• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
I'm mixed on this. Bethesda most likely only announced TES VI due to fan demand to know it was being made. Fans are now angry it's been announced with no new updates. I almost want to ask people what they expected.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Who said he should change it?

It's just silly for him to act like he is beholden to chasing pageviews when he has a fairly massive and reliable income stream.

One could just as easily make the converse argument -- because he covers such an extremely narrow field of topics and so frequently retreads the same opinions, his ability to gain Patrons is ultimately limited.

Now that he's fashioned himself as anti-capitalist, these profit-driven justifications ring all-the-more hollow. He frequently criticizes all manner of developers and publishers who claim "Well we can't do things better or different because we'll make less money!" "I can't give up ragemongering or I'll make less money" is the same line of thought and motivation.
Theres a pretty big difference between a personal business making $160,000 a year, a lot of which is going back into the channel, and a company like Bethesda who does $50 million a year or whatever in revenue. I think it's disingenuous to equate the two.

This just reads like the "yet you patricipate in society..curious" meme

Last edited:

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Honestly I wish more people who work in the industry had to hutzpah to tell their fanbases to Sit The Fuck Down. Maybe if enough folks did with consistency we could begin to stamp down and minimize Gamer Outrage.
Absolutely.

I don't even have any love for Bethesda, but I felt Pete's tweet 110%.

The ability for a certain subset of Gamers to go wild with expectations for no reason, only to turn around and get outraged at others when their insane fantasies don't pan out, is maddening at times.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I feel like a LOT of developers wish they could post something like this. The forums going stir crazy isn't something they need to acknowledge in their marketing/release schedule.

Absolutely.

I don't even have any love for Bethesda, but I felt Pete's tweet 110%.

The ability for a certain subset of Gamers to go wild with expectations for no reason, only to turn around and get outraged at others when their insane fantasies don't pan out, is maddening at times.

I've brought this up in threads that I could tell were hyping out of control and been accused of 'not allowing people to have fun' and whatnot. I've been around long enough, every goddamn Nintendo direct has had people pump themselves up for Metroid/Mother 3/F-Zero then complain and temper tantrum there's no news on them (or the news isn't enough), people need to stop deluding themselves into expectations reality isn't going to confirm. Especially when it's the same cycle over and over again.

May 22, 2018
I feel like this is why developers nowadays are leaning towards announcing games when they're almost ready compared to years out. Fans cant help themselves and want a constant feed of information, even when it's totally unrealistic, and it's hard to demand and expect that if the product doesn't officially exist.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Theres a pretty big difference between a personal business making $160,000 a year, a lot of which is going back into the channel, and a company like Bethesda who does $50 million a year or whatever in revenue. I think it's disingenuous to equate the two.
Also somewhat disingenuous to say I'm equating Sterling with Bethesda when I didn't even mention Bethesda in passing.

I'm not equating them -- I just said it's a similar line of thought and philosophy, but the scale is entirely different of course.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
I've brought this up in threads that I could tell were hyping out of control and been accused of 'not allowing people to have fun' and whatnot. I've been around long enough, every goddamn Nintendo direct has had people pump themselves up for Metroid/Mother 3/F-Zero then complain and temper tantrum there's no news on them (or the news isn't enough), people need to stop deluding themselves into expectations reality isn't going to confirm. Especially when it's the same cycle over and over again.
I can't remember if it was the Banjo stream or the Terry stream, but at least one of the Smash DLC character showcases was appended with a warning along the lines of "this presentation will ONLY be about the character; there will be no announcements."

I remember thinking that I guess it was a good thing that Nintendo was being that explicit, but I was also rolling my eyes at how they felt that they had to warn the manchildren not to get carried away ahead of time.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Good, I miss the old Pete "STFU" Hines and his blunt twitter responses. After Fallout 76 he turned into a shell for about a year. Doom and Wastelanders seem to have perked him back to life.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
A complete non-issue just like the ArenaNet thing in the past. If you want creators (and marketers) to bother staying on platforms engaging with fans then expect misunderstandings and outbursts to arise sometimes when they have a preponderance of dumbasses in their mentions every day. People gonna people.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Also somewhat disingenuous to say I'm equating Sterling with Bethesda when I didn't even mention Bethesda in passing.

I'm not equating them -- I just said it's a similar line of thought and philosophy, but the scale is entirely different of course.
I just used bethesda as an example. Insert any other publisher.

I also think you can't equate "I'm doing content my fans want to keep my channel going and make a living for myself" with "we're implementing shitty anti-consumer practices that objectively make content worse for the fans, so that we can increase revenue and appease shareholders"

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Probably would have helped if they didn't release that "teaser". Makes ppl expect to not have to wait 5 years to see something lol.

But at the same time Idk why ppl think they're gonna see something about Elder Scrolls when we haven't even seen anything about Starfield

Vyrance

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I love the Elder Scrolls games and don't really care about Fallout, so it hasn't been fun waiting. Still going to be a very long time.

Oct 30, 2017
if I had to deal with the gaming community on a nearly constant basis, I'd say the same stuff too.

doesn't matter what his position is, eventually you get tired of hearing the same bullshit from a shitty and entitled community.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I can't blame the marketing VP on this one - they announced TES VI when it was probably nothing more than ideas just to get the "fans" off their backs while they advanced on projects that were already greenlighted and at least in pre-production, and they get people asking at every moment while the responde has been clear, resources are allocated to other developments for the moment.
Not the most professional responde, sure, but after all this years of badgering you can empathize with the exasperation.

I'm seeing something similar with Metroid Prime 4 - it was announced to avoid backlash due to Samus Returns, and even with the announcement that it was basically starting from zero when it was handed to Retro you get people moaning that they haven't seen anything.

It's going to be ready when its ready, and I hope that process does not lead to crunch on part of the devs. No game is worth that.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
I don't expect anything from Bethesda Studio after F4 and 76, and it's obvious TESVI is years away.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the backlash of linking a Yongyea video.

I agree that he's not a good content creator and seems to have most of his work just reading out tweets, but that just kind of makes him a boring pundit/gaming news guy. I haven't heard of him doing anything truly vile like being a bigot or whatever.

If the worst thing you can say about him is that he's bad at video producing, I don't see the big deal about linking his stuff.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
A Youtuber releasing a 10+ min video everytime a game company does something else than release a game.
That's the part that bugs me, especially lately. He just drones on and on, going over the same bit of info over and over, just to hit the ten minute mark. I stopped watching when I realized his videos could be condensed down to about two minutes and not lose any actual content.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Their two games in the past 9 years were worse than their prior hits and far behind competitors in tech and quality of life features.

There's nothing they've done since Skyrim that has lit up that many people's enjoyment.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The tweet he snapped on was clearly a joke, but at the same time, that whole thread spawned from someone genuinely expect TES VI information any time soon, which makes them a moron. So by all means, go off on the morons.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's the part that bugs me, especially lately. He just drones on and on, going over the same bit of info over and over, just to hit the ten minute mark. I stopped watching when I realized his videos could be condensed down to about two minutes and not lose any actual content.

Shitting in your own mouth would be a more pleasurable experience than sitting through one of that guys videos. Bottom of the barrel doesn't cut it.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably would have helped if they didn't release that "teaser". Makes ppl expect to not have to wait 5 years to see something lol.

But at the same time Idk why ppl think they're gonna see something about Elder Scrolls when we haven't even seen anything about Starfield
People would be asking for TES VI with or without that teaser. Bethesda can't win for losing here.
Hypothetically speaking, had they not release that teaser fans would still be wondering and would just complain that they're being ignored. Now, with the teaser, fans are complaining that they're being ignored.
And what's worse is that Bethesda has said time and time again that Starfield is first and TES VI is a long ways away.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
what is wrong with client facing people in this industry

gamers are fucking awful, but you cannot publicly get caught saying some shit like this

ridiculously unprofessional

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
There needs to be a name for this phenomena, because this exact same thing happened to me. I was subbed for like two months a few years ago and caught the same thing you did.

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
I don't understand the backlash of linking a Yongyea video.

I agree that he's not a good content creator and seems to have most of his work just reading out tweets, but that just kind of makes him a boring pundit/gaming news guy. I haven't heard of him doing anything truly vile like being a bigot or whatever.

If the worst thing you can say about him is that he's bad at video producing, I don't see the big deal about linking his stuff.
He's a bigot. Went all in on gamergate-style rhetoric when there was controversy over the firing of a female employee of ArenaNet (the firing was the result of a similar social media exchange to this current incident ironically, 3 guesses why that one blew up the way it did while this one is fizzling), took an "anti-SJW" stance on trans representation in Cyberpunk 2077, and caters to the alt-right adjacent brand of "gamer rage" generally.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
He's a bigot. Went all in on gamergate-style rhetoric when there was controversy over the firing of a female employee of ArenaNet (the firing was the result of a similar social media exchange to this current incident ironically, 3 guesses why that one blew up the way it did while this one is fizzling), took an "anti-SJW" stance on trans representation in Cyberpunk 2077, and caters to the alt-right adjacent brand of "gamer rage" generally.
Ah, okay. Nevermind then. I rescind my statement. Backlash away.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
YongYea also defended PewDiePie saying the N-word, all because "black people say it all the time."

So fuck him.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I see no problem with what Pete said given this question has been answered that we won't be seeing TES VI anytime soon plus I read it as more playful/exasperated than truly annoyed. When I read the title I thought this was going to be about Doom Eternal's Denuvo controversy in which that would be a bad response. This is nothing however.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Sterling is great. His videos skirt the line between trolling and genuine concern but he usually covers legitimate issues that erupt into drama because it exposes the ridiculousness of some people.
Both of Jim and Yong get off on stirring drama. While their videos definitely do cover legitimate issues, the presentation they usually go with seem to be counterproductive. Instead of educational tone, and level headed analysis, they spread outrage and drama. It's why I actually stopped watching both of them. Yong in particular seem to take it even further.

TheGift

Oct 28, 2017
Central California
They've been absolutely clear about it being a very long way off. I don't understand why people keep bugging. Having said that, he could've responded in a more respectful way. These people are the ones keeping the lights on at Bethesda. There's definitely a strong sense of entitlement coming from some of those replies, but the majority seem to be respectful.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Fuck YongYea. Also If YongYea is banned Jim Sterling should be too, they're both shit stirring clickbaiters.

YongYea isn't banned as far as I can recall. There is a pretty large difference between Sterling and people like YongYea though. Sterling covers parts of the industry that YongYea won't since a lot of his fans are toxic right wing trolls. You think YongYea is going to talk about unionization in the gaming industry? Sure Sterling can be self-aggrandizing but I dispute this push for equivalence between the two.

They are both shit stirring clickbaiters, however Sterling has a modicum of his respect for his audience and in my opinion is way more sincere than the YongYeas of the world.

They've been absolutely clear about it being a very long way off. I don't understand why people keep bugging. Having said that, he could've responded in a more respectful way. These people are the ones keeping the lights on at Bethesda. There's definitely a strong sense of entitlement coming from some of those replies, but the majority seem to be respectful.

I think it's fine for it to be a long way off, they still have to release Skyrim for next gen consoles after all.

In all seriousness, the world is a fucked up place and I don't blame people for wanting to see more of a game that they can enmesh themselves in. I don't think they are entitled to get this game or anything and I think there needs to be some patience and respect, but the foundation of this industry is definitely the type of enthusiasm for a game like Elder Scrolls. At the same time I don't blame Pete Hines for losing patience himself. I don't know how any of the people that have to engage with Twitter as part of their job do it. I could not.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
So where is the line? Can we only post puff pieces? Jim Sterling does SOME good work.

I don't think either should be banned, but I also think YongYea is terrible, I will never watch any of his videos. I don't share that type of derision for Sterling at all even though I find some of his videos to be specious at best.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
YouTubers pad out their videos to be 10+ min for higher engagement, so people watch longer and more space for ads. That's how your success is judged now, not subscribers. With YongYea's channel, it's really blatant.

Status
Not open for further replies.