can try to take over the other areas of Ireland. Managed to take over 1 but that was part of the tutorial war.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017

Sometimes. Once in a while you actually get a loving marriage and it feels bad when one of them goes. Other times the spouse can't die soon enough.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017

This game has the gift of making very memorable characters in a very dynamic way. I do remember the wives I kept for a long time, that never (to my knowledge) cheated, and were great council members. The ones that actually try to seduce or romance you are great as well. My 3rd Queen Serhilda was like that. Not only was she great in my lifetime, but she well outlived the king and educated many children and grandchildren. When she finally died I def felt a gut punch lol

Last edited:

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a CK noob, continuing on from the tutorial with the Irish Petty King of Munster

Any advice on what I should do next? Unsure on how I can try to take over the other areas of Ireland. Managed to take over 1 but that was part of the tutorial war.

Click around the other counties and asses their troop level. Try and find one close to your boarders that has a lower head-count*. Send your bishop over there to fabricate a claim (one of the 3 buttons to the left of their portrait on the Council screen).

* Watch out for alliances they may call in for help (pick a count that has none). Be careful when going after duchies as they'll raise more troops than you might be able to handle.

After you get the claim click on the county's main dude and declare war on 'em. If you've made any alliances yourself through marriage don't be afraid to call in a favor before you get more counties / larger levies pool.

WIN.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio

Early on you're probably best off using your bishop to fabricate claims on nearby counties that lack powerful alliances. It'll be one of his options under the council tab.

Once you have more than half of the counties in the de jure kingdom (so 7 counties for the kingdom of Ireland) you should likely be able to create the title and claim yourself king, after which a good number of the remaining counties should bend the knee peacefully.

You can also use the Invite Claimants decision to draw people to your court that have claims on other territory. If they have one on someone you can beat in a war then you can invite them to your court and go to war to press their claim, installing them as your vassal afterwards.

If any vikings claim nearby territory and don't have crazy troop numbers you can also declare a holy war of various strength depending on your piety and devotion.

Najaf

Oct 26, 2017
Houston, TX
My brother is in prison for attempting to assassinate me. I keep putting him in the dungeon so I wont get the execute penalty, but the game keeps randomly putting him back in house arrest.

johnsmith

Oct 26, 2017
Any tips on how to get the piety to reform your religion besides pilgrimages and taking the learning tree skills to reduce the cost. I've decided I'm staying pagan so I can destroy the papacy.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Any tips on how to get the piety to reform your religion besides pilgrimages and taking the learning tree skills to reduce the cost. I've decided I'm staying pagan so I can destroy the papacy.

Check your current religion's doctrines, some have other piety gains, either based on traits, which isnt necessarily helpful, or based on actions. I know one gives you piety for hosting feasts.

Also, I have gotten a ton of piety related events with my current character. He had a learning education, started with a good learning skill that is insane now (35), and I've been good friends with all my clergy councilmembers over my reign. I am not sure which of that triggered the events, but I suspect all of them helped a bit.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Click around the other counties and asses their troop level. Try and find one close to your boarders that has a lower head-count*. Send your bishop over there to fabricate a claim (one of the 3 buttons to the left of their portrait on the Council screen).

* Watch out for alliances they may call in for help (pick a count that has none). Be careful when going after duchies as they'll raise more troops than you might be able to handle.

After you get the claim click on the county's main dude and declare war on 'em. If you've made any alliances yourself through marriage don't be afraid to call in a favor before you get more counties / larger levies pool.

WIN.
Early on you're probably best off using your bishop to fabricate claims on nearby counties that lack powerful alliances. It'll be one of his options under the council tab.

Once you have more than half of the counties in the de jure kingdom (so 7 counties for the kingdom of Ireland) you should likely be able to create the title and claim yourself king, after which a good number of the remaining counties should bend the knee peacefully.

You can also use the Invite Claimants decision to draw people to your court that have claims on other territory. If they have one on someone you can beat in a war then you can invite them to your court and go to war to press their claim, installing them as your vassal afterwards.

If any vikings claim nearby territory and don't have crazy troop numbers you can also declare a holy war of various strength depending on your piety and devotion.
Much appreciated, thank you both

tobascodagama

Aug 21, 2020
Also does anyone get sad when their lifelong wife dies?

I started my current run as Duke Nuño II, and his first wife died early somehow, so I married again for a political alliance. But I was also going down the Diplomacy tree that involves strengthening family ties, where you get bonuses for befriending people, so I befriended my new wife. And then I Romanced her as well, because I was trying to get a male heir. This turned her into my Soulmate. They were together for a good 40-50 years before she finally died after being captured by someone I was warring with, and even though I can't remember her damned name now I was kind of sad when the death event popped up. The Duke Nuño II lived a few years longer, but he never remarried.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, how do I see which family member he tried to murder?

Annotation-2020-09-10-011846.png

Turns out it was the elder brother, found out after my first King died

Last edited:

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do you which tiles can be seiged and which can't? I've just been randomly testing each location

Deleted member 34725

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
I have united Ireland and I'm planning on chilling for a bit and actually building some stuff, but my king is 63 and I'm scared of what is going to happen when he dies... titles seem so damn confusing lol.

Gonna watch some tutorials or something before i next unpause.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I've become King of Ireland and the whole isle is under my control. Now I need to create the remaining titles but I need money. What are some ways to increase cash flow?

Najaf

Oct 26, 2017
Houston, TX
The more I play this, the more lost I feel. I've looked for good playthroughs, but have not found one that captures me. The several hours of youtube videos covering titles and beginner guides don't touch on what I'm failing at. I feel like I'm "playing wrong". I took over Ireland and am King. But the Scottish hold three counties on the north of the island which I cannot take. I managed to get an alliance with France, so while on paper the Scots are inferior to me by soldier count, there is no way for me to capitalize on it. I tried to take one county on my island, burned 350 rep to call in allies, France sent 1k troops combined with my 2k, and Scotland slaps me up and down with 4k troops. There is no way to coordinate a defense with the AI, and even though I took the county, Scotland wont agree to peace since they are just chasing my army around trouncing me. I had to surrender as they pushed to my capital. So in mere minutes of gameplay, I wasted 350 rep calling allies and had to pay 370 gold to surrender and took a huge step backwards.

I'm not 'seeing' the way to get titles without just slogging through not fun war mechanics. I feel like you can't rely on AI alliances because there is zero coordination available. So do I just farm gold and hire mercenaries in a decade? I keep feeling like I'm supposed to be doing things if I just let the clock move at 5x speed, but it just feels like there is nothing to do. If my goal is take over the British Isles, I don't see the tools to do it. How do I even get to the point where I can challenge the King of Scottland for his title?

Nov 8, 2017
The game is insisting I have 67 direct vassals, but I then created some more kingdom titles and gavce them away and threw even more vassals under those kings - it still says I have 67 direct vassals. What gives? Why can't I make the number go down?

Edit: Reloading the save then passing a month seemed to fix it. Wierd af.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to take over Wales now that Ireland is unified and I've quelled some civil wars, but now I'm running into an issue where I'll win a war for a county and then be unable to go to war for another one due to the truce from the first war. I've been murdering the current Duke to nullify the truce and then keep pushing, but I feel like I'm missing something. Are you intended to go county by county when pushing into a new kingdom or are there better ways such as getting claims to larger parcels of land?

Last edited:

Najaf

Oct 26, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm trying to take over Wales now that Ireland is unified and I've quelled some civil wars, but now I'm running into an issue where I'll win a war for a county and then be insane to go to war for another one due to the truce from the first war. I've been murdering the current Duke to nullify the truce and then keep pushing, but I feel like I'm missing something. Are you intended to go county by county when pushing into a new kingdom or are there better ways such as getting claims to larger parcels of land?

This is my question. It feels like I'm missing something going after county after county, even at the early parts of the game.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

WIN.

yeah I was going to go war against Connacht, but he was allied with Norway, so I had to wait till someone died.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I'm trying to take over Wales now that Ireland is unified and I've quelled some civil wars, but now I'm running into an issue where I'll win a war for a county and then be insane to go to war for another one due to the truce from the first war. I've been murdering the current Duke to nullify the truce and then keep pushing, but I feel like I'm missing something. Are you intended to go county by county when pushing into a new kingdom or are there better ways such as getting claims to larger parcels of land?

I think it might have more to do with the counties in that area.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I love this game.
So, I am trying to reform religion as a norse. For that I need A LOT of piety, but it's ok, because I can execute people of other religions as human sacrifices and get piety.
So my ruler dies, my heir gets the throne of the empire of scandinavia, people don't respect me at all like they didn't my father really and a revolt is iminent just as I am finishing a war for human sacrifices.
So I do the rounds of giving powerful vassals seats on my council and stuff, they still fucking hate me, so I go: "oh well, nothing I can do now" and sacrifice like 20 people to get the piety.

As it turns out, executing prisioners give you dread.
So my vassals, who hold a lot more army than me, who could easily roflstomp me, see me doing this big bonfire of 20 helpess people and are now all terrified of me and just give up.
So I got my piety (still need more, but hey, there's always more christians to burn) AND quashed the revolt just by people going "if this revolt doesn't work he will just murder me"

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
The more I play this, the more lost I feel. I've looked for good playthroughs, but have not found one that captures me. The several hours of youtube videos covering titles and beginner guides don't touch on what I'm failing at. I feel like I'm "playing wrong". I took over Ireland and am King. But the Scottish hold three counties on the north of the island which I cannot take. I managed to get an alliance with France, so while on paper the Scots are inferior to me by soldier count, there is no way for me to capitalize on it. I tried to take one county on my island, burned 350 rep to call in allies, France sent 1k troops combined with my 2k, and Scotland slaps me up and down with 4k troops. There is no way to coordinate a defense with the AI, and even though I took the county, Scotland wont agree to peace since they are just chasing my army around trouncing me. I had to surrender as they pushed to my capital. So in mere minutes of gameplay, I wasted 350 rep calling allies and had to pay 370 gold to surrender and took a huge step backwards.

I'm not 'seeing' the way to get titles without just slogging through not fun war mechanics. I feel like you can't rely on AI alliances because there is zero coordination available. So do I just farm gold and hire mercenaries in a decade? I keep feeling like I'm supposed to be doing things if I just let the clock move at 5x speed, but it just feels like there is nothing to do. If my goal is take over the British Isles, I don't see the tools to do it. How do I even get to the point where I can challenge the King of Scottland for his title?

The game spans centuries sometimes you just have to wait for your moment. Scotland will hopefully become weak due to civil wars or something and then you can strike. If not look for other opportunities like taking land in Wales for example.

For example, I am playing as a Greek count whose family has been working up in the ranks and power over the years. I declared war to grab some land and out of no where the duke next to me pushes his claim on my home duchy. What should have been a glorious war of conquest ends up fighting enemies on two fronts and 4 years and 1300 gold later I manage to hold my territory, but had to peace out of my war of conquest just to maintain what I had. I eventually prevailed, but even with the peace settlement unless I get a windfall I will probably be spending at least the next 10 to 15 years rebuilding my war chest before I can do anything to expand my realm.

Sometimes the world falls before you and you end up rebuilding the Roman Empire. Other times nothing seems to go right and you spend centuries just clinging on to what you have or worse watch it all slowly melt away. I personally think that is part of the fun, but ymmv.

Slythe

Oct 26, 2017

I'm new to the game too and started in the same place. I focused on fabricating claims of bordering counties, Declaring and winning war, managing internal affairs (powerful vassals etc), repeat. I was able to expand all the way across Ireland (outside of only two counties) by the end of my first kings life , but I definitely had to get creative on a couple and stay patient (Ulster had really strong allies preventing me from attacking for a few decades).

Word of advice: as you attain counties you will gain the ability to create Dutchy titles for those sets that belong to a single Dutchy. Do not craft those titles. You as an individual can only own so many, so they're a pain to handle and deal with once they exist. Just gain all the titles to the Counties and then when you rule all of Ireland's counties you can decide how to proceed. I crafted the Kingdom of Ireland title which has benefits and drawbacks..

Final bit of advice, do not tolerate incompetence on your council out of fear of making a vassal upset. I wasted good years of my first king with incompetent powerful vassal council members that were "owed" a seat. I had a terrible Spymaster that kept getting me screwed over and falsely accusing people. I replaced him with a very good Intrigue caharcter and had the new Spymaster sway the guy I fired and he loved me within a year undoing all the damage lol. If someone sucks, fire them. Get your council filled with all stars.

Slythe

Oct 26, 2017

I was in a similar spot and had a claim to a few southern British counties via a marriage I had arranged years prior with my daughter. I waited for their numbers to be just low enough to strike, and even married off a couple of extra Granddaughters to neighboring dukes in order to give a comfortable lead in terms of army numbers. I did have to specifically monitor the group I planned to attack to get the right opening, would up waiting a few years longer than I planned.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
What is going on in my kingdom

119163522_657652838202405_5952860402582544557_n.png

This is the FOURTH child we found out this guy killed. Two active serial killers at once. One as an in game event, one created by the simulation. Incredible.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Final bit of advice, do not tolerate incompetence on your council out of fear of making a vassal upset. I wasted good years of my first king with incompetent powerful vassal council members that were "owed" a seat. I had a terrible Spymaster that kept getting me screwed over and falsely accusing people. I replaced him with a very good Intrigue caharcter and had the new Spymaster sway the guy I fired and he loved me within a year undoing all the damage lol. If someone sucks, fire them. Get your council filled with all stars.

just make you sure you don't let the bastard get any hooks on you. I went to this dude's feast and drunkenly promised him a favor and next thing you know his 5 stewardship ass was incompetently collecting taxes up and down my kingdom and i couldn't fire him for nearly a decade! Thankfully he also decided to sponsor a civil war a few years down the line and I chucked him in prison for treason

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

If you can't take on Scotland, see if there's some nearby independent Counts you can beat up. If there's not, it's time to start playing the political game. Arrange marriages to try and get claims (or even outright bring territory into your empire), weaken your enemies through intrigue, build up your own territory with the gold you're saving not being at war. There's lots to do to gain advantages besides just slugging it out.
I think there's a way to fabricate Duchy titles? Failing that, you could always try to found a new Faith and then start waging holy wars. Or invite claimants to your court and then press their claims, that's usually faster.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
At least until the random event procs that accuses them of adultery

I always make sure to court them properly after the wedding (or when i take over an heir that is already married). And after i started doing so, i haven't seen the adultery thing pop up again (at least for my wife). And judging by the congenital traits most of my kids inherit, it seems to work (i've secured herculean and beautiful, i'm now going after genius and maybe giant after that).

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I always make sure to court them properly after the wedding (or when i take over an heir that is already married). And after i started doing so, i haven't seen the adultery thing pop up again (at least for my wife). And judging by the congenital traits most of my kids inherit, it seems to work (i've secured herculean and beautiful, i'm now going after genius and maybe giant after that).

They could be incestuous you know ...
Anyway, "what you don't know can't hurt you".

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
They could be incestuous you know ...
Anyway, "what you don't know can't hurt you".

Well, if the kids of my king are in fact fathered by his brother, they still are from the dynasty. I'll gladly take it over random old geezer with shit stats and traits.

Last time i didn't make sure to court my wife, i started to get dwarves kids only. Didn't need to wait for the prompt to know that my powerfull dwarven duke vassal was a bit too close to my wife. The assassination scheme was launched long before i had the prompt show up. :p

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Well, if the kids of my king are in fact fathered by his brother, they still are from the dynasty. I'll gladly take it over random old geezer with shit stats and traits.

Last time i didn't make sure to court my wife, i started to get dwarves kids only. Didn't need to wait for the prompt to know that my powerfull dwarven duke vassal was a bit too close to my wife. The assassination scheme was launched long before i had the prompt show up. :p

Ahahahaha, indeed, shouldn't have walked so close to the ledge of the fortress wall with a missing railing... sad sad accident. Duke Longjohn will be missed :D

In my current play i sadly didn't get to mix with a giantess or giant... some in the dynasty are on the short side, i wish i could bump up the height a notch.

hankenta

Oct 25, 2017
I wish my wife was more supportive of my seduction schemes. She also has a very high intrigue stat and should understand I do it for political reasons and not because I enjoy it.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
Im planning on making a new Christian faith but with the amount of tenets I want to change it's gonna cost like ~5000 piety.

Any good tips on stacking up enough piety to do this beyond just having a learning education?

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
Played over 1k hours in CK2 but I can't seem to get a proper save going in CK3, can ya'll launch some characters at me to try? I'll play anything really.
I am having fun playing a Norse chieftain trying to unite the northern lands. With the free CB's you can conquer a lot pretty fast. Harald Fairhair in Viken starts with great stats and a pretty good realm as well.