• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
I've heard nothing but good things despite only learning about CrossCode a little after launch, so I'll be keeping an eye on this port!

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
I remember watching a stream of this and the lead art director came on the stream and started talking about the development. It was in devlopment for a very long time and how much of a labor of love it was (but also how difficult it was). It shows in the final product.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Can I just say I'm glad this game is picking up some steam. I kept talking about it back during its Indiegogo campaign on GAF and it seemed like hardly anyone cared. It took some time, but I think word of mouth is finally spreading :)

Oct 25, 2017
I got this on Steam since Early Access but have yet to start it.

Glad it's coming to Switch, though, so I may double dip and play it on that.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I drew this almost a year ago! It was great finally playing it (which reaffirmed the drawing of fan art haha)
I pursued a lot more 2D indie action games for the rest of 2018

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Yo that in browser demo is a great idea, sold me on the game but I'm gonna wait for the Switch version because is the perfect Switch game omg.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Trying out the demo in the browser, loving it. Music, UI, mechanics all hit the right spots, and the 8bit style and illustrations look greeeeat. I'll be preordering yassss

This feels very much like a deluxe SNES game with a modern spin

OP
OP
The_Ultima

The_Ultima

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Germany
I found the trailer a bit hard to follow visually but I was interested nonetheless. Thanks for sharing that second video, OP, which cranked my interest up a few notches. This game looks great.

Gladly. It really is a great game and I have been following the developer basically since his RPG-Maker days so I am kinda biased lol

Watched 20 seconds of the second video in OP and I was sold completely. Looks smooth as heck.

That´s absolutely one way to describe why CrossCode is really good - it´s incredibly smooth and it´s "game-feel" is superb. You know a videogame does it´s job when you control your character by pure intuition.

This game is made in HTML5? Say whaat

Yes, it´s been developed entirely in HTML5 and the developers like it and will likely continue to use it.

I mean, what do you call this?

31dc2a2d-f362-4d61-bnwj7g.jpeg

Grasping at straws, that´s what your post is called. CrossCode has ZERO fanservice. Don´t a lot of people here on ERA complain about female representation? CrossCode has a playable heroine and wastes no time on unnecessary sexualization because it focuses on the GAME-aspect.

Can I just say I'm glad this game is picking up some steam. I kept talking about it back during its Indiegogo campaign on GAF and it seemed like hardly anyone cared. It took some time, but I think word of mouth is finally spreading :)

I´m really glad for Lachsen and his team too. A good game will get the recognition it deserves, sooner or later. See Hollow Knight.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Did they say anything about the PS4 port? They didn't really comment on that since the announcement that it would be playable at last year's PAX (so, almost a year ago), did they? Is it still happening? And did they ever actually end up showing a playable PS4 build?

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
Double the posts in 2 days than the OT got in 4 months lol.

I hope any engine optimizations the devs have managed for this version (and they better have) trickle down to pc as well.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
This game really leans into the Chrono Trigger aesthetic, huh. There's something interesting about all these games built in the style of Squaresoft SNES RPGs.

It makes sense that we end up when so many teens grow up with emulators and ROMs and sprite rip communities. Cosmic Star Heroine has the same sort of look. It's pretty great for people to find a market for these types of game again.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Right? Almost all of the tracks sound like they could be straight out of an SNES or PS1 era RPG, but better quality.

This game really leans into the Chrono Trigger aesthetic, huh. There's something interesting about all these games built in the style of Squaresoft SNES RPGs.

It makes sense that we end up when so many teens grow up with emulators and ROMs and sprite rip communities. Cosmic Star Heroine has the same sort of look. It's pretty great for people to find a market for these types of game again.

Honestly, I don't find the aesthetic is that Chrono Trigger-y. And I don't think that was the intention of the developers either, because they're German, and the game never came out officially in Germany until fairly recently.
The game heavily borrows visual cues from Secret of Mana and the Quintet games - and there Terranigma first and foremost (they even straight up lifted the level up animation from Terranigma as an homage :p). I think that's also where the ARPG + platforming element originated from.
And even despite wearing the inspiration on its sleeve, CrossCode still has a LOT of original, unique flair to its visuals, both in the character and environment designs.

Clown_im_OP

Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit, I've never heard of this game and I'm immediately in love.
This seems like an obivous future Limited Run Games release, right?

Pipyakas

Jul 20, 2018
Yes, this is Hollow Knight of 2018 (well maybe later because it was getting acclaim during Early Access). I hope it becomes as popular
the puzzle dungeons threw me off hard, imo it's much harder to push through rather than Hollow Knight. Everything else was a real treat just as HK though, and it have great narative+writing to boot

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Got it on steam a couple of years ago and played some of it. Switch came out and i said to myself "rather play this on switch" was worth the wait. More games for me to rebuy on Switch.

Oct 25, 2017
For people worried about puzzles, or how fast it seems to be, or how accurate you need to be without a mouse, some time ago they update the game with assist/difficulty options to deal with all that:
options-assist-600x338.png

CrossCode is a game designed with challenge in mind for both combat and puzzles. However, not all players appreciate this higher difficulty and for some the game becomes downright inaccessible because of it.

That's why version 1.0.1 introduces the Assist Mode that allows you to tweak the difficulty of the game in a detailed manner. If combat is too fast and enemies too hard hitting for you, you can downscale attack frequency and received damage respectively. And if the timed puzzled are too annoying for you to solve, you can downscale the speed / increase the duration of puzzle elements to simplify the execution.

Yes, the support and level of polish/content is amazing.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, what do you call this?

31dc2a2d-f362-4d61-bnwj7g.jpeg

Ouch, is your arm okay after that reach? A non-sexualized split second shot of spats (that may as well be just the color black and nothing else) constitutes as "pervy fan service." That's a real prudish take if I've ever saw one. To the point where I'd think someone was trolling.

Seriously, did you see that camera was swirling around and instantly tried to look at her ass? That's the only real way I can see that this jumped out at you.

OP
OP
The_Ultima

The_Ultima

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Germany
The trailer really makes this look like Explosions an Numbers: The Game.

Yes, the trailer makes the game look a bit too flashy. Take a look at the second video in the OP if you wish to get a nice run-down. It shows that this is an ARPG with high polish first and foremost.

Seriously, did you see that camera was swirling around and instantly tried to look at her ***? That's the only real way I can see that this jumped out at you.

lol Absolutely, especially since that cut is less than a second long and only there as a transition to the title screen.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I seriously don't understand why they thought that Nindies trailer was good lmao. It's like, supers and fast/flashy attacks from enemies and is really hard to follow because of the short cuts, not at all reflective of the brunt of the game.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Did they say anything about the PS4 port? They didn't really comment on that since the announcement that it would be playable at last year's PAX (so, almost a year ago), did they? Is it still happening?
I believe it's still scheduled for 2019, but they want to focus on the Switch version first because that's where the hedgehags have been clamoring for it.

And I recommend the browser demo (see OP) for people sitting on the fence. I've played it for 20 minutes so far and find it intriguing enough to go further...

Oct 27, 2017
Ouch, is your arm okay after that reach? A non-sexualized split second shot of spats (that may as well be just the color black and nothing else) constitutes as "pervy fan service." That's a real prudish take if I've ever saw one. To the point where I'd think someone was trolling.

Seriously, did you see that camera was swirling around and instantly tried to look at her ass? That's the only real way I can see that this jumped out at you.

I watched the video again and oh my fucking god to pick out that still. I didn't notice it at all the first time because it's a whole load of nothing.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Bought the PC version after the flying hedgehag post, but this isn't exactly the type of game I usually play at home so it looks like I'm double dipping.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I think I might try to finally just play the game on PC. Don't remember why I bought it and never started but I don't know if I can wait for Switch. Helps that it's freaking cold right now so new stuff to do inside is welcome.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Played the Steam demo for a bit but KB+Mouse is awful and it seems to be a very chatty RPG (as usual). I don't have time for this anymore. The combat and puzzles had potential though.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
The trailer really makes this look like Explosions an Numbers: The Game.
If the numbers put you off, you should know that there is an extremely extensive UI customization option menu that puts most AAA option menus to shame.
Played the Steam demo for a bit but KB+Mouse is awful and it seems to be a very chatty RPG (as usual). I don't have time for this anymore. The combat and puzzles had potential though.
I preferred KB+Mouse but the game has fantastic controller support. My friend played with a controller and loved it.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How are the controller controls vs keyboard/mouse?

I played through and completed the entirety of the game on controller and never felt like I was at a disadvantage. The game was designed with controller in mind, KBM makes certain things like aiming ranged attacks and such a bit easier, but it's not like you are fucked if you play on pad.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I played through and completed the entirety of the game on controller and never felt like I was at a disadvantage. The game was designed with controller in mind, KBM makes certain things like aiming ranged attacks and such a bit easier, but it's not like you are fucked if you play on pad.
Thanks!

Yeah, I found out that there was a demo on steam because of that thread so I just played through it using the controller and really enjoyed it!

Will definitely pick up the game at some point either on PC or Switch.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I have backed this game back then and can confidently say that this is one of the very best Indie-titles you´ll ever play.
It combines SNES-era graphics, a fast-paced combat system, a really clever story that takes place in a fictional MMO and Zelda-like dungeons with puzzle elements from Golden Sun - but what makes this game stand out is the sheer amount of polish in every area that rivals high-budget titles.

It is also a perfect fit for the Nintendo Switch

Try out the demo via your Browser!

For anyone curious about the flying hedgehags bit: http://www.radicalfishgames.com/?p=6581

Wait so... is it coming to switch or not???

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
Terrific news! Hopefully there will be a physical release, but either way I'm in for the Switch.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Wow, I did not expect this. After the developer said it was basically impossible, I figured that was that. Very happy to hear that's not the case. Even more so when I haven't bought it yet, but enjoyed the demo!