• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Between PlayStation and Xbox, which controller has the better face buttons?

• PlayStation

Votes: 856 63.9%
  • Xbox (エックスボックス)

Votes: 484 36.1%

• Total voters

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
sad-male-gamer-thinking-after-playing-video-game-holding-a-console-G50D47.jpg

PlayStation face buttons (cross, circle, square, triangle) are flat, require slightly less force to press in, and have a matte finish (up to the DualShock 4, at least).

Xbox face buttons (A, B, X, Y) are round/convex, require slightly more force to press in, and have a glossy finish.

Which do you prefer and why? I enjoy both but I'd give the edge to PlayStation because I find them much less fatiguing to mash.

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
I've always hated Xbox face buttons. That + my dislike of the analog stick orientation is as good a reason as any why I've never really wanted one.

Good triggers, though.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I prefer the face buttons on PS controllers. Also what's up with the noise on the Xbox One controller? Shit is so clicky and loud.

Oct 28, 2017
I like the slightly higher resistance and the convex shape of the xbox buttons, but like the symbols of the playstation buttons. Purely for feel I'm voting xbox.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
I prefer the overall shape of the 360 and One controller, but if we're talking face buttons specifically, the Playstation ones are better. They just seem easier to find.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really the only diference for me is convex vs flat. I just prefer the flat because I can hammer them more easily.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer the symbols on Playstation.

I VASTLY prefer the color choice on Xbox.

Why would they make Square and Circle, which can look similar at a glance, pink and pastel red, which also look similar at a glance?

gaming-tips-connecting-some-controllers-to-windows-pc-487873-7.jpg

Hate the choice of colors.

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Face buttons on DS4 are superior imo. Excellent for fighting games, 2D games, etc.

The bulbuos glossy face buttons on the Xbox controller and especially the miniature xbox copy face buttons on the Steam controller stab your thumbs after awhile.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I prefer the flat face buttons on the DualShock I think.

There's not a lot in it though. They both have four identical buttons in the same spot.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PlayStation symbols are iconic (ABXY means Nintendo for me) and the flat buttons are more pleasing to press.

So PlayStation 2 x 0 Xbox

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
the flat face buttons on ps controllers doesn't feel like my thumb is being stabbed, so i'll go with that.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I actually like the jewel design and slightly mushier feedback on Xbox, although ergonomically, I actually find the Dual Shock more comfortable to hold overall.

Buttons, battery life and triggers are the places where I feel the Xbox controller wins. Dual Shock for overall feel.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
PlayStation has the better buttons, both in look and feel. Xbox has better sticks, triggers an overall comfort to hold.

Paper Wario

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I have never liked the spacing on the PS face buttons so i'll give my vote to Xbox

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I have a hard preference but when the DualShock had analog face buttons they were of course objectively better.

Oct 27, 2017
Playstation wins on face buttons, but Xbox renaming R1 and L1 to RB and LB for whatever reason helps me visualize them better in my head.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox chose the wrong button layout and are slightly more convex than they should be

Nov 8, 2017
Overall I like Xbox controllers more. But, the buttons are too clicky. The flatter Playstation buttons might be a little bit better.

AceAlli

Oct 27, 2017
The X (ecks), Circle, Square and Triangle of PS is iconic and original with a great, unique color palette. The flat buttons are more user-friendly imo. The Xbox using A/B/X/Y laid out inverse of Nintendo's A/B/X/Y is pretty unoriginal and I'm not as much of a fan of the rounder buttons. PS wins in my opinion.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
The playstation wins here, I find the xbox controller better in every way except for the buttons, they just feel better to press on the playstation controller

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'll tell you what everyone's going to vote for:

whatever they grew up with

LOL. There is no reality where I think the Atari 2600 has the best face buttons.

Honestly...I've never thought about it though. I like the way the XBOX controller feels ergonomically, so I guess that. The buttons are the buttons. I don't really have a preference for one over the other.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I don't care about letters vs shapes, but I'm not a fan of the super hard plastic of the Xbox face buttons. They're clicky and a little loud. Dualshock buttons have always felt...'softer' if that makes sense.

Both are great controllers though.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly kind of biased against Xbox's because I grew up on the SNES and they deliberately arranged the letter buttons BACKWARDS compared to the SNES button layout.

So Playstation for me but only because my brain will forever remember the SNES button layout and Xbox flies in the face of that. I regularly get the Xbox buttons mixed up even lately.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
The X (ecks), Circle, Square and Triangle of PS is iconic and original with a great, unique color palette. The flat buttons are more user-friendly imo. The Xbox using A/B/X/Y laid out inverse of Nintendo's A/B/X/Y is pretty unoriginal and I'm not as much of a fan of the rounder buttons. PS wins in my opinion.

Sega_Dreamcast_Controller_%28PAL%29.png

You can blame the Dreamcast for that one.

Mecha

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
The PS symbols have become iconic. So I prefer them for that alone. But in practice they are the same.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
They're both pretty great. Nintendo on the other hand has always made terrible feeling face buttons.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
The buttons on the Xbox controllers always felt weird to press. I prefer the PlayStation's flat buttons.

That said though I by far prefer the placement of the analogue sticks on Xbox and the triggers.

Oct 25, 2017
I immediately know where the PS buttons are.

Xbox and Nintendo having the same buttons but in a different order legit fucks me up sometimes.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
DS2 with its pressure sensitive buttons specifically.
Has the DS5 brought them back, or is it just a bunch of gimmicky immersion features?

topplehat

Oct 27, 2017
Austin, TX
I like both, but give an edge to the PlayStation controls because they are more unique and distinct. Nintendo/Microsoft will use the same letters and it's confusing.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Why the fuck would someone want the playstation's mushy buttons over the snappy feedback of the xbox buttons. Like the DS4 is at least better than the DS3 but still.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I don't really feel any relevant difference on touch feedback, so I'm voting Xbox because they use a color selection that makes them easier to differentiate.

As I'm switching constantly between the Switch Pro, Xone and Ps4 controllers, it kind of helps to re-adjust to the controller as the visual clues are better.