• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which is the one true Super Mario Bros. 2?

• Super Mario Bros. 2 (aka Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels, Super Mario Bros For Super Players)

Votes: 87 11.5%
  • Super Mario Bros. 2 (aka Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic, Super Mario USA)

Votes: 672 88.5%

• Total voters

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Let's put it this way American SMB 2 is a much better 2d Mario than Super Mario Sunshine is a 3D Mario.

Just compare the impact each game had on subsequent iterations.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
Super Mario USA is my least favourite of any Mario platforming game, 2D or 3D, so I picked the original Super Mario Bros 2. I have never loved Mario USA/Super Mario Bros 2/Doki Doki Panic, and I never will, although I admit that its first level theme is really catchy. The caveat to my Japanese SMB2 pick is that I played the Mario All Stars version of the game, which makes the worlds substantially easier by allowing the player to save after each level, instead of upon completing an entire world. If I were forced to play the NES versions, I'd probably have a better time with Super Mario USA, although I wouldn't enjoy either game, really.