• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Javelin is your go to choice/main when playing Anthem?

• Ranger

Votes: 199 20.2%
  • Colossus

Votes: 254 25.8%
  • Storm

Votes: 330 33.6%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 200 20.3%

• Total voters

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Anthem |OT2| Scars are NOT people too

Also, I highly recommend mixing in the side quests with the main story. IMHO The NPCs are one of the strongest parts of the game and you get a great feel for the world from interacting with them. The main quest does not always feel extremely urgent, so it works well. Also do all of the conversations because most of them are great. There is even some fairly significant plot in the emails.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, but if the only way you can make Anthem's story good is by comparing it to Destiny 1 (of all things), then you're playing yourself.

Even comparing it to Destiny 2, I've much preferred Anthem's story so far.

The question was specifically in reference to Destiny 1, but Anthem so far - and that could change, but I'm 7-8 hours in - has had a better story than the other looter shooters I've played by a large margin.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
What feels bad about it? Floaty controls? Guns feel weak?

I wouldn't say bad it's just destiny is the best shooter on consoles, feels more like a call of duty. It's fine just guys heads don't pop and such, but they hit hard and easy to tell what you hit so it's fine. Ability just feel so good and refresh so fast the guns are what u you when your other stuff is cooling down. Why shoot 1 guy when u can freeze them then hit them with lighting that spreads the freeze to everyone near them?

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017
While I only hit 2 bugs in 10 hrs (one hard crash, one audio bug) Anthem is buggier then Destiny 1 at launch. Gun play isn't as good but skills and flying far make up for it. I get the same satisfaction I get with destiny when playing, the loop is fun. I usally play a few strikes or rounds of gambit a night to unwind, Anthem fills that need as it stands now.

That's kind of what I was wondering. If the gun play and loop was okish enough to be worth it while they try to fix the game and add content like how I found destiny 1 was.

The guns feel like they are barely there. There's no real feeling of feedback or impact. They feel unconnected from the world.

Well that sounds horrible. :(

I wouldn't say bad it's just destiny is the best shooter on consoles, feels more like a call of duty. It's fine just guys heads don't pop and such, but they hit hard and easy to tell what you hit so it's fine. Ability just feel so good and refresh so fast the guns are what u you when your other stuff is cooling down. Why shoot 1 guy when u can freeze them then hit them with lighting that spreads the freeze to everyone near them?

Well that doesn't sound bad. Destiny had great gun play it was so satisfying. If anthem plays more like CoD I can be fine with that. Specially like you said with all the abilities on top of that.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's kind of what I was wondering. If the gun play and loop was okish enough to be worth it while they try to fix the game and add content like how I found destiny 1 was.

Well that sounds horrible. :(

Well that doesn't sound bad. Destiny had great gun play it was so satisfying. If anthem plays more like CoD I can be fine with that. Specially like you said with all the abilities on top of that.

I disagree heavily. Anthems guns feel amazing to me. It might just be because I am a Colossus but the auto cannon is like firing a chainsaw that sprays bullets

Mini-Me

Oct 25, 2017
Quickplay really is a tremendous way to see the wide variety of mission ruining progression bugs this game has.

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think I could tell you Destiny's story in the original haha

I can at least tell you Anthem's. The characters are also far more enjoyable in Anthem than in Destiny.

"I don't have time to explain why I don't have time to explain." Something something light, something something fight the darkness, uhhh "they come from the moooon!" That's about the best I can do.

Also wow.. the loading times with my SSD feel like what they should be on a normal HDD.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Quickplay really is a tremendous way to see the wide variety of mission ruining progression bugs this game has.
I'm up to seven hard crashes and that's not even including the progression trigger bugs. I've counted all Strongholds and two regular missions to have issues with that so far. This is just madness.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Guns are defently secondary but I've been using the Anvil (scout rifle like) and a Machine Pistol (full auto side arm ish) for when thing get close. As a storm I'm usally hovering above the battle field and the Anvil hits hard with a nice thud when u get hit weak points. I hear snipers are really good for weak point dmg but just like destiny I suck at using them.

I'd totally recomend trying the EA access thing if just want to try it out. You can get a good feel for it for $5. If that's an option.

Mini-Me

Oct 25, 2017
I'm up to seven hard crashes and that's not even including the progression trigger bugs. I've counted all Strongholds and two regular missions to have issues with that so far. This is just madness.
I just started using quickplay two hours ago to try and get to level 30 and have had three missions that I joined have broken progression. Runes not spawning, enemies infinitely spawning, door locked.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Not a lot of people, but it's an example of how you can get it. People are offering and making groups on his chat now lol

Heres the worse part - this exploit was discovered before 2/3rds of the platforms have had the game made available to them, meaning there are going to be plenty of new players who new the exploit and save this mission for it. Right now on PC, its fortunate that most players at endgame have done everything, even though its still not impossible to take advantage of this. But with a fresh batch of players? Yeahh... this weekend is gonna be fun.
Actually, I just reached that point in the story and have the quest now. Seems like it's a low level story quest, as I'm still level 14. So the farm is basically useless for the mission host, as they don't have access to epic/masterwork loot yet at this point.

And it makes me wonder, why would anyone who have the quest offer it to others who are already at endgame? What'd they gain from that? Because as far as I'm aware, you can't progress the story without finishing this particular quest. Without progressing the story, grinding to endgame will be a huge chore.

Apr 8, 2018
Yeah, I think I'm going to save the last 6-7 hours I have on my trial till the day one update releases and more of my friends start to play. Playing solo so far just isn't clicking with me.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I just started using quickplay two hours ago to try and get to level 30 and have had three missions that I joined have broken progression. Runes not spawning, enemies infinitely spawning, door locked.
Maybe today is worse for some reason but the game is just not working on almost any of these missions.

Syntax

Oct 31, 2017
I have five minutes left on my trial, so this seems as good a time as any to sum up my thoughts so far.

I feel like I don't really know what this game is going for, and it makes me worry that the concept of a multiplayer loot shooter is fundamentally incompatible with a good story experience. I've gotten to know a few of the characters and the basic outlines of the story, but everything is so unmoored from any sense of greater reality. I don't really have a clear idea of what kind of world this is or even how many people/settlements still exist in it--did the Heart of Rage destroy civilization, or is it this world's equivalent of 9/11? Is there a refugee situation? It's hinted at several times and some of the artifacts you find around the fort mention resource shortages, but by and large you have no clear picture of just how much of an emergency there was and whether it's still going on in some form.

Much of the story ends up being told during missions, which isn't ideal because half the time I'm in the middle of a firefight and have no clue what's going on. Outside of missions, you get to talk to NPCs at the fort, but even though I like a bunch of them, I wonder why they're even there for me to talk to sometimes, and I don't have the same kind of relationship with them that I did with people in Mass Effect or Dragon Age. Crucially, I've never gone on missions with any of these people, so I don't get the benefit of party banter, nor the option for some of them to comment on whatever's going on in the mission during the downtimes. Of course, missions don't HAVE downtimes, so it's not like they'd be able to comment anyways.

As a result, even when I enjoy the conversations, a lot of the NPCs feel like padding. Kristin Schaal voices one of the shop merchants, and I love her stories, but they're basically pointless and the shop she runs never changes. She'll always end a conversation with "oh by the way we got some new stuff in," and as far as I can tell this is never actually true; it's just the same crafting materials that are always in the shop.

Borlands 2 seems like a perfect example of a loot shooter with a good narrative. I played through and enjoyed that game several times in no small part due to the lore and story. So it can work in that style of game.

It's a cooperative, hub-based loot shooter with a hub and (small) loading times. So in my mind Destiny and Anthem are structured very similarly to it. Wonder why I don't see the comparison more often.

Not having played Anthem, though, I can't really comment on the other issues you've mentioned. I am leaning toward waiting awhile before picking it up, maybe on the cheap.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Well you are competing with other players for loot chests in freeplay, so its not a completely free ride.
Yeah. This is like a weird new meta game in and of itself lmao.

Unless you have a group of 4 friends running this scheme, it's pretty tricky to complete these chest runs. Unless you have the means to do so, it isn't as broken as I thought it was prior to trying it myself.
I had to map out my own little route and find different chests that aren't being spread about in online communities to compete.

Last edited:

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any place to view what the weekly coin payout was? Although even with a bunch of friends at tier 8 it looked like it was going to be very meager. I hope they adjust that because if you can come up with less than 2K coins from 20 hours of gameplay it will be a pretty pointless feature.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
Borlands 2 seems like a perfect example of a loot shooter with a good narrative. I played through and enjoyed that game several times in no small part due to the lore and story. So it can work in that style of game.

I would say Borderlands 2 is the one looter shooter with what will probably be a better, more enjoyable narrative than Anthem.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017

It's a cooperative, hub-based loot shooter with a hub and (small) loading times. So in my mind Destiny and Anthem are structured very similarly to it. Wonder why I don't see the comparison more often.

Not having played Anthem, though, I can't really comment on the other issues you've mentioned. I am leaning toward waiting awhile before picking it up, maybe on the cheap.

It's funny, you're totally right and I did think about Borderlands, but for some reason I don't think of that game as being all that similar to Destiny and Anthem for some reason. I think part of it might be the more overt MMO elements of the latter games. It might also be that I played all three Borderlands games solo, without any co-op partners at all, and felt they were complete single-player experiences.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
Just had one of the main mission fail to trigger so we were all stuck. Had to restart. Yay.

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017
Guns are defently secondary but I've been using the Anvil (scout rifle like) and a Machine Pistol (full auto side arm ish) for when thing get close. As a storm I'm usally hovering above the battle field and the Anvil hits hard with a nice thud when u get hit weak points. I hear snipers are really good for weak point dmg but just like destiny I suck at using them.

I'd totally recomend trying the EA access thing if just want to try it out. You can get a good feel for it for $5. If that's an option.

Think I'm going to give the $5 a try since most people saying the gunplay is pretty good. Plus I want to use the colossus and the auto gun firing like a chainsaw spraying bullets sold me on giving the trial a try hehe.

Thanks everyone for your opinions on the gameplay.

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
I actually think the end game gearing is fun. I have a masterwork venom spray on my interceptor. It gives me 700% super charge per enemy hit with it. If the group is big enough i can go from 0-100 super.

It adds layers to the play style of your choice. Plus the fact that skills are equips mean they can make new legendary skills.

Other little things I love about the game.

When you are fighting a titan and you kill it before it suicides, you get better loot drops.

I've been pleasantly surprised with the amount of worldquest variety. Sure it's still go here and kill this/deliver this. The location changes up a lot and you can get different variations. For example, I've run into the dominion in one area doing experiments on skorpions. Eventually though I saw a quest there where they were doing experiments on a titan. Depending on if you succeeded in the first step of the mission determined what would happen. If you fail a titan/luminary spawns. Which can net you better loot if you kill it quick enough.

I also love the luminary and titan fights. They seem like a slog initially. Once you start coordinating with your team and hitting weak points, it melts.

I really don't think the claim of no end game is completely correct. There are a ton of end game quests that further flesh the lore out. You can unlock new blueprints to be able to craft masterwork gear. Crafting essentially lets you target specific pieces without having to rely on rng. Open world content is compelling enough if you enjoy the core gameplay loop.

Strong holds are kind of a waste of game content IMO. I would have rather them put the development time into fleshing out the open world content.

I think Anthem is a good selling point for a Premier Access sub. 15 dollars for all the content in the game right now is a incredibly good deal, even with all the technical issues. I still think the game is worth 60 dollars on launch. The story is engaging enough to make you want to engage with the systems. There are a lot of sidequests attached to likeable characters.

It really is up to Bioware to deliver on supporting the game post release.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Has anyone else ran into issues where you lose loot after a DC? I was really hoping that was fixed but it hit me last night during freeplay.

I took out my lower level Ranger in easy freeplay to clear out temple stuff hoping to grab some epic gear for him at the same time. I ran around for close to 2 hrs doing chests and such before getting DCed. I had collected at least 5-6 epic items during that point.

I joined back on my session and finished up a few more temple requirements and exited expedition. I picked up one epic right at the end, and unfortunately there was only that one on the mission complete screen.

I was hoping they were just put in my inventory but I checked and there was nothing.

Still kind of baffling its a loot game without a proper real time inventory.

La Fawn Duh

Apr 3, 2018
So im Level 23 (with sidequest activity) and apparently already at the last Story Mission? Expected it to be way longer. Sad to hear its already ending, story-wise.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
So im Level 23 and apparently already at the last Story Mission? Expected it to be way longer. Sad to hear its already ending, story-wise.
Yeah, it's not that long, but long enough for a game like this. Moreover, the story doesn't stop there, they'll add more story in 'Acts' later, which will change the world one way or another. Think of Guild Wars 2 living story.

Stider

Oct 25, 2017
I just watched a vid by mtashed where he showed the masterworks he got from a 12hr gaming session. Some bugs with gear abilities not proccing right or actually proccing a different gear skill instead. But some of the weapons+skills had very nice abilities such as weapons inflicting primers after a few hits etc.

Ennsa

Oct 25, 2017
Got 2 of my first masterwork items and they happen to both be the exact same sniper rifle. Trying the one with 35% luck on it.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Michael Gamble just posted this on Twitter:

So if I'm understanding this correctly, the requirements for the tomb start being tracked earlier?

Also:

which ties into...

EDIT: Beaten on that last Tweet lol. But yeah still like that they seem to be monitoring the web and addressing issues

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Michael Gamble just posted this on Twitter:

So if I'm understanding this correctly, the requirements for the tomb start being tracked earlier?

Also:

which ties into...

EDIT: Beaten on that last Tweet lol. But yeah still like that they seem to be monitoring the web and addressing issues

Yeah, from my understanding, they've been applying hotfixes live while people are still playing. No need to put down the server at all.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
No need to pull the game down when half the player base or more is probably in a loading screen anyway
tenor.gif

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
So frustrated right now...3/4hr into tyrant mine on hard...struggling room by room. My internet goes down for like 5 mins max. Lose the group which is understandable but also lose all the drops I had accumulated till the disconnect? What game does this?

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
This week will be interesting as folks are gonna be in the office full time. Can't wait to see whats addressed.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Posted this other tweet of Michael's over on the review thread because of some of the comments I read on there:

Hot damn I'm sure as we speak they are doing all they can to address the smaller fires reported by people over the Early Access. Not sure what can be done on the short term to address the other issues but still. At least the team seems very active online and is working on fixing the game.