• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Venuslulu

Oct 28, 2017
As an actual fan of Stadia, I think google really fucking fumbled the bag when it came to building gaming studios.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I am just sad to see some of these executives getting millions for basically nothing. I mean 90% of Era members would manage to do better.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Yet more and more are stepping over to stadia instead/waitiing of investing in ps5
tenor.gif

Do you work for Google by any chance?

OnionPowder

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
If you read the descriptions on the pedestal below you can tell it's a 'shop.
Ah, that's true. I was thinking there was no way it could be real anyways. Lol.
It's real

www.gamesindustry.biz

Stadia's issues were clear from the start | This Week in Business

With Stadia Games and Entertainment no longer a going concern, let's take a look back to the day it was announced at th…

Edit ah the tweet source is better above

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I always thought it was odd how intent they were on rushing it. Could have easily just pottered away making new games, testing things few ready to go. Did they expect a mass snowballing effect if they went hard and fast? It's not like Microsoft is even there yet either.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
You are misremembering. Although you could play Stadia in a browser with a Bluetooth controller from day 1, to do that, you had to be a Stadia subscriber, and to be a Stadia subscriber, you had to purchase a pack. For anyone who didn't purchase a pack, on day one, Stadia was inaccessible. It was inaccessible even to some people who did purchase a pack as Google took a while to send out codes.
Ahhhh, you're right. Completely forgot that's how they rolled it out. Thanks for the correction!

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
The entire thing from the start always felt to me like a solution in search of a problem. Would't be the first time a potentially interesting technology is sort of sent out to market prematurely because the actual business end of it is half baked. I just never understood who this was for? The Venn diagram overlap of people who are A)interested in big budget AAA games like Cyberpunk and Assassin's Creed, especially running in 4K or on top of the line PC equipment which is how they initially really marketed this thing and B) find buying a console or building a PC to be way too much of an obstacle seems microscopic if not non-existent.

I just don't think that prospective audience exists right now in any meaningful way, certainly not significant enough to support the type of endeavor Google was positioning Stadia to be. Maybe in 5-10 years as technology and consumer expectations evolve, but certainly not now. In a world where Playstation, Switches and Xboxes are flying off shelves, and PC gaming seems to be on an uptick, what evidence is there that this audience of AAA/core gamers who don't want hardware exists (again, in a meaningful enough way to support this as a business model)?

PiranhaMan

Apr 26, 2020
I will always question these "It's the future/revolution of the gaming industry" bits especially if it is made by a company that has not been in the gaming industry for decades.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Ubisoft and TakeTwo made bank. Tens of millions per port for major AAA games.

Considering how much Ubisoft put on Stadia, they must have made bank and Google got ripped hard considering how low the install base is over there.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
oh hey, it's Stadia News day lol

When you realize that video games are a brand new industry that's only existed for something like 3 or 4 years, it makes sense that big tech giants can't comprehend the amount of work involved in making games. It's uncharted territory.

Wait, what do you mean video games have existed for a while? Since the 1970s?

tEp8P1h.gif

ReggieBC

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They pulled the plug on this thing pretty quick all things considered.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

LMAO I didn't even know The Division 2 was available on Stadia

While I agree with the general premise unless Google was willing to wait quite some time I'm not sure how giving 1 million to 20 different studios would help them in the short-term given how long it takes to make a game.
Stardew Valley, which was used as one of the examples, took 4.5 years to make. I don't think you can launch a streaming device and then tell people to wait 18 months let alone 2-4 years for content.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
While I agree with the general premise unless Google was willing to wait quite some time I'm not sure how giving 1 million to 20 different studios would help them in the short-term given how long it takes to make a game.
Stardew Valley, which was used as one of the examples, took 4.5 years to make. I don't think you can launch a streaming device and then tell people to wait 18 months let alone 2-4 years for content.

That's why you pay people to make games BEFORE you launch.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Do you remember the rumour google was partnering with SEGA to utilise their old IP?

Lol

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I just never understood who this was for? The Venn diagram overlap of people who are A)interested in big budget AAA games like Cyberpunk and Assassin's Creed, especially running in 4K or on top of the line PC equipment which is how they initially really marketed this thing and B) find buying a console or building a PC to be way too much of an obstacle seems microscopic if not non-existent.
Yes, this is the question that Google as a company (and Stadia as a platform) never had an answer for.

The closest it gets to making sense is the idea that if people have a choice between a ~€500 console platform with native games and a ~€0 platform that streams the same games with some acceptable level of compromise, they'll pick the cheaper platform over the console. If all things were equal, that idea might work out pretty well. However, if the €0 streaming platform is missing a big pile of games, then it can't act as a replacement for the console and if it's not a replacement then suddenly the whole model is at risk.

That's probably why Google were paying over the odds for ports - they needed Stadia's library to look as much like the library of the other consoles as possible, and as quickly as possible before the new consoles arrived and started building their own userbase.

In a world where Playstation, Switches and Xboxes are flying off shelves, and PC gaming seems to be on an uptick, what evidence is there that this audience of AAA/core gamers who don't want hardware exists (again, in a meaningful enough way to support this as a business model)?
I imagine that the way that this worked in some internal Google presentation was that whoever was proposing Stadia made an argument that went something like this:

There's no evidence that gamers don't want hardware. There can't ever be evidence that gamers don't want hardware until gamers have the option of a successful streaming platform that isn't tied to hardware, and they don't right now. By the time there's a successful streaming platform, it'll be too late for us to launch one. If we want to be the successful streaming platform, we need to launch first, without waiting for evidence.

Ubisoft and TakeTwo made bank. Tens of millions per port for major AAA games.

Considering how much Ubisoft put on Stadia, they must have made bank and Google got ripped hard considering how low the install base is over there.
Also Google integrated Ubisoft+ so anyone (in the US) subscribing to Ubisoft+ gets those games on Stadia without needing to pay Google for them and without needing a Stadia Pro subscription. Google are paying Ubisoft to port games and then Google are paying for the hardware and bandwidth to stream those games to Ubisoft subscribers. It's got to be one of the weirdest first party/third party dynamics in the history of gaming.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
I assume Amazon is paying the same for Luna. Is Stadia still getting new games? I know they shutdown their 1st party but will new games still go there?

Amazon may not have to pay as much since I think Luna is more like Geforce now and is more of a VM running the windows version of the games. Whereas Stadia actually required devs to put in the work to port the games to their platform.

ToffeeC

Banned
Jan 10, 2019
I honestly feel bad for Google. The company is simply terrible at coming up with profitable new products. You'd think the executives would have learned their lesson like 10 years ago. The company doesn't seem to be able to shake its culture of techies with little business sense that its founders set.

Last edited:

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Jason's "20 x $1 million indie game post" seems short-sided. Who is to say that they didn't do that as well? An indie studio with a budget of $1 million dollars or less is going to be a small studio (5 people or less) and those studios are typically bad at delivering games quickly and on a schedule (just look at all the Kickstarters that go way over their ETA release date). It's not unusual for games from small indie studios to take 5+ years from initial conception to launch.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
You know, Google more or less accidentally propping up half of the video game industry is one of the better outcomes this could have lol
Get paid, Capcom.

Ya I'm still upset that SNK put Sam Sho on Stadia and not regular PC. But they must have gotten a hell of a check.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
Jason's "20 x $1 million indie game post" seems short-sided. Who is to say that they didn't do that as well? An indie studio with a budget of $1 million dollars or less is going to be a small studio (5 people or less) and those studios are typically bad at delivering games quickly and on a schedule (just look at all the Kickstarters that go way over their ETA release date). It's not unusual for games from small indie studios to take 5+ years from initial conception to launch.
Now then, I see you here commenting on all this and stuff, but are you ever going to tell us how much Google paid you guys to port Cuthulu Saves Christmas? Hmmmm?*

(Fun game BTW, played it through to the end. Nice little addition to Pro for that month)

*This is sarcasm by the way. I know you cant disclose those details.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

I think he's just going the extra step about how absurd the numbers are, rather than actually talking about that as a strategy.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
I honestly feel bad for Google. The company is simply terrible at coming up with profitable new products. You'd think the executives would have learned their lesson like 10 years ago.
The problem is they don't see anything through anymore. They try to break into new markets without the will to stay there as long as needed or sometimes they have genuinely good innovative ideas only to abandon the projects shortly after if they don't pay off right away

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
Dude either can mindhack people or has dirt on all CEOs in the industry. How is he still getting such high profile jobs after multiple failed launches is beyond me.

This is the first one where he's truly the face of the failure though. Kutaragi took the blame for the PS3 and Matrick for the XboxOne. Stadia is all Phil, I can't even name another executive involved with it.

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stop(clap emoji)Hiring(clap emoji)Phil(clap emoji)Harrison.

I'll trust Jason's reporting over yours.

It's.. not, though?

I dont say stadia hasnt issues. I mean the platform is perfect in terms of "hardware". Its by far the best cloud that there is. But than you have those games.... there were about 400 already in the running? On the other side you have ps5 that has huge stock issues. Its also the first console were most games will still be crossgen for a longer term than we ever have seen. I'm not saying thay stadia will get a boost soon, but in my imo, it will grow more and more. But those who are deciding which game should be ported are not on the right place. Who choose rdr2 over gta5 anyway when it comes to reaching most people. Again more and more on reddit comments about switching to stadia becausre skipping ps5... (multiple reasons)