• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pure Spirit

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt
Banned
Jul 7, 2019
When you challenge someone in a town hall to do pushups, you know you're losing
I don't think it's the first time Biden has challenged someone to pushups when questioned on his age.

Going beyond that, I don't think it's Biden's age people are worried about so much as him showing signs of age-related cognitive decline.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
"You're too old to vote for me.."

The nursing home jokes sure are flowin'.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know they say that all men are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Bernie Sanders and you can see that statement is not true. See, normally if you go one on one with another candidate, you got a 50/50 chance of winning. But I'm a genetic freak and I'm not normal! So you got a 25%, AT BEST, at beat me. Then you add Elizabeth Warren to the mix, your chances of winning drastic go down. See the 3 way at the Democratic Nomination, you got a 33 1/3 chance of winning, but I, I got a 66 and 2/3 chance of winning, because Elizabeth Warren KNOWS she can't beat me and she's not even gonna try!
So Bernie Sanders, you take your 33 1/3 chance, minus my 25% chance and you got an 8 1/3 chance of winning at the Democratic Nomination. But then you take my 75% chance of winning, if we was to go one on one, and then add 66 2/3 per cents, I got 141 2/3 chance of winning at the Democratic Nomination. See Bernie, the numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for you at Sacerface.

7cPB.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Worst part was the dude saying Biden has no backbone after 30 seconds of Biden being more confrontational than he has been in any debate wtf

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The guy told him he was too old to be president.

That's not a super controversial comment? Many, many people don't want 77 year olds holding a job that should be extremely challenging. It's frankly terrifying that Ronald Reagan was president when you stop and think about the issues he was tackling.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I can't get too angry at Biden for this, Trump lowered the bar a lot, calling a voter fat (or whatever he said) is seen as normal now.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Succumbing to trumpesque behavior and using trumpisms is ezactly what they want you to do, god damn it Joe. Stooping to their level is rarely a successful endeavor, and in this case its never going to work because Trump will just brainwash his voter base into thinking the Dems are just as bad as he is and that he deserves a fighting chance for a 2nd term. He was already unfit as the candidacy, and now I'm sure of it.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Disclaimer: Not American.

He's only 4 years older than Trump? He's a year younger than Sanders and Warren is 70? All your big candidates for the presidency are old af. If you think his age is an issue then all their ages should be an issue?

People have criticized all of those people on their age. People have constantly brought up how old Trump and Sanders are especially.

A big part of people calling for Beto early on, was that he wasn't super old.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Biden admitted on camera to pressuring Ukraine officials to fire someone under threat of withholding funding, and his son had absolutely no reason to hold the position he did outside of nepotism. He's not "going up in my book" for this or anything he does. Just because Trump is immeasurably worse doesn't mean we should let Biden slide, let alone pat him on the back for similar things.

The thing is Biden wasn't doing it in secret. It was official US And EU policy to push on firing the corrupt prosecutor. He also didn't require investigating any political opponents in the US as part of that deal.

Magni

He is. Guy's like 90.

There's enough of there to dunk on Biden's reduced mental capacities without needing to exaggerate his age by over a decade.

That's not a super controversial comment? Many, many people don't want 77 year olds holding a job that should be extremely challenging. It's frankly terrifying that Ronald Reagan was president when you stop and think about the issues he was tackling.

Oh, I agree that his age is an issue. I was just explaining the context behind the "You're too old to vote for me". It wasn't said like that out of the blue.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
"I've been around for a long time and I know more than most people"

Is Ok, Boomer still cool to say or did it die?

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
It's very childish to go "well I'm not even going to bother arguing with you" tbh. You see it all the time on this forum as well. Biden didn't handle that very well -- it's clear that he disagrees and believes the voter to be lying, but he should have argued for his version of the story, then, rather than be so dismissive. Just my thoughts.

WolfForager

Oct 27, 2017
People have criticized all of those people on their age. People have constantly brought up how old Trump and Sanders are especially.

A big part of people calling for Beto early on, was that he wasn't super old.

Yea, you guys have a wee bit of a problem. Add to that that one of your candidates has already had a heart attack while running for nomination and the your sitting President has also reportedly had a heart attack while in office.

I thought Beto would have had more of a chance than he did, but obviously don't know US politics well enough.

At this stage the "age" argument should probably be put on the shelf if you have no other real alternatives than another old candidate.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why? Biden denied that anyone was making these accusations. They're being made, on the news. Like, this wasn't a "I saw in Firefly that shooting kneecaps is super easy, why don't cops do that?" kind of "I saw it on TV." There are legitimate(ish--Fox is considered real by plenty of voters) news shows raising this issue. Claiming that "no one has ever said that" was malarky.
Wasn't "I saw it on the TV" a response to "you're a damn liar"?

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This really doesn't put Biden in a good light imho. Letting this one person get under his skin so much that he acts this way makes me worry he'll lose his cool in debates later.

He may have experience, but he definitely didn't show it here.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
it is actually insane how this man can't form coherent sentences my god

the video can't even get subtitled properly no one knows what he's saying

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's gonna be great when Trump trolls his ass and Biden challenges him to a pull up challenge

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
What a day when getting called out for actual nepotism and responding like an ignorant jackass by questioning someones IQ and calling them fat is attempting to be applauded. Trump trying to scummily and illegally find dirt on people aside, if they actually did wrong doing, its completely out of bounds when a voter is questioning you. We take Trump to task rightly for his own nepotism with his family members.

I'm somewhat reluctant to give Joe the benefit of the doubt that this approach is intentional. I think he's attempting to tap in to Trump's playbook.

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He called him fat? I thought he said fact and trailed off his sentence because he gave up arguing with a guy spouting Fox News bits. I need to rewatch it.
Edit: oh lol I can see how it can be heard that way now. I don't think he actually said it because no one seemed to react to it that way.

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Biden continues to show that he's not fit for the Presidency. He should have responded to that with much more class and deft thinking, but...

You can still be 'not having any of that dudes bullshit' and not resort to body shaming, ageism, and unintentionally giving that moment traction in the wrong circles.

That worked so well for HIllary. This deserved such a response.

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
Not a good look Joe. I'm sure the PR machine will say he wasn't fat or age shaming him but he was clearly firey hot to a guy who clearly wasn't as sharp as he was. A little bit of class and tact could have won himself a vote but I think the bigger issue is that he doesn't have a response to this question. Whenever it comes up he treats it, as some have done in this thread, as Republican talking points. There is a decent sized percentage of the Democratic base that actually is concerned about Hunter Biden's position on that board and hand waving those concerns isn't buying him any brownie points.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i wouldn't applaud the response but i don't see much problem either (aside from fat-gate). he wasn't having shit that day, nbd. if this were the 2008 or '12 obama campaign i'd be like yeah put a muzzle on grampa here but this is going to be a different election

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I have my particular preference but I honestly don't care who the candidate is when we compare them to Trump. Can't believe some people on here are falling for the right wing talking points.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a day when getting called out for actual nepotism and responding like an ignorant jackass by questioning someones IQ and calling them fat is attempting to be applauded. Trump trying to scummily and illegally find dirt on people aside, if they actually did wrong doing, its completely out of bounds when a voter is questioning you. We take Trump to task rightly for his own nepotism with his family members.
You are exactly the kind of poster who has complained about "republican talking points" and you go and post this. Disingenous.

If age is a concern then let it be a concern. If he's too old to be President then people can be too old to vote. It's a response that follows that logic perfectly.

Dec 31, 2017
I'm glad he responded to bullshit false equivalencies aggressively. Comparing what Biden did to what Trump did is so fucking stupid that if you fall for it, you should look inward towards your critical thinking ability.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If age is a concern then let it be a concern. If he's too old to be President then people can be too old to vote. It's a response that follows that logic perfectly.

It's a pretty dumb response that only superficially follows the logic. Voting isn't a two way street. Joe Biden doesn't get a say in who can or can't vote for him. He can surely have an opinion that someone is too old to vote, but that opinion is functionally meaningless. Joe Biden isn't vetting the guy to vote. Meanwhile, the guy IS vetting Joe Biden's position as president.

it reveals a really poorly thought out train of logic. Something that might feel emotionally good as a swipe back, but is functionally a toothless reply.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
my take is when Trump repeats verbatim what this guy said on a debate stage, Joe's gonna call Trump fat and challenge him to a push up contest.

this is the most luminous and passionate I've seen Joe in a long time tho, I like it, and if he brought that to Trump... he would win.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a pretty dumb response that only superficially follows the logic. Voting isn't a two way street. Joe Biden doesn't get a say in who can or can't vote for him. He can surely have an opinion that someone is too old to vote, but that opinion is functionally meaningless. Joe Biden isn't vetting the guy to vote. Meanwhile, the guy IS vetting Joe Biden's position as president.

it reveals a really poorly thought out train of logic. Something that might feel emotionally good as a swipe back, but is functionally a toothless reply.
If you insist an arbitrary number is problematic when it comes to decision making then it applies to voters. There is no logical depth to be addressed if you refuse to ask yourself why you hold the belief you do. That's vetting at nothing but a superficial level and its a good thing to insist voters should apply a deeper logic.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you insist an arbitrary number is problematic when it comes to decision making then it applies to voters. There is no logical depth to be addressed if you refuse to ask yourself why you hold the belief you do. That's vetting at nothing but a superficial level and its a good thing to insist voters should apply a deeper logic.

If joe biden's goal was an ultimately meaningless gotcha, to point out that the guy wasn't entirely logically consistent, then mission accomplished.

But presumably his goal is to be elected president. And the guy wasn't saying "I disagree with your age philosophically," he was saying "I disagree with your age, and I am using that as a basis to not vote for you" which is precisely why Biden bristled. Because Biden wants to win an election.

Hence, the clap back was toothless. He's not getting what he ultimately wanted. He "won" a quick rush, but his comeback didn't make the guy go "damn, I guess I SHOULD vote for you." At best, he made the dude not vote for him, and also not vote for anybody else. Which was not the goal.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Holy shit did we watch the same video?

Biden got fired up over some shit which really is a baseless attack on his character. When he realized the dude was being confrontational to get a rise out of him, Biden walked away from the arguement. Clearly the "too old to vote for me" remark was said in jest which you can tell by his tone.

Was is presidential? No. But it wasn't anywhere near Trumpish behaviour. Trump doesnt confront bullshit, he just talks around it and postures later at his rallies.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
You are exactly the kind of poster who has complained about "republican talking points" and you go and post this. Disingenous.

And your the kind of poster who thinks calling out nepotism from the then vice president is a republican talking point that i'm making? Is it because he is a democrat that you think Joe Biden is off limits from criticism?

I'm somewhat reluctant to give Joe the benefit of the doubt that this approach is intentional. I think he's attempting to tap in to Trump's playbook.

So your saying its a terrible strategy that he's playing to intentionally be a jackass to "invoke" trump? Very very suspect, since he's always been one, that's kinda what he's known for and why Obama on a whim picked him. To get some of that white conservative democrat mojo

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
So your saying its a terrible strategy that he's playing to intentionally be a jackass to "invoke" trump? Very very suspect, since he's always been one, that's what he's known for

Biden has not been this abrasive before, especially in public. He has been quite happy to play the buddy cop to Obama angle up until this point, now he realizes he needs more. I'm not saying it's a good thing. It's a strategy that will see him lose easily.