• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Would you up for a ban SUV's on your city, Era?

lmao, no. I swear people here can be ridiculous in their belief that even the most basic ownership rights should be stripped when they pose even the slightest safety threat, all the while ignoring stuff that kills far more people. I mean cool if you enjoy living in a society where your leaders and your countrymen consider the average citizen so irresponsible that they can't even own an SUV. But some of us actually need a vehicle like that to get to work on time in the winter.

Oct 25, 2017
Hell no. Would make no sense to ban 4x4s before banning trucks, vans etc. Plus where I live, odds are people use them for off-road driving fairly frequently or because they have a large family, so they're kinda needed.
🙄

The average van or truck can at least be justified as being a necessity for people who actually work and require a big car for tools or equipment. Tradespeople like builders and electricians, musicians, etc. The average SUV-like the car in the OP is a complete vanity vehicle, designed to sell a lifestyle after people became to embarrased to buy a station wagon for their family car, useless for any real off road driving and not any better as a family car than the average sedan. You don't need a Cayanne for two kids and your weekly groceries.

These cars are wasteful, inefficient polluting deathtraps, and i'd suggest anyone who "needs" one to do hobby offroading to get a less wasteful hobby. 🙄

Last edited:

Coen

Oct 25, 2017
Antwerp, Belgium
Sorry, but everyone should just walk. Ban all High Speed transportation.

Nobody's saying that, not even the greens. But there's a place and time for everything. Most European cities just don't have the space to accommodate the ever-growing amount of cars, plus the cars are getting bigger and bigger in size.

I'm not against big vehicles, but they should be used appropriately; for transportation of goods or large groups of people. There's absolutely no need for them in Berlin if their only use is going to be driving your two kids to school and go shopping.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guys, get used to the SUV look. It's the evolution of car design. What do you think level 5 fully autonomous cars will look like? You'll want to freaking do yoga on your commute, it's going to be more boxy , taller etc. Room to watch a movie on a big screen, or rotatable chairs so you can dine like a man of class.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Yeah, that is idiotic. So many cities banning recent diesel vehicles while allowing older gas vehicles that pollute more.
Aren't the people with those vehicles generally in worse economic situations than people who own recent diesel vehicles? Those older cars are going to be off the road soon just through deprecation, I don't know how taking away poor people's way to get to work is gonna fly.

Goodbye

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, let's ban all (something something) because of an accident where the driver suffered something medical.

There are also people dying because they fall from stairs. So let's ban stairs. Sometimes a runner dies from a heartattack, let's ban running.

How about those nasty airplanes. If they crash several hundreds of people die. Let's ban airplanes.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
But that is not how the bans work. Some are already going to ban EURO4 cars with a filter while allowing EURO2 gas cars.

That's only like a 9 year difference according to what I found on the internet. And it makes sense since on older cars, diesel engines pollute more than gas engines. I'm guessing it also relates to particulate filters on diesel engines.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
WTF.. almost any car hitting people at speed will kill them. This has nothing to do with SUVs.

All wheel drive.. evil 4x4!

Subaru's are EVIL 4x4s!

What I think of when I see 4x4..

maxresdefault.jpg

What they mean..

3e069875-a6ad-435a-8887-8d87c00da0e5.jpg

How cheeky of you to post the same picture twice, thinking we wouldn't notice!

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, good luck with that. It's the fasting selling section of the car market the world over. The fact that Porsche makes a couple of them tells you how well they sell.

But it's bizarre, it's not as if a Mini Cooper couldn't mount a kerb and kill 4 people too. That's not a thing specific to 4x4s.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I think it'd make a lot of sense to have a standard curb height and mandate that all vehicles legal to drive in the city must have a lower ride height than the curb height. It wouldn't necessarily stop a vehicle from mounting a curb, but I'd imagine it'd absorb a lot of the kinetic energy. I'd imagine the big problem with that would be the cost of standardizing all the curbs in the city.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
That's only like a 9 year difference according to what I found on the internet. And it makes sense since on older cars, diesel engines pollute more than gas engines. I'm guessing it also relates to particulate filters on diesel engines.
It is a 23 year old gas car that is allowed versus a 14 year old diesel that isn't. There was even no standard on fine particles for gas cars under Euro2.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
lmao, no. I swear people here can be ridiculous in their belief that even the most basic ownership rights should be stripped when they pose even the slightest safety threat, all the while ignoring stuff that kills far more people. I mean cool if you enjoy living in a society where your leaders and your countrymen consider the average citizen so irresponsible that they can't even own an SUV. But some of us actually need a vehicle like that to get to work on time in the winter.

Sadly there are a lot of people that think they can legislate paradise.

And no, I'm not giving up my suv because of an unfortunate car accident. I've done small cars in snow before. Nope. Not going back to that.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
The Macan doesn't seem big enough to warrant a ban. But those giant Ram trucks that have been popping up with increasingly greater frequency recently, those can fuck off. They don't belong on Dutch roads as far as I'm concerned.

The country is flat and we don't get much (if any) snowfall here so that excuse's out of the window.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
It is a 23 year old gas car that is allowed versus a 14 year old diesel that isn't. There was even no standard on fine particles for gas cars under Euro2.
old petrol cars should be banned from city centers too but the primary contributors right now are old diesels with no filters. There's just way more of these on the roads too, diesel was super popular for a long time since fuel was way cheaper. The last bit is a bit of conjecture since it's hard to find hard numbers on share of diesel cars that isn't newly registered cars.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yeah 100% would love a ban. There are so many of the stupid bloody things around here, lots of rich twats (mostly footballers) in the area who just barrel around in their massive overcompensation tanks churning the roads up. Endless potholes everywhere that the council doesn't bother to fix. Of course the drivers of these things don't care, it doesn't affect them, they barely even feel the bumps in the road. Meanwhile regular cars end up with catastrophic damage if they don't constantly dodge all the holes. They're a blight.

TanookiTom

Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
I think SUVs should disappear from cities/most of Germany not because of this accident, but because they're bad for the environment and nobody needs those cars around where we live.

But it's beyond silly to use such an accident to push through this political agenda. I don't see how it would have been much different with a more regular car...

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
The number of judgmental posts in this thread that parrot the "no one needs an SUV" line is laughable. So many on ERA don't seem to understand that people live different lives.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
I support banning all SUVs and pickups unless you provide written reason why you need one to the DMV and get a specific license for that purpose.

It's a good first step toward ridding the world of the personal automobile. ^_^

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
The data isn't saying what you think it is. People here are making it sound like people get hit by sedans every day and pop right back up, but if a SUV touches a pedestrian , 3 more people adjacent to the SUV are sent to the morgue.
... a study by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety that examined federal crash data concluded that "fatal single-vehicle crashes involving SUVs increased 81 percent, more than any other type of vehicle," between 2009 and 2016. Although cars and SUVs seemed to hit people at the same rate, when SUVs hit people they were more likely to die.

The SUV factor is likely why pedestrian deaths have steadily increased even as traffic deaths have slightly decreased over the same period. Although SUVs are much safer for the humans riding inside of them, SUVs are deadlier for the humans they strike.

On July 1, a major Detroit Free Press report showed that not only were SUVs contributing to a higher pedestrian death rate, automakers and safety agencies have known this for years and hadn't done anything to address the problem.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I support banning all SUVs and pickups unless you provide written reason why you need one to the DMV and get a specific license for that purpose.

It's a good first step toward ridding the world of the personal automobile. ^_^
Government paperwork; that will surely solve all the problems and nobody without an appropriate reason to own one will. Whatever an appropriate reason is...

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
the german green party should be banned
once i have the money i'll definitely get myself a big comfy suv

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
Some of you have truly lost it or know little about life outside of City CBD centres and it's sad.
it truly is amazing to see how people who have never left city life (except maybe a bit of suburbs) think things work. It's bizarre.

I live in a rural area. Not a big plot, 5 acres, but our vehicle situation is an SUV (small sized; Chevy Blazer 2-door) and a pickup (Dodge Ram, no lift kit or anything like that though). I cannot imagine having to justify to the DMV why I need those vehicles. People are fucking stupid.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Some of you have truly lost it or know little about life outside of City CBD centres and it's sad.

I love love love love love riding my motorcycles. You know this. But if governments ever got their collective acts together for a blanket ban on all recreational or non essential petrol/diesel burning, I would welcome it. (Provided it's part of an offensive that's based on data and equally impactful for both rich and poor). Not gonna happen though, so I'll just take the big twins for the occasional spin until the whole mess comes tumbling down like a house of cards.