SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
This is from Patrick Mills, a quest designer at CDPR

Developing something new doesn't mean forgetting its essence and what was important about it. Pondsmith's tabletop games touched on politics, painting a bleak future for our world, and CD Projekt Red isn't shying away from that. "Cyberpunk 2020 was created as a response to the Reagan and Thatcher era," Mills explains. "Then we all kind of got distracted and decided that that whole image of the future is kitsch, but I don't know if you've turned on the news lately, it wound up coming true. I think it's more relevant than ever and it's an interesting task bringing it into the modern era."

www.gameinformer.com

Diving Deeper Into Kingdom Hearts III And Cyberpunk 2077

Kim shares more about her two most anticipated games.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Let's remember some "non political" games

www.eurogamer.net

EA "not making any political statements" about WW2 in Battlefield 5

Battlefield 5 will change the name of a new, premium German WW2 avatar, but says it isn't making any political statements with the game.

www.polygon.com

Tom Clancy’s The Division 2 ‘is not making any political statements’

A game about the next Civil War refuses to take a side

www.gamespot.com

The Outer Worlds Is Not A "Politically Charged" Game, Co-Director Says

It's supposed to be fun and humorous, Leonard Boyarsky says; get all the details here.

www.pcgamer.com

Infinity Ward says Modern Warfare isn't political

Developers want to examine topics like colonialism, proxy wars, and power imbalance in a totally non-political way.

Imagine being so fucking dense to think that a story about WAR has nothing to do with POLITICS.

Uuuuuuuuuggggghhhh...

xaosslug

Oct 27, 2017
how can you call anything "punk" and it not be political? Do y'all even know what punk is? lmao Clearly, they think it's just a cool aesthetic. Yikes.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
This is not possible, and I highly doubt it is true.People are afraid of getting The Last of Us 2 treatment.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Not trying to lend credence to things being "apolitical", but has a game ever benefited from tying itself down something like a political statement or message?

I think the most recent example of a game publicly being a statement was Wolfenstein: New Colossus, as they were very much pushing the whole anti-fascism aspect of it. Zenimax was clearly not impressed with the sales of it, though I can't speak to whether the politics of it had ANYTHING to do with it. I can only assume companies will do their best to avoid the question and if pressed on it, will just say "no this is not a statement" to not scare off any potential buyers.

If there are any examples of a game pre-release being pushed as having a statement and it seemingly improving the reception/sales, I'd be curious to hear about it.
This isn't about that though, it's specifically in response to the bigots whining about tlou2, and the "politics and agendas" that ruined the game.
My hype for this game wanes with every new thing we learn about it. I love cyberpunk as a setting and subgenre so much, but this is not it, chieftains.
Easy skip for me.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
I'm feeling like the marketing teams of most video game companies (and some developers) are at a complete loss about our current times. As very recently seen with TLOU 2, bigots scream very loudly, but are not the market with which you'll actually make money...

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
This is from Patrick Mills, a quest designer at CDPR

www.gameinformer.com

Diving Deeper Into Kingdom Hearts III And Cyberpunk 2077

Kim shares more about her two most anticipated games.
I feel like it's case of foot in mouth where what they meant to say that the game makes no statement on extremely recent political events. As it's literally impossible to watch like, five minutes of game footage without a statement being made in some way, shape, or form.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Sincerly wondering, can a game (or any other media) be 'political' while not be a 'political statement'? (I wonder because to me they are related but not the same)
Definitely. It's the "fly on the wall" approach. A story can observe any social, economic, etc. phenomenon without taking sides, letting the viewer draw their own conclusions. These stories are inherently political, as most things are, but lack a clear statement.

Whether this is true for Cyberpunk, I don't know. But reducing this PR line to "no politics in muh video games" feels like straw man.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Aren't they just saying that they don't make a statement to current political / social events ?

I suppose they mean that whilst the essence of Cyberpunk will include politics in it's portrayal of a particular society, that's not their driving force behind making the game. They may of simply enjoyed the original Cyberpunk material and decided they wanted to make a game from it.

This is my guess, as a machine translation could be stripping out context to what they mean. Cyberpunk is inherently political - there isn't a way for it to be "not political", even if CDPR wanted to try. And we've already seen enough of the game to know that Cyberpunk's inherent politics are in there in spades.

I think sometimes people conflate "being political" with "contemporary political themes". Tons of games have political viewpoints, consciously or unconsciously. Not every game has political viewpoints that analogize current events. This causes PR people and publishers to run for the hills, because they don't want to be seen as alienating ~40% of the country, and thus ~40% of their potential customer-base.

This is not possible. People are afraid of getting The Last of Us 2 treatment.

Exactly. They're terrified of their game becoming another football in the culture war like TLOU2 did, which is when people feel compelled to "pick a side", vow boycotts, flood negative reviews, etc.

Whether this is true for Cyberpunk, I don't know. But reducing this PR line to "no politics in muh video games" feels like straw man.

Indeed.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
CANNOT WAIT for people to praise this game's writing for how "forward thinking" it is while conveniently forgetting statements like these lol

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
video games are the only art form where the creators are barred or refuse from making "political" statements with their art.

Deleted member 38361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 14, 2018
I'm not buying it. Even Mike Pondsmith himself quoted "everything is political, including his game". I just don't believe he'll let his vision be overtaken. If it does after I gave played the game I'll have alot to say then. Looking forward to read the "World of Cyberpunk" book that'll be releasing soon.

Bish_Bosch

Apr 30, 2018
I mean the best case scenario is that this is just going to trick people into playing a politically radical game under false pretenses but its CDPR so I doubt that's true.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Watch Dogs Legion by Ubisoft of all publishers, more Cyberpunk than Cyberpunk 2077. Interesting.

4LkJ0QL.png
i sorta of get what they are saying? Less twitter hot takes & more of talking as to how oppressive systems come about. I think That's what is being said? I really don't know? But like an apolitical cyberpunk game? Why is it even called cyberpunk?

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Games are inherently political. Anyone who says otherwise if full of shit full stop.
Basically my thoughts on the matter. Everything we do is political because we take part in a political society whether any conscious thought is given (with regard to the act of partaking in that society) or not.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Cyberpunk is defined as:
Cyberpunk is a subgenre of science fiction in a dystopian futuristic setting that tends to focus on a "combination of low-life and high tech"[1] featuring advanced technological and scientific achievements, such as artificial intelligence and cybernetics, juxtaposed with a degree of breakdown or radical change in the social order.

en.wikipedia.org

Cyberpunk - Wikipedia

Setting your game in a dystopia is a political statement.
Setting your game in the future is a political statement.
Setting your game where AI and cybernetics is at odds with the social order is a political statement.

Sorry CDPR, what you mean to say is "we don't want anyone to not buy this because they think we're judging them". Cyberpunk by its very nature is a criticism of run away capitalism that results in corporations running things. I can't speak to the table top stuff whatsoever but it's pretty damn confusing for them to the point where I have to hope this is lost in translation.

Watch Dogs Legion by Ubisoft of all publishers, more Cyberpunk than Cyberpunk 2077. Interesting.

Eh Ubisoft still wants their games not to be political while having literal quotations in their games like "Welcome to the Resistance". I think they are far worse since this is a repeated pattern from them. Whether or not Legion ends up being more of a cyberpunk game, I can't answer that.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I'm feeling like the marketing teams of most video game companies (and some developers) are at a complete loss about our current time. As very recently seen with TLOU 2, bigots scream very loudly, but are not the market with which you'll actually make money...
True. I don't get the fear of making a "political" videogame or putting a message into it.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
I don't speak Polish, but taking this sort of answer out of context seems pointless...when there are other valid reasons for criticism. This guy doesn't think, at least in his opinion, that the game was made to present a specific political statement or thesis. It may be true that the whole team of writers didn't suddenly sit down in a room and consciously decide that the entire game had to transmit one unified political message, but this doesn't mean there is no possible thematic or philosophical reading, whether intentional or otherwise, to be found in particular quest lines or story arcs and thus it's all empty. That conclusion sounds silly to me.

We know that almost every work of fiction can be freely interpreted by its audience, both politically and otherwise. The initial question was whether they had changed anything in the game due to some very recent events in the United States, like the ongoing BLM protests. Considering the voice acting was recorded a long time ago, I doubt they could seriously alter the main script to address such issues at this point, even if they wanted to do so (outside of a post-release patch or expansion, but I digress).

That said, I could agree his answer may sound ideologically cowardly in a sense, but that tells me more about him and the sort of PR considerations he wishes to prioritize in a pre-release interview, rather than a final judgment about a game made by a full team.

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
Lol being apolitical is a political statement you fucking idiots. God their approach to this game has been shit all around.

Its amazing that the medium that wants itself to be taken seriously as being art basically wants no analysis
Especially funny when The Witcher is all about the whole "not choosing a side is choosing a side"

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't speak Polish, but taking this sort of answer out of context seems pointless...when there are other valid reasons for criticism. This guy doesn't think, at least in his opinion, that the game was made to present a specific political statement or thesis. It may be true that the whole team of writers didn't suddenly sit down in a room and consciously decide that the entire game had to transmit one unified political message, but this doesn't mean there is no possible thematic or philosophical reading, whether intentional or otherwise, to be found in particular quest lines or story arcs and thus it's all empty. That conclusion sounds silly to me.

We know that almost every work of fiction can be freely interpreted by its audience, both politically and otherwise. The initial question was whether they had changed anything in the game due to some very recent events in the United States, like the ongoing BLM protests. Considering the voice acting was recorded a long time ago, I doubt they could seriously alter the main script to address such issues at this point, even if they wanted to do so (outside of a post-release patch or expansion, but I digress).

That said, I could agree his answer may sound ideologically cowardly in a sense, but that tells me more about him and the sort of PR considerations he wishes to prioritize in a pre-release interview, rather than a final judgment about a game made by a full team.
That's how I've taken that google translate. The game itself isn't meant to drawing a line in the sand, but things going on it might be interpreted that way.
Still not a good line, even if only made for cowardice

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
They're hiding behind "it's not directly about the exact current political environment" in order to say "it's not political". For the same reason Ubi did it, and as mentioned in this thread. They want the money of conservative gamers. So they have to do a PR dance so they don't get offended. Once they get the game, the points would fly over their heads anyways (cool neon lights!). We've seen this so many times.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I'm pretty sure Cyberpunk is going to touch several themes because it's not possible to make a game in this setting without talking about corporations, religion, transhumanism etc...

They are just trying to dodge the " political game = bad" narrative like pretty much every publisher out there.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Its only "not political" when they are being slammed for their transphobia

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Hey bigots, please still buy our game, we know you are angry that you can kinda play a trans character in our game, but we also fucked trans
representation up, so in the end our game is a bit shallow and doesn't know what it wants to be.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Eh Ubisoft still wants their games not to be political while having literal quotations in their games like "Welcome to the Resistance". I think they are far worse since this is a repeated pattern from them. Whether or not Legion ends up being more of a cyberpunk game, I can't answer that.
That's why I said by a publisher named Ubisoft. They might have said they don't want their games to be political, but as far as I can tell, Watch Dogs 2 and likely 3 is, and it doesn't sugar coat it. I finished a mission where the black character was treated different and acknowledge that he's treated different, also the whole mega corporation using power, influence, and police/army to get their way. They even had the whole predictive crime angle that Minority Report, and West World did (before WW did it).

Ubisoft may want things to be a certain way, but WD devs don't seem to care.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Hahahaha god this game gets worse with every PR statement.

Like, what the hell.

This has gone from my most anticipated game from years to maybe buy from a sale, i can't believe how shitty this turn of events has been.

Then what are you doing making a cyberpunk game?

Right?

If you want to play this ridiculous card, the Cyberpunk genre is literally the worst place to fit it.

This is is getting pathetic.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hey bigots, please still buy our game, we know you are angry that you can kinda play a trans character in our game, but we also fucked trans
representation up, so in the end our game is a bit shallow and doesn't know what it wants to be.
What did they do regarding transphobia?

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
That's why I said by a publisher named Ubisoft. They might have said they don't want their games to be political, but as far as I can tell, Watch Dogs 2 and likely 3 is, and it doesn't sugar coat it. I finished a mission where the black character was treated different and acknowledge that he's treated different, also the whole mega corporation using power, influence, and police/army to get their way. They even had the whole predictive crime angle that Minority Report, and West World did (before WW did it).

Ubisoft may want things to be a certain way, but WD devs don't seem to care.

Oh okay, I see what you're saying and I agree.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Here's Pondsmith's thoughts on his creation:

Personally, I think any game that is set in either modern times or a vision of our future is inherently political in ways, because individual players are going to judge aspects of the story in different ways given their political views. The CDPR designer is probably trying to toe the line and not upset the unfortunately huge amount of gaming consumers who watch ridiculous hateful YouTube channels and the like. You know, the kind who lose their senses because you have to play as a woman in a game who doesn't have huge bouncing breasts.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
The quote is by the lead quest designer on the game.

I think was Crossing Eden in that he's saying they aren't touching on the more recent BLM movement, and in particular George Floyd. Which makes sense given that by the time it all happened the game should've been in the polishing stages where they aren't really adding significant new content to it. I'm not actually sure you could make a cyberpunk game that isn't political.