• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Got GPU until September 2023, hope there's some sort of exploit still licking then lol

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your point being? I spent that money on actual hardware, not just $60 for the privilege of playing games online for 6 months, my online gameplay is free.
its $20 dollars. the level of outrage is insane for what people pay for games.

the level of vitriol for these prices when people drop 1000K for one piece of hardware. it's such a mismatch between the self righteousness and what is happening.

also if you say you play PC why do you care about what console players are paying?

Last edited:

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What a horrible way to make you buy ultimate or get use to a much higher price, why do shit like that. If online is free pretty soon as standard, great and then people are happy to pay that price for Ultimate if they like the service, this is a totally shit way to do it and if online isn't going free, what a joke this rise is.

Dec 31, 2017
I'm wondering if Gold could now include Gamepass as a perk? Although the naming scheme would be weird as you'd have Gold and then Game Pass Ultimate which doesn't really make sense.

I think they are just making live Gold a thing of the past by raising the price and inciting people to get GPU.

dom

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

the level of vitriol for these prices when people drop 1000K for one piece of hardware. it's such a mismatch between the self righteousness and what is happening.

also if you say you play PC why do you care about what console players are paying?
How nice of you to offer to pay the difference for everyone here.

Nebuzel

Oct 27, 2017
12 month subs are no longer available, so to get 12 months, you have to pay double what it used to be (60). It's a genuine dick move.

12 months of Gold for $60 is (still) available at most retailers and online stores. It was only not available directly through the Microsoft Store.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
12 months of Gold for $60 is available at most retailers. It was only not available directly through the Microsoft Store.

Sure, until it sells out. Do you think they'll simultaneously keep $60 cards for 6 months and 12 months? That would be idiocy.

The reason behind this is extremely obvious: They want to drop the paywall for online MP, but can't fully justify it (perhaps Phil can't sell the idea to Nadella) because it would look very, very bad initially for their shareholders. Given they switched to a service-driven model, it would look at first glance like they lost a ton of MAU.

So what they're doing is trying to quickly push people towards Game Pass, so they can later drop Gold altogether.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Damn, that's crazy.

Just checked and you can still find cards here in Europe for €40 for a whole year. Although I think 50-60 is the rrp

Nebuzel

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, until it sells out. Do you think they'll simultaneously keep $60 cards for 6 months and 12 months? That would be idiocy.

That isn't what you said originally. You said it is "no longer available." You were referencing the idea that 12-month is not available (since last Summer) , but confused Microsoft not selling it through their store and it actually being available at every other retailer. Choose your words more wisely next time.

"12 month subs are no longer available, so to get 12 months, you have to pay double what it used to be (60)."

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How nice of you to offer to pay the difference for everyone here.
Skip four meals in restaurants.

Its an insignificant sum. Again. People are paying $70 dollars for games monthly and buying really expensive action figures and TVs and soundsystems are upset they might need to readjust their budget? Prices go up. Again, for this being an enthusiast forum its just funny. Yeah it might be a bigger hit for some. But still its like substituting four take out meals to cooking at home.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 weeks): Hostility, multiple prior infractions for similar

It's double the price I know facts escape you but don't let your pathetic bootlicking get in the way of that.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's double the price I know facts escape you but don't let your pathetic bootlicking get in the way of that.
OMG its $60 dollars. its not bootlicking. I just find it funny that nobody is willing to engage with the fact that people complaining about this aren't harmed by this. They just love to pretend to be mad. Most people in here are saying, no, I won't pay that. I'm sure microsoft is fine with that.

One must not always take the side of uppermiddle class enthusiasts buying 2000 gaming rigs who brag about not playing consoles complaining.

Nebuzel

Oct 27, 2017
Skip four meals in restaurants. Its an insignificant sum. Again. People are paying $70 dollars for games monthly and buying really expensive action figures and TVs and soundsystems are upset they might need to readjust their budget?

It is a bad look if it turns out to be true. Telling people to skip restaurant meals doesn't help. The cost increase adds up over time, especially if other services have small increases too. Throwing away money, even if is $5 every month, adds up over time, especially when it is compounded by the cost of other things.

The value of Gold hasn't gone up to warrant a cost increase like this. I expect the Gold requirement to be dropped for Free 2 Play games in the near-future (by the time Halo Infinite releases), but this is a weird approach by Microsoft if it turns out to be true. It is more likely to turn away gamers than to make them say "now I'll get Game Pass." I don't really buy the line of thought that it is a way to nudge people.

Deleted member 78123

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 16, 2020
Fucking yikes...good thing that I have game pass ultimate until 2023.

This is terrible. Games with gold got really bad after game pass, it's just not worth it anymore.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is a bad look if it turns out to be true. Telling people to skip restaurant meals doesn't help. Humans are social creatures.

The value of Gold hasn't gone up to warrant a cost increase like this. I expect the Gold requirement to be dropped for Free 2 Play games in the near-future (by the time Halo Infinite releases), but this is a weird approach by Microsoft if it turns out to be true. It is more likely to turn away gamers than to make them say "now I'll get Game Pass." I don't really buy the line of thought that it is a way to nudge people.
It's a luxury, just like a restaurant meal.

this is just "consumer rights" about never facing cost increases on extremely non-necessities and believing they're entitled to them and should never have to face any kind of decision on what they spend their money on. They should always get every luxury provided to them.

And to the underlined. This isn't how prices are set. I don't like capitalism but this is always the most hilarious thing gamers get mad about when some of them buy $120 action figures (xbox lives' value is more than any action figure IMO.). It has such a nonmaterial effect on lives but you'd think it was a crime against humanity in some of the responses.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

Nebuzel

Oct 27, 2017
this is just "consumer rights" about never facing cost increases on extremely non-necessities and believing they're entitled to them and should never have to face any kind of decision on what they spend their money on. They should always get every luxury provided to them.

And to the underlined. This isn't how prices are set. I don't like capitalism but this is always the most hilarious thing gamers get mad about when some of them buy $120 action figures (xbox lives' value is more than any action figure IMO.). It has such a nonmaterial effect on lives but you'd think it was a crime against humanity in some of the responses.

As I said, I expect F2P games to lose the Gold requirement by the time Halo Infinite releases. Game Pass Ultimate does have serious value, but Microsoft exaggerating the cost of Gold to nudge people will ultimately be a lackluster strategy because it increases consumer resentment. Why try to build on negative vibes? It doesn't make sense.

Assuming this increase is true, which hasn't been confirmed and may be totally fake, the issue is that an alternative service like Playstation Plus has not announced this increase (maybe it will). XBox platform games can also be played on PC and Mobile (Cloud) without Gold. So the idea that Microsoft is going to substantially increase the cost of Gold for console users, for no real reason, is a bad look. Is it worth adding consumer resentment in order to "nudge" people towards Game Pass. Don't think so. They can win Game Pass subscribers by other means.

Making people pay $100+ for a year of Gold isn't going to make people say, let me pay an additional 80 for a year of Ultimate (at 15 x 12). It is going to make people say, maybe I'll look to play in a different ecosystem. Doesn't make sense. This is why I am skeptical of this whole thing.

Streusel

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Dec 28, 2017
shitty. i guess that like with Gamepass, they don't want to have a reduced price for purchasing multiple months anymore. 10 dollar/ 7 euro per month, no exceptions. i don't think they're increasing the monthly price, too.

Last edited:

Deleted member 86306

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2020
It's a luxury, just like a restaurant meal.

The hell are you going on about. The price of something that SHOULD be free just doubled (presumably), how about you let people be angry...

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like the 12 month sub going away I think this is a direct response to people abusing Gold conversion to load up on years of super cheap GPU - which I did myself. It was an absurd steal even before the Bethesda acquisition.

I think they have been fine with it to push their numbers. It's just ridiculous how long the conversion promo is going and that you can just switch stores and use cheap codes from other countries.

Could have stopped it way easier.

If this means they will also raise the GP price, I will be surprised that they are doing it so soon.

Oct 30, 2017

Just because someone spends a lot of money on hardware doesn't mean people can't have an unfavorable opinion about a the value of service.

The hell are you going on about. The price of something that SHOULD be free just doubled (presumably), how about you let people be angry...
This is some really hard shilling.

My goodness.

Last edited:

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
It'll continue to go up in price as long as they think they can get away with it. This is what closed-platforms do -- make you feel like you have to go along with it, because by design there are no alternatives.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Still no one from MS or 1 of the reliable insiders shooting this down yet? $60 for 6 month is kinda just unbelievable.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Really gonna need comment from Microsoft on this because if it's true they can FOH with this, unless they're getting rid of games pass as its own thing and combining it with gold.

Guy Legend

Sep 22, 2020
A big price hike for online pay would be enough for me to switch primary platforms. Online play shouldn't cost money like this.

Plus Games with gold has been garbage recently.

pestul

Oct 25, 2017
Wow and I just Gold to GPU for 37 months last week.. I usually get the shit end of the stick but lucked out this time.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad I'm set until mid 2023 with Ultimate. That price just for Gold is insane!

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
lol remember when many thought they would make xbox live free before the consoles launched?

Status
Not open for further replies.