• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Playing this now and I think I agree with most of the thread. Combat is genuinely fun and interesting, performance is horrendous on PS5. Tbh I don't think the visuals are awful as others say, but I do think there's really no reason this shouldn't be running at a rock solid 60 in performance mode. Hopefully they spend the next six months working on that.

OP
OP
Dust

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the demo. I actually think there is something pretty good here but they have a lot to iron out.

-Party Members often simply get in your way, either by enemies retargeting them or simply drawing attention when you want to attack yourself, especially during Boss fights

-instant Equip optimization on pick up, it's getting annoying going constantly into menus

-performance is ASSSSS on PS5

-multi hit skills need hyper armor or something, they are way too easily interrupted

-faster the pace a bit, this feels slower than Nioh and it shouldn't be like that (IMO)

-MP system is kinda "eh" but I can see what they are going for

Hero Prinny

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn man normal was chill and then I got to the first boss and it just became another souls like game. Boss has been absolutely destroying me. Gameplay is a lot of fun though so I dont mind. If i buy it I'd probably just end up playing on easy. I dont have the patience to spend all day doing 1 boss fight these days

Last edited:

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Damn man normal was chill and then I got to the first boss and it just became another souls like game. Boss has been absolutely destroying me. Gameplay is a lot of fun though so I dont mind. If i bought it I'd probably just end up playing on easy though. I dont have the patience to spend all day doing 1 boss fight these days
Well, key thing here is bosses are glass cannons. They do high damage output so parrying and dodging is important. On the other hand, when you hit, you're taking substantial portions of health down. Also don't forget to optimize partners equipment so they're doing proper damage.

Cana

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Mar 27, 2021
Got through the first phase of the second boss. This is definitely a Hino Enma (Bat jerk from Nioh 1) moment. Once both come out you have to play lame and not let yourself be put in bad situations when a random whirlpool under your legs means death. Its a very fun fight that will obviously be toned down a bit. Literally reducing their health would be fine and keep them as is.

Fists Im becoming a bit warmer on though specials are still kinda wack for them. This game really needs dodge offset imo.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Got through the first phase of the second boss. This is definitely a Hino Enma (Bat jerk from Nioh 1) moment. Once both come out you have to play lame and not let yourself be put in bad situations when a random whirlpool under your legs means death. Its a very fun fight that will obviously be toned down a bit. Literally reducing their health would be fine and keep them as is.

Fists Im becoming a bit warmer on though specials are still kinda wack for them. This game really needs dodge offset imo.
Sword fighter job makes that fight a lot easier though, and I love it.

Cana

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Mar 27, 2021
Anyone have a survey link? I dont wanna do it on my ps5

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoyed the core gameplay but I think the image quality and performance have somehow gotten worse on PS5 since the first demo

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't get a chance to play the first demo, but why on earth does this game look and run so poorly? In the second stage when it starts raining, there's actual input delay on camera control when that effect is happening. I actually thought the cutscenes were pre-recorded because of that framerate, so when I found out there were in-engine, I gasped. This game is ugly. Easily the ugliest game I've seen for PS5.

Combat's fun though. I don't see it carrying a linear stage based game like this the whole way through, though.

Oct 30, 2017
.... I couldn't even complete the demo and deleted it and Final Fantasy is my favourite video game franchise of all time.

What they were thinking when they made this ?

glaurung

Oct 26, 2017
Estonia
.... I couldn't even complete the demo and deleted it and Final Fantasy is my favourite video game franchise of all time.

What they were thinking when they made this ?
That is a good question.

I played through the second trial version over the weekend. It feels like it was another game, a much more gory, violent game before this. And then somebody had the bright idea to slap the FF Dissidia brand on it and turn the gore into crystals and now we have this. Really don't know what to make of this.

The graphics are still very poor, as is the frame rate on quality mode. Nearly unplayable on PS5 in the quality mode, and the horrible aliasing and weird ancient dithering effects persist in both modes, making the game resemble more of a PS3 title at times. I will only comment on the story to the extent that it is written by an alien that has never interacted with another human being before. And that's fine for me.

It is a bizarre experiment and the FF brand seems like a misstep in this instance.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Yeah I think rn Fists are pretty weak conpared to sword classes. Though its just a demo and idk how much prowess will come into play
Try out fists with red mage alt to buff yourself with haste. I do agree that fists normally feel weak and slow, but the attack speed boost really helps it shred because of how fast you can stack up your hit count to get to the fully powered charge attack, which deals a ton of damage. Sword playstyle is definitely easier and safer though I'll give you that. Also the Monk focus skill is amazing. It recharges your stamina extremely quickly, which is a godsend when some of these soul shield blocks wipe out half your stamina bar.

El Crono

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
My main complaint from the first trial was the terrible writing and how one-dimensional all the characters seem. Now that I've seen more of that... oh God, the story is going to be 30 levels of cringe and then some. It's such a shame because the combat and looting mechanics are very enjoyable.

I will stay attentive to the reviews. If somehow they can fix the graphics and performance I think this might be a good purchase. Otherwise I will wait until the first or second discount price.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
Man, this demo was rough. It makes me sad because the game has a ton of potential. It does not seem on track to meet it. The character still feels kind of sluggish and unresponsive. The enemies level design and bosses are woefully inconsistent and the performance is worse. Still crossing my fingers that they can work a miracle in the next few months. If it were up to me they would delay it another 6 months to really polish it.

Edit: I can't believe Jack says "This sucks!" when he dies. It's like this game was written by a seventh grader in 2001.

Last edited:

Thorzilla

Oct 28, 2017
Is this... FFXIII's theme playing in the 2nd map? What Nomura antics will we discover this time, lads?

Oct 25, 2017
Is this... FFXIII's theme playing in the 2nd map? What Nomura antics will we discover this time, lads?

No Nomura antics, probably. The main game is the broad strokes of Final Fantasy 1, but the filler between them is shaded with other Final Fantasy highlights, supposedly. Just adding more flavor to the stretches between the ~7/8 main parts of FF1.

I think it would be interesting to try to predict what extra flavor some of FF1's events or sections will get. The Canoe arc? Cave of Ordeals? Waterfall Cave?

Last edited:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Edit: I can't believe Jack says "This sucks!" when he dies. It's like this game was written by a seventh grader in 2001.
FF7R characters also yell out things like that in battle. I remember Aerith saying "that sucked...!" when she gets hit or something. Pretty cringy.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Sucks to see all the negativity surrounding this game because I genuinely do think it is going to be a good game for the gameplay alone. I'm excited for release