• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Javelin is your go to choice/main when playing Anthem?

• Ranger

Votes: 199 20.2%
  • Colossus

Votes: 254 25.8%
  • Storm

Votes: 330 33.6%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 200 20.3%

• Total voters
Oct 30, 2017
The Devs were pretty active on the subReddit before it got super toxic, and still post the patch notes there, respond to some comments about bugs after each patch etc. So they're definitely getting the feedback from players.

I don't think everyone in this OT needs to be loving the game. But I'm with Zastava that I don't want it to become anything like the toxic cesspool of negativity that subReddit is. The ONE, sole redeeming quality of Era that keeps me around is that the game OTs here are usually full of people mostly playing and enjoying the game at hand, with a lot of the negativity being in threads around issues in the game, the review thread etc. I'd like to see it stay that way. And so far it has. People, myself included, are civilly posting about their experiences with the game and pointing out both what they're enjoying and what they aren't.

The toxic people have mostly stayed out after the first couple of week and just come into separate threads when ones where made about issues with the level 1 weapon, or equipping one legendary only got their own threads. And that's the way it should be IMO. When major negatives arise, threads should be made to call attention to them on the front page of Gaming--and that also keeps this OT in Hangouts from getting tons of shitposts and leaves it for those of us still playing and mostly enjoying the game to casually and civilly chat about it.

I hope Era stays this way with the OTs being generally positive, casual chats after the first couple of weeks--even for divisive games like this. If that changes, and they end up toxic like game-specific subReddits for divisive games I'd just be completely done with online gaming communties as the OTs here are the last bastion for me.

I dont think the OT here will ever be that bad. Mostly from what I've seen everyone here plays the game and is mostly positive about it. Plus mods would be in them pretty quick if it was just people coming to one off a post in here.

The soundtrack is phenomenal. Agreed though that it is a little sad to see a lot of the good in the game overlooked. It feels like no one really compliments how great it all looks, how well put together the cutscenes are, some top tier animation work both in cutscenes & gameplay, the soundtrack, etc. I suppose much of it is subjective but all of that stuff is very well done imo.

I know for myself that there's a lot of positive, especially when I was enjoying the main path and the conversations in the game, and there's plenty of times I admire the game while I'm playing it whether that be its music, or the beautiful world. But my experience has been at least a good 40% spent in loading screens, error messages, and being kicked to the main screen right before the after action report. Just quick play alone has been roughly 60% bugged for me where I have to quit out because the mission won't continue and there's no way forward. It's so hard to appreciate the good in this game when I can't even play it free of these issues. I have yet to actually quit out of Anthem by choice. I usually stop playing when it boots me out lol. Not the greatest of feelings that the games leaves you with.

With that being said, for people that have had experiences like mine, I can't blame them for over looking all the positive, they by all means should have thrown their copy in the trash day 1. But like you mentioned, its a shame, because there's a lot of good that the developers at BioWare achieved with this game. There's a lot of success and it's sad that a lot of people will never get to experience the positive that the game has to offer.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
The soundtrack is phenomenal. Agreed though that it is a little sad to see a lot of the good in the game overlooked. It feels like no one really compliments how great it all looks, how well put together the cutscenes are, some top tier animation work both in cutscenes & gameplay, the soundtrack, etc. I suppose much of it is subjective but all of that stuff is very well done imo.

No I totally agree and as you say maybe it is subjective. But when I see people say the game is trash and what not I'm like.. ok sure the end game has problems no doubt but the campaign, VO, artistic work, gameplay and all you said is great.

I seriously feel the music is some of the most overlooked in then scene right now.

The game is stuck in a negative feedback loop for now hopefully it can be turned around.

cdn_bacon13

Mar 13, 2019
I am still early on, only LVL 15. Working on the challenges of the Legionnaires. Only have Yvenia's left and just need the 3 revives. In my 15 hours or so I have 1. I don't ever see anyone go down and need a revive. How do you get this done LOL.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
I am still early on, only LVL 15. Working on the challenges of the Legionnaires. Only have Yvenia's left and just need the 3 revives. In my 15 hours or so I have 1. I don't ever see anyone go down and need a revive. How do you get this done LOL.
if you do event or missions that require you to revive NPCs (sentinels have a lot) they count as the revives you need.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man what a disappointing patch. I think this will be the nail in the coffin on Anthem for me. Division 2 is just too much fun.

But hey, I had my fun in Anthem, probably put in 40 hours, got all my Javelins to Masterwork. So I can't complain too much. Just a shame the game has so little to do.

Oct 27, 2017
Buff to the Ranger's Spark Beam, Elemental Ops and Badge of Devastation is flippin' amazing. Stacked up on Fire damage and and recharge speed, so I'm just constantly melting anything on GM2. Video detailing my build (with Elemental Rage) will be up by tomorrow.

45uHx6g.jpg

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I think I am done. I am gonna finish the story, but I see literally no reason to continue after that. They seem to have no timeline for when they are gonna have things fixed either. Single most disappointing game since Destiny 1. Unbelievable.

Just gonna send it back for Sekiro or Spiderman.

Last edited:

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Seems GM3 is still not worth it outside of free roam. Did my buddy's three legendary contracts on GM3 tonight. Got 11 MWs which is solid of course. But it probably took nearly three times as long as doing mine on GM2 this morning when I got 6 MWs and 2 legendaries. Of course the legendaries were just good luck. But even if they were MWs it would have been 8 vs 11 in 1/3 the time.

Stronghold glitched on him too as the Elysian chests never appeared for him to open. We heard the chest opening sound and got one from a random opening one, but never saw them and he still had his key when we got back to the fort.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely having the best luck with loot I've had in the game so far. Here are the last two expeditions I played:
8af0746e-c0b1-4a58-91b5-39e223fca2dc_Thumbnail.PNG

3d597a90-c7dc-454a-86ef-ba01a5fd02d9_Thumbnail.PNG

GM2 Legendary Mission and Heart of Rage (got the lego after the Furies).

Also my whole team had Elysian keys.

I have The Division 2 and it outclasses Anthem in every way, except for how interesting the actual gameplay is (to me).

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely having the best luck with loot I've had in the game so far. Here are the last two expeditions I played:
8af0746e-c0b1-4a58-91b5-39e223fca2dc_Thumbnail.PNG

3d597a90-c7dc-454a-86ef-ba01a5fd02d9_Thumbnail.PNG

GM2 Legendary Mission and Heart of Rage (got the lego after the Furies).

Also my whole team had Elysian keys.

I have The Division 2 and it outclasses Anthem in every way, except for how interesting the actual gameplay is (to me).

A whole group with keys! Woah lucky!

I've been playing the Division a bit as well (not much, playing coop with a friend with 2 kids, haha), and I've been playing Warframe again too. I love both of those games, and everything around both games is so much better, but I just LOVE the main combat loop in Anthem, so damn good.

I gotta get back to Destiny 2 again soon as well. Haha. Too many gun games to play.

Oct 27, 2017

Only if Anthem had Division 2's loot system and proper endgame all planned out, it would be an amazing game. March is almost over and BioWare's promised roadmap for the month hasn't come to fruition yet fully. What the hell...

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
You really have to be a fan of the Mass Effect-ish combat to really enjoy the end game
I never played ME back in the day and distinctly remember taking not much more than a cursory glance and thinking that the gameplay wouldn't be for me but comments like these make me think I should revist that decision!

Maybe if they bring out a remastered trilogy on PS4 I'll go for it.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Well, as much as the Ranger is definitely improved and the game is a blast to play, I feel like I'm wasting my time. I wandered several minutes in GM2 freeplay with no public events showing, absolutely no legendary from several GM2 legendary contracts, so I'm stuck with the few ones I don't use because they suck... Compared to TD2's free roam activities, map and insane loot droprate is mindblowing. There must be a guy in charge of the stupid loot system with a lot of power within the company, otherwise they would have fired his ass a long time ago.

Unless they add guaranteed Legendary as reward from killing GM2/GM3 bosses in Stronholds or the hardest missions, I won't be back. What a mess...

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Legendary contracts seem like a complete waste of time once you're geared. I do them for dailies only now - could do with that guaranteed component having a chance to spawn as legendary.

Anecdotally, I find myself with no shortage of world events when I drop into FP (though I still think more would be nice, and putting them on the map is a must) and I have no sense of direction in games so just fly around aimlessly.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
Yeah legendary contracts are only really good for alliance XP, weekly faction challenges because you often face dominion and outlaws, and Tarsis faction rep (lol). You can get legendaries from random drops but it's rare. I've run 3 this morning and got nothing but the guaranteed MW.

I know for myself that there's a lot of positive, especially when I was enjoying the main path and the conversations in the game, and there's plenty of times I admire the game while I'm playing it whether that be its music, or the beautiful world. But my experience has been at least a good 40% spent in loading screens, error messages, and being kicked to the main screen right before the after action report. Just quick play alone has been roughly 60% bugged for me where I have to quit out because the mission won't continue and there's no way forward. It's so hard to appreciate the good in this game when I can't even play it free of these issues. I have yet to actually quit out of Anthem by choice. I usually stop playing when it boots me out lol. Not the greatest of feelings that the games leaves you with.
Damn, you have a lot of patience! What platform is this? And have the patches improved this at all? Cause that shit is totally broken, and I would not still be playing or mildly defending this game if my experience was like yours.

Last edited:

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
A guy I play regularly with (I don't think his internet is great, we've played Destiny together for years without any real fuss) has an issue where when he loads into the mission his interceptor will spawn with the default armour and/or no guns and then shortly after it'll kick him. Sometimes it takes a while and it'll load in, but usually he'll get booted back to the main menu.

This happens... I want to say at least 40% of the time we join missions together (and he has the problem when we're not together as well).

My personal experience with the game is much better than that. I don't generally get kicked from missions (I'll quite often get an error when I load back into Tarsis from a mission, but at that point it doesn't matter anyway) and I've also experienced almost no issues obviously related to lag/latency.

QP has been almost universally broken though - I think I'm being generous when I say 3/4 QP missions have been bugged for me. Hopefully that's improved since the patch on Tuesday, I'll try it out later today.

deafmedal

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, you have a lot of patience! What platform is this? And have the patches improved this at all? Cause that shit is totally broken, and I would not still be playing or mildly defending this game if my experience was like yours.
Their 60% of QP number is far better than mine was, I had to choose easy difficulty for it to even work. I was never able to get a higher difficulty to work. The last time I played (the weekend before Div2) the game crashed several times as per usual so after the 4/5 crash that day I logged off and haven't been back. My performance issues are the worst I've experienced, my first console was the NES at launch. Really hard to defend the game and dev when this is my experience.
PS4 btw.

I still keep an eye on this thread and other news in hopes that maybe performance issues are starting to dissipate and loot issues are getting better, not to mention content issues but it still looks like I should hold off. Which is a shame because even though I am enjoying Div2 I'd still rather be playing Anthem.

yellow wallpaper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Haven't played it for a few weeks so I may be misremembering. Did buff the flight and weapon cool downs? Performance on my pc is also better, I don't have to use rtss anymore.

Really enjoy the game and hope they continue working on it.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
A guy I play regularly with (I don't think his internet is great, we've played Destiny together for years without any real fuss) has an issue where when he loads into the mission his interceptor will spawn with the default armour and/or no guns and then shortly after it'll kick him. Sometimes it takes a while and it'll load in, but usually he'll get booted back to the main menu.

This happens... I want to say at least 40% of the time we join missions together (and he has the problem when we're not together as well).

My personal experience with the game is much better than that. I don't generally get kicked from missions (I'll quite often get an error when I load back into Tarsis from a mission, but at that point it doesn't matter anyway) and I've also experienced almost no issues obviously related to lag/latency.

QP has been almost universally broken though - I think I'm being generous when I say 3/4 QP missions have been bugged for me. Hopefully that's improved since the patch on Tuesday, I'll try it out later today.
Their 60% of QP number is far better than mine was, I had to choose easy difficulty for it to even work. I was never able to get a higher difficulty to work. The last time I played (the weekend before Div2) the game crashed several times as per usual so after the 4/5 crash that day I logged off and haven't been back. My performance issues are the worst I've experienced, my first console was the NES at launch. Really hard to defend the game and dev when this is my experience.
PS4 btw.

I still keep an eye on this thread and other news in hopes that maybe performance issues are starting to dissipate and loot issues are getting better, not to mention content issues but it still looks like I should hold off. Which is a shame because even though I am enjoying Div2 I'd still rather be playing Anthem.
Quickplay is fixed, at least on PC. Haven't had a bugged out mission since definitely this patch, maybe the one before? Anyway it's been a while.
Haven't played it for a few weeks so I may be misremembering. Did buff the flight and weapon cool downs? Performance on my pc is also better, I don't have to use rtss anymore.

Really enjoy the game and hope they continue working on it.
They improved flight speed and increased time taken to overheat by 20% each on the last patch.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry can someone please explain the keys and elysian chest thing for me? We do the daily legendary story to get keys and do any stronghold to open a chest using said key?

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry can someone please explain the keys and elysian chest thing for me? We do the daily legendary story to get keys and do any stronghold to open a chest using said key?
Open up your dailies challenge (challenge > path to glory > daily) and the challenge that awards a key has a key symbol next to it. Note that you need to fill the bar, so if it's next to contracts for example and there are two contracts required for the daily once you've done both you'll get the key. When the main UI is up, how many keys you have is displayed next to your coins.

Then you just run a SH and, when the chests spawn at the end, walk up to one of them and interact with it. As many chests will open as there are people in the group with keys.

They improved flight speed and increased time taken to overheat by 20% each on the last patch.
I need to test this more, but with ranger on Tuesday evening it didn't seem improved at all and I was definitely being knocked out of the air immediately after being hit with fire.

Quickplay is fixed, at least on PC. Haven't had a bugged out mission since definitely this patch, maybe the one before? Anyway it's been a while.
Good to hear. On PS4 I definitely had the issue after the last patch, but I'll check later to see if it's improved after this one.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Open up your dailies challenge (challenge > path to glory > daily) and the challenge that awards a key has a key symbol next to it. Note that you need to fill the bar, so if it's next to contracts for example and there are two contracts required for the daily once you've done both you'll get the key. When the main UI is up, how many keys you have is displayed next to your coins.

Then you just run a SH and, when the chests spawn at the end, walk up to one of them and interact with it. As many chests will open as there are people in the group with keys.

Ok, thanks.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017

This was supposed to be fixed with the last patch(pilot data error, right?) but if he still has the problem when he loads in he just needs to switch his equipped weapon and the server should sync up his gear.

It isn't fixed, at least not QP strongholds. Got put into tyrant mine with all 12 echos deposited and "kill remaining scars" message. Problem was all scars were dead. This happened with 3 consecutive TM runs. Got put into Scar SH just to get teleported into the ground with a pulsating light and audio blaring. Then to respawn with half my body above ground just to sink further into the previous while light state.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
This was supposed to be fixed with the last patch(pilot data error, right?) but if he still has the problem when he loads in he just needs to switch his equipped weapon and the server should sync up his gear.
Thanks for this, I've suggested he tries it out. I'm not 100% sure what error he gets but we definitely played on Tuesday after the patch and he had the problem still.

Deleted member 47843

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
I never played ME back in the day and distinctly remember taking not much more than a cursory glance and thinking that the gameplay wouldn't be for me but comments like these make me think I should revist that decision!

Maybe if they bring out a remastered trilogy on PS4 I'll go for it.

To be fair, it is still quite different that Anthem as there is no flying and hovering. It's a cover based shooter, but the powers with quick recharge times and combos won't primers and detonators etc is similar. Especially in ME 2, 3 and Andromeda which are all more action oriented than the first.

The first three are amazing games and some of my all-time favorites. Andromeda doesn't reach that standard, but is way better than it gets credit for IMO.

Yeah legendary contracts are only really good for alliance XP, weekly faction challenges because you often face dominion and outlaws, and Tarsis faction rep (lol). You can get legendaries from random drops but it's rare. I've run 3 this morning and got nothing but the guaranteed MW.

It's crazy how much the RNG seems to vary across people and game modes. The legendary contracts are pretty good to me, at least for MWs.

Yesterday day I got 2 legendaries and 6 MWs running mine on GM2. Then I got 11 MWs running my buddy's on GM 3. This morning I got 7 MWs running mine on GM2. That's pretty typical for me as I usually get 6-8 MWs on GM2 and have only had a couple times of only 3 or 4.

I've had shit luck overall though with only 4 legendary drops since launch day. Though a lot of that is I just don't have the patience to run free play or strongholds for hours as I find them so boring. At most I can do the mine 2 or 3 times a day (don't enjoy the other ones much) and an hour or so of freeplay.

I like the contracts more as there's not the wandering around waiting for events like free play, and at least there's some variety in what events (from an admittedly too limited pool) you get each day rather than being exactly the same each time like strongholds. I just wish more legendaries dropped in them.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Did the first Legendary, pretty easy on GM1. Need to ramp it up.

Also, running the fire Herald gun and the Acid MW for attacks. Super nice to be priming twice. Great for setting up other people for combos.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Anyone here not running interceptor? All 3 LCs today it was me and 3 interceptors and all I heard the entire time was cash registers going off all around me.

dumbo11

Apr 29, 2018
Anyone here not running interceptor? All 3 LCs today it was me and 3 interceptors and all I heard the entire time was cash registers going off all around me.
After GM1, class populations seem to be: interceptor > colossus >> ranger > storm.

2 rangers in a group is uncommon, but I don't think I've ever seen 2 storms GM2+.

Deleted member 47843

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
After GM1, class populations seem to be: interceptor > colossus >> ranger > storm.

2 rangers in a group is uncommon, but I don't think I've ever seen 2 storms GM2+.

I play storm and see another pretty often. Think there was one in two of my three contracts this morning and was just one in he strong hold run I just finished. Probably less likely if you rent playing storm yourself.

I got a legendary and 5 MWs fo m the mine. Legendary was for interceptor, as was one of the MWs. That class is up to 612 for me now so I guess I'll make that my secondary for now. Was still happy to see the legendary drop from the first chest in the mine after I deposited all echoes the first two stages. Got Colossus parts and a vinyl from my key and rando's key.

I don't know if it's me me just having better RNG or the patch, but that's 3 legendaries in two days after only 2 since launch. Hoping it's the patch. Getting 1-2 legendaries a day in GM2 from doing the 3 legendary contracts, a stronghold to use your daily key and the daily heroic (ran out of time to do thst this morning) is pretty reasonable IMO. That's 2-3 hours of playing in my experience and a fun gameplay loop on days I have the time.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
Data mined stuff that is new. This stuff looks awesome!

New Armors
New Weapons, dominion based
New MW Supports

Oct 30, 2017

PS4 pro. I thought most were experiencing this, but from reading this thread It seems that's not the case. Well I've been playing a lot less. I found the game pretty addicting up until I finished the main game and talked to everyone. I just pushed through the issues.

Since then I usually just play an hour here and there if I have time and stop when I get booted lol. It's just decreased my motivation and the amount of time I play. In all honesty if I didn't have a soft spot for BioWare I wouldn't have bought the game, or at least traded it in. I just want the updates and hope that the issues will resolve soon. Even though the issues are still there the last patch seems a bit better. On start up it's just expected I'll have to see the BW logo a few times and try again. I actually got to see the after action reports on two missions and got my loot yesterday. So that's something.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think I am done. I am gonna finish the story, but I see literally no reason to continue after that. They seem to have no timeline for when they are gonna have things fixed either. Single most disappointing game since Destiny 1. Unbelievable.

Just gonna send it back for Sekiro or Spiderman.
huh? you havent even hit the end game yet. the game basically begins after you finish the story. is this your first loot game?

the biggest issue with the game right now is legendary loot which is needed to get OP in GM3. they have a very low drop rate. but MWs drop like candy in GM1 and GM2 and even in Hard mode. you should have no problems decking out your characters with zero legendaries for the next 30-40 hours. The whole point of the game is to create builds that suit your playstyle by playing around with abilities, weapons and components as you go up difficulty levels in the end game content.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
is this game supposed to be this clunky? There are a lot of times when my character dont move or stuck in an animation. So annoying...

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
is this game supposed to be this clunky? There are a lot of times when my character dont move or stuck in an animation. So annoying...
Sometimes you can get frozen and your character does not get covered in ice, yet you still get locked in place and have to mash jump to get out.

Apart from that, I have not had any stuck animations.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
huh? you havent even hit the end game yet. the game basically begins after you finish the story. is this your first loot game?

the biggest issue with the game right now is legendary loot which is needed to get OP in GM3. they have a very low drop rate. but MWs drop like candy in GM1 and GM2 and even in Hard mode. you should have no problems decking out your characters with zero legendaries for the next 30-40 hours. The whole point of the game is to create builds that suit your playstyle by playing around with abilities, weapons and components as you go up difficulty levels in the end game content.

And why would I give a single damn about the end game right now?

Even if I grinded my ass off in the end game for days and weeks all I would get is the same exact guns and abilities I already have just with better stats. This isn't like Destiny or Borderlands where Exotic/Legendary weapons and armor are fundamentally different than the rest of the loot that is available. They do not vastly change the way that i experienced the game like the items in those games do. Yeah there are inscriptions that give better stats and improvements, but they do not change the way things actually work on a fundamental level. They just make things better than normal and that to me is not worth the time investment. Not only that but the big time "Elysian" chests that they advertised are filled with almost nothing but random stickers and graphics. None of the new armor pieces like they originally advertised. Armor pieces which btw cost an arm and a leg on the market unless you wanna pay real money and I don't wanna pay real money on a broken game. Then add onto that the ridiculous mount of repetition of shallow content that I would need to grind in order to even get to that point and that to me does not sound like fun at all. Especially when there are other looter shooter options out there like Warframe and Division 2 which are each vastly superior in their own ways.

Anthem is a flawed, unfinished, and broken game. An opinion that is backed up by all the hours I have played getting to the end of the story. And the Devs seem like they are going to take their sweet time fixing it and adding onto it and I feel no desire whatsoever to sit around twiddling my thumbs while I wait for them to do it. I tried to enjoy the game because I love Bioware. I have loved every game they have put out since Mass Effect, but this game is an embarassment for them. This is so far below the quality that I expect out of a Bioware game that I honestly find myself questioning whether or not Bioware really is Bioware still. To be perfectly honest I enjoyed Andromeda more than I enjoyed Anthem. And if you told me a year ago that I would feel that way now I would have laughed in your face and yet here I am.

If you enjoy it then more power to you. I am glad you enjoy the game, but I myself feel no need to stick around given the current state of the game and its content.