• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Out_Of_Ammo

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Is the online on switch dead already? It takes ages to find a game, and when I do, it's rarely a full room. I've had to play several games with only one other person joining...

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I've raced on it a few times, but there is definitely some kind of percentage system in place for the track selection which is very annoying. Turbo Track, Coco Park, Dingo Canyon, Tiny Arena, Clockwork Wumpa, Deep Sea Driving, Hyper Spaceway and Inferno Island are so common that I can see 2 out of the 3 show up multiple times in a row. Meanwhile Barin Ruins, Polar Pass, Blizzard Bluff, Slide Coliseum and Mystery Caves are all very rare and virtually never show up.

I actually get Barin Ruins and Polar Pass alot. Annoyingly Slide Colloseum pops up more often than I'd like as well.
I think it's just a bunch of randomness with some confirmation bias sprinkled in.

Does this game include all the tracks from Nitro Kart?

Yes. They are reworked without the gravity bits though.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Is the online on switch dead already? It takes ages to find a game, and when I do, it's rarely a full room. I've had to play several games with only one other person joining...
Matchmaking is region based so if you're doing it at an odd time that could be the problem, in particular I don't think the UK gets matched with Europeans unless you join a friend who is in Europe (at least from a bunch of test I did online yesterday that seemed to be the case).
Does this game include all the tracks from Nitro Kart?
Yep, although a few have been modified due to the lack of anti-gravity in this game.

I actually get Barin Ruins and Polar Pass alot. Annoyingly Slide Colloseum pops up more often than I'd like as well.
I think it's just a bunch of randomness with some confirmation bias sprinkled in.
Then I'm super jealous, Barin Ruins and Polar Pass have shown up once for me and the former didn't even get picked by the lobby since they wanted Hyper Spaceway for the third damn time in a row...

CreeperBlocks

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Matchmaking is region based so if you're doing it at an odd time that could be the problem, in particular I don't think the UK gets matched with Europeans unless you join a friend who is in Europe (at least from a bunch of test I did online yesterday that seemed to be the case).

Yep, although a few have been modified due to the lack of anti-gravity in this game.

Then I'm super jealous, Barin Ruins and Polar Pass have shown up once for me and the former didn't even get picked by the lobby since they wanted Hyper Spaceway for the first damn time in a row...

Nooooooooooo I actually liked the Anti Gravity stuff in Nitro Kart

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Now done recompleting the N Trophy time trials but this time I finished the Oxide time trials as well. Made sure to back up my save regularly. File got corrupted for unlocking N Trophy a second time. Unlocking N Trophy seems buggy on PS4.
HJNUyFr.jpg

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
PSA folks, don't do Retro Stadium on PS4. You will lose your save data if you do this after clocking a time in all of the other tracks.

Basically, you can't set 32 times because the game only tracks 31. So it's best to skip retro stadium, as this one isn't required for the Oxide trophy.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
PSA folks, don't do Retro Stadium on PS4. You will lose your save data if you do this after clocking a time in all of the other tracks.

Basically, you can't set 32 times because the game only tracks 31. So it's best to skip retro stadium, as this one isn't required for the Oxide trophy.

Hopefully this gets fixed by the GP. I'd hate not to be able to do time trials on Twilight Tour.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Why is the save file corrupting when the game crashes anyway? Why is the game only keeping one instance of your save file? It's archaic. It doesn't make sense that we have to be worried about losing our progress like this.

Jonathan Blow wrote an article about this before, and how it doesn't make sense to offer a save icon, and force the burden of 'not resetting the console' at the wrong time onto the user. Why don't games keep two copies of the save data at all times?

http://the-witness.net/news/2012/07/thoughts-on-consoles-and-certification-processes/

Why is this DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR CONSOLE warning there? It's because if the game is saving a save file, overwriting an old one, and you turn off in the middle, you might corrupt the saved game. Well, guess what... the solution to this is to IMPLEMENT A MORE ROBUST SAVE SYSTEM. You save the new file next to the old file, flush the I/O, and only delete the old file once the integrity of the new one has been verified (or just don't remove it, and keep two copies of the save at all times).

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017

That's weird. I did it last, and my save seems fine so far?

Oct 27, 2017
Finally completed all of the Oxide Trials.
MkH5PJP.png
Dragon's Mine was definitely the toughest. I got really unlucky at the end of the first lap dropping Sacred Fire because I missed the jump and the boost you get from that, and at the very end I inched my way across the line in time (https://youtu.be/jn7CYqFh6b8).

Overall I think the hardest ones were:
1. Dragon Mines.
2. Sewer Speedway (I actually had to win it hitting the shortcut only in the first two laps, it was too unreliable for me to get it in all three laps).
3. Tiny Temple (funny because overall I think the Nitro Kart levels are much, much easier, but this one really demands consistency).
4. Mystery Caves.
5. Clockwork Wumpa.

The others are quite manageable overall, and the easiest ones are definitely any of the levels where you can maintain USF (aside from Tiny Temple) as Oxide seems to drop it inexplicably in most races.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Do we know how they calculate the coins we earn for each race ? (online mode)

I earn 40 coins for being 1st and then 300 coins for again being first
The 40 coins are a bug, aren't they ?

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Just beat Komodo Joe and all I'll say is fuck Dragon Mines. Not even attempting relics / time trials on that unless they patch the physics on the wooden spiral part.

Even so much as lightly scraping the side is enough to bring you to a complete stop most of the time, and at one point me grazing it with the side of one wheel was enough to play the "bounce" animation as if I'd just crashed head on into a wall, and reduce my speed to zero.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat Komodo Joe and all I'll say is fuck Dragon Mines. Not even attempting relics / time trials on that unless they patch the physics on the wooden spiral part.

Even so much as lightly scraping the side is enough to bring you to a complete stop most of the time, and at one point me grazing it with the side of one wheel was enough to play the "bounce" animation as if I'd just crashed head on into a wall, and reduce my speed to zero.

A few walls in the game is so damn frustrating thanks to hitboxes, which seems to be par for the course with these Crash/Spyro remakes of late.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Is anyone else getting "The software was closed because an error occurred." crashes on Switch? :/

Not sure if that's related to the save file woes folks are discussing, I haven't touched time trials or relic races so I don't think it's related to the above tweet

EDIT: Just tried it on my US account (which has no save) and it seems fine...huh

For what it's worth, I've only really done straight playthrough of adventure mode and some online races

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
They should add some invincibility frames after getting hit by something. It's ridiculous sometimes.

Out_Of_Ammo

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Is anyone else getting "The software was closed because an error occurred." crashes on Switch? :/

Not sure if that's related to the save file woes folks are discussing, I haven't touched time trials or relic races so I don't think it's related to the above tweet

EDIT: Just tried it on my US account (which has no save) and it seems fine...huh

For what it's worth, I've only really done straight playthrough of adventure mode and some online races
Yeah, it happened multiple times for me, both online and offline.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I've got that error once, when I tried to access the Pit Stop. Never had it otherwise.

Oct 27, 2017
They should add some invincibility frames after getting hit by something. It's ridiculous sometimes.
There are some invincibility frames (a good strategy if you've an unavoidable blue orb approaching and possess a vial is to throw the vial in front of you to get hit before the blue orb does because the recovery on the spin is shorter), but it's definitely possible to end up in a prolonged paused state because of how short they are.

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
There are some invincibility frames (a good strategy if you've an unavoidable blue orb approaching and possess a vial is to throw the vial in front of you to get hit before the blue orb does because the recovery on the spin is shorter), but it's definitely possible to end up in a prolonged paused state because of how short they are.

Ooooh I never thought about the vial thingie. It will definitely helped, thanks.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017

So basically the root of the problem is that there was an oversight over the fact that the PS4 version has an extra track and it corrupts your savefile because the game thinks all versions have only 31 tracks?

Oct 27, 2017
So basically the root of the problem is that there was an oversight over the fact that the PS4 version has an extra track and it corrupts your savefile because the game thinks all versions have only 31 tracks?
It doesn't even seem to be accurate as other people are reporting it happening through online play and by playing tracks on Time Trials before they've completed every other track. It seems like a good guess, but there are other reports which call the accuracy into question.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Imagine losing your savefile for doing the time trial of a shitty lazy reskin of the worst track in the game.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Just played a bit while commuting, and tried to launch MK8 after. I admit that the pace of MK8 seems a tad less frantic and the tracks are polished but kinda simple in comparison with the narrow tracks from CTR. Though, the smoothness of it and the 7 seconds load times are still playing in favor of MK8.
MK8 is your wife, CTR is your mistress!

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have any tips for beating N.Tropy's time trial in the Dragon Mines? Not sure what I'm doing wrong on this one.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Just played a bit while commuting, and tried to launch MK8 after. I admit that the pace of MK8 seems a tad less frantic and the tracks are polished but kinda simple in comparison with the narrow tracks from CTR. Though, the smoothness of it and the 7 seconds load times are still playing in favor of MK8.
MK8 is your wife, CTR is your mistress!

I imagine MK8 is wider because of 12 racers instead of CTR's 8. At least that was the reasoning why MK Wii had wider tracks.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I imagine MK8 is wider because of 12 racers instead of CTR's 8. At least that was the reasoning why MK Wii had wider tracks.

Let's bear in mind that CTR is a game that was by and large, released in 1999. Mario Kart 8 has undergone many many iterations, and the studio has made many kart racing games.

What I'm saying is, that they probably made the tracks that way because they looked cool, and fit with the level design in the Crash Bandicoot games. Not for any especially high-level, design intent about how a kart racing game should play, and the number of players that should occupy space. The game was only ever designed for 4 players simultaneously, it's much more hectic online than the original ever was.

When I play Crash Team Racing, I think it's the original games that inspired the design the most. The way the cars get launched over bumps, the frequency of jumps, and little things to hop over. It's like you're playing a platformer at high speed, at times.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Ooooh I never thought about the vial thingie. It will definitely helped, thanks.

This mostly isn't worth it. The timing is strict, and it's less harmful to get hit by a warp orb, than it is to get hit by a red vial. Therefore, you have to sit below 10 wumpa, which also lowers your overall speed.

Your best best is to try and position yourself so that when you get hit, you can easily pick up sacred fire again as quickly as possible. If you get hit and then lose USF for a long time, you can lose a lead very significantly. For instance, on Tiny Temple, getting hit after the start line on lap 2 will cause you to lose 15 seconds on the lap if you were to be otherwise, untouched. So with this in mind, you're actually better off braking and waiting a whole turn ahead of the USF pad, if the orb is close.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Seems to be some odd hitboxes at points. If you go up to high on the walls in the Sewer level it just kinda stops you dead. I don't remember that being an issue in the original. Also some corners that if you cut too short you'll catch on an invisible edge.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Seems to be some odd hitboxes at points. If you go up to high on the walls in the Sewer level it just kinda stops you dead. I don't remember that being an issue in the original. Also some corners that if you cut too short you'll catch on an invisible edge.
Yeah Sewer Speedway has weird physics all around. The shortcut is super strict now too

Orbulon

Nov 1, 2017
France
Yay all my time trial times reset when I launch the game ! Good thing I spent 4 hours straight beating every Oxide ghost !

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

Yeah it's a problem, and Deep Sea Diving has the same issues in its pipe section.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have any tips for beating N.Tropy's time trial in the Dragon Mines? Not sure what I'm doing wrong on this one.
You can drift straight easier at the starting hallway by jumping in the opposite direction before you drift. So jump right before drifting left, and vice versa.

For the wooden spiral, you can turn fast by jumping and breaking as you jump. You can also break turn, though Inpersonall find that harder on that section.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
After 15 minutes of searching I had to succumb to a guide to find the C in the cave track for the CTR challenge...

I don't know whether to feel dumb or to gripe about the placement of a shiny yellow object on a fluorescent yellow background complete with extra yellow track hazard popping up and down in front of it.
Both.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
After 15 minutes of searching I had to succumb to a guide to find the C in the cave track for the CTR challenge...

I don't know whether to feel dumb or to gripe about the placement of a shiny yellow object on a fluorescent yellow background complete with extra yellow track hazard popping up and down in front of it.
Both.
If it makes you feel any better, I played the original a million times and still couldn't find it. Legit thought Beenox forgot to put it in.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
When I play Crash Team Racing, I think it's the original games that inspired the design the most. The way the cars get launched over bumps, the frequency of jumps, and little things to hop over. It's like you're playing a platformer at high speed, at times.

I was trying to figure out what exactly made CTR so special in my mind and I think this hits the nail on the head. While MK has similar things, everything the last time i played 8 on Wii U felt safe, and sort of I guess homogenized. Obviously yes, there's some absolutely gorgeous and fun tracks on MK but CTR is a whole other ball game.

Every. Single. Level looks like it was born out of a mad man's idea of a race track. There's all sorts of hops and jumps and things that you go flying through the air in. When you're playing online, the insanity bumps up to a 100 and its just absolute chaos. It's not even about winning a race at that point, more just hoping you can survive and actually complete a lap.

It's madcap fun that I think perfectly encapsulates this sort of "90s Platformer" that Spyro and Crash were.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I was trying to figure out what exactly made CTR so special in my mind and I think this hits the nail on the head. While MK has similar things, everything the last time i played 8 on Wii U felt safe, and sort of I guess homogenized. Obviously yes, there's some absolutely gorgeous and fun tracks on MK but CTR is a whole other ball game.

Every. Single. Level looks like it was born out of a mad man's idea of a race track. There's all sorts of hops and jumps and things that you go flying through the air in. When you're playing online, the insanity bumps up to a 100 and its just absolute chaos. It's not even about winning a race at that point, more just hoping you can survive and actually complete a lap.

It's madcap fun that I think perfectly encapsulates this sort of "90s Platformer" that Spyro and Crash were.

Yeah. I think the only track that doesn't follow this design is Inferno Island. Perhaps it's just a simple track to give players the opportunity to get used to the controls, but it's quite bland, even compared to Crash Cove. Jungle Boogie isn't quite as good as the others either, in my opinion.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
SA folks, don't do Retro Stadium on PS4. You will lose your save data if you do this after clocking a time in all of the other tracks.
God damn it, i STARTED Retro Stadium....am i fucked?
I have yet to beat Oxide on there but i did beat N.Tropy.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017

Both.
haha omg, this was messing me up too. I drove around just looking all over the place, even used rear view.

BrunOz

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
yikes, looks like I've dodged a bullet unlocking N. Tropy straight away, did all the time trials but never bothered with the retro track lol