• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
We'll never see a generation of tennis as good as this one again.

BlindCom

Dec 4, 2018
Hah umpire being booed, imagine if Nadal had lost this final after that third time violation that led to the key break.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
When Rafael Nadal Stadium opens at Roland Garos, players can eat a banana before every serve.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Kingdizzi

Banned
Aug 11, 2019
Medvedev looks like the real deal, you could tell Nadal was wondering what the fuck was going on after those first two sets, the young kid just came into his own.

It's so weird that the 3 greatest tennis players probably ever and also Murray were born within a few years of each other. There must have been something in the baby formula during that time. :P

No one since has really been able to come anywhere close to them and that's kinda sad, not as sad as Kyrgios playing but sad none the less.

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017
Medvedev looks like the real deal, you could tell Nadal was wondering what the fuck was going on after those first two sets, the young kid just came into his own.

It's so weird that the 3 greatest tennis players probably ever and also Murray were born within a few years of each other. There must have been something in the baby formula during that time. :P

No one since has really been able to come anywhere close to them and that's kinda sad, not as sad as Kyrgios playing but sad none the less.
Nick is supremely talented but he has issues...to say the least.

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't particularly care if Kyrgios gets it together or not. He won't be the first talented but immature player to burst onto the scene only to waste his potential and fade away, and he won't be the last. If he won't grow up, then that's on him.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I'm literally out of words for this final. It's almost 4AM here in Germany and I'm not sure when I will find some sleep. Wow.

Oct 27, 2017
Kyrgios really?

Maybe if it's a one week event he has it in him. But five set grand slam over two weeks he needs to sort his attitude out and quit playing too much COD. Then claim he doesn't want to be there.

This final and the Wimbledon one just showed come on put five sets in the women's final atleast ffs. I'm sure they not going to mind.

Serena maybe would have won the third set as she was getting better the match went on but it was too late for her. There's really no excuse for it not to be in the finals.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
This match reached the 5th set mostly due to nadal's 1st serve being nonexistent for 2 whole sets and medvedev also play well particularly in the 5th set but yeah if nadal's 1st serve was on point then no way in hell would this match even reach the 4th set, let along 5 sets regardless how well medvedev played in the 3rd set. But man nadal somehow came back and won the match, what a clutch 5th set from him but man he REALLY needs to work on his 1st serve percentage average. It 90% nearly costed him the championship.

Oct 27, 2017
Thiem on clay is probably the biggest threat outside Medvedev to the big three. He's beaten Djokovic twice at the French. Has beaten Nadal multiple times on clay, but Nadal has a voodoo over him like against everyone else at the French. But he improved by taking a set this year and it didn't really help him that he finished his match on Saturday vs Djokovic so he was tired coming into the final.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
As a teacher, I prioritised sleep over watching this. I can't be facing a day at school like a zombie...

Well done Nadal, but equal congratulations to Medvedev for being the first 'next generation' player to actually play a decent match, let alone a final at that, against one of the all-time greats!

Out of curiosity, why was the umpire being booed?

The US crowd being wankers as usual, or did something happen during the match?

sam777

Oct 27, 2017
As a teacher, I prioritised sleep over watching this. I can't be facing a day at school like a zombie...

Well done Nadal, but equal congratulations to Medvedev for being the first 'next generation' player to actually play a decent match, let alone a final at that, against one of the all-time greats!

Out of curiosity, why was the umpire being booed?

The US crowd being wankers as usual, or did something happen during the match?
Gave Nadal a time violation on break point, so he lost his first serve. Then he went on to double fault and Medvedev got one of the breaks back in the 5th

Apr 24, 2018
What a match! Medvedev should leave this one with his head held high, even in defeat. He was extremely gracious in the post-match interview, as well. He should be commended on the effort that he gave when down 2 sets and a break. I knew he was going to be a tough out for the Big 3 sooner rather than later after he gave Djokovic a tough battle at the AO this year.

Dispatch

Oct 25, 2017
Gave Nadal a time violation on break point, so he lost his first serve. Then he went on to double fault and Medvedev got one of the breaks back in the 5th

To be fair, Nadal earned that violation. I'd like to see it be like the shot clock in basketball so it goes off when it reaches zero and if you haven't served by then, it's a fault. If a player is worried about the noise of the buzzer disrupting their serve, then serve with a few seconds left on the clock.

I'm not a great (or even good) player, but it always struck me as ridiculous that it needs to be absolutely quiet during tennis matches because it's rarely quiet during any of my friendly matches. There's noise from other courts all the time. If someone can hit a baseball while it's loud, then professionals should be able to hit a tennis ball with some crowd noise.

And the same goes for golf.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Nadal has gotten away with making eeeeeeeeveryone wait on all of his bullshit for his entire career. I was ecstatic when they implemented the serve clock. The time violations were absolutely fair.

n8 dogg

Oct 25, 2017
Thought this was v good from the guardiab

Novak Djokovic arrived in New York with a shoulder injury, then Roger Federer suffered a stiff neck against Grigor Dimitrov. No matter. Rafael Nadal was there to represent the big three and to take his 19th grand slam title, putting him one behind Federer. So much is on the line in these last years of their careers and each final seems to be laced with more historical significance than before. Had Nadal finished off Federer in the 2017 Australian Open final, he would already be the leader. Had Federer won one more point against Djokovic this summer at Wimbledon, he would have fended off his two rivals for just a little longer. In the end, none of this matters. They have faced each other so frequently over the past 14 years that by now, everyone already knows who they consider the best and no outcome will change minds. But it sure makes for a good story.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair, Nadal earned that violation. I'd like to see it be like the shot clock in basketball so it goes off when it reaches zero and if you haven't served by then, it's a fault. If a player is worried about the noise of the buzzer disrupting their serve, then serve with a few seconds left on the clock.

I'm not a great (or even good) player, but it always struck me as ridiculous that it needs to be absolutely quiet during tennis matches because it's rarely quiet during any of my friendly matches. There's noise from other courts all the time. If someone can hit a baseball while it's loud, then professionals should be able to hit a tennis ball with some crowd noise.

And the same goes for golf.
Yea I don't really understand why tennis and golf require absolute silence while other sports the noise is part of the game. Every sport requires concentration.

Oct 27, 2017
Yea I don't really understand why tennis and golf require absolute silence while other sports the noise is part of the game. Every sport requires concentration.

I guess you haven't played tennis in real life.

Here's a quote from A Rod

You can hear how hard someone hits a ball," Roddick said. "If they hit it hard and flat, it really makes a popping sound. That's maybe one of the first things that tells you rather than actually seeing the ball. Like trying the drop shot, all of a sudden, I hear it not come off the racket. It's part of the reaction process. I think you need to hear the ball pretty clearly to play at your highest level.

Duckhee Lee became the first deaf player ever to win ATP game a few weeks ago. Hearing is very important in tennis because it allows you to know what type of shot your opponent is going to make.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I guess you haven't played tennis in real life.

Here's a quote from A Rod

Duckhee Lee became the first deaf player ever to win ATP game a few weeks ago. Hearing is very important in tennis because it allows you to know what type of shot your opponent is going to make.
I have, but obviously not at the "highest level" like that quote states. Now explain golf

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
The Third time violation was absolutely unfair. The crowd was wild and not everyone has to show sportsmanship and ruin a very crucial serve at a very crucial time. Unlike the 1st two time violation, the third one was unnecessary. The umpire himself wasn't being able to control the crowd and right when the crowd was shouting shit just before nadal's serve he had them quiet down and straight up gave nadal a 3rd violation when he was about to serve right after that. It wasn't a normal match, the crowd was roudy like in WWE and had to be controlled, you can't expect any player to play and take time normally in that situation. Doesn't matter if nadal used to take more time before.. at that moment, it was unnecessary to give so.