• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

the best sitcom of the 90's?

• Seinfeld

• Friends

• Other (mention below)

• Fresh Prince of Bel Air

Results are only viewable after voting.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
Friends aged horribly. I think the transphobic episodes were taken out of syndication.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
I like both shows but Seinfeld is much more rewatchable. Frasier is superior though.

Also, 3rd Rock From The Sun is way underrated.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It's been cool to hate Friends for years now, this poll was always going to be a slaughter. That said, I love both but Seinfeld is my favorite show of all time, I can have repeats on 24/7 and not get bored. I kind of need to be in the mood for Friends, but it has some amazing writing and the chemistry between the cast is best in class

V23

Oct 27, 2017
Well, Seinfeld is the greatest television show of all time, so...

Also, Friends is a classic but Frasier is better than it.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
Friends was something I loved back in early 2000 when I started watching and now I just find it boring and questioning why I liked the show back then.

I never get tired of watching Seinfeld reruns on the other hand. All the characters have their moments and it is consistently funny. The last two or three seasons can get a bit tiring but for the e most part they all hold up great

Also love fresh prince and personally rate it very close to Seinfeld. Too bad there weren't more seasons

Oct 26, 2017
I love the hell out of Curb, but could never get into Seinfeld. Jerry himself was always just such a turnoff for me. The rest of the cast I enjoy.

I think that is why I've always loved Friends. The cast is one of the greatest for me.

One of these days I'll try Seinfeld again.

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
I got too hasty over comparing Seinfeld to Friends that I didn't notice Fresh Prince before I voted. For real though, I'm not crazy about Seinfeld but its way better than friends. Fresh Prince is on a whole nother level though.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No. There's only a handful of episodes that directly reference much of anything from that show, or feature direct guest spots of a returning character.

The only truly relevant element is Lilith, his ex-wife, and the show more-or-less tells you everything you need to know.
Thank you, I guess I can watch them side by side.

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
Seinfeld by far between the two obviously. It's on a completely different level from Friends. Larry Sanders show was underrated too imo.

But 90s Simpsons was the greatest TV show ever.

Last edited:

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is making me really contend with the question of Seinfeld vs The Simpsons for the first time and honestly I don't know.

Years ago, the younger me would have said The Simpsons, hands down. But the older I get, the more I grow to appreciate Seinfeld. The Simpsons has better gags but Seinfeld really speaks to certain truths of 30-something life that I was previously unable to understand.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
never watched a ton of seinfeld. i think i get from always sunny what others got from seinfeld.

anyway my answer is simpsons

OP
OP
Killer

Killer

Oct 27, 2017
For the most part. It gets better one they trim off his season 1/2 mullet

Like. those seasons are good but he learns lessons and shit. Once they shear off his mullet he gains speed and starts causing fires and getting arrested more. It's a fantastic show
Sounds good!Will put it in my Q to watch it.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
This thread is making me really contend with the question of Seinfeld vs The Simpsons for the first time and honestly I don't know.

Years ago, the younger me would have said The Simpsons, hands down. But the older I get, the more I grow to appreciate Seinfeld. The Simpsons has better gags but Seinfeld really speaks to certain truths of 30-something life that I was previously unable to understand.
I think here simpsons would win

Other places Seinfeld

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
Poll without Frasier is kinda meaningless.

Frasier still holds up today.

1st & last season of Seinfeld is just awful.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Poll without Frasier is kinda meaningless.

Frasier still holds up today.

1st & last season of Seinfeld is just awful.
Last season of Seinfeld has a few of the all time classic episodes. (Serenity Now, The Dealership, Merv Griffin Show, The Voice)

Season one I'll give you, but they were still finding their footing. Wouldn't call it awful of course but definitely the least loved even tho I enjoy it. Some great but not classic episodes on there.

Kindekuma

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seinfeld, end of discussion. Hell I still play it on Netflix while working or just chilling out. Each episode is just so quotable and memorable. I have friends that are HUGE Friends fanatics but I just don't find the show funny? I think one thing about Seinfeld to be so good is that there's no "hugging or learning".

sandyph

Oct 31, 2017
coming from a non-english speaking country. Friends was much more popular to the general public while the smart kids liked seinfeld more

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Also, 3rd Rock From The Sun is way underrated.

I randomly caught a couple episodes of 3rd Rock just channel surfing last week and was amazed by how well it aged.

Hadn't seen it in like 20 years and it was still funny as hell.

John Lithgow is a stone-cold riot. He's theatrical as hell and it works perfectly for the character/setting.

Rest of the cast have great chemistry as well.

Def. underrated.

Oct 27, 2017
Friends was cool at the time and I will always remember watching it growing up. That being said, I hadn't watched Seinfeld until a few years ago and holy shit is that show still funny. Like actual "I'm laughing" funny, not just "I'm invested in these characters" funny

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
I was in my 20s and related more to Seinfeld. Friends was supposed to reflect my generation but I didn't know anybody like Rachel, Monica, Ross, Chandler, Joey, etc. My friends were more like Costanza, Elaine and Kramer even though they were older than me at the time.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I'll take Martin, Fresh Prince, and Wings over everything else but Seinfeld, thank you.

Seriously, why is Wings so forgotten?

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
Friends is a pretty good sitcom. It's dumb comedy but works very well as background noise or something to binge while playing on a phone or handheld. The will they/won't they hook was very effective in the 90s, and it had more persistence week to week than most shows at the time.

Seinfeld is comedic genius that changed the comedy landscape. The setups and payoffs are some of the best, and were head and shoulders above everything else on the air at the time (I say that as someone who didn't care for Seinfeld in the 90s when I was a kid). I don't find Seinfeld to be as bingeable though, maybe because it has more subtlety and benefits more from actually paying full attention.

Seinfeld is easier the better show.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Seinfeld is my favorite with Frasier a very close second. Then comes Curb Your Enthusiasm.