• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BlindCom

Dec 4, 2018
Nadal sure struggling big time today with his serve and his groundstrokes. Medvedev is letting him off the hook.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Or hope his body starts to break down.
He probably will break down but it will take 4 hours and 5 sets of grinding to do it. Not many guys can force that.

I wish Mevedev was playing a little smarter but that's not easy to do in your first GS finals. Especially when this is probably like then 25th final appearance for Rafa.

BlindCom

Dec 4, 2018
That's because he doesn't have the weapons to hurt Nadal. He doesn't have a big forehand or backhand.

His game suits Nadal and it's a bad match up for him. Other players he'd get away with it.

Medvedev doesn't quite have the power to consistently hit through Nadal nor can he grind him down as easily as he would with other players yeah. That being said, the margin between today subpar Nadal and spraying Medvedev is fairly small.
I think it's mostly down to game management of the key moments between the two, Nadal is clearly superior in that department. Medvedev looks so green out there.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Can we at least create a clause in Nadal's contract where he can't bite the trophy?

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Does that Fed still exist?

He seems to have dropped a few levels.

And Fed didn't make it here. Nadal did.

I'd trust him to do better than Medvedev, and I mean no, he didn't. But that wasn't my point. I'm talking about the caliber of play needed to challenge what Nadal is doing today.

BlindCom

Dec 4, 2018
Does that Fed still exist?

He seems to have dropped a few levels.

And Fed didn't make it here. Nadal did.

I actually believe that nowadays Fed would crush Nadal (and by crush I mean winning in 4 or 5 tight sets despite being the superior player) on hard or grass, if they both play average or both at their current best. Talking about "post retirement" era though, so after 2017.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
And Nadals been in plenty of good finals. It's not his fault Fed or Djokovic couldn't make it.

Feds been non existent at the US open for years.

I'm gonna try this a different way.

Yes, Medvedev secured his place in the finals of the US Open. He deserves to be here. Federer lost to Dimitrov in the quarterfinals, Djokovic retired.

However, Medvedev does not yet possess the weapons to make for a serious challenge to Rafa Nadal. As a tennis fan, that continues to bother me because I've been watching these guys play since 2004-2007.

It is not natural that I should want a 37 year old man to once again have to fill this role again and again, but Medvedev just isn't there.

As someone else said, a 2000s born woman just won before a 90s born man.

BlindCom

Dec 4, 2018
Can't fault Medvedev for his effort though, he's doing whatever he can. Some pretty strong rallies out there, forcing Nadal to try finish points off at the net as often as possible.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna try this a different way.

Yes, Medvedev secured his place in the finals of the US Open. He deserves to be here. Federer lost to Dimitrov in the quarterfinals, Djokovic retired.

However, Medvedev does not yet possess the weapons to make for a serious challenge to Rafa Nadal. As a tennis fan, that continues to bother me because I've been watching these guys play since 2004-2007.

It is not natural that I should want a 37 year old man to once again have to fill this role again and again, but Medvedev just isn't there.

As someone else said, a 2000s born woman just won before a 90s born man.

It's his first final. He either can better or he'd fall by the way side, which we'd see.

I'd try this another way. Djokovic and Murray were both whipping boys for Federer and Nadal in the early years in slams. Djokovic then eventually started getting the edge.

Beating someone like Nadal doesn't happen overnight because he's probably one of the most awkward players to play because there's nobody that quite replicates his game on tour. It took Federer 14 years to finally figure it out. It took Djokovic a good few years. Medvedev if he wants to be a contender has to put himself in a position to play him more.

The US open courts suit Nadal more than Federer regardless as they are a lot slower than other hard courts. Nadal in the last three years would have played Fed in the semis or finals if Fed didn't get knocked out early.

Also you are discrediting Nadal. If he wins this he's beaten the most consistent hard court player of the summer. Just like he beat the second best clay court player in Thiem. I guess that was also Nadals fault. You play what's in front of you. If Rafa wasn't around, Thiem probably would have two slams.

BlindCom

Dec 4, 2018
I think Medvedev definitely has the right foundations in his game to compete with older GOATs as he progresses and as they decline.
Don't think this was an easy final by any means for Nadal despite the score but yeah the gap is that big between the rest of the tour and the Big 3.