• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
One of beautiful things about science fiction is that it can offer us a much more detached and objective way to view our current problems. By removing these concepts from the contexts we're familiar with, we can divest them of our emotional attachments and assumptions, and consider them in a more rational and logical way. I think that's as true of cyberpunk as it is for the broader science fiction genre.
but with cyberpunk, we're heading towards that future. i don't think it works divorced from contexts we're familiar with. at that point it's just sci-fi.

grady

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
The combat didn't have me particularly jazzed, so if the story refuses to explore the themes and issues of a Cyberpunk universe this game is gonna be lame as hell

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I think people were tossing around the term, "Cyberpop" before.

Basically, chrome-plated hands, cool hackers, and future guns... With no substance or thought put into what things like transhumanism actually mean to the world.
Don't forget femme characters with penises under the guise of diversity and inclusivity but at the expense of trans people.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
One of beautiful things about science fiction is that it can offer us a much more detached and objective way to view our current problems. By removing these concepts from the contexts we're familiar with, we can divest them of our emotional attachments and assumptions, and consider them in a more rational and logical way. I think that's as true of cyberpunk as it is for the broader science fiction genre.
Huh? Whatever you're talking about is definitely not Cyberpunk as a genre.

Rabalder.

Dec 8, 2018
Despite TW3 being one of my favourite games ever, I'm really growing to dislike CDPR. Hopefully Cyberpunk has more than 3 fucking NPC's next time we see it 🤞

Exist 2 Inspire

Powered by Friendship™
Apr 19, 2018
Germany
Does no-one give a shit about context anymore? Maybe people should try reading more than a paragraph.

Here, I'll help:

Well, that certainly looks very different from an Ubisoft "NO POLITIX, ONLY GAMEZ" answer to me. Maybe we should slow our roll on the indignation train...

Yep this sounds pretty different from the framing in the OP.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
im ignorant to the cyberpunk genre which i guess makes me fortunate as far as expectations - i havent really seen anything from CDPR regarding this game that would make this this game was going to do any sort of meaningful exploration of anything

but i guess we're still a few months out

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Does no-one give a shit about context anymore? Maybe people should try reading more than a paragraph.
Here, I'll help:
Well, that certainly looks very different from an Ubisoft "NO POLITIX, ONLY GAMEZ" answer to me. Maybe we should slow our roll on the indignation train...
Refusing to remove, for example, transphobic content from your game under the pretence of "it's art", representing people's "political sympathies" or what they "have to say" still sounds like dog shit to me. The 'indignation train' is like 5 carriages long with past bullshit of theirs so it's pretty rich of you to speak of context in this regard.

Fuck giving them any benefit of the double while they crow about it not being political or art and try to pander with bullshit like inclusivity, while their game and output does the opposite.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Man.
With how shitty and alt-righty CDProjekt is acting with Cyberpunk, I really hope it won't be eligible in time for GOTY.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
but with cyberpunk, we're heading towards that future. i don't think it works divorced from contexts we're familiar with. at that point it's just sci-fi.
Fair point. I guess I see cyberpunk as focused more on fictional politics within the chosen setting in comparison to regular sci fi, but that not changing the basic premise that it's being removed from the contexts we're familiar with. I've always viewed the cyber part of cyberpunk to be entirely about delivering that.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
Bad statement but what do you expect I suppose. I bet the game is actually political as hell, & I it'll probably be really good. They just don't want to alienate any chuds. Worth noting that CDPR is very Polish... it's not exactly surprising at all that they are very middle of the road at best with their statements and outright offensive at worst.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017

And in what way does this stop it from being political?

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
CP2077 is political asf tho. Such a weird statement to make. I remember Mike Pondsmith saying that CP is inherently political.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Bad statement but what do you expect I suppose. I bet the game is actually political as hell, & I it'll probably be really good. They just don't want to alienate any chuds.
I mean they have consistently pandered to chuds and the game does the same, so it seems less not wanting to alienate and more wanting to reassure.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Let's remember some "non political" games

www.eurogamer.net

EA "not making any political statements" about WW2 in Battlefield 5

Battlefield 5 will change the name of a new, premium German WW2 avatar, but says it isn't making any political statements with the game.

www.polygon.com

Tom Clancy’s The Division 2 ‘is not making any political statements’

A game about the next Civil War refuses to take a side

www.gamespot.com

The Outer Worlds Is Not A "Politically Charged" Game, Co-Director Says

It's supposed to be fun and humorous, Leonard Boyarsky says; get all the details here.

www.pcgamer.com

Infinity Ward says Modern Warfare isn't political

Developers want to examine topics like colonialism, proxy wars, and power imbalance in a totally non-political way.

Game studios are hilariously cowardly and utterly shameless. "We want to exploit real world events and situations to increase interest in our product, but don't want to offend the fragile sensibilities of people who are clearly going to be on the wrong side of history."

What a miserable industry.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
I mean they have consistently pandered to chuds and the game does the same, so it seems less not wanting to alienate and more wanting to reassure.
Yeah that is true. As I updated in my other post, CDPR is incredibly Polish, which is not exactly the most socially liberal place, so this is unsurprising albeit disappointing nonetheless.

JChung55

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Here, I'll help:

Its ERA bruh, no one bothers reading the article and everyone just wants to react

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Man.
With how shitty and alt-righty CDProjekt is acting with Cyberpunk, I really hope it won't be eligible in time for GOTY.
Even if it is, we got this
giphy.webp

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Video games, particularly AAA video games seem to be forever stuck in the juvenile state they started out in. One day they'll grow up and mature but I've been playing them since the ZX Spectrum and they just keep refusing to. It's very depressing. I have been anticipating this based on how much I enjoyed The Witcher 3 but goddamn they don't want me to buy it apparently.

flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Every time this company opens their mouth about this game it's a bad fucking look. I've lost any hope that they'll tackle the themes of Cyberpunk with any of the nuance or gravitas that it deserves. Holy crap what a botch.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Really reconsidering my pre-order. I don't wanna support this studio anymore, gave them the benefit of the doubt but this and recent events just states their opinions very loudly.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they'd describe The Witcher 3 as not political, too, because...yeah, that game's real fucking political.

I have a hard time believing Cyberpunk isn't packed with political commentary, even if unintentionally as a result of the genre choice, but it's really disappointing to see how CDPR has behaved regarding this game. At best they come off as cowards afraid to stand by their own work.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

Here, I'll help:

It's still a shit quote no matter how much context there is. Like why is the response to "have you had to change anything because of BLM or the events in the US" "we aren't making a political statement"? That's still a bad response.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
User banned (1 month): threadwhining around sensitive issues, prior ban for threadwhining and false equivalency

Here, I'll help:

Thread should be closed, it was clearly created in bad faith. It takes something entirely out of context to portray the developers in a bad light in order to incite the usual mob.

Oct 25, 2017
These companies will put out statements like BLM and preach for gay and trans rights, but then say stuff like this about their games.

It's about appeasing two groups of people. These companies are scared of the bigots for various reasons. Scared of death threats, afraid they'll lose money. OR they actually side with them but need to tow a line.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
"a closed statement"

So something is only "political" if it's specifically about current events/modern life

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
They probablyv saw Blade Runner and was like "cool neon lights" we wanna do that!!

Cyberpunk 20XX is already an pre-existing universe. Although I'm starting to doubt that Cyberpunk 20XX series creator Mike Pondsmith had much creative influence over this project overall as is supposedly implied.

How else can you explain why CDPR keeps tripping over themselves. I wonder if even Pondsmith regrets giving CDPR the Cyberpunk 20XX license at this point.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I wonder if they'd describe The Witcher 3 as not political, too, because...yeah, that game's real fucking political.

That's what baffles me. The Witcher is a game where you're literally an outcast who is treated like dirt unless you have something valuable to offer. Pogroms in which non-humans are brutally killed figure heavily in the story and among certain characters. Aristocracy is full of corruption and does terrible things to people. It's soaked in politics.

So it's either:
A) They don't want to talk about the politics because they've already been criticized for their handling of various topics, and those politics are going to end up being pretty shitty or ill thought out, so it's better to not draw any attention to it and hope that people just forget in the glow of the spectacle of the game.
or
B) They are so concerned about the politics of Poland and "gamers" that they want to make sure they don't step on any toes, and want to make sure everyone buys it. Aka; money over everything. Which would make them cowards and best.

R1CHO

Oct 28, 2017
They are trying to be a mainstream hit. So I guess social commentary is kind of a secondary objective.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
That's what baffles me. The Witcher is a game where you're literally an outcast who is treated like dirt unless you have something valuable to offer. Pogroms in which non-humans are brutally killed figure heavily in the story and among certain characters. Aristocracy is full of corruption and does terrible things to people. It's soaked in politics.

So it's either:
A) They don't want to talk about the politics because they've already been criticized for their handling of various topics, and those politics are going to end up being pretty shitty or ill thought out, so it's better to not draw any attention to it and hope that people just forget in the glow of the spectacle of the game.
or
B) They are so concerned about the politics of Poland and "gamers" that they want to make sure they don't step on any toes, and want to make sure everyone buys it. Aka; money over everything. Which would make them cowards and best.
Definitely B

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
Have you had to change any content in the game, including in quests, influenced by recent events in the US and the Black Lives Matter movement?

The important point is that we already have the game recorded at this stage, actually for a long time. This is the last stage in which we do not change anything in the story we are telling, add nothing or remove anything. These events, as you yourself have noticed, took place very recently.

The second point is, for us, Cyberpunk and The Witcher are games that show our philosophy as studies. The game we're working on is a largely entertainment medium, but for us it's also art - a work that shows our vision. It is difficult for me to imagine the events that would have to happen for us to suddenly find that we are changing or moving something in order not to touch any specific elements.

Anyway, I think you saw elements in the game that touch it, so you could find out for yourself. For me, the most important thing is that our game is a closed work and it is not a political statement, a political thesis.

As a studio, we are such an amalgam of different people who have different approaches to political, religious, spiritual and internal life, also when it comes to sexual orientations or political sympathies. As a studio, we always try to cultivate openness and approach it in such a way that everyone can have a say and that each of these shades can be represented, as long as it is, of course, within the law and reason - so that each player can find here something for yourself and find answers to your own questions.

For me and my team, the game is a work of art and I always stick to it, and I always repeat it to my designers. I don't feel like I'm producing something, I feel more like painting a picture or making music, stories, movies. This is art to me, and art is the stories we tell the player, and that's the most important thing to us.
The full question and answer in case anyone was interested.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I am pretty sure they are trying to make the case that cyberpunk is political within its own fictional bubble, but does not deal with real world politics.

I personally think that is a very bizarre look on the cyberpunk genre since its always had a narrative on current politics, it just happens that the political situations never really changed. it was shit in the 80's and its shit now, so a lot of the cyberpunk genre is still very relevant.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Even if it is, we got this
giphy.webp

I want TLoU2 to win just for the sheer meltdowns. I can see so many of theae bigots saying it was rigged if it does wib and calling the press "SJW pandering liars" or saying TLoU2 was "fake deep". Tho I am still hyped for CP2077 and really hopes it properly explores the themes its based off it.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
The Urban Sprawl trilogy is still my favorite Cyberpunk media, though I love his other work also (I will also go to the grave and will die on the hill that both Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive are as good as Neuromancer and are criminally overlooked in favor of just the first book in what is actually a trilogy that needs to be read to understand the implications that Neuromancer only set up)

Never read anything else Sprawl related outside Neuromancer (Case wasn't a main character, and I guess I was Case-or-bust back then). Thought they were all disconnected, had no idea that Neuromancer was actually that important to them.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Look I'm a big fan of cyberpunk (especially when it has something to say) and while the "traditional" setup can't be apolitical it's perfectly possible for cyberpunk to have nothing to say. It can be as shallow as any other genre, it doesn't have to address transhumanism or corporations or wealth inequality. It's immensely limiting, for whats already a niche genre, for people to trot out "It's cyberpunk lol" as if anything in the genre has a responsibility to say something or that it should all be rehashed Blade Runner. Cyberpunk fiction can absolutely be apolitical, I mean the world setup this game is shilling cant be so in that context its nonsense but the genre is not inherently political. I mean based on the ludicrously narrow definitions people are throwing around you'd have to fuck out half of Bruce Sterling's seminal Mirrorshades anthology.

As an aside political is starting to feel like a nonsense term. I don't think we quite need to start busting out dictionary definitions like a previous poster but the term has become so nebulous that it wouldnt be surprising that confusion over it springs up e.g. if a piece of art has strong themes and commentary about society is that a social stance or a political one? Is it both? I think most people would have their own answer to that question and all would likely be correct. In short if it was anyone else given the language barrier some benefit of the doubt might be in order. But to be clear I think CDPR, given their appalling track record, deserve absolutely no such concession and I personally have zero doubt what market they are trying to attract with comments like this.

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
User banned (1 month): Dismissing concerns around bigotry
I have a hard time taking seriously online game publications that just Google Translate interviews.

Also

29c.jpg