• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
And how's his support like?

Also, I recall reading that this inaction may be a legitimate tactics to kill off the natives who trying to protect parts of amazon from certain destruction.

BetoJR

Apr 27, 2020
Fortaleza - CE, Brazil
That fucking scum can continue to and perhaps even escalate the amount of damage he is doing in that time.
That is, legitimately, the worst part in all of this. I have no idea when I'll get my shot (even if I'm on a "priority" list for medical reasons), my wife even less so and my dad (who's 74, and has Alzheimer's and some other kinds of comorbidity) is still waiting for his, too - there's just no way I can take him to a vaccination site, since he won't even wear a mask at home.

We're all just toughing it out, hoping to stay alive long enough.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Can't this dirtbag be impeached & removed or anything?

Fucking hell. This far into it, how can anyone -- especially someone in charge of running a country -- be this cavalier about COVID? Horrific situation.

Look at others like Boris Johnson & Donald Trump.

You know what's incredibly awful?

That despite the shockingly high amount of deaths related to Covid-19 and mismanagement from the pandemic from this fascist piece of shit, he still has thousands and thousands of supporters who don't care or will make any excuse for him.

Uh-huh, just like Trump.

Last edited:

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
That is, legitimately, the worst part in all of this. I have no idea when I'll get my shot (even if I'm on a "priority" list for medical reasons), my wife even less so and my dad (who's 74, and has Alzheimer's and some other kinds of comorbidity) is still waiting for his, too - there's just no way I can take him to a vaccination site, since he won't even wear a mask at home.

We're all just toughing it out, hoping to stay alive long enough.

I am really sorry to hear that. It Recently, I have both read here and also heard directly from an acquaintance that one person they know each, had contracted (and thankfully survived) COVID in between the doses. So, bottom line is that two doses are the requirement to significantly reduce the chance of contracting COVID. So, there is already a degree of self care involved in between the shots and Bolsonaro and co. are making an already precarious situation far more lethal.

Fuck this PoS and his servile sociopathic sycophants.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Look at others like Boris Johnson & Donald Trump.
One of them is no longer in office, and the other is presiding over one of the world's most protracted lockdowns. Boris changed his tune about COVID, and while Trump never did, he got voted out largely because of his COVID response. Bolsonaro is still in power and still denying even the most basic facts about the pandemic. He's way more damaging than those other two managed to be, on balance.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
The variants are nasty and a lot more contageous. Covid is not going to go down without a fight.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
The Brazilian strain sounds very serious too.

But it's not just that more people are dying — it's that patients are now arriving far sicker. The patient profile is also changing. Younger people are needing more intensive care — and dying at higher rates.

The mortality rate among patients aged 18-45 has positively soared, according to a nationwide survey by the Brazilian Association of Intensive Medicine. https://t.co/CoYAT520bl

But the mortality rate has risen among all patients, too. Nearly 73 percent of patients on mechanics ventilators are now dying, compared with 60 percent at the beginning of the pandemic. https://t.co/GFO0Ti0yXt

Half of patients — half! — younger than 45 put on a mechanical ventilator now aren't making it. https://t.co/31xAxvkueK

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
The Brazilian strain sounds very serious too.

Right - the P1 variant is literally Bolsonaro's gift to the world and highlights how important a coordinated international effort is, because one asshole can fuck it up for every one.

P1 variant not only is much more infectious and likely causes more severe disease, but seems to be escaping vaccination and natural immunity as well.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I agree with this guy. I discovered I never really felt hate in my life before Bolsonaro, just anger. Hate is much stronger.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
If the P1 spreads world wide - and I don't think we can really control this as the last year has shown - won't we have a virtual reset to times before the vaccines? I read they will be faster in combating new variants, but that sounds... not so great to say the least.
Yes, but the hope is that the mRNA based vaccine platforms mean Pfizer and Moderna can re-code vaccines in short order to compensate for these mutations (though if we wanted to clinically trial them, that would create major delays).

But that's exactly the point the tweet is making - this variant in particular is going to be devastating to the progress the world has made, and we probably should be treating it as seriously as when COVID first arrived.

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
Wow. That's horrific. If you adjust for population sizes that's the equivalent of 6500 a day in the US, which is almost 50% higher than the US reached (4480). That's terrifying.

I wonder if Brazil's numbers are cooked as much as the US numbers (with states like Florida lowering their Covid deaths by about 1/3 by not categorizing them as such). Probably way more.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
If the P1 spreads world wide - and I don't think we can really control this as the last year has shown - won't we have a virtual reset to times before the vaccines? I read they will be faster in combating new variants, but that sounds... not so great to say the least.
And this is why what we should have done in the beginning is stamp out international travel. One of the reasons why the last Global Pandemic the Spanish Flu died out because people could not just travel around the world as easy thus leading to less infections and less mutations. Covid has not only more people it can infect because we have a larger population in 2021 compared to 1919, but more of the world can easily get infected because of ease of travel.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
And this is why what we should have done in the beginning is stamp out international travel. One of the reasons why the last Global Pandemic the Spanish Flu died out because people could not just travel around the world as easy thus leading to less infections and less mutations. Covid has not only more people it can infect because we have a larger population in 2021 compared to 1919, but more of the world can easily get infected because of ease of travel.

It's useless, even here many people say they're already travelling like the variants aren't a thing (or are only in Brazil/South Africa).

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
What is it with tough guy morons. They always come across as fucking whining babies shirking all responsibility, but their fans see them as alpha male heroes. Fucking nuts.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
P1 variant not only is much more infectious and likely causes more severe disease, but seems to be escaping vaccination and natural immunity as well.

The best scientific evidence we have about vaccine efficacy on the Brazilian variant is the Johnson & Johnson Phase III trial. It showed similar vaccine efficacy in Brazil vs the US.
Efficacy in Brazil was slightly lower for preventing moderate disease and slightly higher for preventing severe disease, but in both cases the difference was not statistically significant.

RWWK05g.png

And as usual, I should mention it was 100% effective against death for all variants.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
The best scientific evidence we have about vaccine efficacy on the Brazilian variant is the Johnson & Johnson Phase III trial. It showed similar vaccine efficacy in Brazil vs the US.
Efficacy in Brazil was slightly lower for preventing moderate disease and slightly higher for preventing severe disease, but in both cases the difference was not statistically significant.

RWWK05g.png

And as usual, I should mention it was 100% effective against death for all variants.
You're right and I appreciate the data too. I think the concerns about repeat infection and potential vaccine resistance come out of Manaus in Brazil that had enormous first and second wave infection rates developing huge P1 problems when researchers felt it should have had sufficient population immunity from prior infection to prevent it.

do we know from the J&J trial whether P1 was prevalent there during the trial?

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
The worst part is this fucking nothing has millions of followers who do the most vile shit possible like organizing "protests in cars" honking in front of hospitals nonstop because they are a bunch of covid deniers.
My boss is one of those motherfuckers and he says stuff like "it's just 3k people it's nothing" or "i believe more people should die, this is gods way to cleanse the earth from weak people".
Yeap.

Brazil is doomed right now we need a sudden wake up or else the world is fucked too

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe 1 stupid asshole in Brazil is going to fuck up the whole world.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
He's a sociopath and everyone in the world is well aware of it at this point, except for half of the brazilian voters.

I just can't fathom this piece of garbage being reelected after actively working to kill as many people as possible in the pandemics, if that happens I don't know if I can tolerate living here anymore.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I wont be in peace until the name of this piece of shit is in every history book as one of the evilest people to ever govern a state
We already committed the mistake of not talking enough about the military dictatorship in brazilian istory books, it is very important that no one ever forgets what happens when you put such person in power

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
You're right and I appreciate the data too. I think the concerns about repeat infection and potential vaccine resistance come out of Manaus in Brazil that had enormous first and second wave infection rates developing huge P1 problems when researchers felt it should have had sufficient population immunity from prior infection to prevent it.

do we know from the J&J trial whether P1 was prevalent there during the trial?

P.2 would have been the most prevalent in Brazil at that time. If you want to project effectiveness against P.1, it might be better to start with the South African data. P.1 shares almost the same set of spike protein binding domain mutations as B.1.351, and that variant made up 90%+ of cases in South Africa.

Regarding the observations in Manaus, what makes me a little skeptical is the fact that it is all based on projections using antibody levels from blood donors. If there are really thousands of people experiencing reinfections there, it seems like we ought to have a large body of clinically proven reinfections, so I'm wondering why we aren't hearing about that.

Dustlander

Dec 25, 2017
Brazil
Living through this hell on a daily basis has slowly been destroying whatever is left of my mental health. This shit is absolutely horrifying.

Fuck this genocidal monster so goddamn much. Being gay, I've knew how much of a vile asshole he was for ages now, but to think he'd be president one day and make me, my family, friends, the whole country live through this nightmare is unbelieavable. Man, I feel so tired.

Grenouille

Nov 26, 2017
P.2 would have been the most prevalent in Brazil at that time. If you want to project effectiveness against P.1, it might be better to start with the South African data. P.1 shares almost the same set of spike protein binding domain mutations as B.1.351, and that variant made up 90%+ of cases in South Africa.

Regarding the observations in Manaus, what makes me a little skeptical is the fact that it is all based on projections using antibody levels from blood donors. If there are really thousands of people experiencing reinfections there, it seems like we ought to have a large body of clinically proven reinfections, so I'm wondering why we aren't hearing about that.
Do we have any solid data on reinfections? Last time I searched, numbers seemed very low. This is relevant to me cause I had covid last year.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do we have any solid data on reinfections? Last time I searched, numbers seemed very low. This is relevant to me cause I had covid last year.
last month article, sorry for google translate:

"Through mathematical modeling, crossing genomic and mortality data, the CADDE team calculates that P.1. be between 1.4 and 2.2 times more transmissible than the versions that preceded it. The Scientists also estimate that, in part of the individuals already infected with Sars-CoV-2 - somewhere between 25% and 61% -, the new variant can circumvent the immune system and cause a new infection.
The modeling work was done in collaboration with researchers from Imperial College London (United Kingdom).

Read more at: https://saude.abril.com.br/medicina...ria-mais-transmissivel-e-causaria-reinfeccao/"

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017
Where are those who supported Dilma's impeachment and helped to put this lunatic in power now?
If you think having Dilma in power for two more years with weekly demonstrations in the streets, record unemployment and a raging recession would have somehow prevented Bolsonaro being elected President you know very little about Brazil.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
"They call me genocidal," he says, and then completely talks around it rather than actually denying it.

Anaron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
you know what's incredibly awful?

that despite the shockingly high amount of deaths related to Covid-19 and mismanagement from the pandemic from this fascist piece of shit, he still has thousands and thousands of supporters who don't care or will make any excuse for him.
Yup

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Why would supporting Dilma's impeachment be tantamount to Bolsonaro support?

Because they were saying #Bolsonaro2018 by then.

If you think having Dilma in power for two more years with weekly demonstrations in the streets, record unemployment and a raging recession would have somehow prevented Bolsonaro being elected President you know very little about Brazil.

But where they are NOW when everything is worse?

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Going by the chart it looks like Brazil is still in their second wave and they're stuck with this idiot in charge for another year (or so). That's not good.