• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Okapi

May 31, 2019
It's true the Ashtray Maze part is great but I thought the dream-like sequence at the end was just incredible. The game could've ended right when Jesse sits on the director's chair and I would've been happy with that.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
finally done

dunno if i'll fuck around getting the rest of the side quest stuff or not. performance was pretty good on PC but I would get occasional freezes, which indicates to me that I need to upgrade pretty soon.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
you can throw things at him too. but pierce is better since he's not a traditional big boss like we see throughout the game.
I found that he did have a point where you could reliably throw at him.

After Tomassi does the sparkle + ground pound, he hovers, stunned, a few feet off the ground for a few seconds.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got to fight the dreaded Tomassi I heard so much about. What a joke, seriously, do people not use shield and pierce? because it was very easy to fight him the same way you fight any other elevated type enemy.

Just go up to the upper level at the start of the fight, pierce his ass, launch stuff at the mobs, use shield when he can launch stuff at you and for the siren.

Anyway, I'm only five skill points away from the Platinum, might as well get it :)

Last edited:

Okapi

May 31, 2019
So how does replaying missions works? You get back to the save state you were in when you initially did the mission and afterwards you can come back to your current save state?

Dozer

May 30, 2019
Orlando, FL
Beat the game today. Excellent game that came a little short in a few places.

Highlights
  • The world building and story. Really no complaints at all, beyond "why wasn't X fully explained" but it's just not that sort of universe.
  • Favorite moment was actually when the
    game crashed during the false credits.
    . I loved the whole final section of the game actually, minus one thing below.
Weak points
  • I felt way too powerful by the end. I could one shot pretty much everyone with a Pierce headshot, even shielded guys. Fully upgraded launch was disgustingly powerful.
  • No real final boss? There were some really great optional bosses especially
    esseJ and the Anchor (although the latter seems to be divisive)
    , so this was a real bummer.
  • Small thing but there were so many documents about the building "shifting", I was expecting that to pay off in a bigger way.
Will definitely be going back to finish some final missions and will come back for the DLC. Wonder what they are going to do with Alan Wake.
He seems to be stuck in the motel or something, poor fella.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
I finished and platinumed the game a couple of hours ago... I must say that I really enjoyed and liked it!! The ending could have been better though but at least we got the DLC after launch to know more about what happened.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
<< Our favourite/most intriguing part of the game was definitely the Board/the Pyramid/Our Sponsors. >>

<< Even though they are not explained/not relevant/fourth-wall breakers which does not normally appeal. >>

<< The corporate jargon/translation errors was a fun concept, especially when the chosen terms are mutual/contradictory >>

<< It must have been a pain to translate/maintain across multiple languages/communications/perspectives >>

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
This game has so many surprise hilarious moments.

Rubber duck

Jesse: "Fuck you"

Indeed, there were a lot of these small moments that really help make the game come together.

<< Our favourite/most intriguing part of the game was definitely the Board/the Pyramid/Our Sponsors. >>

<< Even though they are not explained/not relevant/fourth-wall breakers which does not normally appeal. >>

<< The corporate jargon/translation errors was a fun concept, especially when the chosen terms are mutual/contradictory >>

<< It must have been a pain to translate/maintain across multiple languages/communications/perspectives >>

I meantioned before but the Board is awesome. There were a lot of smart uses of the double, even triple, meaming of words. I have only one saved here but there were dozens that I could post here just to illustrate this.

Q5EnwXY.png

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
also seeing darling and trench rocking out in dyna-mite was amazing

APizzaPie

Oct 27, 2017
Finally finished with the game after 33 hours and I have a few random thoughts.

- If it wasn't for the Resident Evil 2 Remake this would be my favorite game of the year.
- Really disappointed that sales are off to a slow start. This is another example of a great single player game being ignored. I'll be there day one for the DLC assuming it comes to PC.
- Dr. Darling is in excellent shape for a scientist in his 50's.
- The janitor deserves a raise. Every glass surface is immaculate with RTX on.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Just finished up The Face of the Enemy. It was really cool to run into a file referencing the events of Alan Wake. I heard rumblings about easter eggs in this game, but wasn't sure they'd be so direct. Knowing Alan Wake and Control take place in the same universe is pretty cool. Hoping I run into some more related 'files' before I'm done.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
How important are the side quests? I love the story/lore of control but I'm pretty close to quitting it. I'm on the flamingo boss and it's way to frustrating for me. I'm not a fan of using levitate for fights because I never know when it's going to end and I fall to my death. I really think they should have used normal check points and given a option to pull the camera back. At least in this boss fight I can never see the holes in the floor and I keep falling.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
How important are the side quests? I love the story/lore of control but I'm pretty close to quitting it. I'm on the flamingo boss and it's way to frustrating for me. I'm not a fan of using levitate for fights because I never know when it's going to end and I fall to my death. I really think they should have used normal check points and given a option to pull the camera back. At least in this boss fight I can never see the holes in the floor and I keep falling.
I'd say very. Not only because they are a source of insight into the Bureau business, buy they're also a great source of skills points.

Maybe leave that fight for later? There's no missables, everything can be done later. Have you done all the janitor's requests? Lots of easy points and the official janitor outfit are waiting for you there. Once you've upgraded health, energy, launch and shield you could upgrade levitate duration if that's giving you trouble.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Game started kind of slow but combat got a lot more fun once you opened up the move sets. Kind of reminded me of Doom in that respect.

The lore is interesting but the oldest house is just kind of a boring environment so far. Hope the plot picks up too. Kind of feels like I'm just doing random chores for people right now. Had to turn on subtitles for the janitor 😒

Do I need to memorize all these locked doors? Or will the game end up leading me back to them? Doesn't seem like stuff is really marked on the map besides objectives. That or I'm Dumb lol

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just finished up The Face of the Enemy. It was really cool to run into a file referencing the events of Alan Wake. I heard rumblings about easter eggs in this game, but wasn't sure they'd be so direct. Knowing Alan Wake and Control take place in the same universe is pretty cool. Hoping I run into some more related 'files' before I'm done.

Oh, there's LOTS more. Once you finish the game, check this article for any you missed.

dirtyjane

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who never upgraded health there is one boss who really really sucks. The fight is just too frantic to evade every single attack.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think its fair to say CONTROL is leading every game when it comes to physics based destruction.
Not too excessive just for the show, but dramatic enough that aftermath of a battle looks amazing.

dirtyjane

Oct 27, 2017
I think its fair to say CONTROL is leading every game when it comes to physics based destruction.
Not too excessive just for the show, but dramatic enough that aftermath of a battle looks amazing.
Yes! The first game since Crysis/Warhead that puts an emphasis on reactive World Space.
Im a huge sucker for stuff like this even if its mostly for show.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Where do you get this costume?
Self-Reflection quest reward. Head to the Synchronicity lab once you have Level 6 access and prepare yourself for the best boss fight this game has to offer imo.

The outfit is actually displayed on one of the display/containment rooms in there, you have to pick it up after finishing the quest.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I'm at the point where I now love this game. I've embraced how absurd everything is and I'm just enjoying the ride. There are sooooo many Alan Wake references in the documents you find. It's not just subtle hints, there are very specific things mentioned. I spent last night doing only side objectives, and had a lot of fun with it.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What Egida said lol
First you need to complete a puzzle and then the boss fight starts.
Keep in mind that you have to check a mannequin after clearing the sidequest to get the costume, it doesn't appear automatically to choose.
Oh shit, I totally missed picking this up. It's almost like how it's easy to miss the Janitor's outfit.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
Finally got to fight the dreaded Tomassi I heard so much about. What a joke, seriously, do people not use shield and pierce? because it was very easy to fight him the same way you fight any other elevated type enemy.

Just go up to the upper level at the start of the fight, pierce his ass, launch stuff at the mobs, use shield when he can launch stuff at you and for the siren.

Anyway, I'm only five skill points away from the Platinum, might as well get it :)

He's not hard himself at all. It's those goddamn exploding invisible hiss that make the fight such a pain in the ass. You're sitting there focusing on dodging his projectiles and running away from the exploding hiss monsters and then the invisible one comes up on you and just explodes on your ass and you didn't notice the weird smokey indicator that lets you know he's around because there was so much other stuff going on. And those things can follow you up onto the rafters too. What did make it easier was jumping up on the spires or that rock in the middle of the room. They don't seem to come up on those.

Mr Delabee

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Thanks. What about level 3 upgrades? Are those gated behind story? I just got the #6 card.

Sorry I'm late back.

I'm not entirely sure about Pierce, I know some previous gun upgrades were gated as I went through the game, since my pierce was glitched I finished the game all side missions with a level 1.

I did initially think it was a late game upgrade as it's quite an OP gun, then I found out it was glitched.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
Does anyone have the Astral Dive Suit? The PS cover features it but when I reedemed the download code that came with the game the coatume didn't show up...

Oh shit, I totally missed picking this up. It's almost like how it's easy to miss the Janitor's outfit.
Now go and use it because it's the best! Imho hahah

Thomas Puha

Head of Comms at Remedy Entertainment
Verified
Jan 15, 2018
Espoo, Finland
Does anyone have the Astral Dive Suit? The PS cover features it but when I reedemed the download code that came with the game the coatume didn't show up...

Now go and use it because it's the best! Imho hahah

Did you actually go in-game to see that the costume didnt show? If you unlock all the things like the exclusive mods etc, the cstoume will show up in the costume select at the Exec Hub.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Sorry I'm late back.

I'm not entirely sure about Pierce, I know some previous gun upgrades were gated as I went through the game, since my pierce was glitched I finished the game all side missions with a level 1.

I did initially think it was a late game upgrade as it's quite an OP gun, then I found out it was glitched.

The pierce upgrade just finally showed up. Just need a few more materials. I think i'm good :)

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
Tomassi was kinda difficult but yeah, mostly because of the invisible hiss, kinda annoyed everytime I was doing okay and then the damn things took almost half the health bar...

Did you actually go in-game to see that the costume didnt show? If you unlock all the things like the exclusive mods etc, the cstoume will show up in the costume select at the Exec Hub.
Will check it again just to be sure.