• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 59955

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
35cd661ed60c46beb5a99a744f6e70ab12c0b4055a92028ef0b2460ff09e6962.jpg

Bioshock is a great series. All 3 games in it at a base, are quality games. The first 2 games are great games in most or every aspect. Bioshock Infinite on the other hand, is not great in most aspects. At the base of it, it's a average game. It has a good story, enjoyable characters and great art direction. That's as good as it gets with Bioshock Infinite. The actual game itself is a Call of Duty game with less variety and more repetitive level design. They took Bioshock, a first person shooter game with depth and variety and turned it into Call of Duty: Bioshock. I think the game suffered from this. Instead of being able to freely explore the levels and then continue the story, the game forces you to go in one linear direction fast, rushing you through every level into an uninspired shooting gallery every time. Every single mission is you running through somewhere while killing officers throughout with shooting gallery's at the end. The final mission is just one giant shooting gallery really showing how uncreative and uninspired the rest of the game is.

It's so repetitive and shallow. The powers themselves feel like they're only there so this game could be called Bioshock. They don't have any real function in the story and don't really change up the gameplay. I also need to mention the huge lack of weapon variety. There's only about 4 or 5 weapons you use in the entire game and they all feel the same.

Bioshock Infinite is way too linear barely offering the players any variety throughout the game. It's a strictly linear game and this does not fit the Bioshock series well. The first 2 games also had linearity but were way less linear. The plasmids are only there so it can be called Bioshock, the weapon variety is lacking and all around the game feels like a repetitive, boring shooter with a story.

Stuff like an emphasis on choice, being able to make decisions that have impact on both the story and gameplay, open level design, a constant struggle to scrounge up supplies, blending of gameplay elements and story telling and to a lesser extend stuff like research, hacking, satisfying weapon upgrades, etc are all gone in this game. This is why it's the worst Bioshock game in my opinion and I hope Bioshock 4 doesn't take inspiration from it.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Yes. Yes it is. I would argue its the most overrated disappointment out there. Still a decent game...but yeah...very generic

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, it's better than 2. 2 is a game with iteratively improved gameplay over its predecessor and zero original story ideas.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It is known that BioShock Infinite is a weak game that lacks what made previous Shock games great. Reason as to why it is more often forgotten compared to its predecessors.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I liked the part when people pretended the story was good despite it being utter nonsense that was clearly stitched together from multiple different incompatible versions of the script and just left there

Fight me you Infinite-defenders :^3

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When it came out I played through it almost twice in succession, but yeah, it's uninspired, underwhelming, and falls apart under close scrutiny (and I say this as someone who doesn't mind the main conflict getting a bit both-sides'd).

Also it's way less tightly designed. The Lady Comstock fight, ugh.

DaiJyoubs

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, love this game . Loved the combat and the story to death tbh. Don't care what any 2 hour critique on YouTube says otherwise.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When it came out I played through it almost twice in succession, but yeah, it's uninspired, underwhelming, and falls apart under close scrutiny (and I say this as someone who doesn't mind the main conflict getting a bit both-sides'd).

Also it's way less tightly designed. The Lady Comstock fight, ugh.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I liked the part when people pretended the story was good despite it being utter nonsense that was clearly stitched together from multiple different incompatible versions of the script and just left there

Fight me you Infinite-defenders :^3

It is an incredibly stupid story and why it even got the praise that it did continues to elude me.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed the story and presentation of Infinite more than the others.

But I agree that the game design is the weakest of the three.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I prefer it over 2, but Bioshock will always be the best.

Now, a remake with 2s gameplay would be amazing.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe with gameplay and some cliché twists like the villain is you and the girl is really your daughter... but I can't remember anything fron 2 except playing a little sister and seeing through her eyes, so I'm going to have to disagree. If you include BAS DLC too I'm definitely more fond of it than 2.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
I remember how I played it until the end three times in a row, that's how much I liked it

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the story, but mechanically it was a real disappointment considering how much more ambitious it was in the demos.

cyklisten

Nov 12, 2017
It had some good ideas, but didn´t dare to explore or do anything with it at all. It was so obviously focus-tested to death or had major development trouble resulting in "let´s just get this shit out the door pls".

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Looking back I think it was average too. I think the hype was simply too much and they couldn't deliver on that first gameplay demo that everyone freaked out over. On the other hand, Bioshock 1 was maybe my favorite SP shooter ever made.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
The story is garbage, but I had fun with it. Probably because it was the only FPS I played that year. The artstyle helped too, shame it was wasted on a so-so game.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Fuck anyone who say 2 is bad. BioShock 2 is the most emotional and captivating BioShock game.

It's a story about the people of Rapture. Their struggle, their loved ones, their meaning of life.
Eleanor means a lot to you because she is literally all you have, and you would do everything for her, even sacrificing yourself just to give her a normal life.
For once a big daddy found true purpose in its life, it's no longer just a killing machine programmed to follow orders.

Yes BioShock 2 uses the same existing ideas from BioShock 1, but the story is actually meaningful and doesn't rely on shock value plot twists.

I just don't understand how people can even dislike BioShock 2, their argument is always weak as shit and eventually comes down to ''not original''.
Fallout New Vegas isn't original either, but it's the absolutely best in the series.

Last edited:

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
I vastly preferred the theme of Infinite, not as atmospheric as the others but such a gorgeous game.

It was more linear but I didn't find the backtracking to be particularly fun anyway, yeah it's basically CoD with powers but is that really a bad thing? The story was way more interesting than any CoD too.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It felt pretty ambitious for a video game story at the time.

Video game stories have been convoluted nonsense before so I don't see what was so ambitious about it "at the time". They just so happen to put a lot of focus on that nonsense in its presentation during the final stretch and for some reason everyone bought into it being some sort profound tale.

Jun 26, 2018
Wasn't infinite received pretty well overall when it came out? Seems like everyone hates it now and I'm wondering why it's had this turnaround?

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Wasn't infinite received pretty well overall when it came out? Seems like everyone hates it now and I'm wondering why it's had this turnaround?
It was hyped up a lot so shortly after release people were still in The Phantom Menace phase where they were trying to convince themselves that they liked it.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
It is an incredibly stupid story and why it even got the praise that it did continues to elude me.
I played it a few years later when I was lttp getting a GTX 970. The internet had already done the thing where it went from praising the story as the greatest thing ever to calling it a pile of crap.
I'll never understand the praise, the story is a jumbled mess. The original Bioshock was much better with story.
That being said, I hate the gunplay in the entire series.