99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
God damn pinstripe was annoying. I lost an early lead and ate like 5 bombs in a row on the straightaway before the last turn. If you don't get a good lead after the blue boost on the first lap, you might as well restart because it's just so frustrating. Then I destroyed him but man that was way more annoying than I remembered.
EDIT: wow fuck oxide

Last edited:

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
I was trying to figure out what exactly made CTR so special in my mind and I think this hits the nail on the head. While MK has similar things, everything the last time i played 8 on Wii U felt safe, and sort of I guess homogenized. Obviously yes, there's some absolutely gorgeous and fun tracks on MK but CTR is a whole other ball game.

Every. Single. Level looks like it was born out of a mad man's idea of a race track. There's all sorts of hops and jumps and things that you go flying through the air in. When you're playing online, the insanity bumps up to a 100 and its just absolute chaos. It's not even about winning a race at that point, more just hoping you can survive and actually complete a lap.

It's madcap fun that I think perfectly encapsulates this sort of "90s Platformer" that Spyro and Crash were.
I wouldn't say every level as a few are pretty vanilla even compared do MK, but overall I agree with you. Especially the platformer part, as CTR kind of capture the feel of a platformer for some reason.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Aaand I'm done with this game. Was a fun experience, but most 'normal' players already moved on and I don't like losing 30 seconds behind the first racer.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
I was trying to figure out what exactly made CTR so special in my mind and I think this hits the nail on the head.

The racing in MK just feels like a stroll in the park. Nothing feels involved except the most basic of drifting. I dont know why neither Transformed nor MK went the route of making multi-path levels that let you choose between air, land, and sea, each with its own pros and cons. Id like something to shake up the gameplay. I know Transformed had options, but I dont recall it mattering which route you chose as far as land, air, sea goes

Aaand I'm done with this game. Was a fun experience, but most 'normal' players already moved on and I don't like losing 30 seconds behind the first racer.
They really need a ranked mode. Im never first or second, sometimes third. I dont mind losing. I just wish theyd have a ranked mode.

Feel like theyre afraid of fracturing the userbase. Stupid sony and crossplay.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
It's not much better on anything else. I watched a couple of videos on Youtube and the first race was 22 seconds of loading on PS4 vs 27 seconds on Switch.
Switch load times are 40 seconds on average on a normal 8 player race, so it's definitely quite a bit worse. That said, the 20+ load times on other consoles aren't great either.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So for those of you wondering about the combined cost for purchasing all items currently available in the Pit Stop is 171,275 Wumpa Coins + 1000-3000 as there's one sticker pack of which I did not find the value.
Getting the Oxide edition reduces the amount by 4500 (it unlocks 3 characters that you would have to buy otherwise).

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Yo if you're on PS4 I'd advise not unlocking N. Trophy at all until a fix is confirmed. Ever since unlocking him I've had my game crashing and my save deleting itself during loading screens. It only took less than 10 minutes for it to happen twice. No I did not touch Retro Stadium times.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I wish we'd get some word from the developers at least acknowledging the game-breaking save corruption bug, and maybe some of the QoL issues with a few of the tracks and shortcuts. I know they've launched the game and are probably celebrating and taking breaks, but the launch period is important for player retention.

I am 95% on board with this game and thank the developers a great deal for it, but I really would like to see more transparency and dialogue with the community.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm finding the acceleration characters to be my "best'" characters right now. I was having a lot of trouble with Pinstripe, but suddenly it just became a little more manageable when I switched to Coco (it also might've helped that I was able to hit him with a few items and get him to fall off the course at one point during that attempt lol.)

I'm saving my coins for that summer pack right now. I really want to unlock N. Trance, and I really like the other items in the pack too.

SoraanTribal

Oct 27, 2017
How long does the reduced wompa coins for online races last? It's very lame to get 1st in a race and only get like 30 coins... Like wtf. This is such a lame way to do unlockables. I'd actually be playing the game more if the coins were averaging 300+ per win.

This system actually kind of reminds me of the original FFXIV launch game. The more you played and tried to level, the lower exp you'd get. It's dumb.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
How long does the reduced wompa coins for online races last? It's very lame to get 1st in a race and only get like 30 coins... Like wtf. This is such a lame way to do unlockables. I'd actually be playing the game more if the coins were averaging 300+ per win.

This system actually kind of reminds me of the original FFXIV launch game. The more you played and tried to level, the lower exp you'd get. It's dumb.
The current theory right now is that you'll get increased coin gains for either about a hour or until you hit the soft cap once the pit stop rotates items. After the pit shop rotation, you will probably get one more online match with low payout and then get the increased payouts the online races after that one, or that's how I've been experiencing it so far.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone else getting "The software was closed because an error occurred." crashes on Switch? :/
Only once, I managed to crash the entire online lobby by carrying blue flame throughout the entire track to the final jump at the end of the tube in Deep Sea Driving, came off the curved wall at a strange angle, jumped and somehow flew down towards the boost ramp at a totally wonky angle and hard crashed the race for everyone. Pretty hilarious, but I was 3 seconds away from a win so also annoying. The tube physics really need some work.

Rlan

Oct 27, 2017
Wellington, New Zealand
Played through the main part of the campaign, still need to get CTR and Time stages. Are any of the Nitro Kart stages integrated into the campaign? Is there some "Plus" mode somewhere which switches out standard stages with Nitro Kart stages? Or can you only play them via Arcade or Online?

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Played through the main part of the campaign, still need to get CTR and Time stages. Are any of the Nitro Kart stages integrated into the campaign? Is there some "Plus" mode somewhere which switches out standard stages with Nitro Kart stages? Or can you only play them via Arcade or Online?
Adventure mode is soley the CTR one. CNK are Arcade and Online.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
There's an annoying part of the track after the big drop on Oxide Station where you can easily fall through the floor. Happened to me twice in a single race.

Nah, I wish. Holding out hope for a NK Adventure DLC down the line.

Last edited:

Roo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I think the only track that doesn't follow this design is Inferno Island. Perhaps it's just a simple track to give players the opportunity to get used to the controls, but it's quite bland, even compared to Crash Cove. Jungle Boogie isn't quite as good as the others either, in my opinion.
It's funny because Jungle Boogie has several elements that could make it a great track with all the jumps, turns etc but it comes as a poorly designed track.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
Ok yeah, so the Wumpa Coin boost activated again on the second online race after the shop rotation, so it's save to assume that there's a daily boost where you earn 100/200/300/400 instead of 20/40/60/80. Now the real thing to figure out is if this is a timed boost for like an hour or if there's a actual soft cap on the amount of coins you can earn during this boost.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
Ok yeah, so the Wumpa Coin boost activated again on the second online race after the shop rotation, so it's save to assume that there's a daily boost where you earn 100/200/300/400 instead of 20/40/60/80. Now the real thing to figure out is if this is a timed boost for like an hour or if there's a actual soft cap on the amount of coins you can earn during this boost.
OK i'll try it again.

i stopped playing online the past 2 days because the coin boost was so awful for me.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
So I cleared all of N.Tropy's time trials for the original CTR content, and I thought that would unlock N.Tropy for me...but it looks like you have to clear the CNK time trials as well.

Poop.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope the devs fix the battle mode (how missiles work, split screen option, remove "x is leading" text, etc).

Otherwise I'll probably be dropping the game.

Deleted member 40604

Banned
Mar 3, 2018

People have repeatedly tested and confirmed its a soft cap not a time cap. Once you earn around 2000 coins the bonus ends until the shop refreshes. It used to be 5000 on top of the even greater bonus.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Beat Cortex Castle's N Tropy ghost! That was one of the harder ones for me, though Dragon Mines was still the worst so far.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
So I kept track of my earnings yet again, here a link to my earnings yesterday. I abbreviated the track names cause it's not really important to the thing we're trying to figure out.

BR 2nd 36 of 40 <-- first race after shop rotation no coin boost, presumably initiates it
TA 1st 400 of 400
PP 2nd 180 of 200
CC 1st 300 of 300
MC 3rd 170 of 200
TS 2nd 270 of 300
PP 2nd 270 of 300
DSD 2nd 180 of 200
TA 2nd 360 of 400
PP 2nd 180 of 200
EA 1st 400 of 400
CC 1st 60 of 60 <-- coin boost ended

Total of 2710 coins earned during the coin boost. Considering I earned 2325 yesterday (and the varying numbers I got during launch period that I didn't wrote down), I'm already very certain to conclude there is no actual set soft cap. Just like yesterday, it took exactly a hour to get the end of the coin boost again. However, one finding I find very curious this time around was that the Coin Boost was active for exactly 10 races both yesterday and today, so it might just be a coin boost for exactly 10 races instead of a 1 hour cap. Would explain why people keep thinking there might be a soft cap and end up around the same number usually. I'll keep track of my coin gains the following days, maybe I'll try to take a break in between races tomorrow to see if either the 10 races or the 1 hour theory is correct.
People have repeatedly tested and confirmed its a soft cap not a time cap. Once you earn around 2000 coins the bonus ends until the shop refreshes. It used to be 5000 on top of the even greater bonus.
As you can see from my findings, that soft cap theory simply can't be true. At least not for a set hard cap, the numbers simply vary too much.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Beat N Tropy on my first try on Polar Pass! Goddamn, that felt good.

14 stages down, 4 more to go for classic CTR. 14 to go for Nitro Fueled, but I've heard the N Tropy ghosts on those levels are way easier.

bibs

Oct 27, 2017
For whatever reason, I've been having this game crash on me at random times, normally when loading something. I've almost never experienced any crashing on Xbox games before so this is quite strange. Hopefully they are able to patch them out.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
If you have a turbo controller that can repeatedly press X for you, then you could farm coins overnight by playing team battle over and over again. I tried it once and it works, but it's just slow.

Deleted member 28131

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Pinstripe on normal... fuck i haven't been that mad at a game in a long time. He's the real final boss. Oxide was a joke after.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can someone tell me how the hell people are getting these times?

I though I was good, but these people are destroying my times.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Yeah, the Sewer Speedway shortcut is fucked and inconsistent, I simply won't bother with it anymore, tired of losing races because I keep attempting it and not getting it despite having enough speed and jumping correctly.

Deleted member 40604

Banned
Mar 3, 2018
So I kept track of my earnings yet again, here a link to my earnings yesterday. I abbreviated the track names cause it's not really important to the thing we're trying to figure out.

BR 2nd 36 of 40 <-- first race after shop rotation no coin boost, presumably initiates it
TA 1st 400 of 400
PP 2nd 180 of 200
CC 1st 300 of 300
MC 3rd 170 of 200
TS 2nd 270 of 300
PP 2nd 270 of 300
DSD 2nd 180 of 200
TA 2nd 360 of 400
PP 2nd 180 of 200
EA 1st 400 of 400
CC 1st 60 of 60 <-- coin boost ended

Total of 2710 coins earned during the coin boost. Considering I earned 2325 yesterday (and the varying numbers I got during launch period that I didn't wrote down), I'm already very certain to conclude there is no actual set soft cap. Just like yesterday, it took exactly a hour to get the end of the coin boost again. However, one finding I find very curious this time around was that the Coin Boost was active for exactly 10 races both yesterday and today, so it might just be a coin boost for exactly 10 races instead of a 1 hour cap. Would explain why people keep thinking there might be a soft cap and end up around the same number usually. I'll keep track of my coin gains the following days, maybe I'll try to take a break in between races tomorrow to see if either the 10 races or the 1 hour theory is correct.

As you can see from my findings, that soft cap theory simply can't be true. At least not for a set hard cap, the numbers simply vary too much.

Then it has to be a set number of races then. I've raced online for 30 minutes before. Took a break, then hopped on later in the day and was still getting a bonus before the shop reset. That or it's based on the amount of time spent actually racing, and once it passes a certain timer your bonus ends.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This game needs to do a better job with cycling online maps.

This is the first time I've ever played Meteor Gorge and I been playing online since Thursday.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
N Tropy on Oxide Station is hard as fuck. Only 3 seconds slower than Oxide himself.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
Then it has to be a set number of races then. I've raced online for 30 minutes before. Took a break, then hopped on later in the day and was still getting a bonus before the shop reset. That or it's based on the amount of time spent actually racing, and once it passes a certain timer your bonus ends.
Hm yeah, the 10 races theory seems the most likely then. I guess tomorrow I'll try to leave every lobby that picks one of the bottom tier payout tracks and stay in the ones that pick high payout tracks, see if the game will still pay out for 10 races or if there are even more or different mechanics in play in this wumpa system.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
Makes me wonder if it was bugged before or something, I had Meteor Gorge for the first time also today.
Yeah, I also saw it for the first time today. Apparently Retro Stadium on PS4 is now also showing up while it didn't before, so they clearly hotfixed that, similarly to how they hotfixed the 30 second timer into online. They seemed to have build in a ton of ways to adjust the game server-side with hotfixes.