• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
The fact that we're getting this remaster should be enough "proof" that an Alan Wake 2 is coming, even if it's likely years away.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Game still stands up visually, but even a massive resolution boost would do wonders. Pretty sure I posted this this morning but fuck it - so excited for this remaster, this is one of my top 10 games of all time and I try to replay it every few years around Halloween. ❤️ Alan Wake, ❤️ Remedy

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Is a shame about being EGS exclusive, though as others have said it is better than Epic stealing third party titles to force people onto their platform. No doubt it will suffer on the storefront simply because EGS has only 15% share or something, and Alan Wake wasn't exactly super mainstream of a title. I just don't want to see Epic ever claim Steam has a monopoly on the PC marketplace again, as only one game has ever been actually exclusive to Steam and that's Half-Life: Alyx.

Im intrigued by the quality of the remaster, I loved Control visually but it's biggest draw was the world concept and amazing art style. Alan Wake was a great game for its time, but I don't know how well the style of game is going to hold up. This confirms Alan Wake 2 I guess, hopefully it takes more Control elements into design.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
A much needed remaster. I tried replaying the original via BC on Xbox a while back, and man, that low resolution does not look good on a 4K TV. I had no issue playing 720p games, but Alan Wake's lower resolution made it hard to go back to.

A shame that American Nightmare isn't included. The publishing rights for that one also reverted to Remedy, right?

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
sam-lake-cheers.gif

Will finally get to play it :D

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is a shame about being EGS exclusive, though as others have said it is better than Epic stealing third party titles to force people onto their platform. No doubt it will suffer on the storefront simply because EGS has only 15% share or something, and Alan Wake wasn't exactly super mainstream of a title. I just don't want to see Epic ever claim Steam has a monopoly on the PC marketplace again, as only one game has ever been actually exclusive to Steam and that's Half-Life: Alyx.

Im intrigued by the quality of the remaster, I loved Control visually but it's biggest draw was the world concept and amazing art style. Alan Wake was a great game for its time, but I don't know how well the style of game is going to hold up. This confirms Alan Wake 2 I guess, hopefully it takes more Control elements into design.
I don't see the game selling like crazy, but definitely better than before, as a multiplatform game and, thankfully, without Red Dead Redemption to get the attention.

Oct 27, 2017
Man I can't wait to replay this. I remember this game being downright scary in parts and very creepy/atmospheric. Definitely down for another playthrough.

BionicDreamer

Nov 6, 2017
I replay this game like once every other year, I absolutely love it and I cannot wait for this, thanks Remedy <3

Lyriell

Oct 27, 2017
I never quite understood why it was a good license deal to have Energizer on the batterys when they last a good 40 seconds in game...

But yes, if my tense moment of gameplay is not interrupted by the Verizon ad or a car ad.... I'm out.

GavinGT

Sep 28, 2020
I can't wait to see that fucking jacket in high res.

I never quite understood why it was a good license deal to have Energizer on the batterys when they last a good 40 seconds in game...

It's also weird that Energizer would want you overcharging your flashlight to burn the darkness away.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
But will it still have a Verizon ad?
I imagine they'll replace it with a Monarch Solutions reference, if that's allowable given where the rights for Quantum Break are.

So why is MS sitting on it?

There wasn't interest for whatever reason on Microsoft's end to pursue a sequel according to Virtala. Given the shift over at Microsoft though lately combined with Control's success, maybe interest will be renewed out of some deal (ex. Control 2 with exclusive QB DLC).

I doubt it though given it sounds like Remedy has moved on from whatever was there among the apathy from Microsoft and the latter entity has plenty to offer without needing to try and repair that relationship in a way that likely Remedy wouldn't even have interest in.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Be interesting to see how that stacks up with the original PC version which still looks excellent lighting wise. The volumetric lighting and fog effect still looks better than what you see today in most games. Adding ray traced lighting, new textures and upgraded characters would probably elevate it to look as good as basically a current gen game.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
As someone who loved Control but never got a chance to try out Alan Wake, I'm really excited about this.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
I'm all for remastered visuals (it's one of my favorite games of the past decade, I even got the collector edition which looks like a book), but I actually wonder if there's not a few design choices I would like them to revisit. American Nightmare was able to improve encounters in many aspects (with a way inferior story/setting in my opinion), and I kind of wish some of that bled into the original game.

Still, I'll be there day 1.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The atmosphere, sound design and music carry it since the combat is tedious at best after an hour or two.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Feels super weird to say this release is "for you" (the fans) and exclude American Nightmare.

oh well, there's a chance they could add it as DLC at least.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Feels super weird to say this release is "for you" (the fans) and exclude American Nightmare.

Why? American Nightmare was a separate game released years after the original with a ton of unique assets. Remastering it on top of the original game (and DLC) would require a ton of extra time and money.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Be interesting to see how that stacks up with the original PC version which still looks excellent lighting wise. The volumetric lighting and fog effect still looks better than what you see today in most games. Adding ray traced lighting, new textures and upgraded characters would probably elevate it to look as good as basically a current gen game.

Is this the same as the original reveal trailer/screen shots? Or was this PC version just a better version of the console version.

Edit - nevermind I was thinking about the Prototype footage.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't kept up with the thread today - has there been ANY mention of improved gameplay, changes of that or any nature whatsoever?

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't kept up with the thread today - has there been ANY mention of improved gameplay, changes of that or any nature whatsoever?
"Alan Wake Remastered is the original experience you fell in love with all those years ago. We did not want to change that. But the visuals all around, including the character model of Alan Wake himself and the cinematics, have been updated and improved with some choice next-generation upgrades."

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
This, Dead Space and Alien Isolation were the 3 I really want to see get overhauled RT lighting.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember being so hyped and then so disappointed with game when it released can't do it again

Reading this thread is pretty eye opening. Did I play the same game as all the people who loved it?

Maybe if you had just played Assassins Creed 3 four times in a row, it might not feel that repetitive. But otherwise I'm not seeing it.

joeposh

Oct 27, 2017
I played this game for the first time a few months ago, and feel like the visuals are the last thing that needs upgrading. It's a cool experience but the gameplay and navigation mechanics are incredibly repetitive and dated. Realize this is all probably just laying the groundwork for a sequel, so I'm all for it, but hard to get excited about a current gen facelift.