• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
So, online petitions are obviously bullshit. They mean nothing, and go nowhere. But there's one going around today that actually proposes a pretty good idea.

Let's Move Halloween

The petition, started last year by the Halloween & Costume Association, has more than 63,000 signatures as of Thursday evening. The trade association is designed to "promote and build the celebration of Halloween in the United States," according to its website.

"It's time for a Safer, Longer, Stress-Free Celebration!" the organization wrote in its petition. "Let's move Halloween to the last Saturday of October!"

Halloween, traditionally celebrated on Oct. 31 each year, falls on a Thursday this year. If the holiday were to take place on the month's final Saturday this year, it would be on Oct. 26.

It's wierd, because the motives of this idea are pretty hollowly capitalist - it's by an agency that represents costume companies, and a Saturday Halloween means more costume sales. It also pushes the false narrative that Halloween is inherently unsafe, and that's also pretty shitty.

Yet I cannot think of a single reason not to adopt this change permanently. Halloween is a 100% apolitical holiday, an American hodgepodge of Pagan & Mexican traditions into one night of spooky skeletons and sweet treats. It fucking owns bones. But it's also inherently limited, falling on a school night literally 71% of the time. So why not adopt Thanksgiving rules, and just permanently set it on the last Saturday? Adults already celebrate Halloween for basically the entire month of October - this mostly just benefits kids who really only have one night for Trick or Treating.

Shit, why not do this for ALL holidays - provided they're not attached to a specific date for very obvious religious reasons. Holidays are an inherently made up concept - why not make them up in a way that benefits the most people?

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Because as of now... as an adult, we get two Halloweens... we get the last Saturday before the holiday as an unofficial night to do parties, and we also get the 31st to do the traditional stuff. Combining these will only benefit the kids, and fuck them kids.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Don't a lot of communities move the day to a weekend anyways? Like for kids and stuff.

There's no reason to mandate a certain day.

rafiki

Alt account
Banned
May 18, 2019
i would be okay with that. But i am too old for Halloween parties and shit, so it doesn't make any difference to me

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
Nope keep it the 31st, fuckers already do dumb shit on a Tuesday Halloween can't imagine a Saturday..

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
No. It removes the whole supernatural aspect of the 31st if we can just move the Holiday. And yes I do fully care about this lol.

Let's make the witching hour 8 PM while we're at it so I don't have to stay up. Fucking nope. Let's move Christmas while we're at it.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
The reason not to do it --> Neighbourhoods would rather kids go home earlier rather than have random strangers in and out of the neighbourhood later than usual.

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I mean it's not an official holiday so they can celebrate when they want. I guess theres some local ordinances at play but still...

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Trick or treat is almost always the closest Friday to Halloween anyway at least in my area. Not sure what problem this really solves

OP
OP
Meg Cherry

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Because as of now... as an adult, we get two Halloweens... we get the last Saturday before the holiday as an unofficial night to do parties, and we also get the 31st to do the traditional stuff. Combining these will only benefit the kids, and fuck them kids.
What would stop people from having Halloween parties on the 31st? If anything, this formally separates Adult Halloween as a separate holiday for the 31st proper.

Oct 27, 2017
No. It removes the whole supernatural aspect of the 31st if we can just move the Holiday. And yes I do fully care about this lol.

Let's make the witching hour 8 PM while we're at it so I don't have to stay up. Fucking nope. Let's move Christmas while we're at it.
I know you made all these suggestions to be un-agreeable and silly, but I honestly wouldn't care about any of those changes. They're just silly dates/times that were pretty arbitrarily placed back in the day, and only upheld today because of "tradition"

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
It's a religious holiday (OK technically the celebration the night before a religious holiday) so no. Communities already move official trick-or-treating dates.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck you! That's like trying to move Christmas or the 4th of July.

People who only care about partying suck ass.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I know you made all these suggestions to be un-agreeable and silly, but I honestly wouldn't care about any of those changes. They're just silly dates/times that were pretty arbitrarily placed back in the day, and only upheld today because of "tradition"
I guess Christmas is already an arbitrarily picked date even for people who believe. But stuff like the witching hour has so little basis that tradition is all it has. Moving the time reduces it to nothing. Same for Halloween.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like 63,000 people being for something in the US means 299,937,000 people could be against it.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People drunk driving from Halloween parties on Saturday night + kids walking in the streets trick-or-treating = ???

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Wait, what adults celebrate Halloween the whole month?

If this happened, I doubt it would get 100% adoption so you'd have like mass confusion. Like why are you at my house on Saturday begging for candy?

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being so shallow you want to try making Halloween even less about the kids.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
There's technically a religious reason why it's on the 31st. It's the first day of a three day Christian observance of spirits and of souls of those who have passed away. It's the same reason Mexicans celebrate the "pagan" Day of the Dead on Nov 2nd, as it's All Souls Day in the Christian calendar.

Some Christian communities around the world still hold mass on the 31st for that reason. So, I think it should stay put because of that. It's part of the allure.

OP
OP
Meg Cherry

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA

Eh, I also wouldn't mind moving Indepence Day to the first Friday of July - but that's obviously tougher due to the naming convention.

Christmas falls into the religious camp, obviously not going to shift.

Halloween's a made up holiday about nothing, nothing is lost by shifting the callendar date.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Shit, why not do this for ALL holidays - provided they're not attached to a specific date for very obvious religious reasons. Holidays are an inherently made up concept - why not make them up in a way that benefits the most people?

Let's move all holidays to the weekend so nobody ever gets any time off from work! YAY!

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017

No one gives two shits about any sacred tradition tied to October 31st. From the youngest child to the oldest adult, Halloween is about dressing up, scary stuff, candy, and partying.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
Halloween is my birthday and I will have none of this bullshit. It's the 31st. Deal with it and your November 1st hangover.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, what adults celebrate Halloween the whole month?

If this happened, I doubt it would get 100% adoption so you'd have like mass confusion. Like why are you at my house on Saturday begging for candy?
Me, Halloween shit happens all month long. Parties, haunted houses, pumpkin carving, interactive theater, scary movies, corn field mazes, costume creation, hell yeah.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
That's my wedding anniversary. Plus, anytime Halloween has fallen on a weekday, most parties and stuff usually take place the weekend before. This is just dumb. I honestly wish they would just turn it into a national holiday. Hell, I treat it as one anyway.

And yes, my household celebrates Halloween all month long.

nomster

Oct 27, 2017
This has been my argument for years. It's better for people with kids, better for people without. No losers here. In Chicago St Patrick's day "official" is always the Saturday before too. It works well.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No one gives two shits about any sacred tradition tied to October 31st. From the youngest child to the oldest adult, Halloween is about dressing up, scary stuff, candy, and partying.
lol the fuck are you talking about, why do you think I care about anything but those things? Dressing up, scary stuff, and candy ARE the tradition.

Why don't you just make Halloween the last Saturday in April or some shit then

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
It's fine having a moveable holiday, the more the merrier but Halloween can trace back that date to celtic traditions around 3500 bce, i would keep Halloween as is.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
lol the fuck are you talking about, why do you think I care about anything but those things? Dressing up, scary stuff, and candy ARE the tradition.

Why don't you just make Halloween the last Saturday in April or some shit then
Bro you don't understand it has to be in October because of tradi-ohhhhhhhhhhh