• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do I have such a hard time focusing while reading.

Fuck used to be I could read actual books with a little piece and quiet and now I get bored as hell. What's happening to me.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible to live without AC? It's been consistently 90°+ around here but I barely notice because I'm in AC all day.
It was over 90° for one day yesterday here where I live in the UK and that was bad enough.

Fuck used to be I could read actual books with a little piece and quiet and now I get bored as hell. What's happening to me.
Try doing a completely different hobby for a while and leave off the reading for a bit.
I now struggle to play video games for some reason because I get bored fast.
But i'm fine reading. These things are cyclical.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017

The internet has ruined you. I read on my phone via the kindle app and I can concentrate. Though I ain't gonna lie. I still stop every 15-20 minutes to check the internet real quick. It's the cost of having all this convenience so close and easily accessible.
It was over 90° for one day yesterday here where I live in the UK and that was bad enough.
Sometimes if it's over 100°, even the AC has a bit of trouble keeping up.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Grant Morrison really needs to write Doctor Strange.
I instinctively think it would be amazing.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Spy x Family is great. Have you tried Hard-Boiled Cop & Dolphin yet? That one is fun, too.

No, but looks new too, so I might give it a read then. Just want something a bit different from the titles I mentioned cause they all feel like the standard shonen hero action. XD Which is why I wanted to consider SpyXFamily too for something a bit different.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno if its the translation from Japanese to English, or if the translator just threw his own spin on it, but some of the accents in Hellsing are rough lol. Think im on the second or third volume, where you are first introduced to the Vatican, and man I can barely make out what they are saying half the time. Sometimes ill realize what was said a page or two later lol. Like, I get it, they are Irish or Italian, or whatever. I just want to know whats going on.

May 24, 2019
Talking word type books, I just started Charlie Kaufman's novel Antkind. He's the guy that wrote all those weirdo Spike Jones movies. I think this is his first book.
720 pages whee.
I'm just on the introductory chapters where the protagonist is introducing himself and he's a middle aged self absorbed misanthropic butthole film critic who describes his beard in detail and is smugly proud that he has an African American girlfriend.
I think the author is purposefully trying to put the reader off 😂

Last edited:

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
Grant Morrison really needs to write Doctor Strange.
I instinctively think it would be amazing.
I think we got what a Dr. Strange take by Morrison looks like in Seven Soldiers.

Dr. Strange would be a little too on the nose for Morrison. If you want to give him something at Marvel, there's loads of potential in him writing Thor.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
This is true. Miles can be as free and single as they want.
Let Peter be married. Let him have a kid.
In my mind this opens up vast new narrative options that haven't been explored with Spider-man yet. It doesn't close them.

I have this wild hope that Kindred is Peter's child that Norman stole years ago grown up and pissed off. Wont happen. But boy would it be interesting.
At least we got Renew Your Vows.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I've found Spencer's spidey really tame and basic. I read up until 2020 and the best part was Boomerang but they really hadn't done much with him beyond comedy. I hear he's in it more now. Spencer just hadnt done anything super exciting for me yet. Maybe he's gun shy from "hail hydra" backlash. I'll jump back on. But my expectations are in check.

The stretch from 2099 to now were pretty meh, though there were some good moments. It's really picking up right now though, it's looking like essentially a Death of Jean DeWolff/Return of the Sin-Eater part 3 (which I need to reread). And the marriage is coming up in a big way.

I know they did it. But my mind cant really comprehend that they intended to stick with the Peter as the clone idea forever.

Although this is the company that had Peter sell his marriage to the devil, just so he could be a swingin single again.
So all bets are off.

I fundamentally disagree with the idea that married Peter would suddenly become boring or impossible to write for.
Superman has been married for twenty years plus at this point.
And it didn't slow him down any.
Marvel are full of shite on this matter.

Well, the big Superman 2000 pitch (I think that's the one) was going to have their marriage sold to Mxyzptlk. And then it got erased with the Nu52. So his marriage has been in the crosshairs a few times despite the fact that I've never seen anyone that actually dislikes the marriage.

Marvel's big mistake was giving the job to JMS and then letting him write some of the best relationship stuff ever put in a big 2 comic.

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
I miss that era of JMS Spidey just before OMD. The relationship was written so well that OMD was made 100x worse.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I avoid this site for a day and there's actual discussion I'm interested in smh

hopefully Zdarsky can defeat Cates in 1vs1 combat and get the book once Spencer's done. I need to catch up on DD but I see he's shown up so much i get the impression Zdarksy still wants to write Peter. also naming a story One More Day... the maniac.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That good huh? I cant really tell what its about just going by the synopsis, so I cant tell if its something I would enjoy.

Im reading Atwood's The Testaments now. The follow up to her The Handmaid's Tale.
It's a character-focused dark fantasy series with some heavy worldbuilding. It's not really a traditional fantasy though. Rather, certain people simply have an innate power to channel energy from the earth. Only, instead of the Avatar-style Earthbending type magic, it's more of the... these people terrifyingly powerful and struggle to control their own powers so they're greatly feared to the point of being hated by everyone else and basically enslaved/hunted by the powers that be.

The story starts with one such powerful woman who has managed to hide, start a family in secret. She's never told her husband, even knowing her own children are guaranteed to have the power, too. And... things go horribly wrong. Both on a small scale and from, well, the biggest scale.

It's sad and profound and touching and excruciating and so, so good. Some have called it grimdark, if you know that subgenre, but it isn't brutal for the sake of being brutal. But its going to tear up your insides. And it'll probably make you look at the real world differently afterward, too.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I want Spider-Man to go to someone that isn't a white man next. I also want to see what Cates wants to do though.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
It's a character-focused dark fantasy series with some heavy worldbuilding. It's not really a traditional fantasy though. Rather, certain people simply have an innate power to channel energy from the earth. Only, instead of the Avatar-style Earthbending type magic, it's more of the... these people terrifyingly powerful and struggle to control their own powers so they're greatly feared to the point of being hated by everyone else and basically enslaved/hunted by the powers that be.

The story starts with one such powerful woman who has managed to hide, start a family in secret. She's never told her husband, even knowing her own children are guaranteed to have the power, too. And... things go horribly wrong. Both on a small scale and from, well, the biggest scale.

It's sad and profound and touching and excruciating and so, so good. Some have called it grimdark, if you know that subgenre, but it isn't brutal for the sake of being brutal. But its going to tear up your insides. And it'll probably make you look at the real world differently afterward, too.
Oh nice, that sounds good. I love her work on her comic and it got me wondering if I should check out her actual novels lol. Guess Ill get the first one and see how it goes from there.

That Dreamblood Duology sounds really neat too

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
Cates writing ASM would be awful.

If Zdarsky won't do it, I vote for Jeff Loveness or giving Zeb Wells another shot.

May 24, 2019
DmRx2hb.png

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019

I struggle to finish even a single issue unless I'm in bed but by then I'm too tired to make it more than a couple issues. I definitely understand. It sucks. I can still read countless chapters of Shonen Jump though lol
I bought Witch Hat Atelier Vol 1. I think I'll like it. Maybe.
I think out of anyone here you'll dig it. It's a very fun read. Really good art.

I wouldn't mind a Cates ASM but I think he's pretty awful for it. Zdarsky is my forever number 1. Same with FF. I would love a Zeb Wells run though.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible to live without AC? It's been consistently 90°+ around here but I barely notice because I'm in AC all day.
Here in Phoenix we have been at 115 to 118 the last few days. If my AC died I'd have to bring the family to a friend's house or hotel as it is almost im possible to tolerate without AC.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
It's been high 80's to 90's in Georgia the past 2 weeks and I want to die. I have AC but even combined with a great fan set on high it's too much with humidity.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Speaking of real real books I'm finally starting a room of one's own after reading an insanely dense ~50 page intro. While the intro is very well written and interesting, wew it's no wonder I read more comics

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
We accepted comic books in here but we must take a stand against with nothing but words. What have be become.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
No one lived in Florida before AC was invented.
That seems cruel and primeval. Even from GA, I will say Miami was the most miserable humidity I ever suffered through.

Ant Man and Wasp is on in the background and even though I've seen it a few times now, Wasp would be so cool in the main MCU Avengers.

Nov 1, 2017
I dunno if its the translation from Japanese to English, or if the translator just threw his own spin on it, but some of the accents in Hellsing are rough lol. Think im on the second or third volume, where you are first introduced to the Vatican, and man I can barely make out what they are saying half the time. Sometimes ill realize what was said a page or two later lol. Like, I get it, they are Irish or Italian, or whatever. I just want to know whats going on.

Did you buy the Deluxe Volume 1 Hardcover Hellsing version?

Many translators throughout the years have given Anderson their own take on his accent. I've seen a few different ones in the last two decades or so. The Hardcover version might take a moment or two to figure out what he's saying at times but it's usually easy enough to sort it out.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
People always joke about moving to Canada or wherever, but if the heat keeps getting worse and worse each year, im out. Ive got family in Manchester, and id sleep on their couch if I had to to get away from this heat.

Get myself a righteous teapot

Did you buy the Deluxe Volume 1 Hardcover Hellsing version?
Yea it is. Tried finding an example online, but could only find fan translations without the accents.

We accepted comic books in here but we must take a stand against with nothing but words. What have be become.
Its like a movie.... In your mind.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
People always joke about moving to Canada or wherever, but if the heat keeps getting worse and worse each year, im out. Ive got family in Manchester, and id sleep on their couch if I had to to get away from this heat.

Get myself a righteous teapot

Yea it is. Tried finding an example online, but could only find fan translations without the accents.

Its like a movie.... In your mind.
i'd marry into a Canadian citizenship right about now, for sure

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
All you guys wanting Cates on ASM are just gonna get more Knull connections and Mordun's Revengence and maybe an event where every hero is a Spiderman

Status
Not open for further replies.